[Image: gun-homicides1.png&w=1484]
06-18-2015 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: Looking for serious answers RE Gun Deaths
If I'm not mistaken, the numbers have been plummeting in recent decades.
06-18-2015 04:04 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Fuel To The Fire
06-18-2015 04:08 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
I don't think we do. Guns are simply a part of our culture. It is easier to kill someone with a gun so when an assault might be the result of an altercation in countries were guns aren't a part of their culture, here somebody often gets killed.
06-18-2015 04:11 PM
ericsrevenge76 Online
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(06-18-2015 04:11 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  I don't think we do. Guns are simply a part of our culture. It is easier to kill someone with a gun so when an assault might be the result of an altercation in countries were guns aren't a part of their culture, here somebody often gets killed.

Agreed. Many in Africa are murdered with machetes or blades.
06-18-2015 04:15 PM
hoopfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: hoops
another misleading chart.

how about all nations? or unwealthy nations? or any weapon used to kill fellow citizens?
06-18-2015 04:20 PM
Advertisement

hoopfan Offline
1st String

also...the chart shows a 3 to just less than 1 ratio. it looks more dramatic the way it is printed.
America has more than a 3 to 1 ratio of gun ownership compared to all those other nations.
06-18-2015 04:23 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

So should we just look at overall murder rates then?
06-18-2015 04:24 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Totally lock down the southern border, deport all Illegal Mexicans and some other Central Americans.
Cities vastly expand hiring of police and stop and frisk in risk prone urban areas.
[Image: inlinecharts21.jpg]

Now the rate is even lower, 2.9 as opposed to 7.0 in 1993.

U.S. Firearm Deaths

In 2010, there were 3.6 gun homicides per 100,000 people, compared with 7.0 in 1993, according to CDC data.
In 2010, CDC data counted 11,078 gun homicide deaths, compared with 18,253 in 1993.5
Men and boys make up the vast majority (84% in 2010) of gun homicide victims. The firearm homicide rate also is more than five times as high for males of all ages (6.2 deaths per 100,000 people) as it is for females (1.1 deaths per 100,000 people).
By age group, 69% of gun homicide victims in 2010 were ages 18 to 40, an age range that was 31% of the population that year. Gun homicide rates also are highest for adults ages 18 to 24 and 25 to 40.
A disproportionate share of gun homicide victims are black (55% in 2010, compared with the 13% black share of the population). Whites were 25% of victims but 65% of the population in 2010. Hispanics were 17% of victims and 16% of the population in 2010.
The firearm suicide rate (6.3 per 100,000 people) is higher than the firearm homicide rate and has come down less sharply. The number of gun suicide deaths (19,392 in 2010) outnumbered gun homicides, as has been true since at least 1981.
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/0...c-unaware/

However you can reduce out of wedlock births to poor people, that would help also.
No idea how to prevent gun suicide.
06-18-2015 04:24 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

It doesn't seem like having 3 times as many guns should explain having 3 times as many gun deaths. At least, not if you determine that it's the people that are the problem, and not the guns. Do we have 3 times as many crazy people in this country?
06-18-2015 04:27 PM
hoopfan Offline
1st String

(06-18-2015 04:27 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  It doesn't seem like having 3 times as many guns should explain having 3 times as many gun deaths. At least, not if you determine that it's the people that are the problem, and not the guns. Do we have 3 times as many crazy people in this country?

no, we have much more than 3 times the gun ownership. most of those nations have no gun ownership.

if you account for our gun ownership we should have 10 or 20 times the death rate by gun. but we don't.

people kill people, not guns.
06-18-2015 04:32 PM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Re: RE: Looking for serious answers RE Gun Deaths
(06-18-2015 04:00 PM)Hitch Wrote:  How do we get this number down?

Ask your lib leaders in Md. They've got it all figured out apparently.
06-18-2015 04:35 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-18-2015 04:00 PM)Hitch Wrote:  How do we get this number down?

Well, ONE thing we could do is redefine the timeframe... another would be to redefine our peer group. Another way would be to change the left-hand scale. We could verify the number that SOME governments report. We could also eliminate 'justifiable homicide' as a defense in our courts. It's not clear if they are included here or not, but if i were trying to make the number look bad, I'd include them... and if I wanted it to look good, I wouldn't.

I'm being snarky... not towards you or your REAL issue, but towards the constant barrage of supposed facts that people put out that all have dozens of assumptions in them intended to skew the results to make some kind of a point.

By far, handguns are responsible for a MULTIPLE of the homocides that rifles are, so our focus on assault rifles etc is silly. Similarly, CRIMINALS are responsible for far more shootings than otherwise law abiding citizens... so while this shooting in SC is tragic and the guy deserves all of our anger and hatred... if your goal is to reduce the number, as opposed to reducing the 'shock value' or 'type' of homocide (kiling people at a church or at a movie theatre) then BY FAR the solution is to eliminate criminals with guns... robbers, drug dealers, gang members etc etc etc.

By and large, law abiding citizens obey the law which means they don't commit murder. If you criminalize something that isn't currently a crime (like owning a hand gun) then you are merely turning law abiding citizens into criminals... and they don't want to be that so they will comply. You aren't impacting a criminals decision to use a gun... because the 'add on' for using a gun isn't that much.

If perhaps homocide or robbery or menacing or selling drugs was one charge... and the 'add on' for using a gun to do so was an automatic doubling... in other words, murder by hands was 10 years... By knife was 15 and by gun was 20... and 'dealing' was 6 months, but having a gun with you while you did it was 6 years??

Problem is, if you're going to commit murder, do you really care whether the punishment is 20 or 30 years?
06-18-2015 05:16 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Arrest the murderers before they kill.
06-18-2015 05:24 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
I doubt any of those countries have even a semblance of the incredibly large gang infrastructure in the United States that accounts for so many of these gun deaths.
06-18-2015 05:38 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
The older the population gets the lower the gun crime rate goes. More often than not shootings in my area are when young people get together. They get mad and a gun is handy. Somebody gets shot, sometimes they die.
06-18-2015 05:51 PM
Advertisement

South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Looking for serious answers RE Gun Deaths
Please someone please quote the straw man falsehood of 40% of the gun purchases are without background checks. Waiting....!
06-18-2015 06:03 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(06-18-2015 04:32 PM)hoopfan Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 04:27 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  It doesn't seem like having 3 times as many guns should explain having 3 times as many gun deaths. At least, not if you determine that it's the people that are the problem, and not the guns. Do we have 3 times as many crazy people in this country?

no, we have much more than 3 times the gun ownership. most of those nations have no gun ownership.

if you account for our gun ownership we should have 10 or 20 times the death rate by gun. but we don't.

people kill people, not guns.

What about Switzerland and Canada? They have lots of guns.
06-18-2015 06:13 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I honestly don't care.

Where the gun violence is happening is all that matters, and it isn't around my life.
06-18-2015 06:16 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
If you want gun homicides to go down, do the opposite of what they are doing in an area where gun homicides are high. Like Chicago. High gun homicide rate. They have severe gun control laws. So do the opposite. Problem solved.
06-18-2015 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.