Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019 Dukes Softball
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Question 2019 Dukes Softball
I guess we are about a month away from getting a better feel for the 2019 schedule. Last year's schedule was released in mid-December, but some opponents should start releasing their schedules in November perhaps. We know the Dukes will participate in a big early-season tournament in Florida that will attract some big name programs and provide the opportunity for the Good Gals to register some quality W's.

The roster and individual profiles have been updated... https://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

Coach LaPorte welcomes 9 freshmen.

Only 1 senior listed and it is this redshirt named Good. She might get some playing time this season. 03-thumbsup
10-30-2018 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

RE: 2019 Dukes Softball
(10-30-2018 09:32 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  I guess we are about a month away from getting a better feel for the 2019 schedule. Last year's schedule was released in mid-December, but some opponents should start releasing their schedules in November perhaps. We know the Dukes will participate in a big early-season tournament in Florida that will attract some big name programs and provide the opportunity for the Good Gals to register some quality W's.

The roster and individual profiles have been updated... https://jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

Only 1 senior listed and it is this redshirt named Good. She might get some playing time this season. 03-thumbsup

I've heard that Odicci hasn't been throwing in the fall games, it's been all Buresch and Good. If it's true, I'd be curious to know why. The simple answer might be we're going with a 2 pitcher rotation, and they're the best 2. Could also be an injury, or maybe she's just sick of pitching.

As far at the incoming FR go, the only one we've competed against regularly was Lexi Lomax (at Orange HS and with her travel team, Unity). She's one heck of a hitter. The Shiflett kid had a sister that was a monster player, ended up playing professionally. Kudlacik at 5'10" seems to be a pitcher in the mold of what JMU likes, tall and likely a hard thrower with a lot of spin. NJ Pride is typically going to produce quality players, I see we'v kept our Bandits pipeline open with Hallie Hall. Big numbers in this class, but there's a lot of success at the high school and travel level with this group.
10-30-2018 09:54 AM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(10-30-2018 09:54 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  
(10-30-2018 09:32 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  I guess we are about a month away from getting a better feel for the 2019 schedule. Last year's schedule was released in mid-December, but some opponents should start releasing their schedules in November perhaps. We know the Dukes will participate in a big early-season tournament in Florida that will attract some big name programs and provide the opportunity for the Good Gals to register some quality W's.

I've heard that Odicci hasn't been throwing in the fall games, it's been all Buresch and Good. If it's true, I'd be curious to know why. The simple answer might be we're going with a 2 pitcher rotation, and they're the best 2. Could also be an injury, or maybe she's just sick of pitching.

As far at the incoming FR go, the only one we've competed against regularly was Lexi Lomax (at Orange HS and with her travel team, Unity). She's one heck of a hitter. The Shiflett kid had a sister that was a monster player, ended up playing professionally. Kudlacik at 5'10" seems to be a pitcher in the mold of what JMU likes, tall and likely a hard thrower with a lot of spin. NJ Pride is typically going to produce quality players, I see we'v kept our Bandits pipeline open with Hallie Hall. Big numbers in this class, but there's a lot of success at the high school and travel level with this group.

"Could also be an injury," That is what I was hearing and that she did not play at all this fall.
10-30-2018 12:12 PM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

(10-30-2018 12:12 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  
(10-30-2018 09:54 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  

"Could also be an injury," That is what I was hearing and that she did not play at all this fall.

I was talking with some coaches from another school, they only said she didn't pitch so I assumed she played and didn't pitch. But it would make a lot more sense, especially in the fall season, for her to be injured and not playing.
10-30-2018 12:36 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukes will be heading out to a tournament at the University of Arizona in Tuscon (Wildcat Invitational, March 1-3).

At least, the Drake University schedule says so... https://godrakebulldogs.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

Also, the Kentucky schedule shows we will be playing them (Feb. 17) at the ESPN St. Pete Clearwater FL Elite Invitational with game being televised on one of the ESPN Networks... https://ukathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

I guess we'll find out soon when the schedule is released but figure the Good Gals will be facing some stiff competition on TV mid-February in Florida. For example, JMU will also play Oregon on Feb. 15... https://goducks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=2371
11-13-2018 10:38 AM
Dukester Offline

At the very least hope she get's some innings on Senior day.....
11-13-2018 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukes will be traveling to EZU for a weekend series of games. We'll face Boston College twice there Feb. 22 & 23... https://admin.bceagles.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=680

Also, while out at the event in Tuscon, looks like the Dukes will take a trip to Tempe to face Arizona State for 1 game on March 7, Thursday... https://thesundevils.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 09:18 AM by Wear Purple.)
11-16-2018 09:16 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
damn. this schedule is shaping up to be like a couple years ago.

loaded with top 25 programs. I guess that answers the question for "good" if Good is back. probably wouldn't load up the schedule so much without her.
11-16-2018 11:12 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU's schedule should be released soon. More updates to the schedule build...(all times ET)...with more to come

Feb. 15, Fri., 5:30pm, vs Oregon (at Clearwater, FL)
Feb. 16, Sat., 4:00pm, vs Tennessee (at Clearwater, FL)
*will be more at Clearwater

