Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
01-12-2018 10:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita
RE: Dallas Morning News - CFP / UCF
(01-12-2018 10:47 AM)smu89 Wrote:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...old-breath

That makes too much sense.

So it won't happen.
01-12-2018 11:03 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-12-2018 10:47 AM)smu89 Wrote:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...old-breath

Meh... What he writes makes sense, but it makes more sense to just go to 8 under the same premise. That way, Those that are independent can STAY independent if they want to.
6 conference champs and 2 wildcards.
01-12-2018 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Most sense is 14 with the 10 Conference champions at with the Top four teams getting byes and no more than two teams from a single conference and a Top 10 Notre Dame/Independent stipulation. First round games at the home stadiums of the higher ranked team. No one can make a LOGICAL argument against that.

This year it would've been:
1: Clemson
2: Oklahoma
3: Georgia
4: Alabama
5: Ohio State
6: Wisconsin
7: USC
8: Miami
9: Washington
10: UCF
11: Boise State
12: FAU
13: Toledo
14: Troy State

Would've made the "play-ins":
Ohio State-Troy State (Blowout win, as it should be in every situation like this)
Wisconsin-Toledo (potentially compelling)
USC-FAU (extremely entertaining offensive explosion)
Miami-Boise State (VERY fun game)
Washington-UCF (VERY fun game)

Then the second round plays the four games in four of the NY6, with the semis being in the 2 remaining (the six rotate every year) with a true National Championship game to top it off.

You solve the too many games argument by making conference take 8 game regular season schedules OR knocking off one out of conference game since the conference season becomes much more important...or you know just telling people that EVERY OTHER DIVISION OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL DOES THIS SO IT OBVIOUSLY ISN'T A REASONABLE ARGUMENT.

Bowlcations will still be available for all teams not in the playoff obviously, in order to appease the old people wearing oddly colored suits who like to stand on shoddily built stages in the middle of half filled stadia.

But alas...money, etc.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 11:22 AM by BearcatMan.)
01-12-2018 11:20 AM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU

I think the way you sell the bowls on this is you take the 5 conference champs from the autonomous conferences and then the best team of the G5/Independents. Making Notre Dame the possible 6th rep really increases the odds of this happening.
01-12-2018 11:40 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(01-12-2018 11:40 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

I think the way you sell the bowls on this is you take the 5 conference champs from the autonomous conferences and then the best team of the G5/Independents. Making Notre Dame the possible 6th rep really increases the odds of this happening.

The Committee will find a way to put them in every single year they're even remotely good (including this year), so doing something like that would defeat the greater purpose of making the Access games...you know...accessible.
01-12-2018 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

Using the December 2nd Massey Composite Rankings, this season could have been:

1 (bye) Clemson (ACC Champs)
2 (bye) Georgia (SEC Champs)

3 Ohio State (B1G Champs)
6 USC (Pac Champs)

4 Oklahoma (B12 Champs)
5 UCF (Highest Ranked G5/Indy)
01-12-2018 11:48 AM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(01-12-2018 11:48 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

The Committee will find a way to put them in every single year they're even remotely good (including this year), so doing something like that would defeat the greater purpose of making the Access games...you know...accessible.

You also get rid of the committee and use some pre-determined average of ranking systems, like the Massey Composite.
01-12-2018 11:49 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

(01-12-2018 11:20 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Most sense is 14 with the 10 Conference champions at with the Top four teams getting byes and no more than two teams from a single conference and a Top 10 Notre Dame/Independent stipulation. First round games at the home stadiums of the higher ranked team. No one can make a LOGICAL argument against that.

Ohio State-Troy State (Blowout win, as it should be in every situation like this)

Then the second round plays the four games in four of the NY6, with the semis being in the 2 remaining (the six rotate every year) with a true National Championship game to top it off.

You solve the too many games argument by making conference take 8 game regular season schedules OR knocking off one out of conference game since the conference season becomes much more important...or you know just telling people that EVERY OTHER DIVISION OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL DOES THIS SO IT OBVIOUSLY ISN'T A REASONABLE ARGUMENT.

Bowlcations will still be available for all teams not in the playoff obviously, in order to appease the old people wearing oddly colored suits who like to stand on shoddily built stages in the middle of half filled stadia.

But alas...money, etc.

