Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
WAC/ Southland Question: Why does Incarnate Word have Realignment Body Odor?
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
One of the reasons given for Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F Austin and Abilene Christian jumping to the WAC is that the other Southland schools are not spending money on athletics.

But, looking at Equity in Athletics, UIW is spending $20M, $10M on scholarships and $10M in real money.
Lamar is spending $18M, $6M in scholarships and $12M in real money.

What's so bad about Incarnate Word that schools are jumping from one bottom-feeding one-bid FCS conference to another to get away from them?
01-02-2021 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

michael.stevens.3110 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
I was just in San Antonio .....Incarnate Word is a Great Institution in an Excellent location ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
01-02-2021 06:32 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
RE: WAC/ Southland Question: Why does Incarnate Word have Realignment Body Odor?
I think they want to get away from the LA schools more than UIW.
01-02-2021 06:44 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: WAC/ Southland Question: Why does Incarnate Word have Realignment Body Odor?
(01-02-2021 06:44 PM)whittx Wrote:  I think they want to get away from the LA schools more than UIW.

UIW's facilities are light years aways from being acceptable. The big 4 wanted Abilene Christian, Angelo State, Commerce, Kingsville, West Texas A&M, Tarleton State and Midwestern State as replacements instead of Houston Baptist, New Orleans and UIW in 2012.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021 06:57 PM by DavidSt.)
01-02-2021 06:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(01-02-2021 06:56 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 06:44 PM)whittx Wrote:  I think they want to get away from the LA schools more than UIW.

UIW's facilities are light years aways from being acceptable. The big 4 wanted Abilene Christian, Angelo State, Commerce, Kingsville, West Texas A&M, Tarleton State and Midwestern State as replacements instead of Houston Baptist, New Orleans and UIW in 2012.

Besides ACUs football stadium are any of those schools facilities any better?
01-02-2021 07:09 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-02-2021 07:09 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Well, if Abilene Christian U has a sweet-for-FCS stadium etc, while UIW is barely-good-enough, that starts to explain why the three east Texas state schools chose ACU over UIW as their partner in this zany scheme.
01-02-2021 07:12 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

Tarleton State and West Texas A&M yes with Kingsville and Commerce spent money recently on their facilities. Even Texas Southern, Prairie View, Central Oklahoma and Colorado Mesa spent money on their facilities.I think Angelo State's facilities and Midwestern State is better than Houston Baptist and New Orleans, even UTPB is spending money on their facilities to offer more sports and scholarships.
01-02-2021 07:15 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(01-02-2021 07:12 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Well, if Abilene Christian U has a sweet-for-FCS stadium etc, while UIW is barely-good-enough, that starts to explain why the three east Texas state schools chose ACU over UIW as their partner in this zany scheme.

I mean to be fair SHSU and SFAs stadiums are pretty terrible too. They just happen to be a bit bigger.

Lamars is nice
01-02-2021 07:16 PM
Bench Warmer

I would take BOTH ..San Antonio is an awesome town for college athletics

01-02-2021 07:16 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2021 07:12 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Someone posted about ACU is going to spend money to upgrade their facilities including expanding the stadium to hold more for football. They are west Texas to be part of the bridge.
01-02-2021 07:18 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(01-02-2021 07:15 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Tarleton State and West Texas A&M yes with Kingsville and Commerce spent money recently on their facilities. Even Texas Southern, Prairie View, Central Oklahoma and Colorado Mesa spent money on their facilities.I think Angelo State's facilities and Midwestern State is better than Houston Baptist and New Orleans, even UTPB is spending money on their facilities to offer more sports and scholarships.

Id agree with WTAMU, but Tarleton no. Their stadium has improved but I still dont think its that great.
01-02-2021 07:29 PM
Advertisement

Bench Warmer

ACU’s New Stadium is head and shoulders above most of their peer group

01-02-2021 07:31 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(01-02-2021 07:31 PM)michael.stevens.3110 Wrote:  ACU’s New Stadium is head and shoulders above most of their peer group

For sure, definitely the best in the Southland. WTAMUs looks almost the same. Id say Prairie Views is the best non FBS stadium in the state though. After those 3 Id say UMHBs is the next best.
01-02-2021 08:12 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Don't high schools in Texas have better stadiums than most of the low level colleges?
01-03-2021 12:28 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(01-03-2021 12:28 AM)Todor Wrote:  Don't high schools in Texas have better stadiums than most of the low level colleges?
Yes. High school football is a big deal in Texas.

Still some of these Texas d2 schools have 15k capacity and could slide into an FCS conference no problem.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 12:57 AM by chrisattsu.)
01-03-2021 12:48 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

(01-02-2021 07:29 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Id agree with WTAMU, but Tarleton no. Their stadium has improved but I still dont think its that great.
Tarletons stadium was rough. The first round of expansion has made things more pleasing and the large video board definitely helps. The next round of expansion has already been identified.

Its still on par or better than some of the facilities in the Southland.

