Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We are playing Carden in garbage time because our backup is redshirting
Bookmark and Share
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
We are playing Carden in garbage time because our backup is redshirting
Our original backup is out for the season with an arm injury so our 3rd string true freshman who is redshirting is now the backup.

Sorry for the random thread, but I figured this was the easiest way to make it clear to the inevitable poster or 2 each week that accuses ECU of running up the score because we leave Carden in. If this doesn't apply to you please ignore and carry on. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 12:50 AM by TheEastisPurple.)
11-25-2013 12:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
RE: We are playing Carden in garbage time because our backup is redshirting
I don't know. Justin Hardy looks pretty good throwing the ball. 4th quarter, put Hardy at QB and Carden at WR, then the redshirt stays redshirted and if we continue to score after the switch.......well............so be it.
11-25-2013 01:13 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
It's an in-state BCS Conference team. Run it up. No one here feels sorry for them.
11-25-2013 02:38 AM
Greg H Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd
(11-25-2013 12:50 AM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  Our original backup is out for the season with an arm injury so our 3rd string true freshman who is redshirting is now the backup.

Sorry for the random thread, but I figured this was the easiest way to make it clear to the inevitable poster or 2 each week that accuses ECU of running up the score because we leave Carden in. If this doesn't apply to you please ignore and carry on. 04-cheers

I know you've officially gotten away with it...but was it really worth it to play Carden in cleanup time just to save that redshirt? Hell, an RB could just hand it off to make sure Carden didn't get hurt. All I know is I would have gotten Carden out whenever I could at just about any cost.
11-25-2013 07:28 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(11-25-2013 07:28 AM)Greg H Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 12:50 AM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  Our original backup is out for the season with an arm injury so our 3rd string true freshman who is redshirting is now the backup.

I know you've officially gotten away with it...but was it really worth it to play Carden in cleanup time just to save that redshirt? Hell, an RB could just hand it off to make sure Carden didn't get hurt. All I know is I would have gotten Carden out whenever I could at just about any cost.

We have a strong OLine this year so Lincoln Riley and Coach Ruff feel very comfortable with lining up Carden in the Shotgun with a 1 or 2 RB set and letting him hand the ball to them. It is a pretty safe exchange in mop up duty time even if the Defense is blitzing. Carden has been given strict instructions during this time not to get cute and luckily nothing freakish has happened.
11-25-2013 07:35 AM
Greg H Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd
(11-25-2013 07:35 AM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 07:28 AM)Greg H Wrote:  

We have a strong OLine this year so Lincoln Riley and Coach Ruff feel very comfortable with lining up Carden in the Shotgun with a 1 or 2 RB set and letting him hand the ball to them. It is a pretty safe exchange in mop up duty time even if the Defense is blitzing. Carden has been given strict instructions during this time not to get cute and luckily nothing freakish has happened.

Well, I'm glad he didn't get hurt. I would hate to have played some true freshman this Friday. Obviously it would have made it more possible for the Herd to win, but it would not be the same.
11-25-2013 07:38 AM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2013 02:38 AM)Luckyshot Wrote:  It's an in-state BCS Conference team. Run it up. No one here feels sorry for them.

When we went up 35-7, Coach Ruff did the right thing of pulling a lot of starters and resting them for the much more important Marshall game on Friday. He also knows how important the NCST series is to our fans and if we hung 60pts on NCST, which we probably could have done, they would have probably come up with a convenient excuse to cancel the series. As it is they salvaged a little pride scoring 21pts in the 4th quarter against our 2nd string and are probably looking forward to a shot at revenge at ECU in 3yrs. I would have loved to seen at 49-7 or 56-7 Final score and have little doubt with all of our starters on the field we could have done it but anybody who sat there and watched the game, knows our starters absolutely manhandled the NCST starters the whole time they were in the game.
11-25-2013 07:39 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-25-2013 02:38 AM)Luckyshot Wrote:  It's an in-state BCS Conference team. Run it up. No one here feels sorry for them.

They did the same thing to UAB.

