Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Latest Bracketology
Bookmark and Share
tigerjoe67 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Tigers
Latest Bracketology
In his latest version posted today, Lunardi no longer has Memphis in the "last out" categories. We are far from being in according to Lunardi.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 03:17 PM by tigerjoe67.)
02-13-2024 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aardWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Latest Bracketology
(02-13-2024 02:17 PM)tigerjoe67 Wrote:  In his latest version posted today, Linardi no longer has Memphis in the "last out" categories.

More specifically, we're not even listed in the tournament. He has the AAC as a two-bid league with South Florida as AQ and FAU getting the second slot.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/...redictions
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 02:20 PM by aardWolf.)
02-13-2024 02:19 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-13-2024 02:19 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 02:17 PM)tigerjoe67 Wrote:  In his latest version posted today, Linardi no longer has Memphis in the "last out" categories.

More specifically, we're not even listed in the tournament. He has the AAC as a two-bid league with South Florida as AQ and FAU getting the second slot.

Well, we are currently in 6th place in the conference standings.
02-13-2024 02:29 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Win the next two games and we’ll be listed as in next week. Haven’t played anyone since our losing streak.
02-13-2024 02:30 PM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

Latest Bracketology
(02-13-2024 02:29 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  

I’m not saying I don’t think it’s justified. The original post left some ambiguity as to whether we were in or out.
02-13-2024 02:32 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2024 02:32 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 02:29 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  

I’m not saying I don’t think it’s justified. The original post left some ambiguity as to whether we were in or out.

Ah, ok. I see.

Pretty much got to win out in the regular season, with maybe one L at FAU. Or, win the conference tourney. It's crazy to think we would have been in this spot a few weeks ago.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 02:37 PM by oruvoice.)
02-13-2024 02:37 PM
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

It may be too late in the season now, but we could improve our tournament chances by not only winning games, but winning by large margins and improving our offensive efficiency. Currently, we are 82nd in scoring margin and 87th in offensive efficiency...frankly, I don't see us getting much better than 70th in either category, but every little bit would help.

Ah, who am I kidding? I think we have to reach 24 regular season wins and then make the AAC tournament finals to get in the dance. Stranger things have happened.
02-13-2024 02:52 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

He gives the current conference leaders the AQ's. Makes no "bracketologist" predictions on schedules or anything else. Which is a consistent process - but flawed. I think if this was my job and reputation, I'd build more into than that.

So he has USF as the AQ and "has" to put FAU in. He probably models us as a 2-bid league - although he would never admit to slotting conferences in the bracket. Thus, we are out.

It's silly that he has Seton Hall listed as first 4 out, without a Memphis mention though. Seton Hall's resume is trash.
02-13-2024 04:33 PM
former guest Online
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(02-13-2024 04:33 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

He gives the current conference leaders the AQ's. Makes no "bracketologist" predictions on schedules or anything else. Which is a consistent process - but flawed. I think if this was my job and reputation, I'd build more into than that.

So he has USF as the AQ and "has" to put FAU in. He probably models us as a 2-bid league - although he would never admit to slotting conferences in the bracket. Thus, we are out.

It's silly that he has Seton Hall listed as first 4 out, without a Memphis mention though. Seton Hall's resume is trash.

But because they are in the Big East, that is all that matters.... 05-mafia
02-13-2024 04:40 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(02-13-2024 04:40 PM)former guest Wrote:  

But because they are in the Big East, that is all that matters.... 05-mafia

They don't have a home Quad 4 loss.

Many here can't comprehend just how devastating the home loss to Rice actually was.
02-14-2024 01:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem

They have wins against #1 Uconn and #4 Marquette plus two other Quad 1 wins. plus they have 0 Q4 losses
02-14-2024 02:24 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2024 02:24 AM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  

They have wins against #1 Uconn and #4 Marquette plus two other Quad 1 wins. plus they have 0 Q4 losses

They do. They've also got two Q3 losses, and only have a winning record in Q4. So the NET still has them at 76. You can't really use part of the NET without using the entirety.

