All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
Coaches worry it's too-Big East
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...28/rss0702

Coaches worry it's too-Big East
NCAA tourney snubs ignite the grumbling

By Brian Bennett

The Courier-Journal

NEW YORK -- University of Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino calls the Big East a corporation, not a conference, because of its massive size.

Some of the corporation's highest-profile CEOs are expressing major concerns about the future of the business.

NCAA Tournament representation and scheduling difficulties in the 16-team league dominated the agenda yesterday at Madison Square Garden, where coaches and players gathered for the annual Big East men's basketball media day. Those issues are reviving old questions about the feasibility of such a large conference.

"The thing that has prevented people from talking about a split is the success we've had in football," Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said. "All that talk has quieted down -- until you get to basketball season."

The current fretting began on Selection Sunday last March, when just six Big East teams earned bids to the NCAA Tournament. Syracuse was the most glaring omission, going 10-6 in conference play and 24-11 overall without an invitation. Coach Jim Boeheim told reporters that night that if a 10-6 Big East record wasn't worthy enough, "then I don't think we should be in the Big East."

West Virginia (9-7), DePaul (9-7) and Providence (8-8) also finished at least .500 in the league but settled for the National Invitation Tournament.

Commissioner Mike Tranghese kicked off media day by saying the Big East would have "a big problem" if such snubs happened again this season. Later he clarified that remark.

"This league is not going to break up over that issue because too many good things are happening," he said. "But I've got 16 coaches to represent, and I'm going to fight like hell for them. I'm not going to sit silent and let that occur."

Boeheim pointed out that only 37.5 percent of Big East teams made the NCAA Tournament last season, while the Atlantic Coast and Pacific-10 conferences sent more than half of their schools. He said the Big East gets looked at unfairly because of its size.

"In two or three years, if we're still getting 37 percent of our teams in the tournament, there's a problem," he said. "I don't know if (splitting up) is a concern; I just believe our league is better than six teams getting in. By a lot."

The issue is most important to the seven Big East schools that don't compete in major college football and depend on men's basketball as their lifeblood. Providence coach Tim Welsh said coaches from those schools "voiced their concerns (about tournament access) very strongly" at their summer meetings, and he said he plans to keep talking about it all season.

That wasn't the only hotly debated topic yesterday. Coaches also differed on the wisdom -- and fairness -- of the league's new 18-game schedule.

U of L must face top contenders Georgetown and Marquette twice, and its single games against strong clubs Connecticut, Pittsburgh and Providence all are on the road.

Pitino has been critical of the schedule and used sarcasm to drive home his point.

"It's one of my fondest memories of this league," he said. "They just threw me into the East River, where I'm floating with a lot of my Italian friends, with the way the schedule is made. (Tranghese) believes in taking care of the Catholics and said since there's no 'Saint' in front of Louisville, we've got to live with it."

Tranghese said Pitino has written him twice to complain and has done so often in person. He said he has reviewed the scheduling process and has shared some of his plans for change privately with the U of L coach.

Others aren't so sure that adding two more regular-season Big East games will help the league get more teams into the NCAA Tournament. Calhoun said those games guarantee 16 more losses for conference teams that might be better off fattening up their resumes elsewhere. It also will affect nonconference scheduling, he said.

"This year we're playing Georgia Tech, Indiana, Gonzaga and probably Memphis and Kentucky," he said. "Am I going to do that next year? I'm going to have to reconsider, only because of the 18 games."

Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon and Marquette's Tom Crean wondered if it's smart to play 18 league games when conferences such as the Southeastern, Big 12 and ACC play only 16.

"When it was presented to us, we were much more apt to see it as us following what other power conferences were going to do," Crean said.

Pitino said he thinks the concerns will recede this season because the Big East is "the deepest I've seen it in some time." He predicted a large number of NCAA bids come March.

But, he added, "If we go through another Syracuse debacle, then changes have to occur. If (the selection committee) leaves one or two out, we probably have the wrong formula."

He suggested switching to a divisional format or going back to 16 league games as possible solutions.

The Big East couldn't be healthier in revenue and exposure. League teams will play on national TV more times than ever and more than any other conference this season.

