Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ice thawing? BYU & Wyoming H&H football talks
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation Ice thawing? BYU & Wyoming H&H football talks
As you all know I follow future college football scheduling religiously and this one surprised me: BYU and Wyoming are talking about a H&H in 2021 & 2024. This would be the first "front range old gaurd WAC/MWC founder to schedule BYU.
BYU and Wyoming have shared a conference from 1922-2011 with BYU leading the series 45-30-3.
Interesting if this happens....
04-24-2018 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Ice thawing? BYU & Wyoming H&H football talks
MWC is desperate.
04-24-2018 07:54 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
We'll see if it happens. Think too many fans may be against it.
04-24-2018 08:18 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2018 07:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  MWC is desperate.

Actually, BYU is the desperate one.
04-24-2018 08:19 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(04-24-2018 08:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 07:54 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  MWC is desperate.

Actually, BYU is the desperate one.

This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-24-2018 09:07 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Wyoming fans will riot if that happens. BYU must be reconsidering the MWC.
04-24-2018 09:08 PM
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
I'm not familiar with the politics but this seems like it makes sense for both sides. Regional, long term rivals. It doesn't seem like BYU is ever coming back to the MWC, so it doesn't make sense to pressure them. That said, if they were going to rejoin a conference, the MWC seems like it would be the conference for them to join.
04-24-2018 10:31 PM
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Perhaps BYU & UTEP to MWC with Gonzaga and St. Mary’s (non-football)
04-24-2018 11:02 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

(04-24-2018 10:31 PM)canewton Wrote:  I'm not familiar with the politics but this seems like it makes sense for both sides. Regional, long term rivals. It doesn't seem like BYU is ever coming back to the MWC, so it doesn't make sense to pressure them. That said, if they were going to rejoin a conference, the MWC seems like it would be the conference for them to join.

This is not a rivalry, this is a blood feud, stemming from racial issues back in the late sixties and seventies. It is not rivalry hate here, but much more. Wyoming would probably vote against BYU coming back to the MWC.

04-24-2018 11:25 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(04-24-2018 11:02 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Perhaps BYU & UTEP to MWC with Gonzaga and St. Mary’s (non-football)

Adding BYU, UTEP and Gonzaga would give the MWC 14 for hoops. I can’t think of any good reason to go to 15 with St. Mary’s.

Anyhow none of this is likely since Gonzaga isn’t coming to the MWC any time soon (if ever) and that substantially reduces the pressure on BYU to change its current situation.
04-24-2018 11:26 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
(04-24-2018 09:08 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Wyoming fans will riot if that happens. BYU must be reconsidering the MWC.

It would be a small riot.
04-24-2018 11:48 PM
Advertisement

SactoHornetAlum Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sac State
(04-24-2018 11:25 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 10:31 PM)canewton Wrote:  I'm not familiar with the politics but this seems like it makes sense for both sides. Regional, long term rivals. It doesn't seem like BYU is ever coming back to the MWC, so it doesn't make sense to pressure them. That said, if they were going to rejoin a conference, the MWC seems like it would be the conference for them to join.

This is not a rivalry, this is a blood feud, stemming from racial issues back in the late sixties and seventies. It is not rivalry hate here, but much more. Wyoming would probably vote against BYU coming back to the MWC.

Do tell....05-stirthepot
04-25-2018 04:44 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-25-2018 04:44 PM)SactoHornetAlum Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 11:25 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  

Do tell....05-stirthepot

UTEP had something similar with BYU. Several African-American players refused to play a game against BYU due to LDS Church policies than banned African Americans from Priesthood. The church changed the policy in the late 70’s. Many have said that the moment destroyed a Wyoming football program that was so good they made a Sugar Bowl in the era. Back when the Sugar Bowl was one of the few bowls and a very major bowl.
04-25-2018 05:27 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-24-2018 05:17 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  As you all know I follow future college football scheduling religiously and this one surprised me: BYU and Wyoming are talking about a H&H in 2021 & 2024. This would be the first "front range old gaurd WAC/MWC founder to schedule BYU.
BYU and Wyoming have shared a conference from 1922-2011 with BYU leading the series 45-30-3.
Interesting if this happens....

