Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All active discussions on PSU merged here, all others locked
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
All active discussions on PSU merged here, all others locked
http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/jim-d...ches/30771

Excerpts:

Big Ten officials are still in the early stages of debating how to handle fallout from the scandal. Among other ideas, the league’s presidents and chancellors could consider removing Penn State from the conference, one Big Ten leader told The Chronicle.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league’s operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

But the conference’s bylaws prescribe potentially severe penalties for member institutions that break lesser rules. Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to “show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated,” the Big Ten’s 2011-12 handbook says.

The Big Ten’s 12-member Council of Presidents and Chancellors must approve any decision to suspend, expel, or place on probation any member of the conference. According to the conference handbook, expulsion requires a vote of not less than 60 percent of the full council (a Big Ten spokesman said that figure is actually 70 percent, or eight members, which will be reflected in the 2012-13 handbook).

The Big Ten does not have a contingency scheduling plan should Penn State’s football team be banned from playing this or any season, a senior league official told The Chronicle. But fallout from the scandal has many Big Ten leaders on edge.

“This whole situation is unprecedented,” said Sally Mason, president of the University of Iowa and chair of the Council of Presidents and Chancellors. “It’s sports-related, but there were very significant moral, legal, and institutional failures.”

She and her colleagues plan to discuss those problems in coming weeks, but she has no early sign of what they may decide. “Until all of our presidents and chancellors sit down and talk in depth,” she said, “I have no idea of what the outcome is likely to be, and I wouldn’t want to predict.”
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 05:15 PM by 1845 Bear.)
07-19-2012 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Big 10 may consider removing Penn State from the League - LINK
If they vote on the expulsion of Penn State, only 11 votes will count...
07-19-2012 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kyle0614 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Penn State probably want be allowed to vote...

it will be 11 out of 11.
07-19-2012 09:57 AM
EERSFAN Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU
Guess we'll see just how high-minded the Big Ten really is. Cracks me up that the biggest talkers of "academics" and "student athletes" and "grand experiments" are the biggest jokers in practice, see Penn St, the Big Ten re: OSU/Sugar Bowl (& what of this Delaney scandal re: hooking up with Ole Miss co-eds during an investigation?), UNC football, Miami football, ACC's repeated underhand attempts to destroy the Big East, etc etc.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 10:23 AM by EERSFAN.)
07-19-2012 09:58 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
IMO, absolute worst case that PSU would see is that the B1G "boots" PSU out of the conference for a few years and monitor how the university does in enacting changes to prevent something like the Sandusky scandal from happening again. Once it is given the green light that the B1G is satisfied with PSU's efforts, then they will be invited back into the conference. In the mean time, PSU plays and "independent" schedule which, by luck, would be composed of 8 or 9 B1G schools for that year or 2 of independence...

Truthfully, I don't think PSU will get booted, but will likely be punished by the B1G by being barred from post season bowls or few scholarships for FB.
07-19-2012 10:03 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(07-19-2012 10:03 AM)miko33 Wrote:  IMO, absolute worst case that PSU would see is that the B1G "boots" PSU out of the conference for a few years and monitor how the university does in enacting changes to prevent something like the Sandusky scandal from happening again. Once it is given the green light that the B1G is satisfied with PSU's efforts, then they will be invited back into the conference. In the mean time, PSU plays and "independent" schedule which, by luck, would be composed of 8 or 9 B1G schools for that year or 2 of independence...

Truthfully, I don't think PSU will get booted, but will likely be punished by the B1G by being barred from post season bowls or few scholarships for FB.

