Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Head at Tucson Grocery
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Head at Tucson Grocery
God help these people.

Arizona congresswoman among 12 shot at Tucson grocery

By the CNN Wire Staff January 8, 2011 2:03 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- At least 12 people were shot at a Tucson grocery store on Saturday, and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among them, a Democratic party source told CNN.

Giffords, 40, was holding a constituent meeting at the grocery store when the shooting occurred, according to a schedule posted on her website.

CNN could not confirm conditions for Giffords or any of the others wounded, but the Tuscon Citizen newspaper was reporting that Giffords was shot in the head.

The Democratic source described the situation as "pretty serious,"
The shooting occurred at a Safeway shortly after 10 a.m. MST, according to sheriff's spokesman Deputy Jason Ogan.
Pictures from the scene showed a Giffords banner hanging from the storefront.

At least two victims with gunshot wounds were transported at Northwest Medical Center, according to spokesman Richard Parker.
"They've been coming in the last 10 minutes. I'm not sure of the severity of their injuries," he said.

Ogan said he did not have conditions on any of the wounded and said the motive for the shooting is unclear.

"We're just trying to sort this out right now," he said.
An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, told CNN that he heard "15 to 20 gunshots."

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:46 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
01-08-2011 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
RE: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Dead after Being Shot In Head at Tucson Grocery
I was going to post this story from a different source.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-gabri...d=12571452

While it is early and the news reports are often inaccurate, it will be interesting to note HOW the lame-stream media will report this.

How tragic that an elected official can be murdered (assassinated?) in broad daylight in front of other people. I would think that there should be some witnesses. If I was a betting man, given that she is a democrat, I'm betting that news reports will "speculate" that it was done by some unhinged Tea Party type wingnut or some unhinged anti-illegal immigration person. Of course, the truth will turn out to be neither.

Prayers for this congresswoman's family.

Other sources:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/...in-arizona

Gunman tackled and held, said to be a man in his 20s.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:31 PM by MileHighBronco.)
01-08-2011 02:26 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

RE: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Dead after Being Shot In Head at Tucson Grocery
(01-08-2011 02:26 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I was going to post this story from a different source.

While it is early and the news reports are often inaccurate, it will be interesting to note HOW the lame-stream media will report this.

How tragic that an elected official can be murdered (assassinated?) in broad daylight in front of other people. I would think that there should be some witnesses. If I was a betting man, given that she is a democrat, I'm betting that news reports will "speculate" that it was done by some unhinged Tea Party type wingnut or some unhinged anti-illegal immigration person. Of course, the truth will turn out to be neither.

This is truly disturbing. You left out Muslim Terrorist, and it's George Bush's fault. Isn't she related to the astronaut?
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:35 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
01-08-2011 02:31 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

No, I didn't leave out Muslim terrorist. No political points to be scored by the leftie newsers for using that one. Besides, those terrorists are not a threat, according to so many on the left.

This sad situation probably has nothing to do with politics, just a nutcase off his meds. But watch as some in the media speculate.
01-08-2011 02:35 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Married to him. The astronaut.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:37 PM by Paul M.)
01-08-2011 02:35 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Update at 2:30 p.m. ET:

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., is in critical condition and is still alive, says Sheriff Clarence Dupnik. He is being interviewed on MSNBC.

Dupnik says five people were shot and killed in this incident and seven others were short and wounded.

"She is a precious, decent human beinig and this tragedy is beyond my ability to articulate," says Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz.
01-08-2011 02:38 PM
Advertisement

CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Leave it to you wingnuts on either side to turn this tragedy into a political debate. The woman and others are in surgery, and you wanna trash her, and others? YOU are the pathetic ones.

The truth will ALWAYS will out, and I don't care how much you hate "liberals" or Democrats or progressives or moderates... no one deserves this. and certainly not the bystanders and people there for her meeting with constituents.

But please, keep speculating and acting foolish while the woman and others fight for their lives.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:54 PM by CountryRedHawk.)
01-08-2011 02:42 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others were shot by a lone gunman Saturday morning during a scheduled public event outside a Tuscon grocery store, according to an NPR report.

Despite earlier reports that the Congresswoman was killed, Reuters and Politico reported that she is in surgery and NPR retracted a report that she had died.

The Pima County sheriff's office told NPR that six others at the event were killed.

Giffords, 40, was chatting with a couple in her district when the shooter opened fire from about four feet away.

The shooter, described as a man in his teens or early 20s, was tackled by a bystander as he ran from the scene, according to NPR.

The gunfire erupted around 10 a.m. during the "Congress at Your Corner" event outside a Safeway store. A witness told CNN that 15 to 20 gunshots were fired during the shooting spree.

Giffords was shot along with members of her staff, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

The Congresswoman was known for cracking down on illegal immigration, urging deployment of the National Guard and new technology to protect the Arizona border.

Before her election to Congress in 2006, the Arizona native served in the state legislature.

Her husband, Capt. Mark Kelly, is a Navy pilot, a Desert Storm veteran and an astronaut.

She was one of 20 vulnerable Democrats singled out by ex-GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin for defeat in the 2010 elections.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:48 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
01-08-2011 02:43 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(01-08-2011 02:08 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  God help these people.

(01-08-2011 02:26 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Prayers for this congresswoman's family.

(01-08-2011 02:42 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  Leave to you wingnuts on either side to turn this tragedy into a political debate. The woman and others are in surgery, and you wanna trash her, and others? YOU are the pathetic ones.

