Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Hoops: Players sitting out this year / preseason trips
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Does your team have players sitting out this year (transfers, etc.) who expect to be major contributors next year?

Houston has two.

Justin Gorham is a 6-7 225 F who will be a junior. He transferred in from Towson State, where averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds as a sophomore. Sampson is really high on him, and has said he may be a our best three point shooter.

Caleb Mills is a 6-2 175 G who will be a freshman. He graduated early and enrolled at midterm. Had offers from ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big East schools. Sampson has said he may be the the best offensive player he's ever recruited at Houston.

=============

Will your team take a summer trip in 2019?

Sampson indicated at a recent radio show that Houston will plan a summer trip. Destination has not been revealed. You are allowed to take such a trip every four years. The team went to China before Galen Robinson's freshman season.
03-10-2019 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
RE: AAC Hoops: Players sitting out this year / preseason trips
(03-10-2019 07:03 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Does your team have players sitting out this year (transfers, etc.) who expect to be major contributors next year?

Houston has two.

Justin Gorham is a 6-7 225 F who will be a junior. He transferred in from Towson State, where averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds as a sophomore. Sampson is really high on him, and has said he may be a our best three point shooter.

Caleb Mills is a 6-2 175 G who will be a freshman. He graduated early and enrolled at midterm. Had offers from ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big East schools. Sampson has said he may be the the best offensive player he's ever recruited at Houston.

=============

Will your team take a summer trip in 2019?

Sampson indicated at a recent radio show that Houston will plan a summer trip. Destination has not been revealed. You are allowed to take such a trip every four years. The team went to China before Galen Robinson's freshman season.

That China trip was right before the start of the 20 win seasons. Was huge for Samson to get to know the team and establishing his culture. Think another trip could really help the next batch fill the shoes of Galen and Corey
03-10-2019 07:08 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Hearing Hurley has been working Akok real hard. Should be real big next season!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 07:17 PM by HuskyU.)
03-10-2019 07:11 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
Wichita has Teddy Allen sitting out. Will likely be our best offensive player. According to Marshall he's been unstoppable in practice this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-10-2019 07:16 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

everyone but cincy and ecu has someone sitting out ... i could rank them for the LOL of it but i know people will get heated
03-10-2019 07:24 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(03-10-2019 07:24 PM)pesik Wrote:  everyone but cincy and ecu has someone sitting out ... i could rank them for the LOL of it but i know people will get heated

That's never stopped you before...
03-10-2019 07:25 PM
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2019 07:16 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  Wichita has Teddy Allen sitting out. Will likely be our best offensive player. According to Marshall he's been unstoppable in practice this year.

Sounds like a good replacement for McDuffie.

Congrats to the Shocks for getting to 10 conference wins after starting 1-6.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 07:36 PM by CougarRed.)
03-10-2019 07:35 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Ryan Boyce - 6-6 / 185 lbs G (3*)
Played on the 2017-18 East High basketball team that won the Class AAA state championship. Current Tigers' teammate Alex Lomax was the point guard on that East High squad. . . . Before joining East High for his senior season, played for Houston High and averaged 14.5 points and 10 rebounds as a junior. . . . Is an athletic wing player and an outside shooting threat. . . . Originally signed a national letter of intent with UAB in the fall of 2017, but was released from the NLI to join the Memphis program and reunite with Lomax and coach Penny Hardaway. He is a walk-on for 2018-19 season.

Lance Thomas 6-8 / 224 lbs F (4*)
2017-18 Season (Louisville)
Averaged 2.2 points and 1.3 rebounds in the 12 games he played for the Cardinals as a freshman. . . . Played a season-high 10 minutes in games against Pittsburgh and Bryant. In the win over Bryant, he posted career-highs in points (10) and rebounds (7). . . . Made his debut against Southern Illinois and finished with five points and three rebounds in seven minutes. . . . Transferred after the season to Memphis and will have three years of eligibility remaining.

