Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNLV president: "We remain committed to the MWC"
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
UNLV president: "We remain committed to the MWC"
This according to today's Las Vegas Review-Journal.

I tried to post a link but it was rejected.

Says there's been no official contact from the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 08:47 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
12-19-2012 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UNMFAN Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: New Mexico
RE: UNLV president: "We remain committed to the MWC"
:) Figured this would happen.
12-19-2012 08:46 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
We've heard that line before. Lets see what happens!
12-19-2012 08:48 PM
UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
What is the fan POV? Do they even want in?
12-19-2012 08:49 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
Suuuuuuuuuure they do.
12-19-2012 08:54 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
How many western schools are we looking for again?
12-19-2012 08:55 PM
Advertisement

UNMFAN Offline
Water Engineer

(12-19-2012 08:49 PM)UHCougar07 Wrote:  What is the fan POV? Do they even want in?
Checkout RebelNet. The majority are disgusted by the idea.
12-19-2012 08:55 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
Either he's committed like everyone else has been or the Big East is having trouble attracting teams. Who knows.
12-19-2012 08:56 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Since the copyright trolls at the Las Vegas Review Journal don't allow links:

Quote:UNLV president Neal Smatresk, responding to an online report the Big East Conference is interested in adding the Rebels' football program, said the school intends to remain a Mountain West member.

"No official representing the Big East has talked to me," Smatresk said in a text message this afternoon. "We remain committed to the MWC."

A CBSSports.com article reported the Big East contacted UNLV and Fresno State to join that league in football.

Such contact could've occurred without anyone from the Big East reaching out directly to Smatresk. Also, whether UNLV showed any genuine interest or was accepting a call as a simple courtesy is a question.

UNLV athletic director Jim Livengood has been critical of the decisions by Boise State and San Diego State to take their football programs to the Big East next year while sending their other sports to separate leagues.

The Big East most likely would need to include all sports in any offer, and that would create a problem with extensive travels with member schools located throughout the country.

Livengood did not immediately respond to a message.

Also, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco has had informal conversations with Brigham Young, according to CBSSports.com.

Contact Mark Anderson at manderson@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2914.
12-19-2012 09:01 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(12-19-2012 08:49 PM)UHCougar07 Wrote:  What is the fan POV? Do they even want in?

Current POV, unsure where they stand or if the rumors have any legs to them:
"Not worth it. Please, no. Let's just stay put, and SDSU & Boise will come back."

POV once they've learned their schools have accepted their invitations:
"BOOOOOOOOOOOM!! N-B-E! N-B-E! N-B-E!"
12-19-2012 09:02 PM
Steve509 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: many

Overwhelmingly no. Not on the radio shows or the message boards.

Keep in mind that UNLV gets around 60 million a year from the Thomas & Mack. Whatever gains they get from a nBE TV deal won't make that much of a difference. And they (the fans) are solidly against moving BB out of the MW.

It's very difficult to imagine UNLV would go for FB only. I don't know about Fresno.

I actually believe if FSU & SJSU were invited as a tandem, they might go. Both would be fine in the BW and all three of the large cal st schools would be in the same conferences.

Also, UNLV could meet with some resistance from the NV Board of Regents, even if they wanted to go. They'd also have significant resistance from their fans and maybe even their donors. And UNLV used to be in the Big West. They tried for years to get out. It would generally be seen as a giant step backwards. BB rules the roost at UNLV. They like the MW where even the bottom of the league is pretty good.
12-19-2012 09:10 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(12-19-2012 09:01 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Since the copyright trolls at the Las Vegas Review Journal don't allow links:

Quote:UNLV president Neal Smatresk, responding to an online report the Big East Conference is interested in adding the Rebels' football program, said the school intends to remain a Mountain West member.

"No official representing the Big East has talked to me," Smatresk said in a text message this afternoon. "We remain committed to the MWC."

A CBSSports.com article reported the Big East contacted UNLV and Fresno State to join that league in football.

Such contact could've occurred without anyone from the Big East reaching out directly to Smatresk. Also, whether UNLV showed any genuine interest or was accepting a call as a simple courtesy is a question.

UNLV athletic director Jim Livengood has been critical of the decisions by Boise State and San Diego State to take their football programs to the Big East next year while sending their other sports to separate leagues.

The Big East most likely would need to include all sports in any offer, and that would create a problem with extensive travels with member schools located throughout the country.

Livengood did not immediately respond to a message.

Also, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco has had informal conversations with Brigham Young, according to CBSSports.com.

Contact Mark Anderson at manderson@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-2914.

