Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The Big East and 2010, there are real issues!
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
The Big East and 2010, there are real issues!
Will we stay the same or will we change? We have proven we do not need to be associated with Notre Dame for football plus Notre Dame adds no value to basketball ! And what do Seton Hall and Providence really do for the BE besides take money from kitty? Should we be a 9, 10 or 12 conference! 16 is to many mouths to feed and we have a group of leeches that need to be booted!
11-18-2006 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

There is no reason to split untill there is someone out there that makes our football league better....Not a lot of talent in CUSA east these days

Jackson
11-18-2006 11:25 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Jackson1011 Wrote:There is no reason to split untill there is someone out there that makes our football league better....Not a lot of talent in CUSA east these days

Jackson

Remember, Cinci and USF have had the benefit of 3 BCS Big East Recruiting Classes (invited in Fall '03)...which helps their programs improve.

Any team that joins the Big East or any BCS Conference will "get better" just by having 3 little letters next to their name: B-C-S.

As Cinci and USF have improved with the benefit of promoting a BCS Conference...so can other schools in the future as well IF they end up joining your conference.

Bottom line...a team or teams may not make a conference better when invite is given (usually 18-24 months prior to joining), there are probably some programs teams can make a conference STRONGER in the long run...with is any conference's long-term goal. That's why most conferences will not invite a "flash-in-the-pan"...but a probable program that brings a multitude of positives.

KL
11-18-2006 11:55 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Despite the A+ season that we're having as a conference it is important to remember we are not on solid footing yet. BCS is secure but we need better bowl games and the way to do that is to show up and buy tickets for the bowl games we participate in.
11-18-2006 12:03 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

I agree....just because a team doesn't look "good" now doesn't mean they won't improve once in the BE....UC football is a testament to that.

For some reason I like East Carolina....

They already have a good fan base for football....they would be sold out for a lot of BE home games (unlike UC right now) and yea, their bball bites, but sticking to our idea that being in the BE will help improve them, I see them only getting better. I think they would be a good fit all around.....IMO.
11-18-2006 12:05 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

KnightLight Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:There is no reason to split untill there is someone out there that makes our football league better....Not a lot of talent in CUSA east these days

Jackson

Remember, Cinci and USF have had the benefit of 3 BCS Big East Recruiting Classes (invited in Fall '03)...which helps their programs improve.

Any team that joins the Big East or any BCS Conference will "get better" just by having 3 little letters next to their name: B-C-S.

As Cinci and USF have improved with the benefit of promoting a BCS Conference...so can other schools in the future as well IF they end up joining your conference.

Bottom line...a team or teams may not make a conference better when invite is given (usually 18-24 months prior to joining), there are probably some programs teams can make a conference STRONGER in the long run...with is any conference's long-term goal. That's why most conferences will not invite a "flash-in-the-pan"...but a probable program that brings a multitude of positives.

KL

Its not as much of a help as it was two or three years ago. That said, short of a Penn St or someone like that they would lose money by expanding.
11-18-2006 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

TopCoog Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:

Jackson

KL

Its not as much of a help as it was two or three years ago. That said, short of a Penn St or someone like that they would lose money by expanding.

Penn State would be great, but I don't see it happening (although the Big10 has done nothing for them and they've done nothing for the Big10...the BE would be a better fit for Penn State). But I still think ECU would be a good fit all around. Or Maryland, but again, I don't see that happening....they are a solid fixture in the ACC.
11-18-2006 12:11 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

TopCoog:

On a serious note.....because I've always wondered...

You guys used to be awesome in football and basketball and then you just dropped off the map. Was there one big thing that made this happen? Or was it a bunch of small things? I'm asking a legit question....it's weird how this happens to programs..(look at UC basketball...5 straight final fours, two national titles in late 50's/early to mid sixties and then nothing for 10 years...then good again inthe mid 70's, then dropped off the map until Huggs came)......

So...what happend to UH?
11-18-2006 12:14 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Bearcats#1 Wrote:TopCoog:

You guys used to be awesome in football and basketball and then you just dropped off the map. Was there one big thing that made this happen? Or was it a bunch of small things? I'm asking a legit question....it's weird how this happens to programs..(look at UC basketball...5 straight final fours, two national titles in late 50's/early to mid sixties and then nothing for 10 years...then good again inthe mid 70's, then dropped off the map until Huggs came)......

So...what happend to UH?

