ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Possible HC Candidates
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Exclamation Possible HC Candidates
I know the season isn't over yet but it just feels like it already did. May be this thread will serve as a suggestion box for Wood Selig 03-nutkick but lets see who you think might be a good candidate to look at should we end up hiring a new coach which i seriously hope we do to drive the momentum of the renovated stadium into 2019. Doesn't matter if its a current FCS HC or a P5 assistant throw their name in.

For me personally being close to Kennesaw St and attending a couple of their games, albeit involuntarily(mind you) i think their HC Brian Bohannon is a good candidate although they have that nasty Triple Option crap i hate(for some reason coaches in GA love that TO, Ga Tech, Ga Southern and KSU i know of). I knew this was already discussed and JMU folks on high horses(Where else would they be) their board unanimously said Mike Houston will not come to ODU but screw them we have to at least try. Another candidate i recently found digging through Garoppolo's stats is Sterlin Gilbert, Charlie Strong's OC and looks like a good offensive minded coach to me. Anyways if you feel like shouting it out please do so.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 10:02 PM by 12thmonarch.)
09-18-2018 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Possible HC Candidates
Larry Fedora comes to mind as a P5 coach that may be available shortly.
Mike Houston should get a hard look as well.

However, and I know I will get a lot of pushback on this one, but I think it is realistic and I just love his offensive philosophy.
Shane Montgomery, OC at UNCC.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 11:17 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-18-2018 11:07 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2018 11:07 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Larry Fedora comes to mind as a P5 coach that may be available shortly.

However, and I know I will get a lot of pushback on this one, but I think it is realistic and I just love his offensive philosophy.

Wow i didn't know UNCC got a new OC this season and they have shown more creativity on play calling against us than we have shown so far in this season. His career path looks kinda weird to me. He went from being an OC at couple of MAC schools to being an OC at Youngstown and then back to UNCC. Interesting.
09-18-2018 11:48 PM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-18-2018 11:48 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 11:07 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Larry Fedora comes to mind as a P5 coach that may be available shortly.

Wow i didn't know UNCC got a new OC this season and they have shown more creativity on play calling against us than we have shown so far in this season. His career path looks kinda weird to me. He went from being an OC at couple of MAC schools to being an OC at Youngstown and then back to UNCC. Interesting.
Also:
Quote:four years as head coach at Miami (Ohio), where he coached all-America and future Super Bowl champion quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He also coached 2018 Pro Football Hall of Fame selection Terrell Owens.

That 49er offense, even though they have the smaller QB and lesser talent at every position than we have, was as pleasure to watch.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 12:02 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-18-2018 11:59 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2018 11:59 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Also:
Quote:four years as head coach at Miami (Ohio), where he coached all-America and future Super Bowl champion quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He also coached 2018 Pro Football Hall of Fame selection Terrell Owens.

That 49er offense, even though they have the smaller QB and lesser talent at every position than we have, was as pleasure to watch.

Yep. Although it was agonizing as an ODU fan 03-hissyfit
09-19-2018 12:15 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Perhaps I'm a weird one, but I really hope we don't get a triple option offense even if it means winning all the time. I don't understand how fans don't get tired of watching it over and over.
09-19-2018 05:57 AM
Advertisement

Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

Also:

They were playing against our defense. Everyone looks good doing that. I like Larry Fedora, Mike Houston, and Chris Klieman from NDSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 06:55 AM by Retroview1955.)
09-19-2018 06:53 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

Fedora recruited mainly JuCos at USM, left the cupboard bare when he bounced. That helped lead to their downfall. No thanks to that.

I want a program builder like Bobby, but with better schemes and recruiting. Someone who will leave it better than when they arrived.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 07:08 AM by Monarchist13.)
09-19-2018 07:06 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-19-2018 05:57 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Perhaps I'm a weird one, but I really hope we don't get a triple option offense even if it means winning all the time. I don't understand how fans don't get tired of watching it over and over.

Agree 100%
09-19-2018 07:09 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-19-2018 06:53 AM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  

Also:

They were playing against our defense. Everyone looks good doing that. I like Larry Fedora, Mike Houston, and Chris Klieman from NDSU.

Well, I was more interested in the actual mechanics; the motion, misdirection, bootlegs, play-action, shotgun/under center sets etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 07:41 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-19-2018 07:39 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Financially and realistically ODU wont fire Wilder for awhile. How about ODU hire a hands on adviser and put Wilder in a mentorship program with a proven retire coach. People like Wilder and he did us good the first half of our startup. Maybe bring in a retired coach who has proven success like Frank Beamer, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel etc for a 6 month contract to evaluate/ teach Wilder and staff from Spring ball to the end of a football season.
09-19-2018 07:47 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-19-2018 07:39 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Also:

Well, I was more interested in the actual mechanics; the motion, misdirection, bootlegs, play-action, shotgun/under center sets etc.