"The TV money and all the other things that come with it overcome Coach Boeheim losing sleep," Dixon said.
10-25-2007 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Coaches worry it's too-Big East
03-shhhh The reason to split spin is starting! 04-cheers

Split and add Memphis and we will have fixed the football scheduling problem and added one major basketball program! The resulting basketball conference will get 4 to 6 bids each year and only have to split the money 9 ways instead of 16 ways! This is a no brain-er! 05-stirthepot
10-25-2007 10:57 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
If something like Syracuse happen again, this needs to break ASAP. There is no way BE teams should have been snubbed for those overrated ACC schools that got their butts kicked in during the last NCAA tournament.

BE coaches need to complain loud and clearly on TV every single chance they get. They need to use the ACC method to spread propaganda before this year's NCAA selection. BE should get at minimal 7-8 teams into the tournament every single year.
10-25-2007 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I do not care what conference it is, the NCAA will not give you more than 5 or 6 bids, so splitting the money 16 ways instead of 9, 10 or 12, is well plain stupid! 04-cheers
10-25-2007 11:04 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Hoquista Wrote:"It's one of my fondest memories of this league," he said. "They just threw me into the East River, where I'm floating with a lot of my Italian friends, with the way the schedule is made. (Tranghese) believes in taking care of the Catholics and said since there's no 'Saint' in front of Louisville, we've got to live with it."

Ouch!!!

Now that is a DIRECT SHOT!

PS. Everyone knows why 'Cuse didn't get a bid last year.

Cuse's never had to leave the state for any non-conf games (2 short bus trips...once to Buffalo to play lowly Canisius...and another to MSG in a good game vs Okie State), and their first FLIGHT for a road game was a conf game at Marquette in January.

Most Big East Teams had better non-conf schedules when compared to Cuse.
10-25-2007 11:16 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I'm willing to put money down that they flew to NYC. Otherwise that is a hell of a drive.
10-25-2007 11:19 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Syracuse to NYC is about 4.5 hours. Ironically you cut through PA and NJ to get there the fastest way.
10-25-2007 11:27 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Syracuse's article

Boeheim Questions League Size
10-25-2007 11:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
KnightLight Wrote:
Hoquista Wrote:"It's one of my fondest memories of this league," he said. "They just threw me into the East River, where I'm floating with a lot of my Italian friends, with the way the schedule is made. (Tranghese) believes in taking care of the Catholics and said since there's no 'Saint' in front of Louisville, we've got to live with it."

Ouch!!!

Now that is a DIRECT SHOT!

PS. Everyone knows why 'Cuse didn't get a bid last year.

Cuse's never had to leave the state for any non-conf games (2 short bus trips...once to Buffalo to play lowly Canisius...and another to MSG in a good game vs Okie State), and their first FLIGHT for a road game was a conf game at Marquette in January.

Most Big East Teams had better non-conf schedules when compared to Cuse.

You forgot about one key factor. The BE did not have a rep on the selection committee. The acc had their feelings hurt by only getting 4 teams in the year beore and Littlejohn of the acc set out to make a point by getting as many acc schools in as undeservedly possible. They made a point allright. More than half of the acc schools were out by the first weekend. And only one was left by the next round. Thats all to it.
Syracuse ooc schedule was no worse than in previous years and the BE conference record was similar. Why was it all of a sudden a problem last year.
Now that the BE has someone on the committee for the next few years, hopefully such a travesty will be avoided.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2007 11:37 AM by cuseroc.)
10-25-2007 11:32 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote: "I hate having to defend Syracuse, I really hate having to defend Syracuse," Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said with a smile, "but it was done completely because (the NCAA committee) didn't feel they should take someone else from our league. That's wrong."

Cuse fans better never say anything bad about Calhoun again. 04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers
10-25-2007 11:52 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Very interesting that even Providence coach Tim Welsh chimed in about the league’s size. And, really, the writer hit it on the head that the lack of bids is probably a bigger problem for the b-ball only’s, as, in relative terms, it’s a much bigger opportunity for revenue out the door for them. It’s kind of telling that many football and basketball school coaches are on the same page concerning this issue.

It’s times like this I wish Tigershark was still around. This is the most significant evidence I’ve seen concerning the unrest.
10-25-2007 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

mlb Wrote:I'm willing to put money down that they flew to NYC. Otherwise that is a hell of a drive.

brista21 Wrote:Syracuse to NYC is about 4.5 hours. Ironically you cut through PA and NJ to get there the fastest way.

