Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Message Sent by Selection Committee
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Online
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
If you are not from a power conference it means absolutely nothing what you do during the seasont. Might as well pad you win column with a bunch of jablowmes and focus all your effort on winning the conference tournament.

The committee has laid out the footprint for years on how to get in. From year to year those criteria evolve but they mostly have similar characteristics. The past few years it trendy critea has been go out and schedule and win road games. No one took that to heart and did that more than MT. It didn't matter.

Most programs from non power conferences either can't (for any number of variables) or don't really try to do what the committee asks. MT did. But it doesn't matter. It's all lies and BS. Oklahoma and Alabama played one true road game out of conference. One. MT won four OOC road games. Doesn't matter. What has to be the most disheartening for Kermit, staff, etc., is the amount of effort that they put into developing an NCAA tournament resume during the regular season. But it doesn't matter.

Probably the biggest indictment on this whole process is that they had St Bonaventure as one of the last four in. Ridiculous. That really tells you all you need to know.
03-11-2018 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Message Sent by Selection Committee
IMO, every conference other than the Power 5, Big East, A10, and AAC probably just needs to get rid of their conference tournaments. It's become apparent that the idea that the tournament can be a back door for mid-major conferences to get multiple teams in the NCAAs is bunk. If that's not the case, why spend the money on these things? We're probably not even breaking even on the expenses versus what money is made.

It's great for Marshall to steal a bid and get a bid to the NCAAs, but it's not good for leagues like CUSA to not send the top team in the conference.

We have the same issue in the Sun Belt. UTA was in the 40s in RPI last year and got left out so our tournament champ could get chewed up by Duke. This year a 27-win UL team is going to the NIT.
03-11-2018 07:09 PM
Heisman

The Blue Raiders, sadly, won’t get the opportunity to play Cinderella again this year, and were one of the first teams left out of the field of 68 as a notable snub on Selection Sunday. MTSU (24-7) lacked marquee wins, but had the most true road wins of any team in the country (12), presented a top-10 non-conference strength of schedule and held a 33 RPI.

We did exactly what the selection committee wanted us to do,” Davis said. “We did everything we possibly could. Of course, we’d like to have more wins (the Blue Raiders lost one-possession games to Auburn, USC and Miami). At our level, it’s trying to be literally perfect. …It is a tough world we live in (as a mid-major conference member). It’s a grind for us because you cannot slip up one bit. You lose just one game to a C-USA team and then all the pundits put us out.”

It was likely the Blue Raiders’ early Conference USA tourney exit to Southern Mississippi, a gigantic résumé stain, that knocked them out of the NCAA field. Two losses to eventual tourney champ Marshall, a team that went down-to-the-wire against Xavier, didn’t help MTSU’s cause but were way less costly. Middle Tennessee had won 11 games in a row and was playing some of its best basketball before losing to Marshall in the regular-season finale on March 3 and Southern Miss. this past week.

“We just had a six-day period where we weren’t playing our best basketball offensively,” Davis said. “It just happened at the wrong time. You hope you can be judged based on an entire season instead of a six-day period by the committee, but unfortunately those two losses (were costly).”

Davis had his team practice on Friday, with the idea that the Blue Raiders would be playing Tuesday regardless — in the NCAAs for a play-in game in Dayton or the NIT as a No. 1 seed for a home game. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the latter.

Here’s a look at six other teams that got snubbed the selection committee this March.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...414183002/

-----

Oklahoma can lose eight games in Feb and March but their November and December still count. MT can lose one game in a conference tournament and November and December mean absolutely nothing.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 07:37 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
03-11-2018 07:35 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
And we aren't even a #1 seed in the NIT. a THREE seed. what a freaking joke
03-11-2018 07:41 PM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-11-2018 07:35 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Davis had his team practice on Friday, with the idea that the Blue Raiders would be playing Tuesday regardless — in the NCAAs for a play-in game in Dayton or the NIT as a No. 1 seed for a home game. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the latter.

Sadly, not even a 1 or a 2. Freaking ridiculous.
03-11-2018 07:42 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Why would they send a team like MTSU to just be first round cannon fodder for a P5? Do you really think MTSU could win an NCAA game?
<don’t answer that... I’m just trying to figure out what these imbeciles are thinking... other than finding fake excuses for screwing over a team and a conference that has proven themselves in the NCAA year after year>
03-11-2018 07:47 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
the committee changes their criteria so it fits the teams they want in
03-11-2018 08:02 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
It's a joke and they now try to put the decent non P5 schools playing each other too
03-11-2018 08:04 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
I’m pretty much done with it. 20+ years ago Ralph Willard got us an at-large and our record was something like 20-9. That would NEVER happen now. This is by design. These dumbasses don’t care for the Cinderella stories. Yeah people talk at work about them but these folks want their best selling products on the shelf. Not always their best products but their best selling.

The 1-64 break from the rest of us is coming. They’re just getting us used to it now. Give those motherfucking ******** their own ******* division and get it over with.

I ******* detest the people running this ****. Especially ESFUCKINGPN. They’re the driving force behind it. They marketed the product the way they wanted it. They’ve been pitting good mid-majors against each other for years in first round games.
03-11-2018 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(03-11-2018 08:10 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  I’m pretty much done with it. 20+ years ago Ralph Willard got us an at-large and our record was something like 20-9. That would NEVER happen now. This is by design. These dumbasses don’t care for the Cinderella stories. Yeah people talk at work about them but these folks want their best selling products on the shelf. Not always their best products but their best selling.

