Big 12 Info from Pete Thamel
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Big 12 Info from Pete Thamel
Some interesting stuff here from SI's Pete Thamel:

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-confere...68401.html

Relevant excerpts:

Quote:The conference's small size (10 members), lack of a title game and absence of a cable television network all loom over the league's president and athletic director meetings in the next three months. The issues will come into clearer focus in January, after a vote at the NCAA Convention determines if the Big 12 can hold a title game while maintaining its current 10-team format. "I think the next few months are vital for us," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told SI.com. "We'll begin to see a few more pieces of the puzzle and undertake a more thorough assessment of what our opinions are."

Quote:The biggest question facing the league is philosophical: Is a bigger league actually stronger? Expansion is a potential step, and it appears that BYU and Cincinnati would be the favorites to be invited to the conference if it expanded today. However, if there were obvious and lucrative ways to expand the league and enhance revenue, the Big 12 would have taken those steps long ago.

Much, much more in the linked article. Interesting stuff.
12-27-2015 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Big 12 Info from Pete Thamel
Further reinforcement that none of Houston/UCF/USF/Memphis/Tulane have gained much traction in Big 12 talks. East Carolina wasn't even mentioned as a candidate.

• BYU: The Cougars football program, which plays as an independent, has the most resonance of any available school. BYU has a national following and a decorated history that includes star quarterbacks Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer. There are issues with BYU, such as the BYUtv network, tough geography and some finicky logistics that come with not playing on Sundays. But those problems can likely be resolved, as BYU has an increased desire to join the league because of the yawning perception gap between the Power Five and everyone else. BYU realizes it won't be treated like Notre Dame as an independent, so this seems like the most logical move for both sides.

• Cincinnati: The Bearcats' best selling point is that West Virginia needs a friend and neighbor, and Cincinnati is just over 300 miles from Morgantown. The Bearcats offer the Cincinnati media market, a recruiting toehold in Ohio and strong recent success. The Bearcats have seven nine-win seasons since 2007 and played in the Orange and Sugar bowls in '08 and '09. Market and geography could win out.

• Connecticut: UConn came up in a surprising number of conversations considering its geography, lack of relevant football history and void of local recruiting. UConn would be attractive in a scenario in which the league adds a cable network, as it theoretically could bring a lot of eyeballs in the Northeast. The strong academics and basketball program would also be assets, as would the notion of the Big 12 adding a flagship state school. But if the conversation inevitably turns back to football, UConn wouldn't cut it.

• Colorado State: This would be another play for TV markets, as Colorado State would theoretically bring Denver. It would also help if the Big 12 adds BYU, giving the league a distinct footprint in the Mountain Time Zone. Colorado State's biggest problem is West Virginia, as the feeling within the league is that the Mountaineers have been good members and deserve a neighbor.

• Houston: To put it bluntly, the Texas schools in the Big 12 don't want to prop up another school located in the heart of their state's most fertile recruiting base. That line of thinking would likely win out over Houston's overall football potential, which is vast. There is surprisingly little momentum for the Cougars, as the prevailing thought is that the Big 12 already has a significant presence in the Houston TV market.

• Central Florida and South Florida: Considering the ripe markets (Orlando and Tampa) and boundless football potential, there is strikingly little momentum for these schools. Things could change, but neither is in the serious discussion now. (Someday, if the league goes to 14 teams, they might get more consideration.)

• Memphis: Memphis had some buzz for a while, as it features a solid television market and recruiting base. Ultimately, though, the football program isn't developed enough and better academic schools are available.

• Tulane: The New Orleans market would be attractive, as would the university's academic reputation. But the distinct lack of notable football history and the shadow of LSU have stalled Tulane's candidacy.
12-27-2015 07:45 PM
jhn31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mississippi St.
Maybe they shouldn't have gotten desperate and added West Virginia, a terrible cultural and geographic fit, just to have a 10th team...
12-27-2015 08:02 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(12-27-2015 08:02 PM)jhn31 Wrote:  Maybe they shouldn't have gotten desperate and added West Virginia, a terrible cultural and geographic fit, just to have a 10th team...

They needed a 10th team to maintain their television deal. If they were smarter and less greedy they should have invited WVU, Louisville, and Cincinatti at the same time.
12-27-2015 08:06 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-27-2015 08:06 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  
(12-27-2015 08:02 PM)jhn31 Wrote:  Maybe they shouldn't have gotten desperate and added West Virginia, a terrible cultural and geographic fit, just to have a 10th team...

They needed a 10th team to maintain their television deal. If they were smarter and less greedy they should have invited WVU, Louisville, and Cincinatti at the same time.

^This^
12-27-2015 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

They certainly screwed the pooch on Louisville. I think they wanted Louisville but didn't have a consensus on a 12th and thought they'd be there to add later. Foolish mistake on their part.
12-27-2015 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Louisville is glad they didn't...much happier in a much more geographical fit in the ACC...04-cheers
12-27-2015 08:15 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(12-27-2015 08:15 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

They certainly screwed the pooch on Louisville. I think they wanted Louisville but didn't have a consensus on a 12th and thought they'd be there to add later. Foolish mistake on their part.

That and they were not getting any more $$$ by just going to 12...
12-27-2015 08:16 PM
malenko2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel 2h2 hours ago
Per my Big 12 expansion article. Temple's name did come up some because of market and improved football. Boise didn't come up once.
49 retweets 24 likes
Reply Retweet 49
Like 24
More
12-27-2015 08:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-27-2015 07:45 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Further reinforcement that none of Houston/UCF/USF/Memphis/Tulane have gained much traction in Big 12 talks. East Carolina wasn't even mentioned as a candidate.