Yup, I made the trip a lot this summer on the way to my girlfriend's in Rochester. It's also about the same distance to Philly (as I made that trip to and from school for four years).

At least Syracuse is getting some credit here. Sure they learned their lesson about the easy scheduling at the beginning of the season, but a lot of that is to pad the resume BECAUSE of the tough conference schedule. Even with that easy start, there's NO way 'Cuse shouldn't have made the tournament last year.
10-25-2007 12:01 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

BJUnklFkr Wrote:Very interesting that even Providence coach Tim Welsh chimed in about the league’s size. And, really, the writer hit it on the head that the lack of bids is probably a bigger problem for the b-ball only’s, as, in relative terms, it’s a much bigger opportunity for revenue out the door for them. It’s kind of telling that many football and basketball school coaches are on the same page concerning this issue.

It’s times like this I wish Tigershark was still around. This is the most significant evidence I’ve seen concerning the unrest.

The split has always been planned for 2010!04-cheers
10-25-2007 12:06 PM
TegaCayCard Offline
Water Engineer

Well this could really be good news...an amicable split which would benefit all parties.

1) The confederation idea (two conferences under a BE umbrella) was nixed by the NCAA. They would only consider it one comnference.
2) You could still be two conferences but a step away from the confederation.
3) You get buy-in from all the schools and you continue to have good working relationships with the conference officials.
4) An ESPN BE / EAC challenge?
5) I am sure SU, UConn, etc. do not want to lose the relationship with the NE basketball onlies so a nice working relationship could really enhance each others' schedules.
6) Rotate MSG each year with Brooklyn arena, Wachovia, etc.

None of these are thoughts that have not already been expressed before on this board. It is just really significant the MT and the basketball schools are worried about themselves in this arrangement. Hell, even a decent 13th BE team can't even go to MSG for the tourney now.

I am cautiously optimistic about what this could bring in the future:
1) a powerful 9-10 team BE football conference
2) a powerful 9-10 team basketball / other conference
3) good working relationships with the basketball schools used to enhance schedules in the future
4) continued high visibility on ESPN for all
10-25-2007 01:02 PM
TegaCayCard Offline
Water Engineer

Also, would hate to lose this link, but OrangeEyes on the Syracuse board updates links every day regarding BE Hoops and Football. Here is his hoops link today with many many articles on this issue from different perspectives...

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=185#s=...&t=1286005
10-25-2007 01:07 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Split now. I would like to see UCONN continue to play St. Johns, Georgetown, Nova and Providence. Not a problem at all for basketball but it is time to split. I am sure all the FB schools can get a great ESPN BB contract on our own and only split 9 ways.
10-25-2007 01:08 PM
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
I just think we'd be foolish to cut adrift national programs like Georgtown, Villanova, etc, plus the NYC market. Maybe the solution is to go to 12 - keep G'town, Nova, St. John's and Seton Hall.

I suppose that's unlikely, though. I guess we'll see what happens.
10-25-2007 01:14 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

Split or stay together. It's obvious that conference alignments are clearly determined by athletics and and not by academics. Unless after the split syracuse can says they were a better academic fit with the FB schools or is that crappy line copyrighted by BC's administration?
10-25-2007 01:19 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
wvucrazed Wrote:I just think we'd be foolish to cut adrift national programs like Georgtown, Villanova, etc, plus the NYC market. Maybe the solution is to go to 12 - keep G'town, Nova, St. John's and Seton Hall.

I'd rather have Marquette or DePaul over Seton Hall.
10-25-2007 01:27 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
MichaelSavage Wrote:
wvucrazed Wrote:I just think we'd be foolish to cut adrift national programs like Georgtown, Villanova, etc, plus the NYC market. Maybe the solution is to go to 12 - keep G'town, Nova, St. John's and Seton Hall.

I'd rather have Marquette or DePaul over Seton Hall.

If we ever were to form some sort of 12 team hybrid I'm not sure Marquette or DePaul would be likely candidates for inclusion. Despite Marquette's above average basketball and DePaul's Chicago market, we would be limited to 3 or 4 non-football's, depending on whether we added a 9th for football. At that point we have more geographically compact members that also bring big markets and in some cases quality basketball. My personal thought would be that Georgetown and Villanova would be included. After that someone from the NY metro or ND would be a likely 3rd.
10-25-2007 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.