Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No Big12 expansion... What's next for USM?
Bookmark and Share
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
No Big12 expansion... What's next for USM?
Thought I'd start this for realistic discussion, no smart a$$ and end of the world type stuff.

What does this mean for USM? What does Billy Mc have planned now?
10-18-2016 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: No Big12 expansion... What's next for USM?
We should focus on beating the likes of UTTTSA and not giving up 50+ yard plays 47 times a game. Sounds smart ass, yes, but that needs to be the focus. We haven't won enough in anything to warrant a "move up." Losing to these scab teams and getting demolished by anyone with a pulse doesn't sit will with any committees.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 09:20 AM by shiftyeagle.)
10-18-2016 09:15 AM
99beers Offline
Banned

I Root For: So Miss
In the long term the b12 decision really does not affect us that much. We aer not going to sit at the same table with the p5, nor is anyone else now. Its over, that is no other g5 teams will be added to the exclusive club. Somehow the b12 was convinced not to add any teams. Why you ask? Simply too many already with p5, soon to be p4. The next big shake up will not involve any g5 programs. It will simply be an absorption of existing b12 members into the p4 conferences. Easier to do with 10 than 12 or 14, especially if it is going to happen soon. I think you will see some shuffling around of some teams to make the new p4 as regional as possible.

As for usm? Who the hell knows. We have been told we will be just fine!
10-18-2016 09:23 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
I'll continue to pound this hammer....

we need to find more funding to improve facilities (hoops), continually spend within the football program that will present a solid platform to give us the best chance to generate interest both locally and around the southeast region when the flagship schools bolt to form their uber-conference (NoFunLeague minor league)

the leftover realignment scenario in ~decade would be my macro target goal at this point....

as always, just my two cents....
10-18-2016 09:25 AM
99beers Offline
Banned

And tv markets didnt matter much this time, did they? If they did, then houston and cinci were any easy shoe in. Tells ya something.
10-18-2016 09:28 AM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(10-18-2016 09:25 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  I'll continue to pound this hammer....

we need to find more funding to improve facilities (hoops), continually spend within the football program that will present a solid platform to give us the best chance to generate interest both locally and around the southeast region when the flagship schools bolt to form their uber-conference (NoFunLeague minor league)

the leftover realignment scenario in ~decade would be my macro target goal at this point....

as always, just my two cents....

Agreed. In the meantime, focus on ourselves and figure out how to get our leadership to understand our position in the sports world. What's been done in the past is over now, we can't go back and change the "leadership" of Martha or Hammond or its effects on the program- it's time to keep moving forward.

Stability within the football program- stop changing coaches every 1-4 years, get back to consistency and winning (yeah I know we were all sick of complacency with Bower, but right now I'd rather that over what happened 2012-2014), beat the teams we're supposed to beat, challenge the games that we're paid to play, etc.

Facility Improvements- Bower Academic Center, finishing the Duff Athletic Center improvements, Reed Green Coliseum, Stadium Renovations to the bathrooms/concessions/etc., Pete Taylor Park upgrades (score board), eventually moving all facilities on campus (juxtapose physical plant and the soccer/softball complex)

Recruiting leverage- get back to having a stable recruiting ground in the southeast to make us the most enticing G-5 school in the region and where we could challenge these P5 schools for 3 star and possibly the rare 4 star recruit

Increased support of the Eagle Club- this includes finding an actual direction for the organization that makes people want to donate to. It doesn't help that the donors do not trust the direction or leadership because of past events, etc. The fact of the matter is in order to succeed in this industry we need $$$ and an intelligent and directed use of that money.

Stability within the university as a whole- it seems that the downward enrollment trend is starting to stabilize, now the university must capitalize on the ending of Louisiana's TOPs program and get students to come from the New Orleans/Northshore area as well as other parts of LA. Stop losing the recruiting battle on the coast to not only State and OM, but also USA. Expand our recruiting efforts to bigger metro areas such as Dallas and Houston. Basically, increase enrollment. In order to do this, we need to figure out how to combat what seems like consistent and endless state budget cuts, boost already strapped for funding academic areas, and continue to improve campus as a whole.

Also a pipe's dream- Get the Biloxi/Gulf Coast or Jackson and Hattiesburg TV markets to merge to increase the size of our TV market (just in case anyone still actually cares about this)

TL;DR- Get our heads out of our butts, stop saying "if" and "hope" and focus on us as a whole in order to position ourselves for the next round of expansion so that we're not left behind again... again.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 09:45 AM by SouthernMissSNu.)
10-18-2016 09:40 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(10-18-2016 09:28 AM)99beers Wrote:  And tv markets didnt matter much this time, did they? If they did, then houston and cinci were any easy shoe in. Tells ya something.

b/c the networks understand the ad dollar revenue model doesn't generate more relative to historically ****** teams in large markets now that their game is changing just like gannet has realized in print....

the conferences took a shot at thinking they were nascar.....now lookie lookie....

this game is changing too fast as tech exponentially improves.....

the focus has to target quality to be relevant in the next phase....