Yes, i will try to answer your question. When jack pardee left to go to the Oilers John jenkins took over the program. The run and shoot ear was at its height at that point. Jenkins was supposed to be the boy wonder but as often happens he took us off a cliff. At just that time we had some real instability in the administration and it the AD's job. We went through a series of bad AD's who made bad coaching hires. Hell, one AD resigned from a frickin phone booth in Kerrville. Over a 12 year period we had 2 winning seasons before Briles showed up. Most of the credit for the upswing you see now goes to Dave maggard, our AD. We have a great shot at 10 or 11 wins this year and might even be better next year. So yes, college sports in a roller coaster ride.
The same problems occured in basketball as well. I do not know how far Briles and Penders can take us but they should put us consistently back in the top 30 in both sports.
11-18-2006 12:24 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

TopCoog Wrote:

So...what happend to UH?

Yes, i will try to answer your question. When jack pardee left to go to the Oilers John jenkins took over the program. The run and shoot ear was at its height at that point. Jenkins was supposed to be the boy wonder but as often happens he took us off a cliff. At just that time we had some real instability in the administration and it the AD's job. We went through a series of bad AD's who made bad coaching hires. Hell, one AD resigned from a frickin phone booth in Kerrville. Over a 12 year period we had 2 winning seasons before Briles showed up. Most of the credit for the upswing you see now goes to Dave maggard, our AD. We have a great shot at 10 or 11 wins this year and might even be better next year. So yes, college sports in a roller coaster ride.
The same problems occured in basketball as well. I do not know how far Briles and Penders can take us but they should put us consistently back in the top 30 in both sports.

Thanks for the information.....and good luck to you...
11-18-2006 12:34 PM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Bearcats#1 Wrote:
TopCoog Wrote:

So...what happend to UH?

Good luck to you as well Bearcat.

Thanks for the information.....and good luck to you...
11-18-2006 12:43 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

There are issues. However there are very shaky candidates now. Maybe in the next 3 years someone will step up. I like Memphis, but they must recover after this season. I like ECU, but the basketball team is a major liability. I'm not as sold on UCF. All they offer is location and new facilities. They don't have game!
11-18-2006 12:46 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

A conference with UCONN, Syracuse, UL, UC (we're down now but still one of the top 10 programs in college hoops history accorting to Sporting News), and Pitt does not have to worry about what a new school does to the BB conference. Regardless of who we add it will still be one of the top 3 conferences in America year in and year out.
11-18-2006 02:02 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

RealDeal Wrote:A conference with UCONN, Syracuse, UL, UC (we're down now but still one of the top 10 programs in college hoops history accorting to Sporting News), and Pitt does not have to worry about what a new school does to the BB conference. Regardless of who we add it will still be one of the top 3 conferences in America year in and year out.

YUP!
11-18-2006 03:26 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Right. That conference would START with how many national championships? How many final fours? How many tournament berths?

They could anybody. They could add Navy.

I think if anything the real problem with the BEC now is the basketball side. 16 is too big. Sense of "community" is not there. Rivalries are being diluted by the need to play all of these teams.

Still, we seem to be "surviving" with 8 football schools. I don't think there will be a move to do anything in the near term, but scheduling will continue to be an issue, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Splitting is always an option that is available. But I don't expect it now.
11-18-2006 04:29 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

army56mike Wrote:There are issues. However there are very shaky candidates now. Maybe in the next 3 years someone will step up. I like Memphis, but they must recover after this season. I like ECU, but the basketball team is a major liability. I'm not as sold on UCF. All they offer is location and new facilities. They don't have game!

Nice analysis. :iagree:
11-18-2006 05:49 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

ECU makes the most sense to but I like Memphis, also.
11-21-2006 12:23 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Bearcats#1 Wrote:I agree....just because a team doesn't look "good" now doesn't mean they won't improve once in the BE....UC football is a testament to that.

For some reason I like East Carolina....

They already have a good fan base for football....they would be sold out for a lot of BE home games (unlike UC right now) and yea, their bball bites, but sticking to our idea that being in the BE will help improve them, I see them only getting better. I think they would be a good fit all around.....IMO.

ECU basketball never improved in CUSA. Basketball never had the stigma of being 'non-BCS'. I fail to see how the improvement of a couple of football programs who were able to improve by recruiting with the BCS lable next to their name translates to improving ECU basketball in the Big East.
11-21-2006 07:39 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

RealDeal Wrote:A conference with UCONN, Syracuse, UL, UC (we're down now but still one of the top 10 programs in college hoops history accorting to Sporting News), and Pitt does not have to worry about what a new school does to the BB conference. Regardless of who we add it will still be one of the top 3 conferences in America year in and year out.

Simply not true. Ask the ACC.
11-21-2006 07:42 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

nothing is going to happen... BE will stand pat... until or unless someone forces a change.. and to be honest I dont see it happening.
11-21-2006 08:25 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.