• BYU: The Cougars football program, which plays as an independent, has the most resonance of any available school. BYU has a national following and a decorated history that includes star quarterbacks Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Ty Detmer. There are issues with BYU, such as the BYUtv network, tough geography and some finicky logistics that come with not playing on Sundays. But those problems can likely be resolved, as BYU has an increased desire to join the league because of the yawning perception gap between the Power Five and everyone else. BYU realizes it won't be treated like Notre Dame as an independent, so this seems like the most logical move for both sides.

• Cincinnati: The Bearcats' best selling point is that West Virginia needs a friend and neighbor, and Cincinnati is just over 300 miles from Morgantown. The Bearcats offer the Cincinnati media market, a recruiting toehold in Ohio and strong recent success. The Bearcats have seven nine-win seasons since 2007 and played in the Orange and Sugar bowls in '08 and '09. Market and geography could win out.

• Connecticut: UConn came up in a surprising number of conversations considering its geography, lack of relevant football history and void of local recruiting. UConn would be attractive in a scenario in which the league adds a cable network, as it theoretically could bring a lot of eyeballs in the Northeast. The strong academics and basketball program would also be assets, as would the notion of the Big 12 adding a flagship state school. But if the conversation inevitably turns back to football, UConn wouldn't cut it.

• Colorado State: This would be another play for TV markets, as Colorado State would theoretically bring Denver. It would also help if the Big 12 adds BYU, giving the league a distinct footprint in the Mountain Time Zone. Colorado State's biggest problem is West Virginia, as the feeling within the league is that the Mountaineers have been good members and deserve a neighbor.

• Houston: To put it bluntly, the Texas schools in the Big 12 don't want to prop up another school located in the heart of their state's most fertile recruiting base. That line of thinking would likely win out over Houston's overall football potential, which is vast. There is surprisingly little momentum for the Cougars, as the prevailing thought is that the Big 12 already has a significant presence in the Houston TV market.

• Central Florida and South Florida: Considering the ripe markets (Orlando and Tampa) and boundless football potential, there is strikingly little momentum for these schools. Things could change, but neither is in the serious discussion now. (Someday, if the league goes to 14 teams, they might get more consideration.)

• Memphis: Memphis had some buzz for a while, as it features a solid television market and recruiting base. Ultimately, though, the football program isn't developed enough and better academic schools are available.

• Tulane: The New Orleans market would be attractive, as would the university's academic reputation. But the distinct lack of notable football history and the shadow of LSU have stalled Tulane's candidacy.

Brett McMurphy recently said that BYU wasn't under consideration. Nobody talks about UConn. Colorado St. has said they haven't been talked to. Thamel isn't talking to people who know what is going on.
12-27-2015 08:19 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(12-27-2015 08:16 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-27-2015 08:15 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

That and they were not getting any more $$$ by just going to 12...

No, but they didn't learn from the history of the failed Big East. Sitting at a vulnerably small number leaves you in a position to potentially be killed if things break the wrong way. Of course the true power in the league, Texas and Oklahoma, have no fear of ever being left out of anything so nothing has to be done that doesn't make them both happy no matter how much the rest of the league might want it.
12-27-2015 08:23 PM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Cincy and BYU make the most sense to me. BYU brings the most value and Cincy is a bridge to West Virginia.
12-27-2015 08:32 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Stop reading after he said BYU is a favorite.
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
the B12 did consider Louisville, but Louisville did the honorable thing and didnt want to break its commitment to the BE with such short notice. WVU on the other hand was willing to do whatever it took to get out
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-27-2015 08:32 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  the B12 did consider Louisville, but Louisville did the honorable thing and didnt want to break its commitment to the BE with such short notice. WVU on the other hand was willing to do whatever it took to get out

Louisville hired Pitino and Petrino. Nuff said about "honor."
12-27-2015 08:34 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(12-27-2015 08:34 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-27-2015 08:32 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  the B12 did consider Louisville, but Louisville did the honorable thing and didnt want to break its commitment to the BE with such short notice. WVU on the other hand was willing to do whatever it took to get out

Louisville hired Pitino and Petrino. Nuff said about "honor."

This 100%.
12-27-2015 08:38 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-27-2015 08:15 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Louisville is glad they didn't...much happier in a much more geographical fit in the ACC...04-cheers

Plus you guys excel in other sports played at a high level in the ACC
12-27-2015 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I would love to see Cincinnati get invited to the Big 12, just to see this guy make a return to the conference.

[Image: Big%2B12%2BMedia%2BDay%2BTexas%2BTech%2B..._86489.JPG]
12-27-2015 08:52 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(12-27-2015 08:06 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  They needed a 10th team to maintain their television deal. If they were smarter and less greedy they should have invited WVU, Louisville, and Cincinatti at the same time.

"Less greedy"? What??? The only motivation for any of these conferences to expand or not expand is money. Altruism is never a factor.

And today the Big 12's decision still boils down to "show me the money". If the TV guys piled a stack of cash on the table so high that it poked through the clouds, and told the Big 12 presidents, "All this money is yours if you add School X and School Y to your conference," then I guarantee School X and School Y would be invited. If there's no cash on the table or not enough, then no one will be invited now.
12-27-2015 08:52 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-27-2015 08:32 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  Stop reading after he said BYU is a favorite.

Is it fun to only read things that you want to hear?
12-27-2015 08:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.