Feb. 22, Fri., 10:00am, vs Seton Hall (at Greenville, NC)
Feb. 22, Fri., 12:30pm, vs Boston College (at Greenville, NC)
Feb. 23, Sat., 10:00am, vs Seton Hall (at Greenville, NC)
Feb. 23, Sat., 3:00pm, vs Boston College (at Greenville, NC)
Feb. 24, Sun., 11:30am, at East Carolina

Mar. 2, Sat., 11:00am, vs Drake (at Tuscon, AZ)
Mar. 2, Sat., 3:30pm, vs Kent State (at Tuscon, AZ)
Mar. 3, Sun., 1:15pm, vs Minnesota (at Tuscon, AZ)
Mar. 3, Sun., 3:30pm, at Arizona

Mar. 7, Thu., 3:30pm, vs Michigan (at Tempe, AZ)
Mar. 7, Thu., 6:00pm, at Arizona State
Mar. 8, Fri., 1:30pm, vs South Dakota (at Tempe, AZ)
Mar. 9, Sat., 4:00, vs Lehigh (at Tempe, AZ)

Mar. 30, Sat., 12:00/2:30pm (DH), at Towson
Mar. 31, Sun., 1:00pm, at Towson

Apr. 6, Sat., 1:00/3:30pm (DH), at Hofstra
Apr. 7, Sun., 12:00pm, at Hofstra

Apr. 10, Wed., 4:00/6:00pm (DH), at Virginia Tech

Apr. 17, Wed., 3:00/5:30pm (DH), home vs Duke

Apr. 20, Sat., 12:00/2:30pm (DH), home vs Charleston
Apr. 21, Sun., 12:00pm, home vs Charleston

Apr. 23, Tue., 6:00pm, home vs Virginia

Apr. 27, Sat., (DH) times TBA, home vs Drexel
Apr. 28, Sun., time TBA, home vs Drexel
12-06-2018 09:38 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
That schedule looks pretty damn strong! Really looking forward to following the team this year. They have the chance to be pretty special.
12-06-2018 09:59 AM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

This team is 36-10 vs P5 competition since 2016, pretty damn impressive for a mid-major. This year's team COULD be as good as any of the past teams, IF we have a second pitcher that gets it done. I think Buresch is that 2nd pitcher, and a lineup with Good and Alexander in it is a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Hard to pitch to or around them back to back.
12-06-2018 10:15 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

12-07-2018 02:48 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(12-07-2018 02:48 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Softball schedule released... https://jmusports.com/news/2018/12/7/jmu...edule.aspx

Softball may play the most challenging schedule of any of our programs currently. If they do well they could even play their way into an at-large spot.
12-07-2018 03:25 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-07-2018 03:25 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 02:48 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Softball schedule released... https://jmusports.com/news/2018/12/7/jmu...edule.aspx

Softball may play the most challenging schedule of any of our programs currently. If they do well they could even play their way into an at-large spot.

They got an at large bid to the NCAAT last year without Megan Good and having to rely heavily on a freshman for pitching. That freshman is now a sophomore and hopefully Good is back 100%. This team should have its sights set on a CAA championship and at minimum a NCAAT regional victory (hopefully hosting again). Once you get to the Super Regionals, anything can happen.

Great to see the team raise the bar in terms of scheduling. This has the makings of perhaps the best team in school history. That is, at least, in the pitching department (again assuming Good is 100%) and softball is all about pitching. Our 3 pitchers include the 2018 CAA Rookie of the Year, the 2018 CAA Player of the Year, and the 2017 National Player of the Year.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 03:37 PM by Wear Purple.)
12-07-2018 03:35 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(12-06-2018 10:15 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  This team is 36-10 vs P5 competition since 2016, pretty damn impressive for a mid-major. This year's team COULD be as good as any of the past teams, IF we have a second pitcher that gets it done. I think Buresch is that 2nd pitcher, and a lineup with Good and Alexander in it is a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Hard to pitch to or around them back to back.

Jmusteeler. You are obviously into softball and also know a lot about JMUs program. I was recently told by a parent of a player down here in the 757 some things about JMU and the head coach that I would love for you to comment on. It painted her and the program in a bad light, and I wanted to defend our program and coach but didnt know how. Their daughter is a pitcher at one of the top softball schools in this area, normally competing for state championship. I mean, she was dominant last year as a soph. In light of all this she already committed as a junior verbally to another VA D1 school. Here is the mom’s story: she was invited to a tournament at JMU- kind of a showcase thing I guess. She was then told there was no need to attend because the JMU coach said she would be at another tournament closer to where this girl lives and was already committed to play and would watch/work with her there. The JMU coach didnt show up. Then she was told the same thing again, that the coach would be at another tournament and see/talk with her there, but the same thing happened. No show by JMU coach. They are making this out to be a big deal and using it as ammo for why the other school is better etc. Does this even make sense, and is this a common thing to happen?
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 03:36 PM by jmutoml757.)
12-07-2018 03:36 PM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

(12-07-2018 03:36 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 10:15 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  This team is 36-10 vs P5 competition since 2016, pretty damn impressive for a mid-major. This year's team COULD be as good as any of the past teams, IF we have a second pitcher that gets it done. I think Buresch is that 2nd pitcher, and a lineup with Good and Alexander in it is a nightmare for opposing pitchers. Hard to pitch to or around them back to back.

