Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...UMASS to MAC - perhaps we nab a few A-10 teams?
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...UMASS to MAC - perhaps we nab a few A-10 teams?
...seems like there was scuttlebutt about a year ago - when Army ended up joining - that VCU, and perhaps a few more (St. Louis, Dayton) could be a possibilty to join the AAC... Not sure as to their 'overall value', but would definitely help out the league's profile in bball... 03-idea
02-26-2024 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: ...UMASS to MAC - perhaps we nab a few A-10 teams?
UMASS basketball to the MAC?

No way.
02-26-2024 06:00 PM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

Wow. Thats unreal.

UMASS was a national brand in 1995 and now they are playing Toledo in basketball.

Thats really really sad for UMASS fans.
02-26-2024 06:02 PM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(02-26-2024 05:59 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...seems like there was scuttlebutt about a year ago - when Army ended up joining - that VCU, and perhaps a few more (St. Louis, Dayton) could be a possibilty to join the AAC... Not sure as to their 'overall value', but would definitely help out the league's profile in bball... 03-idea

Offer those three immediately as a package deal. AAC instantly becomes a top 6-7 basketball conference worthy of 3-5 bids each year.
02-26-2024 06:14 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 06:00 PM)panicstricken Wrote:  UMASS basketball to the MAC?

No way.

...yeah, a bit of a head-scratcher in terms of UMass b-ball... ...on the other hand, should be a stout fave to get the MAC autobid in most seasons, although there have been some decent teams from the MAC here and there... Toledo had some good years recently, I believe...

EDIT - just saw your second post about Toledo... er... 03-drunk03-lmfao ...yeah, the MAC isn't known for the roundball...
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2024 06:17 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
02-26-2024 06:14 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 06:14 PM)Owls9878 Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 05:59 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...seems like there was scuttlebutt about a year ago - when Army ended up joining - that VCU, and perhaps a few more (St. Louis, Dayton) could be a possibilty to join the AAC... Not sure as to their 'overall value', but would definitely help out the league's profile in bball... 03-idea

Offer those three immediately as a package deal. AAC instantly becomes a top 6-7 basketball conference worthy of 3-5 bids each year.

...yep, could be Aresco's final move for his legacy... I'm good with it... 04-cheers
02-26-2024 06:16 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Unfortunately I don’t think basketball adds enough to bring in teams. With that said adding three from
Dayton, Richmond, VCU and Loyola Chicago to go to 16 in basketball would be nice.
02-26-2024 06:53 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(02-26-2024 06:53 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  Unfortunately I don’t think basketball adds enough to bring in teams. With that said adding three from
Dayton, Richmond, VCU and Loyola Chicago to go to 16 in basketball would be nice.

St. Louis would need to come before Richmond or Loyola. It’s a moot point because they’d need to pay for themselves in the media deal and only Dayton could really do that.
02-28-2024 07:48 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(02-28-2024 07:48 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 06:53 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  Unfortunately I don’t think basketball adds enough to bring in teams. With that said adding three from

St. Louis would need to come before Richmond or Loyola. It’s a moot point because they’d need to pay for themselves in the media deal and only Dayton could really do that.

Vcu probably can too.

Richmond, Loyola, and slu I doubt.
02-28-2024 05:13 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I think VCU would be the most likely to come, if anyone came. The Catholic schools have Big East aspirations, realistic or not.
02-28-2024 05:52 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Who’s to say that teams would not join the AAC for the same money they are making in the A10? We could use some of our exit fee warchest to help them with the exit fees.

It would strengthen the league in hoops, for sure. I would go after VCU, Dayton and St. Louis if I were Aresco.
02-28-2024 09:33 PM
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(02-28-2024 09:33 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Who’s to say that teams would not join the AAC for the same money they are making in the A10? We could use some of our exit fee warchest to help them with the exit fees.

It would strengthen the league in hoops, for sure. I would go after VCU, Dayton and St. Louis if I were Aresco.

They can make the same as Wichita its like 3m a year. They make a couple tourneys every 4 years or a run in one every four years and they have paid for themselves. Dayton and VCU are both capable of that maybe SLU though its a gamble.
02-28-2024 10:34 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(02-28-2024 10:34 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(02-28-2024 09:33 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Who’s to say that teams would not join the AAC for the same money they are making in the A10? We could use some of our exit fee warchest to help them with the exit fees.

