Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Herbstreit on Gameday is right
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Herbstreit on Gameday is right
Houston would have likely made the playoffs in 16 if they ran the table because they beat Big 12 champ and ranked UL.

But if you don't play anyone you can win win 40 in a row and you don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Kudos to UCF though for a fantastic Gameday turnout.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2018 10:25 AM by quo vadis.)
11-17-2018 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmyBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
RE: Herbstreit on Gameday is right
I saw the segment and I tend to agree. I’ve wondered for a while now if UCF is the wrong team to be making the G5 argument. That’s not a knock against UCF at all. They’re having a great run and are a legit top 15 team, but they’re aren’t in the top 4.

The G5 argument would carry a lot more weight if there was a team like Houston from 2016 or Boise St from a few years ago in the mix.
11-17-2018 10:51 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The committee takes into very good consideration the last game a team played and no AAC school can get a statement non-conference win in November.
11-17-2018 10:57 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(11-17-2018 10:57 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The committee takes into very good consideration the last game a team played and no AAC school can get a statement non-conference win in November.

UAB is playing at Texas A&M today. That is a possible G5 statement win.
11-17-2018 11:01 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2018 11:01 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(11-17-2018 10:57 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The committee takes into very good consideration the last game a team played and no AAC school can get a statement non-conference win in November.

I don't understand how they were able to pull that one off.

The simple fact is a G5 can't just pull aside Alabama, Ohio State ect. and say play me in November. Auburn and Michigan automatically get those games.
11-17-2018 11:07 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(11-17-2018 10:51 AM)ArmyBlazer Wrote:  I saw the segment and I tend to agree. I’ve wondered for a while now if UCF is the wrong team to be making the G5 argument. That’s not a knock against UCF at all. They’re having a great run and are a legit top 15 team, but they’re aren’t in the top 4.

The G5 argument would carry a lot more weight if there was a team like Houston from 2016 or Boise St from a few years ago in the mix.

Excellent point. If Houston had run the table in 16 but denied by the CFP, that would have been a much more powerful indictment of the system than UCF now.

11-17-2018 11:19 AM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Herbrstreit says whatever they pay him to say. Disney networks are whipping up this 'controversy' to boost ratings. Jeezum, is there an actual reason beyond money that college football can't decide it's champion on the field like every other sport does?
11-17-2018 11:21 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

Wait until Nick Saban retires.

"Alright boys, I got my championships. You can have your expanded playoff now"
11-17-2018 11:25 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(11-17-2018 11:07 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

The simple fact is a G5 can't just pull aside Alabama, Ohio State ect. and say play me in November. Auburn and Michigan automatically get those games.

It doesn't have to be played in November, but you can do 1 and done in Sept/Oct against the Alabama's, Ohio St's, Auburn's and the like and still get credit.
11-17-2018 11:33 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(11-17-2018 10:24 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Houston would have likely made the playoffs in 16 if they ran the table because they beat Big 12 champ and ranked UL.

But if you don't play anyone you can win win 40 in a row and you don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Kudos to UCF though for a fantastic Gameday turnout.

Houston in 2016 is the only G5 team that might have had a legit chance. But we will never know if they would have been selected, so postulating they would have made it in hindsight as an argument for the CFP not being broken is disingenuous. The truth is the metrics will probably change in whatever way they need to in order to keep the G5 out. And they have a good one in strength of schedule they can always go to since any team in a G5 league will never have 8-9 guaranteed conference games against P5 teams.
11-17-2018 11:44 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2018 11:33 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-17-2018 11:07 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

It doesn't have to be played in November, but you can do 1 and done in Sept/Oct against the Alabama's, Ohio St's, Auburn's and the like and still get credit.

You didn't do anything but beat the shorts of Tulane that week.

Meanwhile the P5 loaded up with sexy wins.
11-17-2018 12:15 PM
Advertisement

otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Funny how they used the arguement that Houston was ranked 6 at one point. What they purposely left out was this this was not a CFP ranking. I am pretty sure that if there were CFP rankings during that week, they would be ranked 9 or 10 just like the rankings always initially do by ranking them back a few spots compared to the coaches and AP. Then, I could have totally have seen Houston hit a glass ceiling while other teams played a stronger "sos" later in the season.
11-17-2018 12:29 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Come on man. Of course Central Florida deserves a spot in the playoff. They've run the table for two years in a row. So what if they are couple spots behind teams in conferences with (more or less) automatic berths? Suspend the disbelief. Give them a shot. They've done all they can do.

And fix the playoff. Expand it so that more teams and conferences have access. Ideally 16 teams and automatic bids for all conferences, but let's at least go to eight and make sure the best of the G5 always has access.
11-17-2018 12:36 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(11-17-2018 12:29 PM)otown Wrote:  Funny how they used the arguement that Houston was ranked 6 at one point. What they purposely left out was this this was not a CFP ranking. I am pretty sure that if there were CFP rankings during that week, they would be ranked 9 or 10 just like the rankings always initially do by ranking them back a few spots compared to the coaches and AP. Then, I could have totally have seen Houston hit a glass ceiling while other teams played a stronger "sos" later in the season.

I think Houston would have made it in 2016, but sure, it's possible they would have been left out as well.

Point is, if Houston had run the table but been left out, that would have been much more compelling evidence that a G5 has literally no chance of getting in than UCF has been this year or last.
11-17-2018 12:38 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(11-17-2018 12:36 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Come on man. Of course Central Florida deserves a spot in the playoff. They've run the table for two years in a row. So what if they are couple spots behind teams in conferences with (more or less) automatic berths? Suspend the disbelief. Give them a shot. They've done all they can do.

OK, so who would you give them a spot instead of?

There's only four spots, so if you put one team in, you have to take one out. 05-nono
11-17-2018 12:39 PM
72Tiger Offline

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-17-2018 12:39 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-17-2018 12:36 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Come on man. Of course Central Florida deserves a spot in the playoff. They've run the table for two years in a row. So what if they are couple spots behind teams in conferences with (more or less) automatic berths? Suspend the disbelief. Give them a shot. They've done all they can do.

There's only four spots, so if you put one team in, you have to take one out. 05-nono

Easy. Alabama. As long as the system is a joke, it doesn't have to make any sense.
11-17-2018 12:55 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Alabama.

I’m cheering hard for Citadel to beat them...currently 10-10 at halftime
11-17-2018 01:19 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
You guys might be placing a jinx on UCF. Cincy is really close to being 10-0. OT loss to Temple and a game that UC was really dominating until the last few minutes of regulation.
11-17-2018 01:24 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
He was right. Houston showed the kind of schedule and result needed.

UCF just doesn’t have any statement wins. And, what they did last year just isn’t relevant to the conversation now.
11-17-2018 01:32 PM
72Tiger Offline

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(11-17-2018 01:19 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Alabama.

I’m cheering hard for Citadel to beat them...currently 10-10 at halftime

A prime example of one of those tough mid November strength of schedule games that will earn them a spot in the playoff. If only G5 schools could set up those kind of home games.
11-17-2018 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.