I Root For: Syracuse
ACC Baseball
For the existing ACC guys

Can you get us (the newbies) smart on ACC baseball

1. Best teams historically
2. Typical attendance
3. How many scholies given out?
4. How ACC compares to the other conferences

BTW, some talk of Syracuse to add baseball. If we do..I expect to see most games away until late March. Personally I think the better play is add Men's Hockey as we can recruit Canada. The problem with Upstate NY is the best athletes now play lacrosse so baseball would have to recruit nationwide.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 10:10 AM by TexanMark.)
03-11-2013 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
RE: ACC Baseball
Acc baseball is some of the best in the nation. From va to unc state Clemson ga tech fsu and miami they traditionally are nationally rank. Many have stadiums rivaling minor league teams. I never been to the road games but attendance impressive.

I hear nd is very good as well. The hokies have a nice program- good coach but just struggle to be competitive. So is bc, md wake and duke.

It would be great to have the cuse play baseball, but my insight is its going to take lots of money and time to just to bring the program to be competitive, but fans are going to see some of the best programs in the NCAA,

(03-11-2013 10:09 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  For the existing ACC guys

2. Typical attendance

BTW, some talk of Syracuse to add baseball. If we do..I expect to see most games away until late March. Personally I think the better play is add Men's Hockey as we can recruit Canada. The problem with Upstate NY is the best athletes now play lacrosse so baseball would have to recruit nationwide.
03-11-2013 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
ND is 10-3. They just beat USC and #17 Oklahoma in a tournament in Los Angeles this past weekend. They lost by one run to #12 UCLA.

ND beat ranked teams as well in Virginia Tech and Florida Gulf Coast.

The Irish were ranked #22 in last week's Baseball America poll.

Their first home game of the season is next week.

They have played so far in Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina and California.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 01:13 PM by TerryD.)
03-11-2013 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
NCAA limit on baseball scholarships IIRC currently stands at 11.7.

Clemson is the historic baseball (pre-expansion) powerhouse of the ACC.
Florida State and Miami usually field good teams.
Carolina is 14-0 so far this year and is ranked #1 in both major college polls
The Tar Heels have played in Omaha (college world series) 5 out of the last 7 years.
03-11-2013 02:35 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

http://digitour360.com/unc/baseball/?SPI...EM_ID=3350

Boshamer Stadium-home of the Tar Heels
03-11-2013 02:43 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Wake Forest is the only ACC school to win a national championship in baseball while a member of the conference.
03-11-2013 02:47 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

ND has only been to the College World Series twice.

The first was in 1957. The second one was under Coach Paul Mainieri (now at LSU) in 2002.

The beat Rice and lost two 4-3 games to Stanford.

ND was way down after Mainieri left after the 2006 season.

The guy they hired (Dave Schrage) lost his wife to cancer shortly after taking the job. I don't think he ever recovered. He is now coaching at South Dakota State, I think.

ND is rebounding nicely after hiring Mik Aoki away from Boston College.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 04:19 PM by TerryD.)
03-11-2013 04:18 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Pitt started off this season by sweeping #32 Witchita State in Kansas...the first time someone has swept the Shockers at home in 43 years. Pitt is currently 9-4.

Pitt's program can best be described as a bunch of scrappy overachievers. It has gotten pitiful support. Pitt hasn't given out a full allotment of NCAA scholarships and has played in, until 2011, arguably the worst facility in Division 1 baseball. Seriously, it was that bad.

But with all of those obstacles, Pitt has been a bubble team in several of the last few seasons and has beat several ranked teams and typically has made the Big East Tournament. In 2010 Pitt cracked the Top 25 of Baseball America and College Baseball Newspaper for the first time in its history. It is producing more pro prospects than ever before, has a brand new facility (although small in capacity), and has gathered in the best recruiting class in its history this year. So things are looking up, but it still going to be a struggle to stay out of the ACC's basement. I'm really high on Pitt's coach and excited to see what he can do with more university support and the ACC banner behind him.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 03:03 AM by CrazyPaco.)
03-11-2013 04:48 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

Paco:

I recall the days of Trees Field (I think that was it) and it was bad.

I haven't been to the new facilities but the photos look great.

