Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Forbes/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million..
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Forbes/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million..
Louisville is college basketball’s most valuable team, now worth $38.5 million, up from $36.1 million last year.

Louisville in regards to revenue in Basketball as compared to Football would be in the Top 25 in terms of revenue as well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2...ble-teams/
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 11:11 AM by Maize.)
03-19-2013 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Forbes Magazine/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million..
And we thank you for your support... 04-cheers
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzV-fC7RTLydzKZC7JR9_...pJHo8EZg6g]
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 10:35 AM by bitcruncher.)
03-19-2013 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Forbes Magazine/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million.
(03-19-2013 10:34 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  And we thank you for your support... 04-cheers
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzV-fC7RTLydzKZC7JR9_...pJHo8EZg6g]

Lol...don't be surprised that other schools look @ what Louisville & Kansas is doing...college basketball is still somewhat untapped in regards to additional sports revenue streams...need that winter content...04-cheers
03-19-2013 10:38 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Forbes Magazine/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million..
As long as it remains the NCAA's cash cow, it's going to be hard for a lot of schools to capitalize on basketball. Not every school has the built-in advantages that Louisville does. That helps considerably...
03-19-2013 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FreshPrinceOfDarkness Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas Tech
RE: Forbes Magazine/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million.
Doesn't Louisville play rent-free in an arena financed by taxpayers that is losing millions of dollars annually? What happens when that sweetheart deal is terminated in bankruptcy and Louisville must pay the carriage?
03-19-2013 10:47 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-19-2013 10:47 AM)FreshPrinceOfDarkness Wrote:  Doesn't Louisville play rent-free in an arena financed by taxpayers that is losing millions of dollars annually? What happens when that sweetheart deal is terminated in bankruptcy and Louisville must pay the carriage?

Yup. Can't really blame UL though, they did what was best for them. The city got bent over though.
03-19-2013 10:52 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2013 10:47 AM)FreshPrinceOfDarkness Wrote:  Doesn't Louisville play rent-free in an arena financed by taxpayers that is losing millions of dollars annually? What happens when that sweetheart deal is terminated in bankruptcy and Louisville must pay the carriage?

The Arena needs another tenent-(Indoor Football/NHL etc)...it will work out but the University itself is protected. Also, Louisville was @ the top in regards to revenue when we played in Freedom Hall as well...the Yum Center just widen the gap between #1 and #2.

The point is Kansas, UNC & Kentucky are also generating huge $$$$...Football is not the only cash cow...03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 11:28 AM by Maize.)
03-19-2013 11:13 AM
LongRifle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Forbes/Louisville most valuable Basketball Program making $38.5 million..
U of L was most profitable school the last several years before
YUM was built. And was in process of building a new arena when
the city bent its arm along with the state to go with the YUM.
It is true profit is not quite what was exspected. The main
reason is lack of dates availble when U of L is not using the
arena. And not only that but the state is so far behind in any
help to U of L because UK blocked everything for years and that
is the truth.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 11:47 AM by LongRifle.)
03-19-2013 11:24 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
RE: Forbes/Louisville
(03-19-2013 10:46 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  As long as it remains the NCAA's cash cow, it's going to be hard for a lot of schools to capitalize on basketball. Not every school has the built-in advantages that Louisville does. That helps considerably...

That is why basketball will be big revenue when schools break away from NCAA and start their own tourney.
03-19-2013 11:35 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Forbes/Louisville
(03-19-2013 11:35 AM)samandrea Wrote:  
(03-19-2013 10:46 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  As long as it remains the NCAA's cash cow, it's going to be hard for a lot of schools to capitalize on basketball. Not every school has the built-in advantages that Louisville does. That helps considerably...

That is why basketball will be big revenue when schools break away from NCAA and start their own tourney.

