Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Reasonable New Conference For a P6
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
A Reasonable New Conference For a P6
I think most folks know I'm not a huge proponent of a total P5 split from the other schools. I really think a new super division should include about 80-90 FB schools. So my thought is a hybrid conference below. Yeah we heard it before but it needs to happen. Yeah the top 65 schools are all chummy now...but what is to stop the top 24 schools to breakaway from the P5 if TV $$$ makes it posible? I actually enjoy variety but having 350 schools in Div 1 for Hoops is a farce. Go to about 90 all sport schools and add the Big East/A-10 and maybe the West Coast Conference with the Zags in hoops and other sports. The rest can play in a new 1AA.

UConn
Cincy
ECU (edit...added late as I forgot to include them)
Memphis (edit...added late as I forgot to include them)
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU
Wild Cards: Villanova/Temple/Louisiana/USM/UTEP/UTSA/UNLV/New Mexico/Colorado St.

The Military Academies could also be FB only. You could actually break into two 10 or 12 team conferences...to have a P7.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 08:41 AM by TexanMark.)
05-15-2014 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: A Reasonable New Conference For a P6
Let the trolling begin!
05-15-2014 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-15-2014 10:58 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  I think most folks know I'm not a huge proponent of a total P5 split from the other schools. I really think a new super division should include about 80-90 FB schools. So my thought is a hybrid conference below. Yeah we heard it before but it needs to happen. Yeah the top 65 schools are all chummy now...but what is to stop the top 24 schools to breakaway from the P5 if TV $$$ makes it posible? I actually enjoy variety but having 350 schools in Div 1 for Hoops is a farce. Go to about 90 all sport schools and add the Big East/A-10 and maybe the West Coast Conference with the Zags in hoops and other sports. The rest can play in a new 1AA.

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU
15th + 16th Wild Card: Villanova/Temple/Louisiana/USM/UTSA/UNLV/New Mexico/Colorado St.

The Military Academies could also be FB only. You could actually break into two 10 or 12 team conferences...to have a P7.

I have been a proponent of this as well. I know some people won't like to hear this, but there is a significant difference between schools like UConn/Cincinnati and schools like Idaho/Western Kentucky.

The only thing I might change would be moving those schools geographically into the existing P5 conferences. This sixth conference as you have it listed would never have a competitive television contract with the other five conferences and as it stands today are shut out of the best bowl games.
05-15-2014 11:06 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:04 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Let the trolling begin!

Are you saying I'm trolling?
05-15-2014 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Syracuse fans are one of maybe five or six P5 fanbases that actually don't go out of their way to burn Tulane to the ground.

I have a question, however:

Why Tulane over Tulsa and Temple? All three have similar athletic budgets. All three are in metropolitan areas. All three have been in the top flight for a long time.

If you can make a case for one, then you're kind of making a case for all three.

...as a matter of fact, you're also making a case for Rice as well. They have a similar 2013/2014 budget to Tulane, Tulsa, and Temple.

Those four are in a group of school that sit right in the low-mid 80s in terms of relative budget size.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:11 AM by oliveandblue.)
05-15-2014 11:09 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:06 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 10:58 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  I think most folks know I'm not a huge proponent of a total P5 split from the other schools. I really think a new super division should include about 80-90 FB schools. So my thought is a hybrid conference below. Yeah we heard it before but it needs to happen. Yeah the top 65 schools are all chummy now...but what is to stop the top 24 schools to breakaway from the P5 if TV $$$ makes it posible? I actually enjoy variety but having 350 schools in Div 1 for Hoops is a farce. Go to about 90 all sport schools and add the Big East/A-10 and maybe the West Coast Conference with the Zags in hoops and other sports. The rest can play in a new 1AA.

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU
15th + 16th Wild Card: Villanova/Temple/Louisiana/USM/UTSA/UNLV/New Mexico/Colorado St.

I have been a proponent of this as well. I know some people won't like to hear this, but there is a significant difference between schools like UConn/Cincinnati and schools like Idaho/Western Kentucky.

The only thing I might change would be moving those schools geographically into the existing P5 conferences. This sixth conference as you have it listed would never have a competitive television contract with the other five conferences and as it stands today are shut out of the best bowl games.

You gotta have a start somewhere. Moving teams around is only possible if we went with a true NFL Model...I don't see if happening. And Yes, Cincy belongs in either the ACC, SEC or B1G. I think Cincy would really really flourish in the ACC.
05-15-2014 11:10 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:09 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Syracuse fans are one of maybe five or six P5 fanbases that actually don't go out of their way to burn Tulane to the ground.

