Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No SMU no problem AAC gets 4 bids SEC gets 3. What's the criteria for 'Power' status?
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
No SMU no problem AAC gets 4 bids SEC gets 3. What's the criteria for 'Power' status?
AAC only has 11 teams (only 10 eligible) but despite a 'down' year would have had over half the league in if not for SMU's ban & UH's flukey loss to Tulane in the AAC tournament. Some of the media calls the AAC a power conference at least in basketball while many brand the AAC as a 'mid major". With football on the rise as well I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to define or place the AAC into a specific category.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 06:27 PM by Indiana Bones.)
03-13-2016 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: No SMU no problem AAC gets 4 bids SEC gets 3. What's the criteria for 'Power' status?
This was one of the worst brackets I have seen in a long time
03-13-2016 06:31 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: No SMU no problem AAC gets 4 bids SEC gets 3. What's the criteria for 'Power' status?
Who cares? Why is there this obsession with trying to measure up with the other conferences? I don't care if the AAC is a power or not, just if it's competitive enough to win in.
03-13-2016 06:31 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
We beat 7 teams in the tourney
03-13-2016 06:34 PM
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
(03-13-2016 06:27 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  AAC only has 11 teams (only 10 eligible) but despite a 'down' year would have had over half the league in if not for SMU's ban & UH's flukey loss to Tulane in the AAC tournament. Some of the media calls the AAC a power conference at least in basketball while many brand the AAC as a 'mid major". With football on the rise as well I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to define or place the AAC into a specific category.

Obviously the AAC belongs in the same breath as the ACC and Big 10
03-13-2016 06:46 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(03-13-2016 06:46 PM)rednblackattack Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 06:27 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  AAC only has 11 teams (only 10 eligible) but despite a 'down' year would have had over half the league in if not for SMU's ban & UH's flukey loss to Tulane in the AAC tournament. Some of the media calls the AAC a power conference at least in basketball while many brand the AAC as a 'mid major". With football on the rise as well I think it's becoming increasingly difficult to define or place the AAC into a specific category.

Obviously the AAC belongs in the same breath as the ACC and Big 10

Tell that to ESPiN!
03-13-2016 06:48 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

RPI rankings, which do not discriminate against SMU, have the AAC as the 8th best conference, same as it has been the last three years.

Nothing "powerful" about that. 07-coffee3
03-13-2016 06:56 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I ask again, who cares? If the AAC was a power conference, we wouldn't have to ask about it. Just let things flow the way they flow.
03-13-2016 07:06 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(03-13-2016 06:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

RPI rankings, which do not discriminate against SMU, have the AAC as the 8th best conference, same as it has been the last three years.

But not far off either. My premise was that you really can't fit the AAC into either power or mid major status because of football and basketball both being fairly successful and a notch above everyone outside of the 'Power'' conferences. On performance alone the AAC is closer to the P5 than the G4 & if the Big 12 doesn't expand the pay will substantially increase here soon.
03-13-2016 07:09 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

All that says is that the AAC went into the program building business when it invited its last teams, as opposed to inviting ready-made programs.

4 bids is a great statement on the core of the conference (and doesn't even include SMU).

Personally, I couldn't care less about what Creighton and Marquette do versus UCF and Tulane; unless they have prospective coaching candidates. The new ADs at UCF and Tulane are on the hunt.

The AAC will continue to build and thrive.
03-13-2016 07:20 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Good to get 4 schools, but if you think that will be a factor in the Media calling the AAC a power conference you haven't been paying attention. Remember a couple years ago when the MWC had either 4 out of 8 or 5 of their 9 schools make the NCAA tpurnament? Remember a couple of years ago when AAC conference member UCONN won the NCAA Tournament? I could use more examples but it's pointless...Like life, college athletics--P5/ESPN--ain't fair...well, life is probably a bit more fair. Cheers!
03-13-2016 08:03 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-13-2016 08:03 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Good to get 4 schools, but if you think that will be a factor in the Media calling the AAC a power conference you haven't been paying attention. Remember a couple years ago when the MWC had either 4 out of 8 or 5 of their 9 schools make the NCAA tpurnament? Remember a couple of years ago when AAC conference member UCONN won the NCAA Tournament? I could use more examples but it's pointless...Like life, college athletics--P5/ESPN--ain't fair...well, life is probably a bit more fair. Cheers!

This was actually a down year for the AAC. 04-cheers I'll take 4 in a down year.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 08:11 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-13-2016 08:09 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-13-2016 07:20 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

All that says is that the AAC went into the program building business when it invited its last teams, as opposed to inviting ready-made programs.

4 bids is a great statement on the core of the conference (and doesn't even include SMU).

Problem is, UCF and Tulane are as much a part of the "core" as are Memphis and UConn.

Every conference has a top and a bottom. The AAC's top and bottom average out to #8, and that just isn't very good.
03-13-2016 10:53 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
For basketball, there is a Power 6, the next tier is A-10, AAC and occasionally the MWC, MVC and WCC.....
03-13-2016 11:01 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-13-2016 11:01 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  For basketball, there is a Power 6, the next tier is A-10, AAC and occasionally the MWC, MVC and WCC.....

lmao... I love made up titles.. they are almost as nice as self-bestowed nicknames
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 11:28 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-13-2016 11:18 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-13-2016 10:53 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 07:20 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Problem is, UCF and Tulane are as much a part of the "core" as are Memphis and UConn.

Every conference has a top and a bottom. The AAC's top and bottom average out to #8, and that just isn't very good.

That's no problem. New UCF and Tulane AD's Dannen and White are hiring new coaches this year.

By "Core" I was referring to the tradition-rich programs. This was always going to be a process. It was never an expectation that the "bottom" was going to hit the ground running. This was a build from Day 1.

The criteria for those invites wasn't basketball-centric, so the avg was irrelevant.
03-13-2016 11:24 PM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(03-13-2016 11:18 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(03-13-2016 11:01 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  For basketball, there is a Power 6, the next tier is A-10, AAC and occasionally the MWC, MVC and WCC.....

lmao... I love made up titles.. they are almost as nice as self-bestowed nicknames

Honest truth, when half your league is a dumpster fire of crappy basketball teams and the other half is jockeying to leave the league at any sight of a P5 invite, it is what it is....

Really, does this look like a power conference to you???

[Image: CdZGO0GXEAEfmMP.jpg]

[Image: CdUIBIuXIAAqr6j.jpg]

[Image: CdTlxq6UsAA-tQu.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016 12:30 AM by Jet915.)
03-14-2016 12:26 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Well the Big East got 5....so....
03-14-2016 12:48 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Holy Cross should not have gone period even if they won the Patriot tournament. A lot of good teams got left out. 19 teams with 9 or less loses are not going to the big dance.
Holy Cross
Vanderbilt
FDU
Austin Peay State
Oregon State
Texas Tech
Syracuse
All those teams are taken up spots that 20 + win teams deserved it more.
03-14-2016 01:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Power conferences are defined by one thing - MONEY.

By that standard, AAC isn't close. Have to keep winning and building up programs to even sniff 1/2 the money that P5 conferences get.
03-14-2016 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.