Hell, as thin as UAB is, we've got a walk-on we could run out there if push came to shove. I find it hard to believe ECU has exactly one available quarterback.
11-25-2013 07:42 AM
ECUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think ECU had a QB with the number 13 handing it off for runs in last few series at NCSU?
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 08:18 AM by ECUgradstudent.)
11-25-2013 08:17 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Run it up....
11-25-2013 08:41 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(11-25-2013 07:42 AM)Smaug Wrote:  

Hell, as thin as UAB is, we've got a walk-on we could run out there if push came to shove. I find it hard to believe ECU has exactly one available quarterback.
We have one qb who is a freshman, a true freshman waiting in the wings. They really do not want to pull his red shirt. Our normal back up had surgery a few weeks ago.

We do have a guy who is on the scout team, who has gotten a little bit of playing time. Having written this however, I have no problem putting the scout team guy in to do clean up. Part of the problem however, is that the O in a Air Raid system is about timing patterns and doing the same thing over and over again. Keeping Carden in for the sake of maintaining a rhythm makes sense on one hand, however, at some point we run the risk of injuring him.
11-25-2013 08:47 AM
Advertisement

r2pirate Offline
1st String

(11-25-2013 01:13 AM)ECUPirated Wrote:  I don't know. Justin Hardy looks pretty good throwing the ball. 4th quarter, put Hardy at QB and Carden at WR, then the redshirt stays redshirted and if we continue to score after the switch.......well............so be it.

I was told by insiders that V. Cooper, rb (former jr. college qb) was be the emergency qb if one is needed. Cooper has done some "willd kat" this year.
11-25-2013 08:56 AM
Dorrej Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
I can't believe you ECU fans are still tryin to pass this lame excuse. The redshirt for your true freshman is nothing... Carden is going to start next year so if the redshirt is lost this season it can be used next.
11-25-2013 09:25 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Why only 2 QBs on the roster?
11-25-2013 09:25 AM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-25-2013 09:25 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Why only 2 QBs on the roster?

There aren't only 2 QBs on the roster.

SMDH.

Shane is our #1.

Cody Keith was our #2. But he reinjured a elbow problem. http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/3872...-qb-keith/

Kurt Benkert is the redshirt we are referring to.

There is also B.J. Beecher, a preferred walk-on true freshman, who doesn't even have a picture on our website.

And Jonathon Weymann....who I don't know anything about.

I think it is more about the coaches only would TRUST Benkert to run our offense.
11-25-2013 09:32 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't think we should have to explain this to anyone. Fans of opposing teams who have lost to us will think what they're going to think, regardless of what we say. Win and move on.

Time for Marshall.
11-25-2013 09:35 AM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

(11-25-2013 09:25 AM)Dorrej Wrote:  I can't believe you ECU fans are still tryin to pass this lame excuse. The redshirt for your true freshman is nothing... Carden is going to start next year so if the redshirt is lost this season it can be used next.

LR has a qb system that he learned while at Texas Tech. They like for qb's to stick to the system of red shirt freshman year and then get into a rotation for reps and experience. This system worked for Texas Tech when Mike Leach was there, as typically most qb's there only had one year to play, their Senior year, but put up big numbers because of the system and way the program treats qb's. Look, I am not saying this is the best way to do things, it simply is the way our O coordinator Lincoln Riley likes to do.

Looking forward to watching the game on Friday as I think it will be close like they have been in the past few years. I am sure that the coaching staff and players are not taking this game lightly.
11-25-2013 09:37 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2013 09:25 AM)Dorrej Wrote:  I can't believe you ECU fans are still tryin to pass this lame excuse. The redshirt for your true freshman is nothing... Carden is going to start next year so if the redshirt is lost this season it can be used next.

Honestly I think it is more because they actually see Benkert, our current back-up who is redshirting, as the future QB of this program and he may actually be the number 2 guy next season….No need to waste a year of eligibility for mop-up duty in the last 4 games of the season. Either way you look at it he would be losing half a year of true playing and practice time with the 1st and second team offense if we pulled the redshirt now. It makes no sense to pull it at this point…Yes Shane has stayed late in games but mostly to hand off with an occasional quick toss here or there. It is not like they have him running the read option and taking hits. So there has been no real chance of injury….So relax. Sure could something freak happen? Yes, but that could happen at any point on or off the football field.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 10:29 AM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
11-25-2013 10:27 AM
airbornepirate Offline
2nd String

ECU coaches should definitely take advice from UAB....

11-25-2013 11:22 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-25-2013 11:22 AM)airbornepirate Wrote:  ECU coaches should definitely take advice from UAB....

Circle the part where I offered any advice to your coaches.
11-25-2013 11:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.