Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Apparently there is a TV deal...
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
Toungue Apparently there is a TV deal...
just don't know with whom...

LATech/USM moved to Friday for TV...

Officials from Conference USA announced Friday that two Louisiana Tech Football games in the 2016 season have moved dates due to national television broadcasts.

Louisiana Tech’s game against Western Kentucky has been moved to Thursday, Oct. 6 off its original day of Oct. 8. Additionally, the Bulldogs’ Rivalry in Dixie game at Southern Miss has been moved to Friday, Nov. 25. Last year’s final week matchup between LA Tech and the Golden Eagles determined the C-USA West Division title.

Broadcast details, including television networks and game times, will be announced at a later date.

This marks the second consecutive year multiple Louisiana Tech games have been selected for premier national broadcast windows.

Bulldog fans will get a brief preview of the 2016 team on Saturday as Louisiana Tech hosts its annual Spring Game presented by Dairy Queen. Kickoff is set for Noon CT at Joe Aillet Stadium as part of Loyal Blue Weekend.

http://sportsnola.com/conference-usa-mov...elevision/
04-16-2016 09:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Apparently there is a TV deal...
(04-16-2016 09:01 AM)GreenSteve Wrote:  just don't know with whom...

Officials from Conference USA announced Friday that two Louisiana Tech Football games in the 2016 season have moved dates due to national television broadcasts.

Louisiana Tech’s game against Western Kentucky has been moved to Thursday, Oct. 6 off its original day of Oct. 8. Additionally, the Bulldogs’ Rivalry in Dixie game at Southern Miss has been moved to Friday, Nov. 25. Last year’s final week matchup between LA Tech and the Golden Eagles determined the C-USA West Division title.

Broadcast details, including television networks and game times, will be announced at a later date.

This marks the second consecutive year multiple Louisiana Tech games have been selected for premier national broadcast windows.

Bulldog fans will get a brief preview of the 2016 team on Saturday as Louisiana Tech hosts its annual Spring Game presented by Dairy Queen. Kickoff is set for Noon CT at Joe Aillet Stadium as part of Loyal Blue Weekend.

We may not find out the tv specifics until the C-USA spring meetings May 23-25 and then the Board of Directors meeting on June 6th, since they are the folks that sign on the dotted line. We should also find out where next year's championship events will be held.
04-21-2016 08:22 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-21-2016 08:22 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

We may not find out the tv specifics until the C-USA spring meetings May 23-25 and then the Board of Directors meeting on June 6th, since they are the folks that sign on the dotted line. We should also find out where next year's championship events will be held.

Early reports are saying football championship is at Southern Miss 05-stirthepot
04-21-2016 09:58 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-21-2016 09:58 AM)usm99 Wrote:  

Early reports are saying football championship is at Southern Miss 05-stirthepot

Oh, CUSA is using a neutral site this year?05-stirthepot
04-21-2016 09:59 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(04-21-2016 09:59 AM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  

Apparently it's roughly half way between Marshall and UTEP. Hmm...
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 10:03 AM by MinerInWisconsin.)
04-21-2016 10:02 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-21-2016 10:02 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Apparently it's roughly half way between Marshall and UTEP. Hmm...

02-13-banana
04-21-2016 10:06 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
We've got somewhere you can play the championship game. Not currently in use.
04-21-2016 10:16 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
UAB will bid on the Championship game just to piss off the LT folks. ;-)
04-21-2016 10:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

Well that's still being debated whether we're going to sell it to the Titans or play it at Floyd.

Stir in that pot bitc***.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 10:52 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
04-21-2016 10:51 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
(04-21-2016 10:49 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  UAB will bid on the Championship game just to piss off the LT folks. ;-)

And it will work...
04-21-2016 12:37 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
2014 was the last time a CUSA team actually beat the CUSA Champs. Lets repeat that....Nov. 1st 2014

It's been 20 years for Marshall.

Championship will be about 1 hour north of Nashville (45 minutes if I'm driving) and I expect S. Miss to go back home with tails between their legs just as they have in their other two trips to Western
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 12:43 PM by WKUYG.)
04-21-2016 12:41 PM
Advertisement

MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(04-21-2016 12:41 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  2014 was the last time a CUSA team actually beat the CUSA Champs. Lets repeat that....Nov. 1st 2014

Championship will be about 1 hour north of Nashville (45 minutes if I'm driving) and I expect S. Miss to go back home with tails between their legs just as they have in their other two trips to Western

More lame trash talk from these Wesern KY fans...01-wingedeagle
04-21-2016 02:19 PM
ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I Root For: Marshall
(04-21-2016 12:41 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  2014 was the last time a CUSA team actually beat the CUSA Champs. Lets repeat that....Nov. 1st 2014

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
04-21-2016 02:21 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(04-21-2016 12:37 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 10:49 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  UAB will bid on the Championship game just to piss off the LT folks. ;-)

And it will work...

04-cheers COGS
04-21-2016 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2016 10:01 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 12:37 PM)pilot172000 Wrote:  

And it will work...

04-cheers COGS

[Image: 54400114.jpg]
04-21-2016 11:36 PM
Ace Barker Offline
Banned

I Root For: BSC and USM
Hopefully C-USA doesn't move to the Monday through Friday slot on the Oprah Network.

Ace...
04-22-2016 10:53 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(04-22-2016 10:53 AM)Ace Barker Wrote:  Hopefully C-USA doesn't move to the Monday through Friday slot on the Oprah Network.

Ace...

