Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alger Resigning
Bookmark and Share
tribe_transfer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
Alger Resigning
Dear JMU community,

After serving for 12 years as president of James Madison University, it is with a true mix of emotions that I share the news today that I have accepted an offer to become president of American University in Washington, D.C. in July 2024. I have been deeply honored to work with all of you at this amazing institution. For professional and personal reasons, Mary Ann and I believe that this is the right time for us to embark together on one more chapter of our higher education journey.

Collectively, we have accomplished a great deal at JMU with all of you. The university is better and stronger than ever. We have transitioned into a true national research university and are no longer “the best kept secret” in American higher education. Applications and enrollments continue to break records as the institution’s national reputation has spread. Under the auspices of our first-rate faculty, our academic programs have been expanded and enhanced to meet the rapidly evolving demands of the 21st century. We have realized the bold vision we set forth shortly after I arrived to become “the national model of the engaged university: engaged with ideas and with the world,” and have become a national leader in the areas of engaged learning, community engagement and civic engagement.

JMU is a more diverse, inclusive and welcoming campus than ever before, and will continue to strive to open its doors to individuals from all backgrounds. We successfully planned and executed the ambitious Unleashed comprehensive campaign and are already laying the groundwork for an even more far-reaching campaign in the years ahead.

Our athletics program made the most successful transition in history from the FCS to the FBS level in Division I and has been strikingly successful across the board. The university is on sound financial footing and is known for being extremely well managed and a strong value for students. Our student experience is also second to none. There are many reasons why the moniker, “The Everything School,” has caught on so quickly.

I always tell our students to “dream big,” and this upcoming transition now represents a dream come true for Mary Ann and me. American University has an academic profile that mirrors my deep interests in national and global policy, public service and law. Mary Ann and I met just down the street from American University at National Presbyterian Church, which was where I proposed to Mary Ann, where we were married and where our daughter, Eleanor, was baptized. Mary Ann and I both lived in the Washington metro area for over a decade as we were beginning our professional careers and we have always maintained close professional and personal ties there. It is as though our lives are now coming full circle.

Over the next few months, there will be much to do. I believe firmly in the importance of finishing strong and will work closely with the Board of Visitors and administration to ensure a smooth and successful transition. Mary Ann and I will always love JMU and its people. It has been the privilege and opportunity of a lifetime to serve as your president for these past twelve years. I make this decision with confidence, knowing that we are surrounded by a talented and dedicated group of people who will continue to carry out JMU’s impactful mission, vision and values.

In the coming weeks, the Executive Committee of the Board of Visitors will make a recommendation for an acting president to the full board for a formal vote. The university’s Board of Visitors will approve an acting president to start July 1 and begin executing the search process for the next president of the university. Additional information will be shared as this process advances.

I truly believe that the best is yet to come for JMU. Thank you all for your support and encouragement over these many years. We will always proudly consider ourselves to be part of the extended JMU family. As always, Go Dukes!

Sincerely,

Jonathan R. Alger,
President
03-18-2024 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes_Royals Online
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University
RE: Alger Resigning
This sounds like a good move for Alger to be better aligned with his vision of higher education.

And I'm sure the JMU job will be hot like every single other position that needed to get filled this year. Next year's President and AD get to work together to craft what the future of JMU athletics is.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 11:54 AM by Dukes_Royals.)
03-18-2024 11:49 AM
14SemesterDuke Offline
1st String

Wow. Hate to say it, but Alger did a good job while here. Looking forward to the replacement!
03-18-2024 11:53 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Hmm. I wonder if this is why the AD search has been crawling at a snail's pace.

For all the hate he gets, Alger did some great things. Good luck to him and I hope his time at American is successful.
03-18-2024 11:55 AM
DirtyBird713 Offline
Water Engineer

My outlandish theory:

Alger leaving now means we're about to bring in a AD/President combo from the same place.
03-18-2024 11:56 AM
JMUPride Offline
1st String

(03-18-2024 11:56 AM)DirtyBird713 Wrote:  My outlandish theory:

Alger leaving now means we're about to bring in a AD/President combo from the same place.

