Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

March Madness Travel
Bookmark and Share
14SemesterDuke Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
March Madness Travel
Let’s get the discussion going. Hoping for Charlotte, Pitt, or NYC in that order.
03-11-2024 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
RE: March Madness Travel
Got you guys as a 12 in Spokane right now. https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpress...etology-9/
03-11-2024 08:27 PM
sekudog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(03-11-2024 08:27 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Got you guys as a 12 in Spokane right now. https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpress...etology-9/

God I hope not, we don't want an SEC team.....anyone but that.
03-11-2024 08:38 PM
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes
(03-11-2024 08:38 PM)sekudog Wrote:  
(03-11-2024 08:27 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Got you guys as a 12 in Spokane right now. https://carolinasportsthoughts.wordpress...etology-9/

God I hope not, we don't want an SEC team.....anyone but that.

Lol
03-11-2024 08:40 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(03-11-2024 08:13 PM)14SemesterDuke Wrote:  Let’s get the discussion going. Hoping for Charlotte, Pitt, or NYC in that order.

Good odds to have JMU in one of those 3 easy travel locations. There are only 8 locations total for the first round.

The Dukes have put themself in position with a conference championship and gaudy record to be seeded well. They could very well be only a slight underdog by Vegas standards and we all know that March Madness crowds favor the underdog and will rally behind them. Neutral court games become home court advantage quickly.
Let’s hope the location is one of the 3 listed above so JMU fans can be a part of the homecourt advantage.
03-11-2024 09:39 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
Hoping for Charlotte since I can trake the silly little train and don't even have drive and park I uptown.
03-11-2024 09:41 PM
Advertisement

hburg Offline

I hope it is close. I remember traveling to Dayton for the playin game when we beat Long Island. Those were fun times.
03-11-2024 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheDudeWithTheJMUTat Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2024 09:50 PM)hburg Wrote:  I hope it is close. I remember traveling to Dayton for the playin game when we beat Long Island. Those were fun times.

I watched that one at A-Town in Arlington, and then made the drive to watch us play Cody Zeller, Yogi, and Oladipo fairly tightly, lose, but cover the spread against IU! Small victories. Also, the Indiana fans told us we brought the noise relative to our size better than any team they had seen in the tournament in recent memory.
Pretty sure Newbill was there in a teletubby costume. Or maybe that was at the tournament in Richmond. Great memories nonetheless, and I hope to make more…in Memphis (for selfish travel reasons)!!!!
03-11-2024 10:06 PM
jjthebutcher Offline
Special Teams

Living in KC I’m hoping for Omaha!
03-11-2024 10:33 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(03-11-2024 10:06 PM)TheDudeWithTheJMUTat Wrote:  
(03-11-2024 09:50 PM)hburg Wrote:  I hope it is close. I remember traveling to Dayton for the playin game when we beat Long Island. Those were fun times.

I watched that one at A-Town in Arlington, and then made the drive to watch us play Cody Zeller, Yogi, and Oladipo fairly tightly, lose, but cover the spread against IU! Small victories. Also, the Indiana fans told us we brought the noise relative to our size better than any team they had seen in the tournament in recent memory.
Pretty sure Newbill was there in a teletubby costume. Or maybe that was at the tournament in Richmond. Great memories nonetheless, and I hope to make more…in Memphis (for selfish travel reasons)!!!!

I was there.

My wife (gf at the time) and I still joke about that night, specifically the tab. We had graduated the year prior and still had the "pregame at our apartment so we don't' spend money at the bars" college student mindset. We ran up a huge tab that night paying for a few rounds of drinks. I think it's still the largest just drinks and bar food tab I've paid for.
03-11-2024 11:01 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
What is the ideal destination to maximize attendance for Dukes fans here? I believe Charlotte probably has the right combo of committed sports fans+ regional alum base but we probably have more alums in the greater NYC area (generally less involved/passionate about JMU though). Pittsburgh would be an easy trip for many fans but I don't think we have a big following there. Ideally I think we would hope for the following to maximize attendance and fan interest:

1. Charlotte
2. Pittsburgh
3. Brooklyn
4. Indianapolis - Not the end of the world but limiting for those who won't want to pay for a plane ticket
5. Memphis - Not ideal
6. Omaha - Hard sell to most of our fans
7. Salt Lake City - Tough destination, especially if having to face BYU in basically a road game
8. Spokane - This would be an absolute attendance killer
03-11-2024 11:03 PM
Advertisement

TheDudeWithTheJMUTat Offline
Special Teams

(03-11-2024 11:01 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

I was there.