They can make the same as Wichita its like 3m a year. They make a couple tourneys every 4 years or a run in one every four years and they have paid for themselves. Dayton and VCU are both capable of that maybe SLU though its a gamble.

But do they want to leave a league that's at least equal, if not stronger, and give up games against established regional rivals. And do they want to be in a league where basketball isn't the priority.
02-28-2024 10:41 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(02-28-2024 10:41 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  
(02-28-2024 10:34 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

But do they want to leave a league that's at least equal, if not stronger, and give up games against established regional rivals. And do they want to be in a league where basketball isn't the priority.

I assume you mean isn't THE priority. We're talking Dayton what regional rivals would they be leaving? SLU I guess maybe Loyola? VCU actually has some, but the money is significant and VCU gets some close opponents still in ECU, Charlotte (old A10) and Temple. Better exposure, better money, better seeds, and normally better basketball. Not a slam dunk and the non-football may be an issue, but this is definitely something that is possible.
02-28-2024 10:55 PM
CollegeHillShocker Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
I would love to see VCU and Dayton join. Without football, what's best for WSU is the strongest basketball conference we can get. Assuming we actually improve our program from it's current state.
02-29-2024 09:41 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(02-29-2024 09:41 AM)CollegeHillShocker Wrote:  I would love to see VCU and Dayton join. Without football, what's best for WSU is the strongest basketball conference we can get. Assuming we actually improve our program from it's current state.

I would love to be in a conference with Dayton again. Memphis and UAB were in the Great Midwest with Dayton back in the 90s. I dont think Dayton goes anywhere however. They are waiting for UCONN to join another conference and see if they can get a Big East invite.
02-29-2024 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Dayton and VCU are no brainers, IMO. If their addition can be done, it should be done.
02-29-2024 09:59 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I like SLU as an add

Dont really care about the others
02-29-2024 07:17 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(02-26-2024 06:00 PM)panicstricken Wrote:  UMASS basketball to the MAC?

No way.

It's official, we are putting football first and both the Football and Basketball NIls are doing fine. Infact with this move, believe the basketball NIL is gaining members at a good clip supporting basketball.

Quote:The University of Massachusetts has accepted an invitation to join the Mid-American Conference (MAC) as a full member, beginning on July 1, 2025.

A press conference will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, March 7 in the Hunt Room at the Football Performance Center (see details below).

"As one of the nation's leading public research universities, with a rich tradition of intercollegiate athletics, UMass Amherst is well suited to join the similarly situated institutions of the Mid-American Conference," said Chancellor Javier A. Reyes. "We are aligned with the MAC in our institutional missions, our values, and the profound impact we have on our respective communities. We join the MAC with great enthusiasm knowing that this affiliation through athletics will elevate and extend the profile and exposure of both UMass Amherst and all members of the MAC's member institutions significantly."

Massachusetts will compete in the Mid-American Conference in baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, football, men's and women's indoor/outdoor track & field, women's lacrosse, women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming and diving, women's tennis. The Massachusetts hockey program will remain in the Hockey East Association moving forward.

More information will become available in the coming months regarding future conference membership plans for the UMass men's soccer, men's lacrosse and women's rowing programs.

All UMass sports currently competing in the Atlantic 10 will remain in the Atlantic 10 through the 2024-2025 academic year and maintain eligibility to compete for conference championships and NCAA postseason play. Massachusetts football will continue as an FBS independent program for the 2024 season.

"Our entire athletics program will benefit greatly by aligning and partnering with the Mid-American conference and its member institutions," said Director of Athletics Ryan Bamford. "As we consider our future in a very challenging and choppy college athletics landscape, having conference peers with similar institutional profiles, aspirations and commitments toward athletics excellence will provide stability and strength. Furthermore, our transition to the MAC will provide additional resources allowing our department to evolve and grow in a manner that will support student academic success and competitive excellence," Bamford added.
https://umassathletics.com/news/2024/2/2...ull-member
02-29-2024 10:49 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I still believe we should have added UMass..
They are jus such a perfect fit in this conference. I think football will improve and basketball will continue to get better under Frank Martin.
02-29-2024 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.