Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Oklahoma Dilemma
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The Oklahoma Dilemma
It has been long rumored that Oklahoma may bolt the Big 12 for more money. As the money gap grows between the B1G and SEC on one side on the other three P conferences on the other, Oklahoma was the one school that was thought to be the one that would take the money and run.
But now with the 12 team playoff reveal, it seems as if the Big 12's boost in playoff money and a possible increase in their T3 contract may keep Oklahoma at home. Why? GLORY and a better than average chance to win the Big 12 every year and be virtually guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.
What would you do? money or glory?
06-17-2021 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: The Oklahoma Dilemma
Always money. Glory doesn't pay the bills. Tell your employees they're getting paid in glory. Try to budget your Olympic sports in glory.

And guaranteed Playoff berth? Oklahoma made the CFP four times in the last six years and one of the two times they missed was the COVID-19 year. They're fairly close to a Playoff lock now with four teams, going to 12 teams only changes it from 80% likely to 100% likely.
06-17-2021 11:36 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Let's make that statement more accurate:

It has been long rumored dreamed about by people on these boards who are bored and want some huge realignment/destruction to occur that Oklahoma may bolt the Big 12 for more money.
06-17-2021 12:41 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(06-17-2021 12:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Let's make that statement more accurate:

It has been long rumored dreamed about by people on these boards who are bored and want some huge realignment/destruction to occur that Oklahoma may bolt the Big 12 for more money.

Every Oklahoma/XII thread should have this post pinned.
06-17-2021 12:43 PM
schmolik Offline

(06-17-2021 12:43 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(06-17-2021 12:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Let's make that statement more accurate:

Every Oklahoma/XII thread should have this post pinned.

03-lmfao
06-17-2021 01:28 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
(06-17-2021 11:11 AM)XLance Wrote:  It has been long rumored that Oklahoma may bolt the Big 12 for more money. As the money gap grows between the B1G and SEC on one side on the other three P conferences on the other, Oklahoma was the one school that was thought to be the one that would take the money and run.
But now with the 12 team playoff reveal, it seems as if the Big 12's boost in playoff money and a possible increase in their T3 contract may keep Oklahoma at home. Why? GLORY and a better than average chance to win the Big 12 every year and be virtually guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.

Oklahoma has no dilemma. Reports in Oklahoma, indicate the OU Administration strongly favors the Big10 and that they will likely accept an invitation to the Big10... if offered, and it is not all about football.

They seem to believe that moving to the Big10 will greatly help improve their academics and increase their research income and also benefit the State of Oklahoma.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2021 05:32 PM by texoma.)
06-17-2021 03:20 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-17-2021 03:20 PM)texoma Wrote:  
(06-17-2021 11:11 AM)XLance Wrote:  It has been long rumored that Oklahoma may bolt the Big 12 for more money. As the money gap grows between the B1G and SEC on one side on the other three P conferences on the other, Oklahoma was the one school that was thought to be the one that would take the money and run.

Oklahoma has no dilemma. Reports in Oklahoma, indicate the OU Administration strongly favors the Big10 and that they will likely accept an invitation to the Big10... if offered, and it is not all about football.

They seem to believe that moving to the Big10 will greatly help improve their academics and increase their research income and also benefit the State of Oklahoma.

They may believe that, but it doesn't mean it will happen. That being said, it probably wouldn't be about football as much as it would be about money. I suspect their recruiting would suffer in the B1G and not just because Nebraska has struggled. Nebraska wasn't as dependent on Texas recruits to the extent the Sooners are.
06-17-2021 06:05 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
(06-17-2021 06:05 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-17-2021 03:20 PM)texoma Wrote:  

They may believe that, but it doesn't mean it will happen. That being said, it probably wouldn't be about football as much as it would be about money. I suspect their recruiting would suffer in the B1G and not just because Nebraska has struggled. Nebraska wasn't as dependent on Texas recruits to the extent the Sooners are.

I would not know personally, but these are knowledgeable people that are making the decisions. It is about money and academics and less about football.

People keep equating Oklahoma with Nebraska. That is not the case. OU had great success for decades and decades recruiting players from Texas when playing in a different conference and playing only one team per year from Texas. If OU goes to the Big, their recruiting will not be hurt, it may be enhanced.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2021 07:39 PM by texoma.)
06-17-2021 07:34 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I always choose glory over money—that’s why I’m a major shareholder of Blockbuster stock.
06-18-2021 07:17 AM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
OU wanted to get out of the Big 12 before, didn’t they? I don’t think the playoff expansion would affect OU’s decision much. The real question is whether the media would pay enough for the Big 12 and OU to be competitve with the SEC and the BIG and whether these two conference would take OU without UT.
06-18-2021 11:00 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(06-18-2021 11:00 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  OU wanted to get out of the Big 12 before, didn’t they? I don’t think the playoff expansion would affect OU’s decision much. The real question is whether the media would pay enough for the Big 12 and OU to be competitve with the SEC and the BIG and whether these two conference would take OU without UT.