That isn't genius coaching. You can go to Darling Stadium in Hampton on Friday night and see the same thing watching Phoebus and Warwick High School. Why Bobby doesn't mix any of that in or try anything different, no clue, but it isn't really that sophisticated.
09-19-2018 07:51 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(09-19-2018 07:51 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(09-19-2018 07:39 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 11:48 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Wow i didn't know UNCC got a new OC this season and they have shown more creativity on play calling against us than we have shown so far in this season. His career path looks kinda weird to me. He went from being an OC at couple of MAC schools to being an OC at Youngstown and then back to UNCC. Interesting.
Also:

That isn't genius coaching. You can go to Darling Stadium in Hampton on Friday night and see the same thing watching Phoebus and Warwick High School. Why Bobby doesn't mix any of that in or try anything different, no clue, but it isn't really that sophisticated.

The OC is terrible at creativity
09-19-2018 08:05 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-19-2018 07:47 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Financially and realistically ODU wont fire Wilder for awhile. How about ODU hire a hands on adviser and put Wilder in a mentorship program with a proven retire coach. People like Wilder and he did us good the first half of our startup. Maybe bring in a retired coach who has proven success like Frank Beamer, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel etc for a 6 month contract to evaluate/ teach Wilder and staff from Spring ball to the end of a football season.

Likely true.
The posters on this board represent a very, very small part of the the whole of ODU football fandom. The majority of fans and donors are not as vocal nor intense as we are.

However, it is true that season tickets were available right up until opening day.
It is true that there are still VT tickets available through the alumni office.

I am not sure if MBB is also a factor, but IF it is true that ODAF membership is down 25% this year, then there has to be some serious consideration for some kind of change.

We cannot sustain that.
09-19-2018 08:22 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Charlotte averaged 4.7 yards per play vs. us. We average 6.04 yards per play. The difference was turnovers and not getting off the field on 3rd down. If our defense is as bad as most think, I'm not in favor of hiring someone that can only get 4.7 yards per play.

I like the triple option, but it would take a complete overhaul and disaster for a couple year to bring in the type of players you need. The other issue is it needs crazy discipline, which is why it works for service academies that have older players. I also hate that once you get down, you have trouble coming back.

I doubt Bobby will be fired and don't want him to be fired. The guys I would look at are Jeff Scott (WR/recruiting coordinator-Clemson) and Scot Loefler (OC-Boston College)
09-19-2018 08:27 AM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

(09-19-2018 07:47 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Financially and realistically ODU wont fire Wilder for awhile. How about ODU hire a hands on adviser and put Wilder in a mentorship program with a proven retire coach. People like Wilder and he did us good the first half of our startup. Maybe bring in a retired coach who has proven success like Frank Beamer, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel etc for a 6 month contract to evaluate/ teach Wilder and staff from Spring ball to the end of a football season.

I wonder when BW and Harbaragh got together if he picked at his brain? The following season we started recruiting and using tight ends and the defensive players got different jersey numbers. Perhaps maybe this has already kind of happened, but failed.
09-19-2018 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(09-19-2018 08:22 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Likely true.
The posters on this board represent a very, very small part of the the whole of ODU football fandom. The majority of fans and donors are not as vocal nor intense as we are.

However, it is true that season tickets were available right up until opening day.

I am not sure if MBB is also a factor, but IF it is true that ODAF membership is down 25% this year, then there has to be some serious consideration for some kind of change.

We cannot sustain that.

Harry's article from yesterday said that they sold the most season tickets of the past 3 seasons.

At least online, the alumni office is routing people to YNotTix for tickets. Which is no longer selling any of the miniplans for the VT game, since those are also sold out. Seems the sales office is doing its' job pretty well..

Donations are a different story, one we won't really know the impact of until the end of the calendar year.
09-19-2018 08:32 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018...neal-brown

Bobby Wilder could never achieve this, we need to move on from him.
09-19-2018 08:43 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(09-19-2018 08:27 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Charlotte averaged 4.7 yards per play vs. us. We average 6.04 yards per play. The difference was turnovers and not getting off the field on 3rd down. If our defense is as bad as most think, I'm not in favor of hiring someone that can only get 4.7 yards per play.

I like the triple option, but it would take a complete overhaul and disaster for a couple year to bring in the type of players you need. The other issue is it needs crazy discipline, which is why it works for service academies that have older players. I also hate that once you get down, you have trouble coming back.

I doubt Bobby will be fired and don't want him to be fired. The guys I would look at are Jeff Scott (WR/recruiting coordinator-Clemson) and Scot Loefler (OC-Boston College)

I'm curious as to why? I'll admit that I'm ready to move on from him. I'll also admit that he probably won't be fired even if we go winless this season, but, in your opinion, what has he done to prove to you that he can lead a successful G5 program?
09-19-2018 08:58 AM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-19-2018 08:32 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(09-19-2018 08:22 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Likely true.

We cannot sustain that.

Harry's article from yesterday said that they sold the most season tickets of the past 3 seasons.

At least online, the alumni office is routing people to YNotTix for tickets. Which is no longer selling any of the miniplans for the VT game, since those are also sold out. Seems the sales office is doing its' job pretty well..

Donations are a different story, one we won't really know the impact of until the end of the calendar year.
OK, but they were available on or close to Opening Day. I am curious as to how there were more season tickets sold, as that has always been a finite number. ODU must have opened up another block. That is an entirely different scenario.

I am not arguing that the competence of the ticket sales office. That there were mini plans available for VT at least as recently a a week and a half or so ago is to me, stunning.

Compare the above with ticket availability in the past.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 09:16 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-19-2018 09:14 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.