High School (Norcross)
Helped Norcross (Ga.) High to a 26-6 record as a senior and a berth in the Georgia Class 7A state championship game. Scored 13 points in the title game. . . . Averaged 9.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots during the season. . . . Selected first-team All-Region 7 selection as a junior and senior, a second-team Atlanta Tipoff Club All-Metro Atlanta choice and an all-county pick. . . . Was ranked No. 117 in the national composite by 247Sports.com, No. 142 by Rivals.com and the 21st-best power forward in the nation by Scout.com. . . . As a junior, he averaged 8.3 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots in helping Norcross to a 26-4 record and the Georgia Class AAAAAAA Sweet 16. . . . As a sophomore in 2014-15, Thomas helped Norcross to a 27-4 record, a Region 8 championship and the Class AAAAAA Georgia state quarterfinals.

Jayden Hardaway 6-5 / 195 lbs G (2*)
Is the son of Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway. . . . During the 2016-17 season, he played at East High in Memphis and contributed to the team's 2017 Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Class AAA state championship. . . . He played last season for IMG Academy's post-graduate team in Bradenton, Florida. . . . Scored 25 points in a 126-123 win over Miami Dade Community College in November 2017. . . . Before attending East High during the 2016-17 season, he spent his junior season at Miami Palmetto, where he averaged 12.1 points per game. At Palmetto, he wore jersey No. 1, the same number his father wore played for the NBA's Orlando Magic in the 1990s.

David Wingett (injured) 6-7 / 200 G/F (3*)
Wingett led Winnebago (Nebraska) High School to the 2015 Class C-1 state championship and averaged 20.8 points and 4.9 rebounds during his career. . . . He finished his career at Winnebago as the second-leading scorer in Nebraska prep history with more than 2,200 points. . . . A left-handed shooter, he is a Native American and a member of the Winnebago Tribe. . . . He spent a post-graduate year last season at Bull City Prep Academy in Durham, N.C., where he averaged 25.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. . . . . . At Bull City, he was an effective shooter from beyond the arc, where he shot 47 percent. In a Nov. 18 victory over Orangeburg Prep Academy (S.C.), Wingett went 8-of-8 from three-point range.

https://gotigersgo.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 07:43 PM by Tiger1983.)
03-10-2019 07:40 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Of those four, who do Memphis fans expect to be major contributors next year?

Boyce and Thomas (judging from the offer lists)?
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 07:57 PM by CougarRed.)
03-10-2019 07:56 PM
Doglando Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(03-10-2019 07:24 PM)pesik Wrote:  everyone but cincy and ecu has someone sitting out ... i could rank them for the LOL of it but i know people will get heated

prince gilliam? laquill hardnett?
03-10-2019 08:08 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2019 08:08 PM)Doglando Wrote:  

They are mediocre offer list freshman redshirting at Cincy for sure.
03-10-2019 08:13 PM
Advertisement

rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(03-10-2019 08:13 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  

They are mediocre offer list freshman redshirting at Cincy for sure.

True dat.
03-10-2019 08:18 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

i wasnt counting freshmen who were red-shirted becuase they werent good enough to play this season

i was more thinking we meant transfers, gray shirts, and early enrolles
03-10-2019 08:18 PM
Doglando Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(03-10-2019 08:18 PM)pesik Wrote:  

i wasnt counting freshmen who were red-shirted becuase they werent good enough to play this season

i was more thinking we meant transfers, gray shirts, and early enrolles

fair enough. Either way i'm curious for your list or at least a top 5 or 10
03-10-2019 08:23 PM
steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
(03-10-2019 07:56 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Of those four, who do Memphis fans expect to be major contributors next year?

Yes ... Those are the main 2 ... The other 2 ... who knows !!
03-10-2019 08:36 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

the list would be: ranking on the impact i think they make next year

1) akok akok (uconn)- top 30 big recruit, early enrollee

2) Teddy Allen (wichita)- transfer- key player/guard on an elite WVU team

3) James monty Scott (temple)- transfer- 18pts per 6'5 guard transfer from kennessaw state

4) Justin Gorham & Caleb Mills - (Houston/in the OP)- transfer and early enrollee

5) Zack Dawson (USF)- transfer, #76 in the espn 100 originally OKstae till dismal, 6'3 Guard

6a) Lance Thomas & Ryan Boyce (Memphis/transfer and gray shirt)- thomas was bench in previous school but touted (top 130 4star big)

6b) Yuat Alok & Ibrahim Doumbia (UCF/transfers)- Former #1 juco big/TCU Transfer (mid-year eligibility)/ ibr. is a former 4star pf from south Carolina..both bench in previous locations....