My wife (gf at the time) and I still joke about that night, specifically the tab. We had graduated the year prior and still had the "pregame at our apartment so we don't' spend money at the bars" college student mindset. We ran up a huge tab that night paying for a few rounds of drinks. I think it's still the largest just drinks and bar food tab I've paid for.

Perhaps we need our own OT thread for this lol, but remember when you were at the mercy of Redtop Cab? Like, you’d call them to pick you up in Ballston to go to Spider Kelly’s at 10 pm. If they showed up at 11 or 1 am or never was anyone’s guess. What a time it was to be alive. Kids these days will never understand that rush!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2024 11:34 PM by TheDudeWithTheJMUTat.)
03-11-2024 11:29 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Our good buddy Joe Lunardi has us up to a #11 seed. Going to Charlotte in 1982 to watch us defeat Ohio State in round 1 and lose to UNC in round 2 is still my best JMU sports experience. Wherever we play, get there if you can.
03-12-2024 05:20 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT

That was indeed me and my girlfriend at the time in the purple and gold (yellow) teletubbie outfits. Those pictures tend to surface around this time of year.

I was definitely there at the Coliseum in Richmond that year as I worked a few blocks over at the time.
03-12-2024 05:46 AM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(03-11-2024 11:03 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  What is the ideal destination to maximize attendance for Dukes fans here? I believe Charlotte probably has the right combo of committed sports fans+ regional alum base but we probably have more alums in the greater NYC area (generally less involved/passionate about JMU though). Pittsburgh would be an easy trip for many fans but I don't think we have a big following there. Ideally I think we would hope for the following to maximize attendance and fan interest:

1. Charlotte
2. Pittsburgh
3. Brooklyn
4. Indianapolis - Not the end of the world but limiting for those who won't want to pay for a plane ticket
5. Memphis - Not ideal
6. Omaha - Hard sell to most of our fans
7. Salt Lake City - Tough destination, especially if having to face BYU in basically a road game
8. Spokane - This would be an absolute attendance killer

for all of those reasons, we might as well lock up a hotel in salt lake city or Washington
03-12-2024 07:47 AM
Dukes1992! Offline
Bench Warmer

We would have to be a 10 seed to go to Charlotte. Right now as an 11 seed, 2 chances to be in Omaha, Pittsburgh, or Brooklyn.
03-12-2024 08:44 AM
Advertisement

CarRamrod Online
1st String

I think the difference for the 1st round between 10-12 is less meaningful than the matchup we are given. I am fine with a 12 if we get a favorable matchup against a team that is slipping recently and not playing with a lot of confidence. It seems to be a common trend with 5-12 and 6/11 upsets, you get a lot of 5/6 seeds that were 3 seeds a month ago but have lost their mojo.
03-12-2024 08:48 AM
Dukester Offline

I hope it's close but more so I hope it's Friday.

As busy as I am at work, a Thursday would not work unless it was real close and i could do it in a day.
03-12-2024 09:00 AM
bigredo Offline
Water Engineer

(03-12-2024 08:44 AM)Dukes1992! Wrote:  We would have to be a 10 seed to go to Charlotte. Right now as an 11 seed, 2 chances to be in Omaha, Pittsburgh, or Brooklyn.

This is probably a dumb question but are the seeds locked into certain locations? Why does Charlotte have to get the 10 seed? Is there a list somewhere?
03-12-2024 09:09 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(03-12-2024 09:09 AM)bigredo Wrote:  
(03-12-2024 08:44 AM)Dukes1992! Wrote:  We would have to be a 10 seed to go to Charlotte. Right now as an 11 seed, 2 chances to be in Omaha, Pittsburgh, or Brooklyn.

This is probably a dumb question but are the seeds locked into certain locations? Why does Charlotte have to get the 10 seed? Is there a list somewhere?

I was going to say I don't believe certain locations have "seeds" locked in. We know dates of locations, but I believe seeding is arbitrary based on teams participating:

Thu/Sat = Charlotte, Omaha, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake
Fri/Sun = Brooklyn, Indianapolis, Memphis, Spokane
03-12-2024 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.