Jmusteeler. You are obviously into softball and also know a lot about JMUs program. I was recently told by a parent of a player down here in the 757 some things about JMU and the head coach that I would love for you to comment on. It painted her and the program in a bad light, and I wanted to defend our program and coach but didnt know how. Their daughter is a pitcher at one of the top softball schools in this area, normally competing for state championship. I mean, she was dominant last year as a soph. In light of all this she already committed as a junior verbally to another VA D1 school. Here is the mom’s story: she was invited to a tournament at JMU- kind of a showcase thing I guess. She was then told there was no need to attend because the JMU coach said she would be at another tournament closer to where this girl lives and was already committed to play and would watch/work with her there. The JMU coach didnt show up. Then she was told the same thing again, that the coach would be at another tournament and see/talk with her there, but the same thing happened. No show by JMU coach. They are making this out to be a big deal and using it as ammo for why the other school is better etc. Does this even make sense, and is this a common thing to happen?

I would be shocked if what she is telling you is the whole story, I've known coaches LaPorte and Herzig to be diligent in their attention to players they are interested in. I've coached several players in travel and high school that were on their radar, and I've never had them promise to show up and then not show. They've even showed for high school championships to watch their players, including ours 2 years ago when they showed for the Class 6 and Class 5 games (because they had players in both, and players they were interested in playing in both as well).

They are very different from Mickey Dean, BUT Coach Dean wouldn't tell you he was coming and then not show either. He would simply tell you he wasn't interested, and he'd even direct you to a school that might be. My guess is there's baggage here, and they're really not interested. But even in that scenario, they would never mislead a kid into thinking they were coming and then not show up. I feel confident there's something here you're not being told. It's also possible the message is being filtered through a travel coach who may have a communication issue with those coaches. College coaches are not likely to burn bridges like that.
12-07-2018 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Is it possible that was back between Mickey's time leaving to the SEC?
12-07-2018 04:39 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(12-07-2018 04:19 PM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  

I would be shocked if what she is telling you is the whole story, I've known coaches LaPorte and Herzig to be diligent in their attention to players they are interested in. I've coached several players in travel and high school that were on their radar, and I've never had them promise to show up and then not show. They've even showed for high school championships to watch their players, including ours 2 years ago when they showed for the Class 6 and Class 5 games (because they had players in both, and players they were interested in playing in both as well).

They are very different from Mickey Dean, BUT Coach Dean wouldn't tell you he was coming and then not show either. He would simply tell you he wasn't interested, and he'd even direct you to a school that might be. My guess is there's baggage here, and they're really not interested. But even in that scenario, they would never mislead a kid into thinking they were coming and then not show up. I feel confident there's something here you're not being told. It's also possible the message is being filtered through a travel coach who may have a communication issue with those coaches. College coaches are not likely to burn bridges like that.

Thanks. I know she is part of a travel team. I don’t think it’s the norm, but this kid has an actual full ride for softball. She is an ace and was nearly perfect and unittable as a soph- dad said she is hitting 66 on the gun too. One of her teammates signed an LOI this fall to attend JMU, but the JMU girl is not nearly getting a full ride. Anyway, talking to both girl’s parents has been enlightening. The kid coming to JMU just loves our school and would probably be here regardless. The other kid is simply looking for the most $$$$. Maybe our coaches picked up on that.
12-07-2018 04:40 PM
JMU83 Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2018 04:40 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

Thanks. I know she is part of a travel team. I don’t think it’s the norm, but this kid has an actual full ride for softball. She is an ace and was nearly perfect and unittable as a soph- dad said she is hitting 66 on the gun too. One of her teammates signed an LOI this fall to attend JMU, but the JMU girl is not nearly getting a full ride. Anyway, talking to both girl’s parents has been enlightening. The kid coming to JMU just loves our school and would probably be here regardless. The other kid is simply looking for the most $$$$. Maybe our coaches picked up on that.
Her dad telling you his daughter is receiving a "full ride" tells me a lot.
12-07-2018 04:45 PM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

(12-07-2018 04:45 PM)JMU83 Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 04:40 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

Her dad telling you his daughter is receiving a "full ride" tells me a lot.

Yeah, 66 isn't likely to get you a full ride anywhere. Our ace pitcher is at Duke, she throws about 66 (and is a stud hitter, too) and isn't earning a full ride. The best she got was 90% from a low level mid major (where she would have been the best they ever had). Not many full rides in softball.

Edit - for comparison, Lee Davis HS had a pitcher throwing low 70s and Gatorade Player of the Year for VA. She was their #1 as a FR, and was only earning 25% of a ride. JMU83 will know who that was.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 05:38 PM by JMUSteeler.)
12-07-2018 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.