I get that channel, though!
04-22-2016 02:54 PM
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
a bad TV deal and conference membership goes kaput...Rice and UTEP will go west, many dominoes yet to fall...a CUSA 3.0 reshuffle en route
04-26-2016 10:36 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(04-26-2016 10:36 AM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  a bad TV deal and conference membership goes kaput...Rice and UTEP will go west, many dominoes yet to fall...a CUSA 3.0 reshuffle en route

If there is basically no substantial TV deal, what other factors do you think should keep these two schools, who have a ton of history between them, or anyone else here in CUSA?
Tradition? Really?

I've thought that CUSA wouldn't be so bad because it was based around the south, but as much as I wouldn't want Rice to likely disappear out west in the MWC, (road trips would be nonexistent for almost all fans) I really don't see much to keep us here. UTEP is half a country away from the other CUSA members, so a western based conference works better for them as well.

I was hoping ASN would kind of ramp up into something, and that the next TV deal would at least hold serve at level and give all CUSA schools more national exposure, but the opposite appears to be what is happening.

Not to mention the CUSA bowl game tie-ins are basically terrible. There's only one (HOD) where we have a chance to play a middling P5 school, and even that is not guaranteed.

The MWC had these bowls last season, tell me if you think that is better, worse or the same as what CUSA has:

The Hawai'i Bowl versus The American OR Las Vegas Bowl vs. Pac-12*
The Poinsettia Bowl versus Navy
The New Mexico Bowl versus Conference USA
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl versus MAC
The New Orleans Bowl versus Sun Belt
The Arizona Bowl versus Conference USA
The Armed Forces Bowl against Big Ten
The Cactus Bowl if either Big 12 or Pac-12 cannot fill their slots.

* for 2015 and 2019 the MWC will play in either the Las Vegas or Hawai'i Bowl but not both.

It's maybe not much better, but I think it is a bit better, and the payouts are certainly better.

It's a shame, but really, what else besides this board is there to keep those schools here if we can't get at least $1 million from a TV deal (which is half of what the AAC gets)?

More than other CUSA schools, Rice sports needs that money as we have such a small student body (although growing a little but) that it's not as easy for us to just decide to lay additional costs on even more student fees. We're finishing building a $32 million upgrade to our giant stadium, with more renovations planned. We've recently completed major upgrades and rebuilds on our Tennis, track swimming and basketball facilities. We have one of the top college baseball parks in the entire country.

IF CUSA doesn't pay, don't we and really everyone, have to look to other conference options to increase or at least maintain revenues? It's not like we're getting much gate from most of the CUSA members other than the two closest TX schools, UNT and UTSA, and maybe a bit from La Tech, but we just don't have too much in common with those schools, don't share much history with them, and student application pools don't intersect a whole lot between us, as we're a small private university that has been around for over 100 years. Other than being thrown together in CUSA during all the realignments, what else is there?
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 11:14 AM by GoodOwl.)
04-26-2016 11:09 AM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(04-26-2016 11:09 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(04-26-2016 10:36 AM)HeadsetGuy Wrote:  a bad TV deal and conference membership goes kaput...Rice and UTEP will go west, many dominoes yet to fall...a CUSA 3.0 reshuffle en route

If there is basically no substantial TV deal, what other factors do you think should keep these two schools, who have a ton of history between them, or anyone else here in CUSA?
Tradition? Really?

I've thought that CUSA wouldn't be so bad because it was based around the south, but as much as I wouldn't want Rice to likely disappear out west in the MWC, (road trips would be nonexistent for almost all fans) I really don't see much to keep us here. UTEP is half a country away from the other CUSA members, so a western based conference works better for them as well.

I was hoping ASN would kind of ramp up into something, and that the next TV deal would at least hold serve at level and give all CUSA schools more national exposure, but the opposite appears to be what is happening.

Not to mention the CUSA bowl game tie-ins are basically terrible. There's only one (HOD) where we have a chance to play a middling P5 school, and even that is not guaranteed.

The MWC had these bowls last season, tell me if you think that is better, worse or the same as what CUSA has:

The Hawai'i Bowl versus The American OR Las Vegas Bowl vs. Pac-12*
The Poinsettia Bowl versus Navy
The New Mexico Bowl versus Conference USA
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl versus MAC
The New Orleans Bowl versus Sun Belt
The Arizona Bowl versus Conference USA
The Armed Forces Bowl against Big Ten
The Cactus Bowl if either Big 12 or Pac-12 cannot fill their slots.

* for 2015 and 2019 the MWC will play in either the Las Vegas or Hawai'i Bowl but not both.

It's maybe not much better, but I think it is a bit better, and the payouts are certainly better.

It's a shame, but really, what else besides this board is there to keep those schools here if we can't get at least $1 million from a TV deal (which is half of what the AAC gets)?

More than other CUSA schools, Rice sports needs that money as we have such a small student body (although growing a little but) that it's not as easy for us to just decide to lay additional costs on even more student fees. We're finishing building a $32 million upgrade to our giant stadium, with more renovations planned. We've recently completed major upgrades and rebuilds on our Tennis, track swimming and basketball facilities. We have one of the top college baseball parks in the entire country.

IF CUSA doesn't pay, don't we and really everyone, have to look to other conference options to increase or at least maintain revenues? It's not like we're getting much gate from most of the CUSA members other than the two closest TX schools, UNT and UTSA, and maybe a bit from La Tech, but we just don't have too much in common with those schools, don't share much history with them, and student application pools don't intersect a whole lot between us, as we're a small private university that has been around for over 100 years. Other than being thrown together in CUSA during all the realignments, what else is there?

To summarize, if CUSA doesn't get a better TV deal, Rice is leaving. Is that correct?
04-26-2016 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.