Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy: ACC teams to Big 12 "unlikely but not impossible"
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
McMurphy: ACC teams to Big 12 "unlikely but not impossible"
listen to the last few minutes of the podcast. also some good stuff on the playoff.

He basically said he hadn't heard Clemson and FSU mentioned by any of his sources, which he said had been good to him. He reiterated Louisville would be next unless for some reason Notre Dame would be coming first. He also said that the Big 12, although they went out and got WVU, they want to stay more geographically based in the Midwest and didn't really want to go into Florida or over to Clemson. He did add the caveat that money can always change things and he's learned never to say never, but he was pretty definitive on not hearing anything about the ACC schools from his sources.
http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/20...nment.html
04-13-2012 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: McMurphy: ACC teams to Big 12 "unlikely but not impossible"
Don't let CatDaddy or your bargain-basement WVU fan read that, or this thread will spawn 5 pages deep.

FSU and Clemson are not going any place.
04-13-2012 10:44 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
Neither is the BIG XII past 10 members in the next 6 years.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2012 11:13 AM by Borncoog74.)
04-13-2012 11:12 AM
EERSFAN Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU
McMurphy's sources are in the Big East offices. They wouldn't know the first thing about what the Big 12 is planning. McMurphy will be the one to break Air Force or BYU or Fresno the Big East, but he won't be breaking any Big 12 news.
04-13-2012 11:45 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
and it begins.
04-13-2012 11:53 AM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

McMurphy: Big East :: Chip Brown: Texas
04-13-2012 11:57 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
LMFAO EerMeNow... McMurphy's track record > Chip Brown & Greg Swaim's track record combined...
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2012 01:18 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
04-13-2012 01:08 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-13-2012 01:08 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  LMFAO EerMeNow... McMurphey's track record > Chip Brown & Greg Swaim's track record combined...

Seriously. No one is perfect, but McMurphy has been more on the ball with realignment news than anyone. The thought that McMurphy is a Big East mouthpiece is also laughable - he has had some heavy critiques of the league and explicitly doesn't believe that they have any say in the new college football playoff discussion.
04-13-2012 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Dude, I've known Chip for 15 years and he is able to work sources better than anyone I've ever seen. Just because you follow McMurphy since you are in Pittsburgh you should probably relax on the shots beyond your scope of knowledge.
04-13-2012 01:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
McMurphy has more sources than just the Big East. He's had like a 90-something percent rate of being correct during realignment. If McMurphy is saying they aren't looking super heavily to go into the Deep South and Florida, they probably aren't. I'd imagine extending a bridge or two to WVU is where they're looking next. Louisville would definitely constitute one of those bridges.
04-13-2012 01:19 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(04-13-2012 01:17 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Dude, I've known Chip for 15 years and he is able to work sources better than anyone I've ever seen. Just because you follow McMurphy since you are in Pittsburgh you should probably relax on the shots beyond your scope of knowledge.

Unsure where I attacked Chip Brown here.
04-13-2012 01:19 PM
Advertisement

EERSFAN Offline
Banned

(04-13-2012 01:15 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-13-2012 01:08 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  LMFAO EerMeNow... McMurphey's track record > Chip Brown & Greg Swaim's track record combined...

Seriously. No one is perfect, but McMurphy has been more on the ball with realignment news than anyone. The thought that McMurphy is a Big East mouthpiece is also laughable - he has had some heavy critiques of the league and explicitly doesn't believe that they have any say in the new college football playoff discussion.

He's not a complete stooge and he understands reality re: the Big East, but to suggest he has inside info apart from his Providence connections is news to people who follow this type of thing.
04-13-2012 01:20 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
banning myself from this board... *outro*
04-13-2012 01:22 PM
EERSFAN Offline
Banned

(04-13-2012 01:19 PM)brista21 Wrote:  McMurphy has more sources than just the Big East. He's had like a 90-something percent rate of being correct during realignment. If McMurphy is saying they aren't looking super heavily to go into the Deep South and Florida, they probably aren't. I'd imagine extending a bridge or two to WVU is where they're looking next. Louisville would definitely constitute one of those bridges.

I'm unaware of anything McMurphy said that was wrong, other than when he repeated a report from the Cincinnati Rivals site that said WVU had applied and been rejected from the SEC and ACC (and really, that was just semantics as neither conference was going to admit WVU). But his rep is built on breaking all the comings and goings of the Big East teams. That's provided for a pretty good track record given there have been a lot of Big East teams moving around.
04-13-2012 01:25 PM
Cn2147237 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Big 12
I doubt that any of his sources have heard anything about it either. Who knows what will happen but I can tell you one thing: The Big 12 has been in more than exploratory talks with certain ACC teams. It all comes down to money -- either ACC or Big 12 -- and if The Big 12 has a substantial difference in annual tv rev.
04-13-2012 01:39 PM
fsugrad99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU
Reputable media member from the #1 source for college sports business reporting (CBS Sports kind of owns realignment and BCS talks right now) says it's BS.

Reaction - HE'S AN IDIOT

Message board poster says talks are definitely happening. TRUST ME

Alright then
04-13-2012 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(04-13-2012 01:46 PM)fsugrad99 Wrote:  Reputable media member from the #1 source for college sports business reporting (CBS Sports kind of owns realignment and BCS talks right now) says it's BS.

Reaction - HE'S AN IDIOT

Message board poster says talks are definitely happening. TRUST ME

Alright then

That pretty much sums it up.

POTW
04-13-2012 01:51 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Remember, the Big12 wanted ND, Arkansas & Pitt. How many did they get?

They can want FSU and Clemson all they want, they are not getting them. They will end up with Louisville and BYU.
04-13-2012 01:54 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(04-13-2012 01:54 PM)curtis0620 Wrote:  Remember, the Big12 wanted ND, Arkansas & Pitt. How many did they get?

They can want FSU and Clemson all they want, they are not getting them. They will end up with Louisville and BYU.

And if the BYU talks prove fruitless yet again, Louisville and another Big East school.
04-13-2012 02:00 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-13-2012 01:17 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Dude, I've known Chip for 15 years and he is able to work sources better than anyone I've ever seen. Just because you follow McMurphy since you are in Pittsburgh you should probably relax on the shots beyond your scope of knowledge.

I actually think Chip Brown is fine. He might get tainted info sometimes from Austin, but he's at least talking to legit decision makers there. Brown seems to get a bum wrap from a lot of fans simply because the Pac-16 deal didn't come to fruition, which I think is completely unfair. What he was reporting was absolutely true at the time in terms of plans and negotiations. The fact that those plans and negotiations ended up falling apart didn't mean that Brown's reporting was wrong. Everyone involved confirmed the things that Brown reported happened.

Greg Swaim, on the other hand, can't be counted on for info at all. He's just trying to get hits on his website.
04-13-2012 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.