...and we're failing miserably right now if we want to play in the next sandbox that pops up...

we don't have a chance at a p5 slot....however, we can position ourselves to hook up with the leftovers once the big boys split...

or we can continue down the sunwacbelt or whatever some of yaz call it....

pick your poison...
10-18-2016 09:45 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
We need to take the Boise State route...and go undefeated multiple years, be in the "discussion" for the playoff for multiple years, win and win more. None of this losing to UTSA/Troy crap. We need to win and everything else will take care of itself.
10-18-2016 03:26 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Win 10-11 games every year. No excuse not to in this FCS-level conference. Unfortunately, not sure J-Hop is the man that can do that.
10-18-2016 04:18 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(10-18-2016 09:23 AM)99beers Wrote:  In the long term the b12 decision really does not affect us that much. We aer not going to sit at the same table with the p5, nor is anyone else now. Its over, that is no other g5 teams will be added to the exclusive club. Somehow the b12 was convinced not to add any teams. Why you ask? Simply too many already with p5, soon to be p4. The next big shake up will not involve any g5 programs. It will simply be an absorption of existing b12 members into the p4 conferences. Easier to do with 10 than 12 or 14, especially if it is going to happen soon. I think you will see some shuffling around of some teams to make the new p4 as regional as possible.

As for usm? Who the hell knows. We have been told we will be just fine!

Yep, the take-away message from this decision is that the doors to the P5 club have been locked. West Virginia, TCU, and Louisville took the last lifeboat, and even they made need to check it for leaks. Some of the schools in the Big 12 are going to find themselves in the same pickle Temple, UConn, Cincinnati, etc., found themselves in when the Big East imploded.

Corny as it sounds, we just have to be ready when it all goes down so we can end up hanging out with the leftovers instead of the leftovers' leftovers' scraps. Being left behind in CUSA right now should serve as a wake-up call and motivation, not an excuse to give up. This crap is far from over.
10-18-2016 04:21 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I just wonder what the AD has cooking, if anything. Was/is there a plan B or goal that we are trying to work for as a program? Give the fan base some sort of vision for the program that we can hold on to and get excited about.
10-18-2016 04:52 PM
Advertisement

Ace Barker Offline
Banned

I Root For: BSC and USM
(10-18-2016 04:52 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I just wonder what the AD has cooking, if anything. Was/is there a plan B or goal that we are trying to work for as a program? Give the fan base some sort of vision for the program that we can hold on to and get excited about.

I doubt it. Where would he move USM? MAC? Sunbelt? FCS? I am not blaming the AD. He inherited the program as it is.

Ace...
10-18-2016 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tg300 Offline
Banned

(10-18-2016 04:52 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I just wonder what the AD has cooking, if anything. Was/is there a plan B or goal that we are trying to work for as a program? Give the fan base some sort of vision for the program that we can hold on to and get excited about.

We are so used to everything being cloaked in secrecy that a real plan with vision for the future would send most of us into a panic.
10-18-2016 05:45 PM
Nugget's Ghostbuster Offline
Banned

By not expanding the Big 12 means that Oklahoma is gone to the highest bidder shortly, either the Pac 12 or the SEC. My money is on the PAC 12. Texas is fine with being independent like Notre Dame. Another conference will be created with the KSU's and TCUs, probably with a Houston, Memphis and Cinci joining them. We will get absorbed into the leftovers and soon rejoin past CUSA members.
10-18-2016 05:49 PM
RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

(10-18-2016 05:45 PM)tg300 Wrote:  

We are so used to everything being cloaked in secrecy that a real plan with vision for the future would send most of us into a panic.

Right now we are just trying to keep the lights burning. It's no secret, ask around about the UTSA weekend.
10-18-2016 06:20 PM
99beers Offline
Banned

(10-18-2016 06:20 PM)RockTheRock Wrote:  

Right now we are just trying to keep the lights burning. It's no secret, ask around about the UTSA weekend.

School credit cards get denied? Air fare to high? They have to stay at motel six and eat at McD?
10-18-2016 07:07 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(10-18-2016 07:07 PM)99beers Wrote:  

School credit cards get denied? Air fare to high? They have to stay at motel six and eat at McD?

toughens 'em up....as an example, just look what it has done for the Indians this year.....

the vid quality in this one just seemed to fit the scenario....

10-18-2016 07:18 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Italians

..well yeah, SM has one of the lowest budgets in FBS...some FCS schools have a higher athletic budget...you have to spread that over all the men's and women's sports....Isn't it embarrassing they can't pay a couple of guys to upload a game video to the cusa site because of "budget reason's"??...Southern Miss athletic budget is $23.5 million....East Carolina has the Smallest AAC athletic budget at almost twice that number at $38.7 million

...but I'm sure we would get a "resounding" Yes vote of Confidence by a majority of AAC Athletic Directors... and the AAC commish would certainly put his stamp of approval on us and our inclusion if it were put to a vote.

yes oh yes, I'm absolutely sure we are at the Top of their List....I'm sure of iTTT.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 07:58 PM by Nugget's Ghost.)
10-18-2016 07:44 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Italians
...oh and by the way....that is a whopping 7 million dollar increase of our budget from where it was at 20 years ago.

the worst increase of all 128 FBS playing schools...but you people keep the Tippy Top goin...and keep those eagle club donations comin in....cause as you can certainly tell...Our Athletic Department has been Hard at work.
10-18-2016 07:55 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(10-18-2016 04:52 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I just wonder what the AD has cooking, if anything.

Enough lip service to keep the wolves at bay, i.e. imaginary coliseum renovations, quips about "high resource" programs, champagne toasts for non descript wins over nobodies. Meanwhile making sure his path to vesting in PERS and keeping that resume' polished for a better gig. In short, what most carpetbagging sports administrators do.
10-18-2016 09:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.