The committee gets 4 ratings services, plus their "eye test". In all 4 ratings they are behind Memphis, and with an avg rating of 68.
02-14-2024 12:03 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
This team losing to the teams it has lost to does not deserve to get in the tourney unless they win out the rest of the season including the conference tourney.

Tough life lessons for a bunch of kids who can't get out of the way of their egos.

The made their bed so go lay in it.
02-14-2024 10:05 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
If we are still outside looking in at this years tournament Penny needs to set aside his own ego and cut all the BS about doing this because he loves the city. He loves being a head coach in a D1 hoops school. And I get it, I would too but the fact that he loves the city is secondary. If we miss out this year he should step aside for the good of the program and the city he loves. Hell, Stansbury is a much better tactician. Keep Penny as a recruiter, it's what he's best at. Hell, even naming someone co-head coach would be a step in the right direction as long as it's a coach who can coach in game.

I still love the guy as I'm sure most fans do. I'd like to maintain that.
02-15-2024 07:23 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(02-15-2024 07:23 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  If we are still outside looking in at this years tournament Penny needs to set aside his own ego and cut all the BS about doing this because he loves the city. He loves being a head coach in a D1 hoops school. And I get it, I would too but the fact that he loves the city is secondary. If we miss out this year he should step aside for the good of the program and the city he loves. Hell, Stansbury is a much better tactician. Keep Penny as a recruiter, it's what he's best at. Hell, even naming someone co-head coach would be a step in the right direction as long as it's a coach who can coach in game.

I’m not ready for that yet but he needs to change how he subs
02-15-2024 10:26 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2024 10:05 PM)mapdude Wrote:  This team losing to the teams it has lost to does not deserve to get in the tourney unless they win out the rest of the season including the conference tourney.

Tough life lessons for a bunch of kids who can't get out of the way of their egos.

The made their bed so go lay in it.

That might be true in a bubble. But the truth is MANY teams have taken bad losses this year - more so than any other year. And they have to put 68 teams in the tourney.

Do you really think we are not one of the top 68 teams in the country - looking at the entire season and not just a 1-month period?
02-15-2024 10:37 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2024 07:23 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  If we are still outside looking in at this years tournament Penny needs to set aside his own ego and cut all the BS about doing this because he loves the city. He loves being a head coach in a D1 hoops school. And I get it, I would too but the fact that he loves the city is secondary. If we miss out this year he should step aside for the good of the program and the city he loves. Hell, Stansbury is a much better tactician. Keep Penny as a recruiter, it's what he's best at. Hell, even naming someone co-head coach would be a step in the right direction as long as it's a coach who can coach in game.

Way too far too soon.

The program was in a ditch when he took it over, and it's improved every year since he's been in control. If he misses the tourney this year it's a certain step backwards, and he needs to do some serious reflection. But firing after one off year? No way.

And Stansbury would be a terrible alternative. Good player-getter, bad bench coach. Look at his record after 21 years as a HC. 6 NCAA tourneys, never past the round of 32. If Penny's 40% NCAA qualification is not good enough for Memphis fans, then Slick Rick's 29% success rate sure would not be.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024 10:59 AM by Tiger87.)
02-15-2024 10:57 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
Once again Stansbury is no tactition. Don’t know why everyone thinks that. He’s a recruiter
02-15-2024 11:36 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
The biggest problem we have is our conference...it has a distinct lack of clout . And no coach is gonna change that.

Even the once lowly Mountain West is tripling us...lol.

Big 12: 9
SEC: 9
Big Ten: 6
Mountain West: 6
Big East: 4
ACC: 4
Pac-12: 3
American: 2
Atlantic 10: 2
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024 12:35 PM by snowtiger.)
02-15-2024 12:25 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

It’s not the 68 best teams and never has been.

But id sure like Memphis to get in and make a few more sweet 16 or better runs in the next few years before the power conf schools tell the NCAA to go jump and have their own 68 team postseason tournament. Same as we need Silverfield to get us in that 12 team playoff before the G6 opportunity is phased out. At least just to say we made it.

Once all that happens with the CFP and the basketball tournament it won’t matter who’s our coach, what conf we’re in, etc.
02-15-2024 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.