CSNbbs
Off-beat thought - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Off-beat thought (/thread-623469.html)

Off-beat thought - arkstfan - 03-12-2013 12:51 AM

Who has raided who among the contract leagues

SEC: Big XII
ACC: Big East
Big XII: Big East, MWC
PAC 12: Big XII, MWC
Big 10: Big East, Big XII, ACC

Only P12, SEC, Big 10 haven't been raided.

Only leagues Big 10 hasn't raided have been P12 but the geography doesn't work.

What if ego plays as much a part as money?

Would the Big 10 make a play for Mizzou or Kentucky just to assert they are the kings, title game results notwithstanding?

RE: Off-beat thought - HawaiiMongoose - 03-12-2013 01:19 AM

I don't know whether the Big 10 would make a move like that, but I firmly believe ego rivals money as a driving force in conference realignment.

RE: Off-beat thought - Wedge - 03-12-2013 01:22 AM

(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Only leagues Big 10 hasn't raided have been P12 but the geography doesn't work.

Colorado is contiguous to the Big Ten footprint. And given that the B1G has already added Maryland and Rutgers, CU makes a lot of sense because Delany is obviously going for dominant football powerhouses. 05-stirthepot

RE: Off-beat thought - JRsec - 03-12-2013 01:26 AM

(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Who has raided who among the contract leagues

Would the Big 10 make a play for Mizzou or Kentucky just to assert they are the kings, title game results notwithstanding?

Oh yeah! Kentucky just screams Big 10! The wonderful research dollars? The wonderful academics? (One of the lower rankings in the SEC) Large state school that has to share crop its Veterinary Medicine training to Auburn. Absolutely a slam dunk for Delany. Go back to the Mizzou theory. At least it has a scintilla of a chance of happening. I'll forgive the musing because things are slow as rip and and we are all getting long in the tooth over realignment and such wild whimsical ideas seem good early in the morning hours, but when the morning light comes I think this one will fade and you will go back to your usual reasonable, well thought out, and fact based observations that I enjoy reading.

When I get out there please reel me in as well. Take care. JR

RE: Off-beat thought - bullet - 03-12-2013 08:06 AM

(03-12-2013 12:51 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Who has raided who among the contract leagues

Ego does play a part, but I suspect there is a tacit truce between B1G and SEC. They will only fight over UNC. Interesting given that football is driving this and UNC is one of only 4 Big 5 schools not to be ranked in the final AP poll during the BCS era (Duke, UNC, UK, IU-not coincidentally, 4 of the top half dozen basketball programs).

RE: Off-beat thought - MickMack - 03-12-2013 08:07 AM

(03-12-2013 01:26 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Oh yeah! Kentucky just screams Big 10! The wonderful research dollars? The wonderful academics? (One of the lower rankings in the SEC) Large state school that has to share crop its Veterinary Medicine training to Auburn. Absolutely a slam dunk for Delany. Go back to the Mizzou theory. At least it has a scintilla of a chance of happening. I'll forgive the musing because things are slow as rip and and we are all getting long in the tooth over realignment and such wild whimsical ideas seem good early in the morning hours, but when the morning light comes I think this one will fade and you will go back to your usual reasonable, well thought out, and fact based observations that I enjoy reading.

When I get out there please reel me in as well. Take care. JR

I know several UK season ticket holders that would jump off a bridge the minute a UK to B1G rumor gained any traction. In fact, if this happened, I'm fairly sure Kentucky would go on lockdown. The team would never leave the Commonwealth.

RE: Off-beat thought - arkstfan - 03-12-2013 08:42 AM

My driving theory.

Big 10 rarely does the expected.
Big 10 likes to remind people they are in fact the kings of college athletics (and in money production they are)
It's boring right now.

RE: Off-beat thought - b0ndsj0ns - 03-12-2013 08:50 AM

(03-12-2013 08:42 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  My driving theory.

Big 10 rarely does the expected.
Big 10 likes to remind people they are in fact the kings of college athletics (and in money production they are)
It's boring right now.

Missouri was ready to sacrifice their first born child to join the B1G a couple of years ago, but that was also before the SEC invite. I'd be surprised but not stunned if something like that happened.

RE: Off-beat thought - blunderbuss - 03-12-2013 08:50 AM

It wouldn't surprise me at all arkstfan, especially the move on Mizzou. It's too good of an offer for the Mizzou president & academics to refuse IMO. Don't know much about Kentucky to be honest.

RE: Off-beat thought - gocards#1 - 03-12-2013 09:42 AM

UK isn't leaving the SEC. Not in a million billion years.

RE: Off-beat thought - BeliefBlazer - 03-12-2013 09:55 AM

but Mizzou might. It would make it even more awesome since the SEC supposedly has no exit fee.

RE: Off-beat thought - Gray Avenger - 03-12-2013 10:33 AM

(03-12-2013 08:50 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Missouri was ready to sacrifice their first born child to join the B1G a couple of years ago, but that was also before the SEC invite. I'd be surprised but not stunned if something like that happened.

Mizzou in the Big 10 makes more sense than in the SEC.

(1) more money
(2) closer geography
(3) better academics (14 AAU schools compared to only 3 in the SEC)
(4) better cultural compatibility (i.e. yankees)