Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ACC better in hoops too
soxfan1011 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Just like the ACC proved in football this past year they have also proved in the NCAA basketball tourney. The ACC is obviously superior to the BE in football and basketball!
03-21-2005 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

soxfan1011 Wrote:Just like the ACC proved in football this past year they have also proved in the NCAA basketball tourney. The ACC is obviously superior to the BE in football and basketball!
What's your point? :rolleyes:
03-21-2005 12:32 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

In the last 10 years the Big East has just as many NCAA basketball titles as the ACC... sounds like the ACC is head and shoulders above the BE to me :)
03-21-2005 12:39 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

His point is he is a BC fan--he can't brag about his BC team since they collapsed so he'll jump on the ACC bandwagon.

Hey how come you didn't come back after BC lost at MSG in their first game? Chicken? :crying:
03-21-2005 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I don't know, I see 3 Big East teams in the Sweet 16 and 3 ACC teams. I know we had our easiest game in 2 months against ACC runner up Georgia Tech yesterday.
03-21-2005 12:45 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

L-yes Wrote:I don't know, I see 3 Big East teams in the Sweet 16 and 3 ACC teams. I know we had our easiest game in 2 months against ACC runner up Georgia Tech yesterday.
I just wish my Orange didn't puke over themselves--UConn can say the same thing.

:crying: :crying: :crying:
03-21-2005 12:55 PM
Advertisement

Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

TexanMark Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:I don't know, I see 3 Big East teams in the Sweet 16 and 3 ACC teams.  I know we had our easiest game in 2 months against ACC runner up Georgia Tech yesterday.
I just wish my Orange didn't puke over themselves--UConn can say the same thing.

:crying: :crying: :crying:
Dude, it's football season...in 6 months. :D
03-21-2005 12:57 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

soxfan1011 Wrote:Just like the ACC proved in football this past year they have also proved in the NCAA basketball tourney. The ACC is obviously superior to the BE in football and basketball!
Really, the only top vs. top win for the ACC is UNC over UConn. The Big East has several bottom (Providence, SJU) vs. middle (Va Tech, NC St) victories.

I'd say the Wake-WV and NCST-UConn games cancel each other out.

With that, the Big East is still ahead head-to-head despite the ACC teams on average, ranking higher in their respective conference standings in those matchups.
03-21-2005 01:03 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Soxfan...here is some stats I picked up from another board you may find interesting...by the way....I was overjoyed that it BCs last BE memory is being up set by little ole West Virginia in the conference tourney

Jackson

Quote:The ACC is definitely superior to the Big East as far as basketball this year right? Try this quiz...

Questions:
1. Since 1984, when Georgetown won the Big East's first National Championship, how many championships has the ACC won? How about the Big East?

2. A) How many different ACC schools have won a National Championship since 1984? B) How many Big East schools have won a National Championship since 1984?

3. Which conference has won 3 of the last six national championships?

4. What was Miami's conference record in the Big East the last 2 years? What was their record against the ACC this year?

5. Recent history question: Which conference leads the nation in winning percentage in NCAA tournament basketball games over the last 2 years?

Can someone help me understand this... 2 teams go 11-5 in their conference schedule. Both of these teams go on to win their conference championship. One team is awarded a #1 seed. The other team is awarded the #4 seed. The team that got the #4 seed was from a conference that had more invites to the tourney. Wouldn't that be seen as a tougher conference schedule if they had to play more tournament-caliber teams?

ACC
NCAA tourney seed vs. conference record
1 UNC 14-2
1 Dook 11-5
2 Wake Forest 13-3
5 GT 8-8
10 NC St. 7-9

Big East
2 UCONN 13-3
4 SU 11-5
4 BC 13-3
5 Villanova 11-5
7 West Va 8-8
9 Pitt 10-6

Since the Big East had more invites to the NCAA tournament, wouldn't the conference be seen as more competitive? If so, why did they receive poorer seedings across the board?

A: The committee members are biased by the non-factual, shoddy journalism of ESPN that falsely leads people to believe that the ACC is somehow a far superior basketball conference than the Big East. The data does not support the claim. It is not true, was not true, and with Louisville, Marquette, and Memphis it will be even less true.