That schedule you mention being indy Miko- not really possible. It'd be 2013 and 2014 seasons. The problem is that most of the Big Ten schools have their OOC schedule set.
07-19-2012 10:09 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
They aren't getting booted. They may get banned from playing in conference championship events, representing in conference bowl slots and/or the loss of some of their non-BTN revenue for a few years.
07-19-2012 10:17 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
The Big Ten realizes that they have to do something significant to protect the gravy train. If not expelling or suspending Penn State, then it's a serious change in governance like giving the conference the power to fire a coach. (Not that it would matter--anywhere but Penn State, Paterno would have been fired along with Sandusky in 1998 or shortly thereafter.)
07-19-2012 10:33 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
My prediction of Notre dame and penn state to the acc may come true after all...
07-19-2012 10:35 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
The Big Ten won't do anything to PSU other than voting to send them a letter disapproving of their conduct or something like that.
07-19-2012 10:39 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(07-19-2012 10:09 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 10:03 AM)miko33 Wrote:  IMO, absolute worst case that PSU would see is that the B1G "boots" PSU out of the conference for a few years and monitor how the university does in enacting changes to prevent something like the Sandusky scandal from happening again. Once it is given the green light that the B1G is satisfied with PSU's efforts, then they will be invited back into the conference. In the mean time, PSU plays and "independent" schedule which, by luck, would be composed of 8 or 9 B1G schools for that year or 2 of independence...

That schedule you mention being indy Miko- not really possible. It'd be 2013 and 2014 seasons. The problem is that most of the Big Ten schools have their OOC schedule set.

Not necessarily. I'm not sure if they are playing 8 or 9 conf games. If they are playing 8, then it could be done but would be very hard. If they are playing 9, then they could easily fall back to 8 to accommodate PSU.
07-19-2012 10:40 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(07-19-2012 10:40 AM)miko33 Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 10:09 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Not necessarily. I'm not sure if they are playing 8 or 9 conf games. If they are playing 8, then it could be done but would be very hard. If they are playing 9, then they could easily fall back to 8 to accommodate PSU.

In 2013 and 2014- the years where it would happen, they're playing 8 conference games. Most of the teams have 4 OOC games scheduled in both of the years.
07-19-2012 10:42 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
The Big 10 wont kick out PSU. They are the epitome of old guard.
07-19-2012 10:45 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Penn State is not old guard, jared, especially not in the B1G...
07-19-2012 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't think they'll kick out Penn State, but it's telling that they are willing to discuss it. That's a big deal.
07-19-2012 10:56 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Just remember PSU now has a tainted image and the Big 10 is very much about image. Rutgers could easily replace PSU, and keep the Big 10 in Philly and the Big Apple. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 11:12 AM by Wilkie01.)
07-19-2012 10:57 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I doubt they will kick out Penn State, but you never know.

I think it's also interesting that Delany is asking for power to fire coaches. I think that is whack.
07-19-2012 11:03 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-19-2012 10:57 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Just remember PSU now has a tainted image and the Big 10 is very much about image. Rutgers could easily replace PSU, and keep the Big 12 in Philly and the Big Apple. 07-coffee3

Everyone needs to talk tough right now in the media about hypothetical nuclear options (e.g. the NCAA, Big Ten) because the public is out for so much blood, but there's going to be a point where the news cycle subsides and the powers that be will step back some months (or even years) from now and they'll dole out punishment that might maim but certainly won't kill Penn State. There won't be any death penalty or conference expulsion.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012 11:06 AM by Frank the Tank.)
07-19-2012 11:05 AM
ConanX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fighting Gnomes
(07-19-2012 10:57 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Just remember PSU now has a tainted image and the Big 10 is very much about image. Rutgers could easily replace PSU, and keep the Big 12 in Philly and the Big Apple. 07-coffee3

Given the Rutgers is the last of the original BE that hasn't found a new home in one of the "Power Conferences" I could see them working the phones really hard right now trying to make this happen.....
07-19-2012 11:09 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-19-2012 11:05 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Everyone needs to talk tough right now in the media about hypothetical nuclear options (e.g. the NCAA, Big Ten) because the public is out for so much blood, but there's going to be a point where the news cycle subsides and the powers that be will step back some months (or even years) from now and they'll dole out punishment that might maim but certainly won't kill Penn State. There won't be any death penalty or conference expulsion.
I agree with you about conference expulsion, but I think there's a much better chance that the FB program will be shut down for some period of time. Not saying it will happen, only saying that I wouldn't bet on either side of the option right now.
07-19-2012 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.