The UNLV president is likley not lying. Any contact would likley have occurred through an intermediary. It would not be any offcial from the Big East. As of tonight, UNLV is still committed to the Mountain West. UNLV will remain commited to the Mountain West until the day they say they are not---which typically happens at a press conference announcing a change of affiliation.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 09:17 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-19-2012 09:17 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-19-2012 09:10 PM)Steve509 Wrote:  

Overwhelmingly no. Not on the radio shows or the message boards.

Keep in mind that UNLV gets around 60 million a year from the Thomas & Mack. Whatever gains they get from a nBE TV deal won't make that much of a difference. And they (the fans) are solidly against moving BB out of the MW.

It's very difficult to imagine UNLV would go for FB only. I don't know about Fresno.

I actually believe if FSU & SJSU were invited as a tandem, they might go. Both would be fine in the BW and all three of the large cal st schools would be in the same conferences.

Also, UNLV could meet with some resistance from the NV Board of Regents, even if they wanted to go. They'd also have significant resistance from their fans and maybe even their donors. And UNLV used to be in the Big West. They tried for years to get out. It would generally be seen as a giant step backwards. BB rules the roost at UNLV. They like the MW where even the bottom of the league is pretty good.

This is exactly correct. UNLV wont care about a few extra million from the TV contract. However, if the TV contract offers UNLV way more national exposure, they will be VERY interested in that. The current Mountain West contract pays peanuts and offers terrible exposure.
12-19-2012 09:20 PM
fresnostatebulldogfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
(12-19-2012 08:56 PM)monty Wrote:  Either he's committed like everyone else has been or the Big East is having trouble attracting teams. Who knows.

My guess that nobody has directly contacted the UNLV president that being said I am sure there are some conversations happening on some important levels.... I would also add that once talks start heating up... it will be hard for nBE to attract the MWC schools... nBE will have to really bring it and make it worth the move otherswise I see the presidents (MWC) trying to work out the MWC TV deals!!!! Fact is CBS will be good shape if they re-do the MWC TV deals because nBE is looking to piece meal their sports which in the long run will cost more money to the networks... if CBS re-does the MWC they will only have to offer enough money ad include BSU and SDSU in that deal to make the nBE deal not worth the spilt in sports and travel... I think the MWC has the upper hand in that re-nogotiation deal.
12-19-2012 09:21 PM
FoKuZ Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNM Lobos
(12-19-2012 09:21 PM)fresnostatebulldogfan Wrote:  
(12-19-2012 08:56 PM)monty Wrote:  Either he's committed like everyone else has been or the Big East is having trouble attracting teams. Who knows.

My guess that nobody has directly contacted the UNLV president that being said I am sure there are some conversations happening on some important levels.... I would also add that once talks start heating up... it will be hard for nBE to attract the MWC schools... nBE will have to really bring it and make it worth the move otherswise I see the presidents (MWC) trying to work out the MWC TV deals!!!! Fact is CBS will be good shape if they re-do the MWC TV deals because nBE is looking to piece meal their sports which in the long run will cost more money to the networks... if CBS re-does the MWC they will only have to offer enough money ad include BSU and SDSU in that deal to make the nBE deal not worth the spilt in sports and travel... I think the MWC has the upper hand in that re-nogotiation deal.

Add BYU, whom has not denied MWC talks, and the MWC wins the tug of war.
12-19-2012 09:27 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
Personally, I have a hard time seeing UNLV break up their sports just to be a football only step child in the BE. Only if the nBE planned on expanding with an all sports western division would UNLV really make sense.

Now Fresno State and SJSU would probably be excellent football only additions with the Big West as an option to house their other sports. In such a scenario, you could say the Big West would be one of the biggest beneficiaries in all of this conference merry go round.
12-19-2012 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Blood and Ebony Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: San Diego State

Translation: "We are thrilled to join the Big East. We look forward to adding to the exposure of our great university. We are working out the final details of a multi year plan that will ultimately have UNLV competing in a all sports conference in the Big East."
12-19-2012 09:30 PM
UNMFAN Offline
Water Engineer

(12-19-2012 09:30 PM)Blood and Ebony Wrote:  "No official representing the Big East has talked to me," Smatresk said in a text message this afternoon. "We remain committed to the MWC."

Translation: "We are thrilled to join the Big East. We look forward to adding to the exposure of our great university. We are working out the final details of a multi year plan that will ultimately have UNLV competing in a all sports conference in the Big East."

Yeah, ok.
12-19-2012 09:32 PM
k5james Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
Lol, the influx of MWCers here suggests that the rats are starting to bail on the sinking ship...
12-19-2012 09:33 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
UNLV will join if offered an all-sports invitation. Guaranteed.... particularly if Fresno comes along for the ride.
12-19-2012 09:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.