UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
RE: UConn doing all It can to avoid paying Kevin Ollie
(06-21-2018 11:22 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 11:12 AM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 10:56 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 08:12 PM)vick mike Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 08:02 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Ollie was responsible for coaching Calhoun's recruits to a National Championship, followed by the 2 worst seasons in the last 30 years of UCONN Basketball.

I suppose we just have higher standards than Temple. Stay in your lane, big guy.

He won a National Championship and you want to stiff him. Y’all have really gone small time.

Pretty amazing strategy. Get yourself in trouble to avoid payment especially when it seems pretty minor. Be glad they have already hired Hurley and hope he doesn't leave because this will be remembered in the coaching community for a while is the bigger issue.

Nah, in matters of contract disputes, minor violations are essentially the same as major ones (especially at a cash strapped university). Hurley had no worries coming in as he doesn't take shortcuts on the rules. Also, the coaching community will forget if Hurley starts winning at a high level and then decides to stick around for a long time. If we can get the men's program back to its former glory, keep the UConn women rolling and making the Final Four every year, and restore football to making annual bowl games, who knows where we could land in 2024. We could get the call up or maybe the AAC is making pretty good money by then and we don't need to worry about it. Either way, I expect that the AAC would get enough of a cash bump by then to let us retain Hurley if he is winning.

I don't think that UConn should totally stiff Ollie, but giving him the full $10mm would be 01-wingedeagle

If a basketball coach is good enough to get a job at UConn, he's probably in pretty high demand. I know this would be a redflag that I would add to the list against you. Doesn't pay their bills isn't a good one. If you are at all on the fence about UConn in the AAC this could really push you into waiting or taking another fairly comparable job instead in the P5.

You signed the contract, pay the man he's owed IMO, and if I'm Ollie I get myself a good lawyer. Don't think every other coach in other sports at UConn isn't seeing this as well.

Ollie's has lawyers that are already actively engaged in getting him his $10mm:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens...story.html

We all know that there will be a settlement between both parties (maybe for up to a max of $5mm I would guess). That said, why wouldn't a school use the exact terms of a contract to avoid shelling out the full $10mm if it could be legally justified to withhold that payment based on the contract terms?

I feel for Ollie as he is a UConn alumnus and it stinks to have to battle your own school, but that is the ugly world of college athletics in 2018. Don't blame UConn for withholding the $10mm; blame the so-called "P5" for creating a monopoly and hording every penny for themselves. If the "P5" conferences weren't stealing our lunch money, we would have the $10mm to pay the man.
06-21-2018 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UConn doing all It can to avoid paying Kevin Ollie - UConnHusky - 06-21-2018 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.