The 1-64 break from the rest of us is coming. They’re just getting us used to it now. Give those motherfucking ******** their own ******* division and get it over with.

I ******* detest the people running this ****. Especially ESFUCKINGPN. They’re the driving force behind it. They marketed the product the way they wanted it. They’ve been pitting good mid-majors against each other for years in first round games.

100% right....ESPN has ruined college basketball, football has already been taken and pretty soon college basketball will be done....They will have their own tournament and the NIT will be ours.....This oklahoma St. HC should be embarrassed whining about not being in tournament, they went 19-14 and had a losing conf. record!

THis Quad 1 bull**** was meant to knock us down even more because they know our teams only will have about 4 opportunities to even play a QUad 1 team, then they would say you only had 4 QUAD 1 wins but Alabama has 10 quad 1 wins out of 20 chances with 3/4ths of the games home....WKU would have had a better record then Oklahoma did if we switched schedules, guarantee playing some of these teams at home we could win a lot of games...
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 08:20 PM by WKUFan518.)
03-11-2018 08:17 PM
Heisman

(03-11-2018 08:10 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  I’m pretty much done with it. 20+ years ago Ralph Willard got us an at-large and our record was something like 20-9. That would NEVER happen now. This is by design. These dumbasses don’t care for the Cinderella stories. Yeah people talk at work about them but these folks want their best selling products on the shelf. Not always their best products but their best selling.

I'm getting there too. We've fought like hell to have a relevant program, but it's never going to happen.. There is just too much money and power involved now that these conferences really have become cartels and mob bosses. It's only a matter of time before someone from one of these conferences puts a hit out on someone.

This probably also seals Kermit's decision to leave.
03-11-2018 08:20 PM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
This isn't even crying. It's just a joke.

Middle PROVED they can play. 12 road wins. Top RPI left out of the tournament.

It's like Kermit said, one mistake and no grace from these bastards. You can be Oklahoma, finish your year 2-8 and make it.

I honestly think they don't pay attention.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 08:22 PM by rileylives.)
03-11-2018 08:20 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(03-11-2018 08:20 PM)rileylives Wrote:  This isn't even crying. It's just a joke.

Middle PROVED they can play. 12 road wins. Top RPI left out of the tournament.

It's like Kirby said, one mistake and no grace from these bastards. You can be Oklahoma, finish your year 2-8 and make it.

I honestly think they don't pay attention.

They pay attention. They just don’t give a **** about any pretensions anymore. They used to try to hide it. Right now it’s just **** you and you’ll take it.
03-11-2018 08:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
They want another game to drool over Trae Young and leave out a better team in the process. Being a mid major fan really sucks these days

Sent from my SM-G920V using CSNbbs mobile app
03-11-2018 08:28 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-11-2018 08:10 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  20+ years ago Ralph Willard got us an at-large and our record was something like 20-9.
I fondly remember those old Sun Belt days. Regular 2,3 bids each year for an 8-10 team league.

Willard got WKU into the Dance a couple of times then left for Big East/Pittsburgh. That didn’t turn out too well for him.
03-11-2018 08:30 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

you now understand why I don't post much on this board anymore.....

MT took a 2x4 up the arse.....hell, they probably don't get in if they made it to the championship game and lost....

phuck all these pos.....

I'll watch Marshall until they lose....

it's only going to get worse....
03-11-2018 08:34 PM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Honestly it's not even just CUSA, etc that are getting shafted by the committee. Happening to everyone who isn't ACC, Big 10/12, SEC, or Pac 12, and top tier Big East. St Mary's royally screwed, and BAYLOR??!!!?? as a first team out? What the hell is that? Even Providence who was runner up in tournament - and relative nobody nationally - was close to the bubble as a 10 seed.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018 08:44 PM by Ole Blue.)
03-11-2018 08:43 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Providence had 3 wins over top 5 teams and almost another. (among other wins) They gad a couple bad losses, but I dont see how they miss out
03-11-2018 08:56 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(03-11-2018 07:03 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  If you are not from a power conference it means absolutely nothing what you do during the seasont. Might as well pad you win column with a bunch of jablowmes and focus all your effort on winning the conference tournament.

The committee has laid out the footprint for years on how to get in. From year to year those criteria evolve but they mostly have similar characteristics. The past few years it trendy critea has been go out and schedule and win road games. No one took that to heart and did that more than MT. It didn't matter.

Most programs from non power conferences either can't (for any number of variables) or don't really try to do what the committee asks. MT did. But it doesn't matter. It's all lies and BS. Oklahoma and Alabama played one true road game out of conference. One. MT won four OOC road games. Doesn't matter. What has to be the most disheartening for Kermit, staff, etc., is the amount of effort that they put into developing an NCAA tournament resume during the regular season. But it doesn't matter.

Probably the biggest indictment on this whole process is that they had St Bonaventure as one of the last four in. Ridiculous. That really tells you all you need to know.

You stated that Marshall fans knew nothing about basketball. Well we knew that the secret to CUSA is to get at least 4th seed for a bye and win the tournament. Because we knew it's a one bid league no matter what else you do. Glad you finally caught up. Day late and dollar short, but welcome.
03-11-2018 09:01 PM
Heisman

(03-11-2018 09:01 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 07:03 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  If you are not from a power conference it means absolutely nothing what you do during the seasont. Might as well pad you win column with a bunch of jablowmes and focus all your effort on winning the conference tournament.

You stated that Marshall fans knew nothing about basketball.

Complete fabrication. Feel free to try to prove that. Stop being an asshat. I've never said anything even remotely close to that.
03-11-2018 09:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.