Little Rock (AR)
UT-Martin (TN)
Tenn State (TN)
Tenn Tech (TN)
SIU-Edwardsville (IL)
SMSU (MO)
Eastern Illinois (IL)
Morehead State (KY)

5 of these schools have football so they need one more football school at least.

Would Western Illinois give up the MVFC to join the OVC for all sports?
What about Chicago State?
UTA?
What would be the ultimate number of schools? 10? 11? 12?
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022 08:36 PM by shizzle787.)
01-05-2022 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: OVC expansion
The big advantage we (Chicago St) has is if we get the ball rolling on football. That could singlehandedly backdoor our way into the OVC or MEAC.

I've always felt the OVC would add USI no matter what. Their new arena is absolutely beautiful, and Evansville already hosts the OVC Tournament.
01-05-2022 08:30 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
The league would sure have a heavy dose of Illinois if WIU and Chicago State join. I would think that would be positive for getting those schools to join in this age of shrinking travel budgets.
01-05-2022 08:33 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I’m sure Chicago State would take OVC membership in a heartbeat. The challenge would be to see if that would be reciprocated.

With every OVC defection, the less it makes sense for WIU. Giving up a spot in the MVFC to go to the OVC would be the FCS equivalent of going from a P5 league to a G5 league that just had a bunch of defections. What might have made sense on paper 5 years ago (or even 5 months ago) now doesn’t make any sense at all.
01-05-2022 08:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Lets not forget Grand Valley State. Adding Chicago State might be what would be work for travel partners.
01-05-2022 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(01-05-2022 09:06 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Lets not forget Grand Valley State. Adding Chicago State might be what would be work for travel partners.

Matt Brown listed Hillsdale College as well that currently plays D2 football.

Tenn Tech was previously rumored to be looking at the ASUN.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022 09:11 PM by EKUSteve.)
01-05-2022 09:10 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I just hope that the OVC has a good plan on how to deal with this. Murray State leaving was certainly not a surprise. As a LR fan, I couldn't imagine we would commit to the OVC without some assurances that they had a plan moving forward.
01-05-2022 09:10 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Here’s how I see it playing out—

Murray St is going to affiliate with the ASUN for football, giving them 6

UIC goes to the MVC

Horizon replaces UIC with Bellarmine

ASUN is down to 10—(5/5+1); they add 2 OVC football schools

OVC is effectively toast as a football conference.
01-05-2022 09:11 PM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
The list of schools that I know are at least on the OVC hot board at the moment:

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana
University of Indianapolis

It's possible there are others, but those are the ones I've heard from OVC ADs and central office personnel. Not totally sure how to handicap it all yet, honestly
01-05-2022 10:21 PM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-05-2022 10:21 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  The list of schools that I know are at least on the OVC hot board at the moment:

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

It's possible there are others, but those are the ones I've heard from OVC ADs and central office personnel. Not totally sure how to handicap it all yet, honestly

I have a hard time seeing Arkansas Pine Bluff leaving the HBCU SWAC that has schools in Florida and Texas to join the OVC with schools mainly in Tennessee and Illinois.
01-05-2022 10:25 PM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-05-2022 10:21 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  The list of schools that I know are at least on the OVC hot board at the moment:

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

Chicago State is not an option? If not, is the MEAC their most likely home?
01-05-2022 10:25 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(01-05-2022 09:06 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Lets not forget Grand Valley State. Adding Chicago State might be what would be work for travel partners.

You've been saying for months there's talk about Grand Valley State to the OVC but you never give the evidence. Where is that talk happening? Why would GVSU want to go to the OVC; the travel is bad. The closest OVC member is 324 miles, 2 members are well over 400 miles, all the other remaining members are over 500 miles, and Little Rock is 792 miles away. GVSU is in an almost all-Michigan conference and they will be adding 2 sports in 2023.

Now tell us what is your rationale for Grand Valley State going to D1 and the OVC.

(01-05-2022 09:10 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  Matt Brown listed Hillsdale College as well that currently plays D2 football.

Tenn Tech was previously rumored to be looking at the ASUN.

I highly doubt Hillsdale College would be interested in moving to the OVC or even D1 at all. One of the top reasons they left the GLIAC for the GMAC was to be with like-minded small private schools. There's none of that in their area with football. The OVC will be all public schools when Belmont leaves and the Horizon has only 2 private schools.
01-05-2022 10:33 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

Hillsdale just downgraded to the GMAC—now they want to go up to D1?
01-05-2022 10:34 PM
BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

I think USI and GVSU could be great additions coming up from DII. For a 10th member I'd push for Indianapolis or WIU.
01-05-2022 11:21 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WIU ( geography, travel) would be smart to join the OVC in all but FB (keep in MVFC).

USI would be a good add.

The others listed have lots of questions.

OVC FB will die-- no need for GVSU.
01-06-2022 03:48 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-05-2022 10:25 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

Chicago State is not an option? If not, is the MEAC their most likely home?

The OVC is seriously looking at Hillsdale College??? FWIW, Hillsdale College is a lot like Pensacola Christian College to me. Both won't take any $$'s from the federal government. That is just how they operate. The OVC looking at Hillsdale College to me is like the A-Sun looking at Pensacola Christian College. Definitely interesting!!
01-06-2022 04:26 AM
Advertisement

jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(01-06-2022 03:48 AM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  WIU ( geography, travel) would be smart to join the OVC in all but FB (keep in MVFC).

USI would be a good add.

The others listed have lots of questions.

OVC FB will die-- no need for GVSU.
Without FB, the OVC dies unless they add soccer.

I'd think it more likely that Eastern Illinois goes to the Summit, than Western Illinois goes to the OVC.
01-06-2022 11:04 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(01-05-2022 10:33 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

You've been saying for months there's talk about Grand Valley State to the OVC but you never give the evidence. Where is that talk happening? Why would GVSU want to go to the OVC; the travel is bad. The closest OVC member is 324 miles, 2 members are well over 400 miles, all the other remaining members are over 500 miles, and Little Rock is 792 miles away. GVSU is in an almost all-Michigan conference and they will be adding 2 sports in 2023.

Now tell us what is your rationale for Grand Valley State going to D1 and the OVC.

Props to David. He is right.

Western Illinois
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Grand Valley State
Hillsdale College
Lincoln Memorial
Southern Indiana

01-06-2022 11:16 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Around 2011-2013, a fair handful of ETSU fans wanted them to join the OVC instead of the SoCon. Some UTC fans wanted to leave the SoCon for the OVC, too. I guess they no longer feel that way.
01-06-2022 12:49 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Small contributions ...

WIU is the last remaining founding member from way back of what became the Summit League. The only reason they ever discussed the OVC was football, and IMO that's gone with being surrounded in the MVFC by MoST, IllSt, SIU, NIowa and (if they get in) MurraySt. They also just hired a new HC to rebuild the program.

Southern Indiana has not discussed starting up football. They are spending/have spent $60-70 million upgrading everything else (haven't checked in a while, but they had a really impressive plan for their bball stadium).
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 05:54 PM by pvk75.)
01-06-2022 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.