That answer is 100% yes. Oklahoma stands on its own two feet in virtually any category that matters in these discussions. There may have been a time a decade or more ago when the PAC, BIG, or ACC would get snooty over a school like Oklahoma being just great in academics instead of premier, but I think recent times have shifted that thinking (i.e., the BIG taking Nebraska knowing full well that they would soon loose AAU status.) I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I recall that Oklahoma would at least be in the average range for all conferences in terms of academic profile and, of course, are cream of the crop in athletic measures.
06-18-2021 01:29 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-18-2021 11:00 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  OU wanted to get out of the Big 12 before, didn’t they? I don’t think the playoff expansion would affect OU’s decision much. The real question is whether the media would pay enough for the Big 12 and OU to be competitive with the SEC and the BIG and whether these two conference would take OU without UT.

I don't know how accurate that statement is. I do think it can be said that OU's former president, David Boren, used the threat of leaving as negotiating leverage. And, he might not have been happy with how OU was viewed compared with how UT was viewed by both fans and media. But he is now long gone and in disgrace, so who knows what the PTB at OU want today?
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 02:07 PM by ken d.)
06-18-2021 02:06 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(06-18-2021 02:06 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 11:00 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  OU wanted to get out of the Big 12 before, didn’t they? I don’t think the playoff expansion would affect OU’s decision much. The real question is whether the media would pay enough for the Big 12 and OU to be competitive with the SEC and the BIG and whether these two conference would take OU without UT.

I don't know how accurate that statement is. I do think it can be said that OU's former president, David Boren, used the threat of leaving as negotiating leverage. And, he might not have been happy with how OU was viewed compared with how UT was viewed by both fans and media. But he is now long gone and in disgrace, so who knows what the PTB at OU want today?

Didn’t OU want to join the PAC 12 with or without UT in 2011? I believe they filed an actual application.

You are right in that Boren is gone and we don’t know what’s OU’s current thinking. But why did OU want to leave at the first place?

I guess money, stability, and less political dominance from UT were the reasons. That’s probably why A&M left.

Now the question is: have these issues been addressed or not?
06-18-2021 04:11 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(06-18-2021 01:29 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 11:00 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  OU wanted to get out of the Big 12 before, didn’t they? I don’t think the playoff expansion would affect OU’s decision much. The real question is whether the media would pay enough for the Big 12 and OU to be competitve with the SEC and the BIG and whether these two conference would take OU without UT.

That answer is 100% yes. Oklahoma stands on its own two feet in virtually any category that matters in these discussions. There may have been a time a decade or more ago when the PAC, BIG, or ACC would get snooty over a school like Oklahoma being just great in academics instead of premier, but I think recent times have shifted that thinking (i.e., the BIG taking Nebraska knowing full well that they would soon loose AAU status.) I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I recall that Oklahoma would at least be in the average range for all conferences in terms of academic profile and, of course, are cream of the crop in athletic measures.

Actually OU would be in the bottom third or fourth or so of P-5's from academic standing standpoint.

To look at B10 comparables use ARWU rankings because they are output heavy and reward graduate research. This is the essences of a B10 school.

OU is ranked with Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Auburn, Baylor, BC, Clemson, and Oklahoma State. They are ranked above Alabama, Syracuse, Arkansas, and Louisville.

Small enrollment and undergraduate focused schools don't rate as well as Research powerhouses. Kansas could easily be the next AAU school tossed out of the AAU.

The ideal academic/research profile for the B10 and near the B10 is any of UNC/Pitt/GT/NCSU/VT/Cincinnati/Vanderbilt/Colorado/Iowa State/Texas/TAMU and Virginia. All of these are top 50-75 research heavy institutions. Notre Dame is not heavy research but we know the B10 would take them in a heartbeat. OU is not research heavy but again the B10 would likely take them in a heartbeat. Pitt, Cincy and ISU are already in their footprint. Culturally Vandy, Texas, TAMU, GT, UNC, and UVa don't mesh with the B10.

If you don't have your own nuclear reactor or you aren't building something for NASA, you don't fit the B10.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 06:19 PM by Statefan.)
06-18-2021 05:59 PM
schmolik Offline

I can't speak for the Big 10 but to me there should only be one OSU in the conference. I wouldn't say I wouldn't take Oklahoma without Texas but if they think you know who is coming along, do the words oh heck no mean anything to you?
06-18-2021 06:15 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(06-18-2021 06:15 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I can't speak for the Big 10 but to me there should only be one OSU in the conference. I wouldn't say I wouldn't take Oklahoma without Texas but if they think you know who is coming along, do the words oh heck no mean anything to you?