Pitt has had some pretty decent teams the few years. I recall some great hitters.
03-11-2013 07:30 PM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
Don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as someone who is very familiar with both ACC and Big East baseball, I'll make the following predictions with a good amount of confidence. Pitt will be lucky to escape the basement in any of their first three seasons, unless BC or Duke is worse than usual. I'll truly be shocked if they even finish 15th in a 16 team league... Notre Dame has been as disappointing as anyone in recent years. There's always a lot of hype, and a couple of good early season wins, but they consistently wilt year after year, and normally are seeded in the bottom half of the bracket in the Big east tournament. Assuming 12 of 16 teams make the ACC tourament, I see ND battling it out with VTech, Duke and BC for the final spot and wouldn't be surprised if they came up short. They're basically another Maryland, and they won't scare anyone... Louisville has had some nice teams and is a program on the rise. While they will be the team I root for, I honestly think they will struggle to play .500 ball in their early years. They simply don't have the depth, particularly pitching depth, that the top ACC teams have.... And a final word of advice to Syracuse, stick to club baseball. If you guys try to field a team and head down to play the likes of UNC, UVA, GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc... it's not gonna be pretty.
03-11-2013 09:45 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(03-11-2013 10:09 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  For the existing ACC guys

2. Typical attendance

Yeah, we're a couple of decades too late. Being able to recruit NYC back when NYC was producing top tier stick ball players would have been huge. Although if we ever do get a team, we should play at least one neutral series in Cooperstown and one series in NYC.
03-11-2013 09:50 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2013 09:45 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  Don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as someone who is very familiar with both ACC and Big East baseball, I'll make the following predictions with a good amount of confidence. Pitt will be lucky to escape the basement in any of their first three seasons, unless BC or Duke is worse than usual. I'll truly be shocked if they even finish 15th in a 16 team league... Notre Dame has been as disappointing as anyone in recent years. There's always a lot of hype, and a couple of good early season wins, but they consistently wilt year after year, and normally are seeded in the bottom half of the bracket in the Big east tournament. Assuming 12 of 16 teams make the ACC tourament, I see ND battling it out with VTech, Duke and BC for the final spot and wouldn't be surprised if they came up short. They're basically another Maryland, and they won't scare anyone... Louisville has had some nice teams and is a program on the rise. While they will be the team I root for, I honestly think they will struggle to play .500 ball in their early years. They simply don't have the depth, particularly pitching depth, that the top ACC teams have.... And a final word of advice to Syracuse, stick to club baseball. If you guys try to field a team and head down to play the likes of UNC, UVA, GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc... it's not gonna be pretty.

Can you give me next Saturday's Powerball numbers, Carnac?

I know that the ACC is a much better baseball conference, but look up ND's records during the Pat Murphy and Paul Mainieri regimes.

Check out ND's record and opponents this season.

Then.......(edit).
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 10:17 PM by TerryD.)
03-11-2013 10:13 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Miami is a historically strong baseball school. Our last national championship was in 2001. This season, I'd guess we're averaging around 2,300 per game. The Light (Alex Rodriguez Park) holds about 5,000.
03-11-2013 11:16 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-11-2013 09:45 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  Don't want to burst anyones bubble, but as someone who is very familiar with both ACC and Big East baseball, I'll make the following predictions with a good amount of confidence. Pitt will be lucky to escape the basement in any of their first three seasons, unless BC or Duke is worse than usual. I'll truly be shocked if they even finish 15th in a 16 team league... Notre Dame has been as disappointing as anyone in recent years. There's always a lot of hype, and a couple of good early season wins, but they consistently wilt year after year, and normally are seeded in the bottom half of the bracket in the Big east tournament. Assuming 12 of 16 teams make the ACC tourament, I see ND battling it out with VTech, Duke and BC for the final spot and wouldn't be surprised if they came up short. They're basically another Maryland, and they won't scare anyone... Louisville has had some nice teams and is a program on the rise. While they will be the team I root for, I honestly think they will struggle to play .500 ball in their early years. They simply don't have the depth, particularly pitching depth, that the top ACC teams have.... And a final word of advice to Syracuse, stick to club baseball. If you guys try to field a team and head down to play the likes of UNC, UVA, GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc... it's not gonna be pretty.

I'm also a graduate of Miami, and have a few games at Mark Light under my belt. I'll be shocked if Pitt finishes last. Pitt is already better than BC and Duke and competitive with ND and VT. (and btw, it will be a 14 team league) Pitt's recruiting class this year would have been 9th in the ACC according to Perfect Game (#40 nationally). I certainly don't expect Pitt to scare anyone, nor finish in the top half, but I also don't expect them to finish last. Yeah, maybe Maryland level. Pitt also finished in the top 3 of the Big East two of the last three years and in the top 4 of conference in five the last nine. It choked away at-large bids a couple of times down the stretch. Pitching depth has been its problem, partially due to scholarship issues.