Yes it would be the first game with the Front Range Schools outside of bowl games since 2011 when BYU went independent. However BYU averages 3 games a year with the MWC with 2 being the minimum and 5 the maximum. Boise St and Utah St appear to be annual games at this point (2011-2020) with Hawaii, SDST, UNLV, Nevada, and SJST moving in and out of the schedule on a continual basis. So it appears that BYU and the MWC schools do have an amicable relationship while BYU continues their independent experiment. 07-coffee3
04-26-2018 08:35 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-24-2018 11:26 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 11:02 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Perhaps BYU & UTEP to MWC with Gonzaga and St. Mary’s (non-football)

Adding BYU, UTEP and Gonzaga would give the MWC 14 for hoops. I can’t think of any good reason to go to 15 with St. Mary’s.

Anyhow none of this is likely since Gonzaga isn’t coming to the MWC any time soon (if ever) and that substantially reduces the pressure on BYU to change its current situation.

The MWC only expands if BYU comes back and then it only goes to 14 schools to offset the BYU return to the fold. Since Gonzaga shot down the MWC overture for BB / Olympic Sports only, I don't know
if the conference would be interested in off setting Hawaii's FB only relationship with a BB / Olympic Sport member. Should BYU return an interesting move would be one that brought BYU and UTEP in as all sports members and NMST in for BB / Olympic Sport membership with an OOC football contract of 2 - 6 games a year. Two of the NMST games would be against UTEP and New Mexico who they play annually anyway. With 6 games contracted with the MWC, NMST would be able to easily fill out their football schedule with an FCS game, a P5 money game, and games with the western divisions of the Sun Belt and CUSA. The BB only offer for NMST would bring in another potential NCAA Tournament contender. However this is all moot at this time as BYU is waiting until the B-12 grant of rights is over and will wait with any conference moves until the next potential realignment plays out around 2025. Until then all of the players can mull this over as a back up plan for 2025. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 08:51 PM by panite.)
04-26-2018 09:01 AM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

CBS SPORTS runs a special called the Wyoming 14;and it tells the story behind what happened to Wyoming football. Players wanted to wear armbands protesting BYU when they played and Eaton, Wyo coach, ended up booting all 14 off team. They were undefeated when it happened, and program went to hell after that and never recovered, BYU would do stuff like hose the field after game to get the black off and other racist crap. In the WAC in those days they were called bigot young.

04-27-2018 01:37 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-27-2018 01:37 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  CBS SPORTS runs a special called the Wyoming 14;and it tells the story behind what happened to Wyoming football. Players wanted to wear armbands protesting BYU when they played and Eaton, Wyo coach, ended up booting all 14 off team. They were undefeated when it happened, and program went to hell after that and never recovered, BYU would do stuff like hose the field after game to get the black off and other racist crap. In the WAC in those days they were called bigot young.

Wow....that’s bad....
04-27-2018 02:20 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Rumor mill is saying any thawing is back to frozen. Bosters are against playing BYU and they are reminding the AD of his words to never schedule BYU.
04-29-2018 09:11 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(04-29-2018 09:11 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Rumor mill is saying any thawing is back to frozen. Bosters are against playing BYU and they are reminding the AD of his words to never schedule BYU.

Interesting...I still haven't seen the official of the game...did it fall through?
04-29-2018 12:41 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2018 12:41 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-29-2018 09:11 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Rumor mill is saying any thawing is back to frozen. Bosters are against playing BYU and they are reminding the AD of his words to never schedule BYU.

Interesting...I still haven't seen the official of the game...did it fall through?

hard to say, however, unlike other announcements, if it was going to happen it probably would have been announced by now.

If enough fans and booster got to the AD then it may have fallen through....but as of now it is just a rumor from the MW board.
04-29-2018 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.