The ACC is a top heavy basketball conference with a few good schools. Overall, the conference (from top to bottom) is a much weaker conference than the big east, and it has been for years. Miami and Virginia Tech water it down even more. BC further waters down the conference.

Answers:
1. Since 1984 both basketball conferences have won 5.

2. A) 3- Duke (3), UNC (1), and Maryland (1) B) 4-Georgetown (84), Villanova (85), UConn (99,04), Syracuse (03)

3. Big East with 3 UConn (1999, 2004), Syracuse (2003)- ACC with 2 Dook and Maryland

4. Miami 2004: 4-12; 2003: 4-12; in the weaker ACC 05: 7-9 Virginia Tech's record also improved by going to the ACC. VT’s record improved even after losing the Big East’s top scorer from the year before (Bryant Matthews-23 ppg/10 reb), and they improvd to 4th in the ACC. Hell, they even beat Dook.

5. The Big East is #1 (24-8 .750). The ACC is 3rd overall (19-9 .679). The Big East has placed 7 teams into the regional semis over the last 2 years. The ACC has only placed 5 teams in the regional semis.

An interesting tidbit... in the 26 years of the Big East, the conference is 5-5 in the title game; 3 of those losses were by 1 point each!
03-21-2005 01:49 PM
Pressed_For_Success Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

New Big East 3 schools left in Louisville, West Virginia and Villanova.

New ACC 3 schools left in North Carolina, Duke and NC State.

BTW we just beat a ACC school by 22 points and it wasn't that close.
03-21-2005 02:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Murph1 Wrote:
Really, the only top vs. top win for the ACC is UNC over UConn. The Big East has several bottom (Providence, SJU) vs. middle (Va Tech, NC St) victories.

I'd say the Wake-WV and NCST-UConn games cancel each other out.

With that, the Big East is still ahead head-to-head despite the ACC teams on average, ranking higher in their respective conference standings in those matchups.
Actually 5 months and 12 days but whose counting? 04-cheers
03-21-2005 02:25 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

You are a loser. ACC got all the top seeds and they played mostly weaker opponents. I will admit UCONN choked against NCST, but it hardly says the ACC is better. We all have said ACC has better top teams this year, but the whole conference is not that good. Are you gonna try to tell me NCST is better team than UCONN? If we play a 10 game series, how many times NCST will win?

I am sure Nova, UL and WVU will have something to say about the national championship before the media just hand the trophy to ACC on the air.
03-21-2005 03:58 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Very well made point, Sox. Have an Old Milwaukee 04-cheers

Oh... wait... BC ALREADY HAD ENOUGH OLD MILWAUKEE, DIDN'T THEY? 03-razz
03-21-2005 04:33 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Maize Wrote:New Big East 3 schools left in Louisville, West Virginia and Villanova.

New ACC 3 schools left in North Carolina, Duke and NC State.

BTW we just beat a ACC school by 22 points and it wasn't that close.
04-cheers 04-cheers 04-cheers
03-21-2005 07:16 PM
dlb1946 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Man what is this guy smoking. The big East is far better then the ACC top to bottom. Most national talking heads think so and most major newspaper writers.
03-21-2005 08:27 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

I hope we are talking about the entire conference from top to bottom. ACC is top heavy and it always has been, it does not mean it is the better conference.

It is like declaring mountain west is the best because they had an UNLV team that dominated the conference and the country with that paid pro team.

In the BE, there is hardly any blowout night in and night out. Teams from top to bottom are all pretty damn good even though there was no dominate team this year. UCONN is way too young this year.
03-21-2005 10:13 PM
Advertisement

soxfan1011 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Next thing you know, people will try to say the BE is better than the ACC in football too. lol.
03-24-2005 09:40 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

soxfan1011 Wrote:Next thing you know, people will try to say the BE is better than the ACC in football too. lol.
Well, even with VT and Miami the ACC is still probably 5th best football conference.
03-24-2005 09:47 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

soxfan1011 Wrote:Next thing you know, people will try to say the BE is better than the ACC in football too. lol.
True statement we just got rid of our biggest choker--->BC
03-24-2005 10:55 AM
soxfan1011 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Does anybody seriously believe that the BE is going to be better than the ACC in football?
03-24-2005 02:29 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.