The current contract leagues plus the Aresco League, MWC, BIG EAST Basketball League, A-10, WCC & MVC is all you would need for a strong 64 Team Tournament...05-stirthepot
03-19-2013 11:38 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

Every time I see reports like this, I don't know whether or to be proud or embarrassed by how much UofL makes from basketball. UofL's basketball revenue equals the cost of the product to the fans (the consumers), and that is a helluva lot of money to pay for college basketball. I don't care how good it is.
03-19-2013 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2013 11:40 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  Every time I see reports like this, I don't know whether or to be proud or embarrassed by how much UofL makes from basketball. UofL's basketball revenue equals the cost of the product to the fans (the consumers), and that is a helluva lot of money to pay for college basketball. I don't care how good it is.

Don't remind me...the cost of the lower bowl seats are 03-hissyfit...it is NBA Lower Bowl $$$$$
03-19-2013 11:42 AM
gocards#1 Offline
Banned

Not really. The city offered the university that sweetheart deal because the city wanted the arena downtown. The university wanted the arena on campus. And the problem isn't that the arena is losing money (the arena made a healthy profit last year) the surrounding area isn't raising the tax revenue it promised. So it's not the university's fault for taking a deal it couldn't refuse. It would've been stupid for them to turn it down.
03-19-2013 11:58 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Louisville has the option to buy the YUM at FMV, which will be a steal of a bargin price in bankruptcy. Damn our leadership is smart at business matters. 04-cheers
03-19-2013 12:00 PM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas
Even with its cake arena deal, the most valuable college basketball team is still worth about 1/4 of the most valuable college football team.

Kind of makes it clear why football is the driving force in realignment.
03-19-2013 12:03 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(03-19-2013 09:58 AM)Maize Wrote:  Louisville is college basketball’s most valuable team, now worth $38.5 million, up from $36.1 million last year.

lol, that alone may be enough to piss off Chapel Hill and make them leave.

04-cheers
03-19-2013 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2013 12:03 PM)Big 12 Wrote:  Even with its cake arena deal, the most valuable college basketball team is still worth about 1/4 of the most valuable college football team.

1...no Texas Football makes way more then Louisville basketball but Louisville Basketball as compared to it Football counterparts still would be in the TOP 25.

2...just showing there are different revenues that a university can make.

3..the reason why Football is the driving force has a lot to do with the fact that the NCAA take the bulk of the Basketball $$$ for themselves...the conferences keep the Football $$$…goes back to the old CFA Days 07-coffee3
03-19-2013 12:19 PM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

(03-19-2013 12:03 PM)Big 12 Wrote:  Even with its cake arena deal, the most valuable college basketball team is still worth about 1/4 of the most valuable college football team.

Texas football= 103 Million
Louisville Basketball= 38.5 Million

1/4??????

Louisville Basketball makes more money than MOST NCAA football programs.
03-19-2013 12:29 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(03-19-2013 12:29 PM)ULdave Wrote:  

1/4??????

But the point still stands. The most profitable football school (Texas) makes way more money than the most profitable basketball school (Louisville). Look at Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, USC, Oklahoma, etc and look at their football revenue. It's no coincidence they're all football first schools.

Louisville has a nice thing going on for them on both revenue sports and I'm sure it's a nice thing being a Louisville fan these days.
03-19-2013 12:37 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2013 12:29 PM)ULdave Wrote:  

1/4??????

One of the reasons why Tom Jurich is once again up for AD of the year...Louisville while making only $3 Million from the BIG EAST in media rights still if currently a member of the ACC would have the 2nd largest athletic budget-(UNC would be #1) and the largest profit margin over UNC.

Now with the move to the ACC and the additional $14 to 16 Million in Conference Media Rights along with the addition of a FSU/Miami & Clemson to the Football schedule the Football revenues will increase as well. Not to mention for Basketball the current conference mates-(Syracuse, Notre Dame & Pitt) with UNC & Duke I expect a dramatic increase to what the University is already making...
03-19-2013 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.