Not the craziest theory
03-18-2024 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes_Royals Online
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University

The presidential search will take close to a year, so you better hope not. This isn't a position you fill in a few months.
03-18-2024 12:02 PM
DirtyBird713 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-18-2024 12:02 PM)Dukes_Royals Wrote:  

The presidential search will take close to a year, so you better hope not. This isn't a position you fill in a few months.

I would usually agree, but if during the AD search they've known Alger was close to retirement and were able to find a real power duo that already works well together, well, they might just jump on that. Of course this is all 100% speculation.
03-18-2024 12:07 PM
Dukester Offline

Get ready - "Why American?"

Can I get his tickets for Friday night? 03-cloud9

Scary the huge transition about to/ occured.

Charlie, Jeff, Alger, Cig, & By.

04-jawdrop
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:14 PM by Dukester.)
03-18-2024 12:10 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
New school president, AD and football coach all is half a year and all of their predecessors leaving on good terms. This amount of rapid turnover usually only happens after a scandal. Glad this churn was due to a retirement and two moving on to what they think will be bigger/better things.
03-18-2024 12:12 PM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(03-18-2024 11:57 AM)JMUPride Wrote:  

Not the craziest theory

May or may not be the same place. But it would have been peculiar for Alger to choose the next AD if he had one foot out the door.

We may see Bourne stay tethered to the role a little while longer until there is stability in the seat of the President. Athletic Director Emeritus or something along those lines.
03-18-2024 12:12 PM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
I never felt like Alger was 'one of us'.

That being said, he did accomplish a lot.

Best of luck to him and his family.
03-18-2024 12:13 PM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(03-18-2024 12:07 PM)DirtyBird713 Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 12:02 PM)Dukes_Royals Wrote:  

I would usually agree, but if during the AD search they've known Alger was close to retirement and were able to find a real power duo that already works well together, well, they might just jump on that. Of course this is all 100% speculation.

I would imagine that, through the AD search process, Alger made his intentions somewhat apparent. To the people that matter most, leading the school, I cant imagine this is a shocking revelation.
03-18-2024 12:14 PM
Dukester Offline

(03-18-2024 12:13 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  I never felt like Alger was 'one of us'.

That being said, he did accomplish a lot.

Best of luck to him and his family.

04-cheers Agree
03-18-2024 12:14 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
The BoV will appoint an acting president as a national search is completed. I think you probably have a pretty good idea of the candidate(s).

Curious timing. Alger is 61, and while AU is a strong school, it is far different from JMU. Imagine their board was looking for stability after the previous AU president allegedly resigned due to financial mismanagement and budget shortfalls. No doubt AU seems to be a good fit for him.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:22 PM by JMU2004.)
03-18-2024 12:15 PM
HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
Im not upset of him leaving as he doesnt fit JMU. Not sure what he, himself, accomplished single handedly. However, I'm more concerned about who they bring.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:18 PM by HolyCityDuke.)
03-18-2024 12:18 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Alger had some fumbles...and was a mismatch in some ways - but can't argue with the commitment to the plan and the results that have been piling in across campus, growth, fundraising, applications, athletics....congrats to Alger and good luck!

Now...why are we waiting until July to start a search? Amercian U sure didn't...
03-18-2024 12:18 PM
Dukester Offline

(03-18-2024 12:18 PM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  Im not upset of him leaving as he doesnt fit JMU. Not sure what he, himself, accomplished single handedly. However, I'm more concerned about who they bring.

Talk about 12 months of transition for JMU.

Might not recognize a lot of key people next year.
03-18-2024 12:19 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(03-18-2024 12:18 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Alger had some fumbles...and was a mismatch in some ways - but can't argue with the commitment to the plan and the results that have been piling in across campus, growth, fundraising, applications, athletics....congrats to Alger and good luck!

Now...why are we waiting until July to start a search? Amercian U sure didn't...

I was not a fan of Alger for a variety or reasons and many of my views on things are vastly different than his, but I will say he is leaving JMU better overall then when he began.

While Alger did get our fundraising going we really need to bring in someone that can turn alumni view of their years at JMU as best years of their lives into actual donations. The money is out there it just needs to be mined.
03-18-2024 12:27 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
this feels like terrible timing for the AD hire.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 12:32 PM by Deez Nuts.)
03-18-2024 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.