Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

From Jonathan Alger
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
From Jonathan Alger
Once again - let's not make this political.

So which are the three buildings?

Quote:JMU community:

JMU is an educational institution, so how we change matters as well as what we change. We have heard from thousands of people who have shared their thoughts and perspectives. We’ve provided that opportunity for listening, but leadership also requires action. And that time has come.

With the full support of the senior administrative team at JMU, today I want to share that I will bring to the Board of Visitors a strong recommendation to remove the names of Confederate military leaders from these three buildings, effective immediately.

Also, we have received a number of inquiries from alumni and friends of the university asking whether removing James Madison from the name of the institution is under active consideration. In my full message, you will hear why the administration remains firmly committed to preserving our institution’s name.

Edit by Deez to provide URL for University's statement:
https://www.jmu.edu/news/2020/06/22-upda...ames.shtml
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 10:39 AM by Deez Nuts.)
06-22-2020 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JacksonHall Offline
1st String

RE: From Jonathan Alger
Maybe I'll have to change my name too? This is a damn shame. I was a political science and history major. I know communism when I see it. The thought police are everywhere in this Orwellian nightmare.
06-22-2020 03:31 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
The three buildings are Jackson, Ashby, and Maury.

While I am not a big fan of Alger or his style of speaking, I felt like he was at least acting as a good University President.
I know many may not like the decision, but I think it's the right move to make. I felt like he said the right things that needed to be said.
Also he did address the naming of James Madison University and that it is NOT going to be changed. I felt like his explanation made sense as to why it will not be changed as well.
06-22-2020 03:33 PM
Dukester Offline

When I saw who responded, I instantly recalled one of the names. 03-lmfao

I don't think there is a Dukester Hall, so I'm safe.
06-22-2020 03:33 PM
Dukester Offline

In a related matter - I must admit I got choked up when I saw the support for Bubba Wallace today. It was awesome.

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/1...1922624512
06-22-2020 03:41 PM
chicagoduke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
I wholeheartedly support this change. Every alum I've discussed this topic with (IRL) supports it as well. Bravo JMU.
06-22-2020 03:51 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

It'll be interesting to see how things are handled down in Lexington. A lot more history to deal with for the 2 schools down there since some of the key figures are literally intertwined with the schools.
06-22-2020 03:56 PM
Dukester Offline

(06-22-2020 03:56 PM)olddawg Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see how things are handled down in Lexington. A lot more history to deal with for the 2 schools down there since some of the key figures are literally intertwined with the schools.

While I think this is overall good, it get's a bit complicated.....
06-22-2020 03:59 PM
jmu007 Offline
All American

I disagree with and am disappointed by today’s announcement.

Opinion voiced.
06-22-2020 04:00 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I think the explanation (in the Alger video) hits the bulk of the issue. Our nation's history is not book about sunshine and daisies; we have some dark times in the past. It is part of our nation's DNA. We can look back today and say we are not proud of that; it is not who we want to be. Most civilizations since the dawn of time can be judged the same way. We aspire to be better; glorifying dead Confederate leaders moves James Madison University nowhere. We can do better. We have to do better. The dialog surrounding this topic has been interesting for sure.
06-22-2020 04:22 PM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: James Madison
(06-22-2020 03:31 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  Maybe I'll have to change my name too? This is a damn shame. I was a political science and history major. I know communism when I see it. The thought police are everywhere in this Orwellian nightmare.

I am very happy we are beginning to exit our Orwelian nightmare of the last 150+ years where traitors and enslavers were glorified with building names and statues. As a history major I am sure you are familiar with confederate VP Alexander Stephens Cornerstone Speech praising the new confederate constitution:

"The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with; but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. [...] Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science."

Change every building name. Remove every statue. Teach the history. We should never forget the crimes of the confederacy.

Rage away. Facts are facts.
06-22-2020 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
The three buildings being renamed I can get over (many of the current students don't know who Stonewall Jackson was)... What are the new names, Butterfly Hall, Ambiguous Gender Hall and Inclusion Hall?

If there is ever any discussion of changing the name of the university I will ******* lose it.
06-22-2020 04:30 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Guys not to get political this is a general observation from a 45 year old guy. This is all healthy and even though it doesn’t seem natural because these are changes I believe changes and progress are needed and inevitable. I also think that debate, Pushing against changes and progress is healthy too Btw because the checks and balances make things go slower and prevent too many changes too quickly but if you look back in our history at every turn there was and could have been folks who adhered to the status quo whether it be in the form of suffrage, civil rights, integration, Women in the workplace, marital rights etc. At every turn folks could have said this is unnecessary it doesn’t bother me or impact me we should just leave it alone it’s an over reaction and there would have been no progress. We evolve and if changing a name of a building to maybe someone who was on the other side of the civil rights issue helps bring awareness and makes people feel good or if it’s to the name of a donor or philanthropist and it makes people feel better I’m 100% for it.
06-22-2020 04:33 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

By the way, anybody know which recently renamed buildings straight white males may go to to have a target tatted on their backs?
06-22-2020 04:35 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(06-22-2020 04:35 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  By the way, anybody know which recently renamed buildings straight white males may go to to have a target tatted on their backs?

So you felt extra safe and comfortable in the buildings that they are renaming? Sorry if I’m misconstruing your post but I don’t really understand what you’re saying?
06-22-2020 05:11 PM
dukeDoom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: james madison
(06-22-2020 04:35 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  By the way, anybody know which recently renamed buildings straight white males may go to to have a target tatted on their backs?

go to snowflake hall
06-22-2020 05:12 PM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

(06-22-2020 05:11 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

So you felt extra safe and comfortable in the buildings that they are renaming? Sorry if I’m misconstruing your post but I don’t really understand what you’re saying?

I am saying the PC agenda at times is anti well educated, straight white male. I personally hire the best available regardless of race or beliefs. I would hire black lesbians exclusively or any race or confused gender individuals if they are the best available.

I am color blind and white is a color too.
06-22-2020 05:52 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol colorblind.
06-22-2020 05:57 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Thiis will be fun....

Id wager most alum have to Google these three to decide their position today, or if they were traumatized in the past walking into the building or near a sign.

I had to look up Maury - was a hell of a guy and career prior to being in the war...seems he was the carl sagan of the oceans, and instrumental in founding the naval academy.

Everyone does seem to forget that slavery was not THE cause of the civil war, but one of many factors. It's real sloppy to say that all conf fighters were racists...equally sloppy to say all Union were enlightened non racists..

I would be curious to learn what the original names of the buildings were?
06-22-2020 06:39 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I don’t feel traumatized by the names at all. I still think the names should be changed.
06-22-2020 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.