Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread
(11-07-2017 10:52 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I don't know...I just feel like everything is being over sold because of the brand of the game. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying the game...but I just don't see a 9-10 game here.

It's entertaining, but does not allow you to play the game without motion controls, which is really stupid considering the console itself is handheld, it doesn't look particularly breathtaking...for a Mario game it looks nice, but the worlds don't match up to what Horizon or Assassins Creed LOOK like. I mean, I think Horizon has the best world/map design in gaming IMO from a diversity of landscape, look, and feel, and Mario is nowhere close to that. To best describe it, I think the fact that there hasn't been a kingdom yet that I'm unhappy about leaving or that I really want to go back to says something. I have enjoyed every one of them, but I don't find myself really ever wanting to rehash them once I'm done.

The levels have variety, but they're not too especially large, and the enemies have no variance in how they're defeated; it's always some version of throw hat at enemies and jump on head OR throw hat at other enemy that can jump on the bigger enemy's head.

There is a lot to collect, but how many of these damn moons are just "walk to point and ground pound" or just "jump here...congrats!" And don't even get me started on the fact that you can only collect about 2/3rds of them without using motion controls, which I think is a crock anyways given my previous statement about how impossible it is to do that if you're playing the console as it was designed to be played.

I just do not see a 10 here...if it were some random start up without an iconic plumber helming it, it would be an 8-8.5...that's the honest to goodness truth. I enjoy this game quite a bit, but it is in no way better looking, more in-depth, or developed better than countless other games this year. It is a clear example of icon bias, and that's perfectly fine...I just think it's funny to see people (not any of you to be clear) trash other games for the exact same things that this one is doing, but they refuse to see anything wrong at all here.

As far as myself goes, I'm willing to go upper 8s low 9s. I found Galaxy, with the planets/moons and gravity aspect was way more revolutionary in terms of 3D Mario game play. But, in this game, the transformation mechanic is pretty ground breaking as far as what you can control and what those abilities can do for you. That said, I am totally with you on too many catch rabbit, talk to Peach, stomp the ground, ect... similarities in moon acquisition tactics.

Strong points of the game to me go:

Capture mechanic
Music
Graphics
Kingdom variety
Unlockables
Puzzle solving
Wedding Amiibo Line is SICK!
Post Game/ Post Post Game areas
2D Mario levels

Weak points:

Too many cheap moon earning tasks
Enemy count kind of low
Too many repetitive/similar tasks to do for moons
"Final Post Post Game" to dos.
Sometimes floaty controls in 2D levels.
11-07-2017 06:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: The Official Video Game Discussion Thread - PirateTreasureNC - 11-07-2017 06:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.