CSNbbs
Happy Birthday Conference USA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Happy Birthday Conference USA (/thread-848760.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Happy Birthday Conference USA - tigerjeb - 04-24-2018 03:54 PM

formed April 24, 1995
[Image: tD4Pgzy.jpg]

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - Thegoldstandard - 04-24-2018 08:26 PM

Its kinda like what my dad said to my dog once. You have lived a long and useless life.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - blazerwkr - 04-24-2018 08:27 PM

We're not aging well - controlling brain is OTL

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - jasdf - 04-26-2018 09:20 AM

You were a still born baby, mother didn’t want you but you were still born.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - Cardiff - 04-26-2018 07:21 PM

Can’t swear to it but I think this is right

original 6 for football
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
Memphis
Southern Miss
Tulane

original 12 for hoops
Charlotte
Cincinnati
DePaul
Houston
Louisville
Marquette
Memphis
Saint Louis
South Florida
Southern Miss
Tulane
UAB

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - austinniner - 04-26-2018 10:42 PM

(04-26-2018 07:21 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  Can’t swear to it but I think this is right

original 6 for football
Cincinnati
Houston
Louisville
Memphis
Southern Miss
Tulane

original 12 for hoops
Charlotte
Cincinnati
DePaul
Houston
Louisville
Marquette
Memphis
Saint Louis
South Florida
Southern Miss
Tulane
UAB

Houston came a year later if I remember correctly

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - born in the burg - 04-26-2018 11:13 PM

Army was in the original 6. Houston came in year 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - MU ATO - 04-27-2018 07:44 AM

Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - gulfcoastgal - 04-27-2018 08:51 AM

(04-27-2018 07:44 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.
Looking back (hindsight I know), I don't think the Memphis admin or fans view the CUSA to AAC move as lateral in any way. I have looked most closely at Memphis financials and listened to the decision makers speak more than other schools, but they are better off in every metric mentioned. For them, it's been an FB upgrade in a very substantial way...exposure, attendance, tix sold/contrib. $. Obviously, the new admin coming in and making football a priority was key...more money for coaching, facilities etc, but the AAC has also elevated the program in a real way as well with double the media dollars (still paltry) and exponentially better exposure. Not to mention conference perception with multiple Access bowl teams, media coverage and narrative (referencing mass coverage not the P6 thing). That was something CUSA was never able to accomplish due in part to the Tigers poor performance. Sadly, the thing that helped them make the move (an effort to improve football) could have really helped both the school and CUSA back in the day. Just goes to show what a sports friendly admin can accomplish.

The bball point is also why I don't see those teams aligning solely based on geography. Several programs make money, good money, and won't throw basketball under the bus. If something happens to blow the G5 up, there's a likelihood that the higher budgeted schools with the biggest fan bases (most self generated $) would find a way to come to some sort of arrangement...which ultimately comes down to which set of schools can make the most $ vs. focusing solely on the reduction of cost side of the equation.

Having said all that I do think CUSA can improve. I think the AAC can too as well. it isn't mutually exclusive. The success of one isn't dependent on the failure of the other.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - BKTopper - 04-27-2018 09:44 AM

I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - Cyniclone - 04-27-2018 10:55 AM

(04-27-2018 09:44 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.

Even better than CUSA 1.0 with Louisville, Cincinnati and all that crew? I certainly hope that's the case but early CUSA was pretty damned great (he says begrudgingly as a VCU guy).

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - BKTopper - 04-27-2018 11:42 AM

(04-27-2018 10:55 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 09:44 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  I really think in all 3-4 iterations of this league that the next 5 seasons or so are going to be the best top-to-bottom in basketball production. Different than "Memphis and Co". The level of basketball cooperation and investment from all 14 members is unprecedented and I for one am totally psyched.

Even better than CUSA 1.0 with Louisville, Cincinnati and all that crew? I certainly hope that's the case but early CUSA was pretty damned great (he says begrudgingly as a VCU guy).

True maybe not quite there yet but I believe we will surpass that version in the next 5 years, NCAA and sports cartel be danged

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - billybobby777 - 04-27-2018 02:29 PM

(04-26-2018 11:13 PM)born in the burg Wrote:  Army was in the original 6. Houston came in year 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

Nope. Army was not in the original group.

CUSA formed in 1995. Army joined in 1998.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - MUther - 04-27-2018 04:52 PM

Football for CUSA didn't start till '96 so the 5 football playing members were the only ones: USM, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, Louisville. At least Southern Miss played all of them (only one I checked), but they weren't conference games, as USM was listed as independent till '96.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/1995/sm.shtml

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - USM@FTL - 04-28-2018 08:31 AM

I was there. There were 6 original football members in 1996. USM, Houston, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, and Tulane. Houston and USM were the first champions with Houston holding the tie-breaker. ECU came the next year, and it took a vote to kick out Louisville to get them in. Oh how the world would be so different if we had left Louisville on the curb.

Mike Slive built us well, then he left for much greener pastures.

In 1995, there was a Liberty Bowl alliance that included most of us.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - ghostofclt - 04-28-2018 08:42 AM

clt has a 99 cusa tourney champions shirt with that logo

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - tigerjeb - 04-28-2018 08:42 AM

the original six in the 1996 inaugural football season were:
[Image: gBLL6sp.jpg][Image: Txqiqpf.jpg]

in 1997, ECU joined in football only
[Image: yyGZ6nU.jpg]

in 1998, Army joined in football only
[Image: eSiveXU.jpg]

in 1999, UAB joined in all sports
[Image: CwezDeG.jpg]

in 2001 TCU joined in all sports and ECU added all sports
[Image: PwYHLuM.jpg]

USF joined for the 2003 season, TCU left before the 2004 season for the MWC & the Big East raid took UL, Cincy and USF in 2005

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - USM@FTL - 04-28-2018 09:05 AM

Excellent work Jeb!

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - Old Dominion - 04-28-2018 09:22 AM

Not sure where you see this. CUSA basketball is certainly Bipolar. The top half is very manic, the bottom half very depressed.

RE: Happy Birthday Conference USA - Kittonhead - 04-28-2018 10:33 AM

(04-27-2018 07:44 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Still glad to be here over MAC. While it sucked to see majority of our conference make a lateral move in football to the AAC, basketball wise they had to do it. CUSA is young again and things will improve. The important thing is to improve our basketball. Football is irrelevant until an expanded playoff down the road.

CUSA 3.0 is still maturing so the jury is still out.

All the new FBS programs started the decade, how that will impact recruiting the jury is still out on all that. You are seeing Georgia State now pulling even with GaSo for example. Has everyone been on board long enough to get into their 2nd coaching staff at the top level yet? Long enough to build up walk-on programs?

So far its been AAC x2, MAC x1, MWC x1 for the access bowl. AAC has the lead but not significant. There is still time for CUSA 3.0 to be a factor for the access bowl.