As far as Louisville, you are talking about a program that is, right now, the second highest ranked team in the ACC according to Baseball America. They've been in the regional final two of the last three years and were in the CWS in 2007. Their facilities are incredible. They're going to come in to the ACC and compete immediately (depending on the experience on their roster in 2015...which I'm not adept enough to project). Sure the ACC is a great baseball conference, maybe the best, but this talk sounds an awful lot like SEC football fans.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 03:45 AM by CrazyPaco.)
03-12-2013 03:44 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
The polls vary but with current and future members the ACC has 10 ranked teams. I've listed the total CWS appearances below and the last year the school made it to the CWS. It should give you a better answer to #1.

School # Last
Boston College 4 1967
Clemson 12 2010
Duke 3 1961
Florida State 21 2012
Georgia Tech 3 2006
Louisiville 1 2007
Miami (FL) 23 2008
North Carolina 9 2011
NC State 1 1968
Notre Dame 2 2002
Virginia 2 2011
Wake Forest 2 1955
03-12-2013 06:57 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(03-12-2013 06:57 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  The polls vary but with current and future members the ACC has 10 ranked teams. I've listed the total CWS appearances below and the last year the school made it to the CWS. It should give you a better answer to #1.

School # Last
Boston College 4 1967
Clemson 12 2010
Duke 3 1961
Florida State 21 2012
Georgia Tech 3 2006
Louisiville 1 2007
Miami (FL) 23 2008
North Carolina 9 2011
NC State 1 1968
Notre Dame 2 2002
Virginia 2 2011
Wake Forest 2 1955

Yeah, baseball's pretty big at the U.
03-12-2013 07:03 AM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2013 04:18 PM)TerryD Wrote:  ND has only been to the College World Series twice.

The first was in 1957. The second one was under Coach Paul Mainieri (now at LSU) in 2002.

The beat Rice and lost two 4-3 games to Stanford.

ND was way down after Mainieri left after the 2006 season.

The guy they hired (Dave Schrage) lost his wife to cancer shortly after taking the job. I don't think he ever recovered. He is now coaching at South Dakota State, I think.

ND is rebounding nicely after hiring Mik Aoki away from Boston College.

Aoki is a Davidson graduate (IIRC his wife is from Lexington, NC).
03-12-2013 07:15 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Georgia Tech is like the Braves of collegiate baseball. They look like world beaters during the regular season and make a rapid and hasty exit in the post-season.

Georgia Tech vs Georgia at Turner Field holds the record for attendance at a collegiate baseball game at around 30K.
03-12-2013 07:25 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-12-2013 07:25 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Georgia Tech is like the Braves of collegiate baseball. They look like world beaters during the regular season and make a rapid and hasty exit in the post-season.

Georgia Tech vs Georgia at Turner Field holds the record for attendance at a collegiate baseball game at around 30K.

Oh man...you must of got an eyeful of Jorts, WalMart bought muscle shirts and beer bellies that game. Not sure whom is worst Bama or UGA fans.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 09:42 AM by TexanMark.)
03-12-2013 09:41 AM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
(03-11-2013 10:13 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

Can you give me next Saturday's Powerball numbers, Carnac?

I know that the ACC is a much better baseball conference, but look up ND's records during the Pat Murphy and Paul Mainieri regimes.

Check out ND's record and opponents this season.

Then.......(edit).

This isn't the Paul Mainieri era any longer, just as the football team rarely resembles the Frank Leahy era. In the past six years ND has been a combined 79-82 in the Big East, with one 3rd place finish being their best showing. The overall record is 173-162 during this time, playing a predominantly northern team schedule. No I'm not impressed with the early season success. Plenty of factors skew these early season games including many teams having had very limited outside practice time due to weather, and coaches viewing them as almost exhibition games, planning on using five or six pitchers, and numerous reserves, as they try to determine the roles of different players. Look, I'm from the north, and normally root for the northern teams to beat the southern teams. But I don't have blinders on, like a lot of people on these message boards, and will readily acknowledge there's no comparison between northern and southern baseball, although the northern teams do occasionally hold their own such as Stony Brook and St Johns last year. ND has struggled to remain relevant in the Big east, you're clueless if you think you're anywhwere close to being ready for the ACC. And no, I'm not Carnac, and can't predict lottery numbers, but if doing that was as easy as predicting ND will be getting buried in ACC baseball, then I'd have more money than Warren Buffet by now.
03-12-2013 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.