The truth will ALWAYS will out, and I don't care how much you hate "liberals" or Democrats or progressives or moderates... no one deserves this. and certainly not the bystanders and people there for her meeting with constituents.

But please, keep speculating and acting foolish while the woman and others fight for their lives.

WTF are you babbling about azzhole?
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:54 PM by Paul M.)
01-08-2011 02:47 PM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Head at Tucson Grocery
(01-08-2011 02:31 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(01-08-2011 02:26 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I was going to post this story from a different source.

This is truly disturbing. You left out Muslim Terrorist, and it's George Bush's fault. Isn't she related to the astronaut?

This crap. and it's not babble when others are speculating. @sshole.
01-08-2011 02:53 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(01-08-2011 02:53 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  
(01-08-2011 02:31 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

This crap. and it's not babble when others are speculating. @sshole.

Crawl back under your rock, ChickenHawk.
01-08-2011 02:56 PM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

(01-08-2011 02:08 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  God help these people.

(01-08-2011 02:26 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Prayers for this congresswoman's family.

Damn if I can see where anyone is "trash(ing) her, and others".
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 02:59 PM by Paul M.)
01-08-2011 02:57 PM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Btw, I was going to say it was probably a mentally disturbed person.... but ya know, I'll go with the thread then. It was probably an illegal immigrant! Since she was anti-amnesty. And it Arizona.

In all honesty, Sum, you and another poster started the "Lame-stream Media" and commenting how it would be turned into a "tea party activist" etc. or even a Muslim Terrorist. So, my comments are valid, when you say crap like that.

But... I expect nothing less from a moral man such as yourself!

Prayers are with ALL those involved, and their families. As I said before... no one deserves this, especially an elected official doing his/her elected job.
01-08-2011 03:01 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(01-08-2011 02:42 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  Leave it to you wingnuts on either side to turn this tragedy into a political debate. The woman and others are in surgery, and you wanna trash her, and others? YOU are the pathetic ones.

People were saying prayers for this woman and you jump in with your name calling and trash talking and then want to neg my rep for calling you out as the azzhole you are? Priceless.
01-08-2011 03:05 PM
CountryRedHawk Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-08-2011 03:05 PM)Paul M Wrote:  
(01-08-2011 02:42 PM)CountryRedHawk Wrote:  Leave it to you wingnuts on either side to turn this tragedy into a political debate. The woman and others are in surgery, and you wanna trash her, and others? YOU are the pathetic ones.

People were saying prayers for this woman and you jump in with your name calling and trash talking and then want to neg my rep for calling you out as the azzhole you are? Priceless.

Nice to see you forgot to highlight "...on either side..." and a few other things, but please. Continue with your tirade against me for being pissed off that people (INCLUDING) the media, and those on here think it's appropriate to speculate and trash others while this woman, and others are fighting for their lives.

Thanks, but play again.

Sidenote, Is there not much security at a constituent meeting? I live in Joe Wilson's district, and he's pretty well liked here, but there's still ample security when he is around.... Though, I suppose it is damn near impossible to stop a lone gunman hell bent on destruction.
01-08-2011 03:12 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

Just responded to your tirade. And can you show me where anyone trashed her?

Dude, you gave me negs for name calling. I was showing how mine was in response to yours. Guess I should have just neged you for name calling.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 03:21 PM by Paul M.)
01-08-2011 03:18 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Yeah, Redhawk, I did start the lamestream media narrative. It has nothing to do with the congresswoman herself and nowhere did I trash her. Actually, when I posted that, I knew little of what she was about, her stances on issues, etc.

Since then I have learned that she had introduced legislation for the apprehension and prosecution of those financing and digging tunnels under our border, among other things.

My point, based on observation over the years is that the media might try to pin this on some conservative wingnut, as they have done numerous times with incidents in 2010, only to be proven wrong. However, with the gunman in custody, maybe it won't happen this time. But I'm not counting on that.

I'm so sorry that my thinking out loud has caused you such consternation. Sorry to break it to you that our political discourse now resembles that of 3rd world countries. How is this different or more egregious than making a movie about assassinating a sitting President, as some on the left side of the aisle did with Bush/Hitler? Or the many left wing loons who have publicly stated that certain conservatives should be taken out?

To have this kind of incident happen in our country reminds me of a 3rd world country. It is tragic and unacceptable, regardless of party affiliation. I'm praying that she pulls through.
01-08-2011 03:24 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Weather speculating that it's a 22 year old white male, a Lone Wolf, Islamic Radical, Tea partier, it's all the same, and it does not matter. In a free country, that it looks like the congresswomen might give her life for, people have the right for unfettered speech, you know the 1st amendment. Who is starting to look foolish?
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 04:03 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
01-08-2011 03:58 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I've met her although just briefly at an Astros game years ago. Mark Kelly and his twin brother have both piloted shuttle missions into space and I helped get the Kelly twins to appear at an Astros game when they played the Twins. Mark and Rep. Giffords were at the game and she was a very nice lady. Just awful occurrence. Prayers for the two who were killed and prayers to the ones who survived - I hope they recuperate fully.
01-08-2011 04:25 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
[Image: SARAH-PALIN-TARGET-MAP.jpg]

I'm guessing Sarah Palin doesn't feel that great about this graphic she used on her site during the last election period.
01-08-2011 04:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.