Think how much cash March Madness brings in. Now think how much money this would bring in. Even your casual football fan would watch a majority of these games.
01-12-2018 11:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline

(01-12-2018 11:50 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 11:20 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Most sense is 14 with the 10 Conference champions at with the Top four teams getting byes and no more than two teams from a single conference and a Top 10 Notre Dame/Independent stipulation. First round games at the home stadiums of the higher ranked team. No one can make a LOGICAL argument against that.

But alas...money, etc.

Think how much cash March Madness brings in. Now think how much money this would bring in. Even your casual football fan would watch a majority of these games.

Exactly...but that money would have to be evenly distributed, which would warrant a big ol' LOL by the Haves. Think about it, you could run a Unit payment structure like March Madness, but there's no way they would allow it.

The CFP+Access bowls currently has a $475M per year deal with ESPN, which if you triple the inventory, would likely double the media deal plus a little pot-sweetener to stave off the competition. So we're looking at $1B per year, across 31 games.

If the Unit Payout was in effect for this hypothetical tournament, each team paid out on a per game played basis, meaning each team would receive $32,250,000 per game played for their conference's distribution. That's about 10X as much as the Sun Belt, CUSA, and MAC get in disbursement every year just for making this tournament as mandate would dictate, which would make them happy and make the big boys VERY mad since it's effectively life-changing money for some of these athletic departments.

With that being said, say we get the same end result and Alabama and Georgia make the NC game...that would mean the SEC nets $325,000,000, which is nearly triple what they pulled from this year's CFP. I just don't see how this doesn't make sense for all involved.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 12:21 PM by BearcatMan.)
01-12-2018 12:03 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

But alas...money, etc.

+3 for using the word "stadia" properly, and -1 for the idea of dropping to 8 game regular season schedules.

So... +2! 04-cheers Dilly Dilly!
01-12-2018 05:59 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I like the idea of a 6 team playoff with ALL conference champs only, as the author suggested. That means all the P5 + the best G5. I could live with that.

An 8 team playoff doesn't ensure all conference champs, unless you specify.

Also, a 6-team prevents the last seed (always the non-P5 guy) from having to play the #1 seed right off the bat every year.
01-12-2018 06:10 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(01-12-2018 06:10 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I like the idea of a 6 team playoff with ALL conference champs only, as the author suggested. That means all the P5 + the best G5. I could live with that.

Also, a 6-team prevents the last seed (always the non-P5 guy) from having to play the #1 seed right off the bat every year.

This is a non-starter because of Notre Dame.
01-12-2018 06:31 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-12-2018 06:31 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 06:10 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I like the idea of a 6 team playoff with ALL conference champs only, as the author suggested. That means all the P5 + the best G5. I could live with that.

Well hell, it's also a non-starter b/c the SEC and B1G want to keep the door open to 2 of their teams in the same year.

Doesn't ban us from discussing it, lol. Still a reasonable idea.
01-12-2018 06:38 PM
Pir8inRichmond Offline
Bench Warmer

But alas...money, etc.

not sure the math works. 14 teams and 4 teams getting byes leaves 5 winners and 4 bye teams after 1st round.

might need 12 teams and 4 byes. then you would have 8 left after the 1st round.

or 14 teams and only 2 byes works as well.
01-12-2018 06:42 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(01-12-2018 06:38 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 06:31 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Well hell, it's also a non-starter b/c the SEC and B1G want to keep the door open to 2 of their teams in the same year.

Doesn't ban us from discussing it, lol. Still a reasonable idea.

I guess my point is, we like to talk of things that could actually work out, even if the powers that be won't let it happen.
01-12-2018 06:47 PM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Next step needs to be 8 with the top 6 ranked conference champions and 2 at-large. I would be pretty happy with that, especially if the AAC can secure a Peach or Cotton bowl tie-in for years when our champion doesn't make the playoff.
01-12-2018 07:00 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Also, there is no way the P5 will allow a playoff that is all conference champions with no at-large spots. Anyone who thinks that is possible is dreaming. That would mean teams like this year's Alabama and last year's OSU wouldn't get in.
01-12-2018 07:03 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Traditionalist will say college football is the only sport where every game matters.

By giving an auto bid for conference champs, it means that a team can rest players during a conference game if it’s already qualified for the conference title match.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 07:11 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
01-12-2018 07:09 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

6 is stupid. What other league has a 6team playoff?? Quick answer. No one.

8 or 16 w the best G5 champ getting auto bid if the aac doesn’t get an auto bid.
01-12-2018 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.