I've been to UIWs stadium and Gym a few times. UIWs stadium isn't any better than it was as D2. Their basketball gym feels like a rec gym
01-03-2021 12:56 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(01-03-2021 12:56 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 06:56 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  UIW's facilities are light years aways from being acceptable. The big 4 wanted Abilene Christian, Angelo State, Commerce, Kingsville, West Texas A&M, Tarleton State and Midwestern State as replacements instead of Houston Baptist, New Orleans and UIW in 2012.

Tarletons stadium was rough. The first round of expansion has made things more pleasing and the large video board definitely helps. The next round of expansion has already been identified.

I've been to UIWs stadium and Gym a few times. UIWs stadium isn't any better than it was as D2. Their basketball gym feels like a rec gym

Yea I'd agree with all of that. But to be fair other than ACU, Lamar, and maybe McNeese i dont think any of the SLC stadiums are good.
01-03-2021 01:22 AM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

(01-03-2021 01:22 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 07:09 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Besides ACUs football stadium are any of those schools facilities any better?

Yea I'd agree with all of that. But to be fair other than ACU, Lamar, and maybe McNeese i dont think any of the SLC stadiums are good.

When Sam Houston State and SFAU studied to go FBS around 2010/11? They were looking to joining the WAC FBS conference at the time and to expand and upgrade their facilities. Lamar was more ready to join the WAC than UTSA since they restarted football first before UTSA did. If the WAC sent an invite to Lamar, SHSU and SFAU back at the same time period as UTSA, UTA and Texas State? Would those three stayed while the WAC snatch North Texas as well? Idaho would still be FBS.

WAC football:
New Mexico State
Idaho
UTSA
Texas State
North Texas
Lamar
Sam Houston State
SFAU

Non Football:
UTRGV
Grand Canyon
Utah Valley

Future:
West Texas A&M
Dixie State
ACU
Tarleton State

That would leave UCS-Bakersfield, Seattle, NJTU and Chicago State in the Great West which they could try and get D2 schools move up then. You get 12/15 or 13/15 when UTRGV adds football. It seems that UTRGV will be announcing soon from the rumors coming out.
01-03-2021 08:08 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(01-03-2021 08:08 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 07:15 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Tarleton State and West Texas A&M yes with Kingsville and Commerce spent money recently on their facilities. Even Texas Southern, Prairie View, Central Oklahoma and Colorado Mesa spent money on their facilities.I think Angelo State's facilities and Midwestern State is better than Houston Baptist and New Orleans, even UTPB is spending money on their facilities to offer more sports and scholarships.

When Sam Houston State and SFAU studied to go FBS around 2010/11? They were looking to joining the WAC FBS conference at the time and to expand and upgrade their facilities. Lamar was more ready to join the WAC than UTSA since they restarted football first before UTSA did. If the WAC sent an invite to Lamar, SHSU and SFAU back at the same time period as UTSA, UTA and Texas State? Would those three stayed while the WAC snatch North Texas as well? Idaho would still be FBS.

WAC football:
New Mexico State
Idaho
UTSA
Texas State
North Texas
Lamar
Sam Houston State
SFAU

Non Football:
UTRGV
Grand Canyon
Utah Valley

Future:
West Texas A&M
Dixie State
ACU
Tarleton State

That would leave UCS-Bakersfield, Seattle, NJTU and Chicago State in the Great West which they could try and get D2 schools move up then. You get 12/15 or 13/15 when UTRGV adds football. It seems that UTRGV will be announcing soon from the rumors coming out.

UNT thinks way too highly of themselves to have joined that conference. I dont blame them either. I guess in this scenario SJSU, USU, and LA Tech left the WAC a year earlier?
01-03-2021 08:15 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

(01-03-2021 08:15 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 08:08 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 07:29 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Id agree with WTAMU, but Tarleton no. Their stadium has improved but I still dont think its that great.

WAC football:
New Mexico State
Idaho
UTSA
Texas State
North Texas
Lamar
Sam Houston State
SFAU

Non Football:
UTRGV
Grand Canyon
Utah Valley

Future:
West Texas A&M
Dixie State
ACU
Tarleton State

UNT thinks way too highly of themselves to have joined that conference. I dont blame them either. I guess in this scenario SJSU, USU, and LA Tech left the WAC a year earlier?

Agreed. Karl Benson (former WAC and SBC commish) reached out to UNT to join the WAc after the Boise, Hawaii and Fresno departures. They wanted nothing to do with Texas State and UTSA. Even now they still do not want anything to do with the Bobcats.

I think SFA, Sam, and Lamar watched TXST, UtSa, and UT Arlington move on and saw the impact it had on their schools. Each had new facilities and in the conferences these schools want to be in.

While Sam has been to the FCS Championship game twice and SFA has made name for itself in basketball, they are still not being mentioned for Sun Belt or CUSA expansion.

The Southland has tapped out potential for them. It will always be a league centered along the Sabine River and it is not getting any better. Moving on changes the direction of the institution, gives them a shiny toy to dangle at donors for capital projects and eventually makes them more palatable for these other conferences
01-03-2021 09:42 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.