Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A&M's SEC bid contingent on other 9 B12 schools waiving right to sue - BU rumored to be holding out (MERGED)
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wyoming/LSU
Texas A&M may have a Baylor problem
09-07-2011 12:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fear The Frog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
RE: Texas A&M may have a Baylor problem
Wow...if true Baylor ain't letting go..
09-07-2011 12:48 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Oh boy. . . . . .
09-07-2011 12:49 AM
TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
Seriously? So all Baylor has to do is say "nah, we don't want to waive our right to sue" and A&M is stuck?

Is this the SEC's roundabout way of backtracking after second thoughts about expansion?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 12:50 AM by TomThumb.)
09-07-2011 12:49 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Quote:ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck Carlton
Source indicated Baylor is still suggesting "tortious interference" claim as a possibility against both the SEC and Mike Slive personally.

Looks like that Aggie who re-wrote the lyrics to "American Pie" had it right:

Quote:So come on: Ags be nimble, Ags be quick!
Ken Starr pulled out a legal trick
Cause court rooms are the devil's only friend.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 01:04 AM by Wedge.)
09-07-2011 01:03 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
How funny would it be if after all this fuss, nothing happens. 03-melodramatic 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-phew
09-07-2011 01:09 AM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Can you imagine being in a conference you were forced to stay in though? I don't see that being productive. That is just asking for more instability.
09-07-2011 01:11 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Funny to us. Not to A&M. After the way the A&M administration has pumped up their fans and supporters, if the Aggies meekly surrender and crawl back to the Big 12 just because Baylor "suggested" it might sue somebody, without even making them actually file a lawsuit and win it, then the A&M president might not be the A&M president for much longer.
09-07-2011 01:13 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
We have heard for a month-

"So what if it doesn't benefit Baylor as much, why shouldn't A&M do what is in it's best interest?"

IF this is true... (and that is a very big if) we will see that phrase flipped around.

"So what if it doesn't benefit A&M as much, why shouldn't Baylor do what is in it's best interest?"
09-07-2011 01:13 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(09-07-2011 12:49 AM)TomThumb Wrote:  Seriously? So all Baylor has to do is say "nah, we don't want to waive our right to sue" and A&M is stuck?

That would quite possibly be the funniest thing to ever happen in the world of college sports.
09-07-2011 01:16 AM
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

(09-07-2011 01:13 AM)Sammy11 Wrote:  We have heard for a month-

"So what if it doesn't benefit Baylor as much, why shouldn't A&M do what is in it's best interest?"

IF this is true... (and that is a very big if) we will see that phrase flipped around.

"So what if it doesn't benefit A&M as much, why shouldn't Baylor do what is in it's best interest?"

I'm just throwing this out there, I know it won't happen, but what if every SEC school threatens to sue Baylor if they don't sign.....

"So what if it doesn't benefit Baylor as much, why shouldn't us SEC schools do what's in our best interests?"

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Baylor, just bringing up the idea.
09-07-2011 01:20 AM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I don't see this as being successful. You can't imprison a school forever. There will come a day they are allowed to leave even if you do win and in the meantime you've ruined a relationship and gained a bad reputation.

There are withdrawal procedures and precedence has been set last year that you are allowed to leave the conference.
09-07-2011 01:22 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Hey, hey, hey, this WHOLE thing can be taken care of peacefully and gentleman like. Just get Baylor, the SEC, and the Big East/ACC together. As long as the SEC agrees to stop at A&M and Missouri the Big East will agree to take Baylor and Iowa State in addition to Kansas and Kansas State. Everybody gets a home, no lawsuits are filed. 03-wink

Seriously, that's kind of what Baylor is thinking, they're screwed if this goes down.
09-07-2011 01:25 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(09-07-2011 01:20 AM)Ron7098 Wrote:  

I'm just throwing this out there, I know it won't happen, but what if every SEC school threatens to sue Baylor if they don't sign.....

"So what if it doesn't benefit Baylor as much, why shouldn't us SEC schools do what's in our best interests?"

On what grounds? Not waiving a right to sue someone interfering with a contract? The SEC is putting this restriction in place themselves, how can they sue us?
09-07-2011 01:26 AM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

Is Baylor going to sue Colorado and Nebraska too?
09-07-2011 01:31 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(09-07-2011 01:22 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I don't see this as being successful. You can't imprison a school forever. There will come a day they are allowed to leave even if you do win and in the meantime you've ruined a relationship and gained a bad reputation.

There are withdrawal procedures and precedence has been set last year that you are allowed to leave the conference.

They're not imprisoned. They're free to leave any time they want.

It's just that the SEC doesn't want any part of them if it involves being dragged through a lawsuit.

It seems clear that the SEC isn't desperate to expand. They're just not highly motivated. What they're saying is that it would be nice to get A&M if they can as long as there's no fuss & no muss. But at the slightest sign of a problem, they're bailing.
09-07-2011 01:32 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(09-07-2011 01:31 AM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Is Baylor going to sue Colorado and Nebraska too?

And Oklahoma and Oklahoma State while they're at it?
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Same situation for the BE. If SEC does invite WVU from the BE when there are more suitable candidates available from the B12 and the ACC, then there could be a huge lawsuit involved from the remaining BE schools. I find it extremely puzzling for the SEC to all suddenly be interested in WVU before they go after UNC, VATECH, NCST, Missouri etc. If ESPN is even slightly involved with the SEC to damage the BE right before BE is about to negotiate the biggest TV deal in its history, there could be a huge huge lawsuit against the ESPN and the SEC. Since BE will most likely be signing with NBC/COMCAST, this could be ESPN's way of damaging its competition since ESPN is basically in bed with the SEC.

ESPN being in state of CT would not help them either. CT state attorney would not hesitate to protect the state's flagship university if ESPN is involved trying to damage the BE to screw up BE's future TV negotiation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

How can the SEC sue Baylor? The waiver apparently says that each school has the right to agree to waive or not. The difference between A&M and Colorado and Nebraska are two-fold, 1.)A&M is a state school, 2.)Baylor could argue that A&M's move lead directly to the destruction of the conference while Colorado and Nebraska leaving actually lead to a great TV contract. No A&M leaving, in Baylor theory, lead directly to Oklahoma and Texas wanting to leave the conference. Not that I'm agreeing with Baylor or disagreeing with them, just playing devil's advocate.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 01:35 AM by CatsClaw.)
09-07-2011 01:34 AM
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

(09-07-2011 01:26 AM)Sammy11 Wrote:  
(09-07-2011 01:20 AM)Ron7098 Wrote:  

On what grounds? Not waiving a right to sue someone interfering with a contract? The SEC is putting this restriction in place themselves, how can they sue us?

Each conference has exit clauses, and if Texas A&M did everything per the conference bylaws, there shouldn't be any lawsuits, period. Now if Texas A&M didn't go by the rules that they agreed to, then yeah, I think they deserve to be sued.

If you don't want a school leaving your conference, put in the conference bylaws that you can't leave. Don't think any school would sign something like that. But you can't expect to have exit clauses in the contract and then when someone wants out and goes by the rules that now the tables have turned and they can't leave because one school is upset and is threatening litigation.
09-07-2011 01:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.