Oklahoma State is what it is. Its greatest asset was also its greatest negative - T Boone Pickens. The B10 is leery of a university that can be driven by one money man.
06-18-2021 06:22 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
Is it truly a dilemma when there are not active offers/options to choose?
The B1G does have the door open for them, so there's not much to debate.
While David Bored tried to grow the academic stature of the school by giving free tuition and room/board to National Merit Scholars. That was supposed to also bring in noted faculty. When he retired, theprogram was slashed essentially in half along with out-of-state students paying the in-state tuition rate, less a $2,000 "coupon".
06-18-2021 06:35 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
On the field, in a 12 team playoff, it's basically a wash, or it comes out slightly in favor of the B12. OU wouldn't be able to win the SEC or B1G as often, but could finish in the top 3 or 4 of either conference most years and make the playoff. OU currently recruits well, but not on the level of Alabama or Ohio State. That would change with a conference move, providing the opportunity to break the ceiling of a consistent #4 or #5 to become actually competitive for a national championship.

The two on-field observations with the B12: 1) OU has an easier chance to win the B12, thus providing the chance to finish as a top 4 conference champion with a first round bye most years. The flip side of that is 2) In a year when OU finishes 9-3 or 10-2 and doesn't win the B12, there will be a decreased chance of an at-large playoff bid. A 9-3 SEC team stands a pretty good chance of making the playoff.

Competitively, the B12 offers a higher ceiling in the regular season, but a lower floor. However, the ceiling is lower in the post-season. OU hasn't been able to crack the glass ceiling of the CFP semifinals. The SEC offers a chance to build a team strong enough to win a national championship.

Academically, a move to the B1G would be a dream come true. It causes OU academic administrators to salivate. It would be a tough sell to athletic donors and to fans. The only schools in the B1G that would move the needle in Norman are Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Only Nebraska is reasonably nearby. And the B1G wouldn't put all four of those schools on OU's schedule every year. The rest of the B1G is made up of fine schools, but none that would excite the Oklahoma fan base. OTOH, the SEC would provide yearly games (in an 8 team western division) with nearby Texas A&M and Arkansas, old friend Missouri, and LSU. In addition, crossover possibilities for home games with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee would increase donations and demand for season tickets.

And, with the fans in mind: the fans are already in a foul mood regarding 11 am kickoffs. The AD has already apologized for Fox's 11 am kickoff of this year's Nebraska game. The SEC has their share, especially for SEC Network games. However, the SEC's prime TV windows are at 2:30 pm and at night. Most OU SEC games would probably fit in those time slots. The B1G's prime window is now Fox Big Noon Saturday, which is 11 am in Norman. Just as in the B12, Fox would try to have OU in that time slot as much as possible. The fans would revolt over more 11 am games. Another point in favor of the SEC with fans and athletic donors.

OU's athletic department needs the money for things in demand. OU borrowed money to finish the new south end zone addition, with enhanced seating and suites. Fundraising has been slow for other projects, such as a new softball stadium, renovation of the baseball stadium, and a replacement of the basketball arena. Increased revenue and donations from a move to a new conference will only help with those things.

The trump card in conference realignment for OU is OSU. OU is not legally tied to OSU, but would prefer to stay with them if possible (but not at a cost of $20 million per year). The B1G will not offer OSU. The SEC would consider it as the price for obtaining Oklahoma.

All things being equal, OU would prefer to stay home in the B12. However, the B12 will not be able to command the revenue of the new SEC deal and an upcoming B1G deal. There is currently a $20M/year per team difference in the new SEC deal and the current B12 deal + Tier 3 rights (Tier 3 for OU is currently around $7.5M/year). It's hard to tell if the B12 will be able to get more than what they are currently getting. The networks' refusal of early renegotiation of the contract is not a good sign.

And, based on the recent realignment, OU would be forced to buy their share of equity in the B1G Network, as Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers did. They would be taking reduced payments for as long as 10 years in exchange for their share of the B1G Network. In the SEC, they would become a full partner immediately, since ESPN owns the network.

Look out for the OU Tier 3 deal. It is currently with Bally Sports/Sinclair, having moved over from Fox when the regional networks were sold. Sinclair overpaid for the RSNs, and may not be in a position to renew. If ESPN gets OU's Tier 3 rights, either short-term or long-term, they can either do something with the Big 12 or they can move it over to the SEC Network at the proper time. However, if Fox is involved, they can move into a deal with the B1G Network.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 09:34 PM by johnintx.)
06-18-2021 07:23 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-18-2021 06:15 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I can't speak for the Big 10 but to me there should only be one OSU in the conference. I wouldn't say I wouldn't take Oklahoma without Texas but if they think you know who is coming along, do the words oh heck no mean anything to you?

If they can get Oklahoma as the lead invite into the Big Ten, past the academic snobs, without Texas to distract them, it's going to be Oklahoma / Kansas. It is most certainly NOT going to be the Pokes (Go Pokes!).
06-19-2021 08:11 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I like the Oklahoma/Kansas pairing in the Big Ten for a lot of reasons. Personally, I think Oklahoma has just as good a chance at making the field of 12 in a loaded Big Ten as they do in the Big 12–granted there won’t be as many first found byes.

There’s also the $20M/yr pay bump to consider too.
06-19-2021 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.