I have a question, however:

Why Tulane over Tulsa and Temple? All three have similar athletic budgets. All three are in metropolitan areas. All three have been in the top flight for a long time.

If you can make a case for one, then you're kind of making a case for all three.

A nod to history there. I think your new stadium will usher in a good era for you guys. NOLA is also rich in recruits. Nova or Temple could cover Philly. Tulsa could be thrown in the wild card pool. Rice has no fanbase right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:16 AM by TexanMark.)
05-15-2014 11:13 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
For the next 6 years or so, a P6 will not form. What we're really talking about here is to elevate the AAC into a P6 conference. Outside of the AAC, the only two schools that I think would make sense in the OP is BYU and Airforce. Army has shown that it cannot compete and Boise may not have staying power either. The rest don't really do much for anyone to be thought of as a "BCS Buster" if we still had the old model. Realistically though, the market has already spoken about it and the likelihood of the AAC being elevated is not likely in the short term. Maybe after the end of the contracts for the new system, the AAC will force their way in. Objectively speaking, I doubt they will. It's based on 1) TV ratings, 2) Academic profile and 3) football cache/history/potential. Without all 3, I don't see it happening.
05-15-2014 11:14 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(05-15-2014 11:07 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Not you at all. I think this will bring out certain other troll-worthy posters.
05-15-2014 11:16 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:16 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 11:07 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Not you at all. I think this will bring out certain other troll-worthy posters.

Gotcha...and we all know it will happen 03-lmfao
05-15-2014 11:18 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU

What a terrible idea!
05-15-2014 11:19 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:19 AM)XLance Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU

What a terrible idea!

So are you happy at 65 or just the concept of a "Frankenstein" Conference for the 6th Power Conference?
05-15-2014 11:20 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-15-2014 11:20 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU

What a terrible idea!

So are you happy at 65 or just the concept of a "Frankenstein" Conference for the 6th Power Conference?

65 is the MAX.
That will give you 4 X 16, plus ND if they choose to stay semi-independent. Any more than that and the product gets too diluted.
05-15-2014 11:24 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
air force is not joining without CSU, CSU is not joining without wyoming. and none of those 3 schools would be thrilled with leaving new mexico behind. BYU would rather die as an independent than join a conference that is considered inferior to the current conference utah is in.
05-15-2014 11:29 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(05-15-2014 11:24 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 11:20 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU

What a terrible idea!

65 is the MAX.
That will give you 4 X 16, plus ND if they choose to stay semi-independent. Any more than that and the product gets too diluted.

If you're so worried about dilution, the number should probably be around 48-55.
05-15-2014 11:29 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-15-2014 11:29 AM)john01992 Wrote:  air force is not joining without CSU, CSU is not joining without wyoming. and none of those 3 schools would be thrilled with leaving new mexico behind. BYU would rather die as an independent than join a conference that is considered inferior to the current conference utah is in.

Don't think so...you ever play musical chairs?
05-15-2014 11:30 AM
Advertisement

BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
(05-15-2014 11:14 AM)miko33 Wrote:  Boise may not have staying power either.

We might not have staying power but BYU - a program whose glory years officially ended 14 years ago when LaVell Edwards retired - does?
05-15-2014 11:31 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-15-2014 11:06 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Boise St
BYU
USAFA
West Point
Navy
Fresno St
SDSU

I'd like to see this happen. If nothing else, this conference would be a lock to get the Access Bowl slot every year (and should command at least $4 million/year for TV rights - maybe more if there are also some basketball-only teams to boost that side of it?)
05-15-2014 11:43 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
If the AAC wants to become the "P6" then its all about money. Sell out your games, get eyeballs on the set watching and brings tons of fans to any bowl games.

The networks and bowls only care about money and the color green so they are fair like that. If the AAC starts producing them Power Conference level money then they will give you a seat at the Power Conference table.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 11:50 AM by 10thMountain.)
05-15-2014 11:49 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
When the 6 BCS conferences morphed into the P5, the term G5 (or Go5) emerged to include all other FBS schools. I've always looked at the "new" FBS as having three tiers, not two.

In my mind, the G5 is really the G2+ (the AAC, MWC and indies BYU, Army and Navy). I don't have a name for everybody else, but they are a step below in my book. What you have done is essentially merged the G2+ with the P5 to form a smaller DI. I wouldn't have a problem with that, except that you can't arbitrarily relegate schools to a lower division except by failure to meet some objective criteria that all the higher division schools already meet.

There are always going to be some schools in the highest division some would not want to see there, because those schools choose to be there even though they know they can't be competitive there. I've given up hope that we could ever create ideal divisions. All we can do is try for the "least bad" option.
05-15-2014 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.