--tough to rank 6, yuat is only a mid year enrollee...but thomas will be blanketed with depth

8) ray ona embo & Jordan Walker (tulane) (medical redhsirt and transfer)- embo starting pg for tulane in 2018. held out for medical reasons. walker is a 4star on rivals (composite 3star) not productive at seton hall but internet famous for style of play

9) Reggie Jones (tulsa)- 6'6 guard 10pt per scorer from WMU

10) Isiah Jasey (smu) 3 star big transfer from a&m who was bench (mid-year eligibility)
03-10-2019 08:36 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-10-2019 08:36 PM)steves Wrote:  
(03-10-2019 07:56 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Of those four, who do Memphis fans expect to be major contributors next year?

Yes ... Those are the main 2 ... The other 2 ... who knows !!

Agree. Boyce and Thomas.
03-10-2019 10:48 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
(03-10-2019 08:36 PM)pesik Wrote:  the list would be: ranking on the impact i think they make next year

3) James monty Scott (temple)- transfer- 18pts per 6'5 guard transfer from kennessaw state

4) Justin Gorham & Caleb Mills - (Houston/in the OP)- transfer and early enrollee

5) Zack Dawson (USF)- transfer, #76 in the espn 100 originally OKstae till dismal, 6'3 Guard

6a) Lance Thomas & Ryan Boyce (Memphis/transfer and gray shirt)- thomas was bench in previous school but touted (top 130 4star big)

6b) Yuat Alok & Ibrahim Doumbia (UCF/transfers)- Former #1 juco big/TCU Transfer (mid-year eligibility)/ ibr. is a former 4star pf from south Carolina..both bench in previous locations....

--tough to rank 6, yuat is only a mid year enrollee...but thomas will be blanketed with depth

8) ray ona embo & Jordan Walker (tulane) (medical redhsirt and transfer)- embo starting pg for tulane in 2018. held out for medical reasons. walker is a 4star on rivals (composite 3star) not productive at seton hall but internet famous for style of play

10) Isiah Jasey (smu) 3 star big transfer from a&m who was bench (mid-year eligibility)

Ona Embo is a top 2/3 player on this list. He would've been Tulane's leading scorer this year.

Dawson definitely should be ranked above both Houston players at least.
03-11-2019 06:55 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(03-11-2019 06:55 AM)BrooklynRocket Wrote:  
(03-10-2019 08:36 PM)pesik Wrote:  the list would be: ranking on the impact i think they make next year

Ona Embo is a top 2/3 player on this list. He would've been Tulane's leading scorer this year.

when i ranked, i ranked on their impact on the team and their impact on winning games next season.. i think tulane will still be losing a lot of game with ona embo next season

and everyone for usf is returning, no clue where Dawson would fit in yet....sampson has already stated Gorham will get "starter minutes" if not the actual starter and called him his "dream big" who "leaves some of practice looking like the best player"...coaches have been hyping mills aswell, he will be 1st guard of the bench, starter if any guard injured
03-11-2019 10:00 AM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
(03-11-2019 10:00 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 06:55 AM)BrooklynRocket Wrote:  

when i ranked, i ranked on their impact on the team and their impact on winning games next season.. i think tulane will still be losing a lot of game with ona embo next season

and everyone for usf is returning, no clue where Dawson would fit in yet....sampson has already stated Gorham will get "starter minutes" if not the actual starter and called him his "dream big" who "leaves some of practice looking like the best player"...coaches have been hyping mills aswell, he will be 1st guard of the bench, starter if any guard injured

Lol, your ranking system is out of whack even though I kinda get what you were going for - some subjective combo of projected individual performance and team performance.

At minimum, Dawson will likely take Lang's minutes (20/game) as the first guard/wing off the bench and could possibly supplant Justin Brown in the starting lineup.

I personally don't see a low-major non-superstar transfer and regular 3-star freshman having a bigger impact than Dawson on a team with so much projected depth but it remains to be seen.
03-11-2019 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.