Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is a fair amount to release ODU USM and Marshall?
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
What is a fair amount to release ODU USM and Marshall?
We are talking releasing them with 8 month notice instead of 14 so 6 months early.
02-02-2022 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: What is a fair amount to release ODU USM and Marshall?
(02-02-2022 09:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  We are talking releasing them with 8 month notice instead of 14 so 6 months early.

How about they just live up to the contractual obligation that they signed and agreed to instead? Yeah, that would work.
02-02-2022 09:18 PM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
I'd say 4 new tires and topping off the battery charge on Judy's jeep should do the trick.
02-02-2022 09:24 PM
DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

In a courtroom the party breaking the written contract is responsible for treble (triple) damages, plus court costs and attorney fees for both parties. So if they could afford 3X the contracted amount plus expenses, that is their other option. I'll bet their attorney has already told them "Do yourself a favor and just live up to the contract. Oh, and I'll need you to refresh my retainer today."
02-02-2022 09:30 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
I’d say an additional 1 million paid each to the remaining 5.
02-02-2022 09:44 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
One way to look at this is that there are 9 teams leaving CUSA that could part as friends and perhaps there are future scheduling opportunities there, or CUSA could really stick it to them and CUSA's OOC games will be against the SWAC.
02-02-2022 11:44 PM
Advertisement

FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
(02-02-2022 09:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  We are talking releasing them with 8 month notice instead of 14 so 6 months early.

$3 Trillion dollars...and your first born.
02-03-2022 12:07 AM
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(02-02-2022 09:18 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  

How about they just live up to the contractual obligation that they signed and agreed to instead? Yeah, that would work.
Serious question. Has CUSA benefited from any other premature defector? Has it been consistent throughout? If CUSA has gotten everything from those members, then the three should do their due diligence. If not, why did CUSA not follow through then? I'm not knowledgeable of the history on previous departing teams. I'd have an issue abiding by any written contracts too, if they haven't been enforced consistently historically.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022 12:40 AM by TealNation.)
02-03-2022 12:39 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(02-02-2022 11:44 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  One way to look at this is that there are 9 teams leaving CUSA that could part as friends and perhaps there are future scheduling opportunities there, or CUSA could really stick it to them and CUSA's OOC games will be against the SWAC.

Well... STICK IT TO THEM!!!

P.S.-- The OC games against the SWAC comment is RIDICULOUS. There are plenty of OC choices.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022 12:45 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
02-03-2022 12:42 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(02-02-2022 11:44 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  One way to look at this is that there are 9 teams leaving CUSA that could part as friends and perhaps there are future scheduling opportunities there, or CUSA could really stick it to them and CUSA's OOC games will be against the SWAC.

Stick it to them. We have no interest in playing them ooc. Hell we hardly ever played Marshall and we've been in the same conference for almost 20 years.
02-03-2022 06:32 AM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

02-03-2022 06:40 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-02-2022 09:30 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  In a courtroom the party breaking the written contract is responsible for treble (triple) damages, plus court costs and attorney fees for both parties. So if they could afford 3X the contracted amount plus expenses, that is their other option. I'll bet their attorney has already told them "Do yourself a favor and just live up to the contract. Oh, and I'll need you to refresh my retainer today."

Uh…bull****. Typically state laws don’t allow for punitive damages awarded in breach of contract cases.

The contracted amount for exit fees seems to be two years of conference distributions which we will forfeit whether we’re here or not. So what are the damages caused to the conference for leaving early? The CFP pool money shouldn’t be any different except possibly in the part related to performance but that would be difficult to prove that the three teams leaving will push CUSA down a ring on the G5 latter in 2022 final standings. Should be plenty of content to provide TV partners with 11 teams. The amount received from TV is pretty paltry in the first place and won’t go to zero so if there is a reduction in 2022 it’s minimal. Basketball credits won’t change. Increased travel expenses? It seems that historically CUSA hasn’t sought damages for schools leaving early so that’s not in the conferences favor.

They’ll negotiate a settlement, a million? Maybe a little less maybe a little more. And we’ll be gone in September
02-03-2022 08:42 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
You must follow the bylaws.

What does the bylaws say?

I dunno.
02-03-2022 08:45 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(02-03-2022 08:45 AM)gdunn Wrote:  You must follow the bylaws.

What does the bylaws say?

I dunno.
I think that's the rub. Nothing really concrete in the by laws about what the penalty should be for 8 instead of 14 notice and there's some dispute I guess.

I think we settle in the nimble like mturn said.
02-03-2022 09:01 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators

I don’t think Judy should be fair. Her fiduciary responsibility is to C-USA, and not the teams departing to the Sunbelt or AAC. She should position for every dollar she can extract from any program wanting out early.
02-03-2022 09:09 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(02-03-2022 08:42 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(02-02-2022 09:30 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  In a courtroom the party breaking the written contract is responsible for treble (triple) damages, plus court costs and attorney fees for both parties. So if they could afford 3X the contracted amount plus expenses, that is their other option. I'll bet their attorney has already told them "Do yourself a favor and just live up to the contract. Oh, and I'll need you to refresh my retainer today."

Uh…bull****. Typically state laws don’t allow for punitive damages awarded in breach of contract cases.

A company I have done business with for over twenty years is located in Indiana. When I dealt with that sort of thing I saw that they were awarded treble damages on a regular basis for breach of contract cases.
02-03-2022 09:22 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(02-03-2022 09:09 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

I don’t think Judy should be fair. Her fiduciary responsibility is to C-USA, and not the teams departing to the Sunbelt or AAC. She should position for every dollar she can extract from any program wanting out early.

And that's fair. But the issue is there's a statement in the bylaws that say that there should be monetary consideration for it. But what is fair. Is it the same amount that's being with held from conference distribution? In my mind that's fair. That would be $1.5 million in hand from each school plus the 2 years.

You can't demand an exuberant amount when the distribution amount isn't that high.
02-03-2022 09:23 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(02-03-2022 09:09 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  

If only she had been so eager to perform in this manner since inception.
02-03-2022 09:26 AM
Roy Munson Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
a flat $1M seems fair to me.

paid out in $100 monthly payments- paid up by the year 2855.

Steady, recurring cash flow baby!
02-03-2022 09:27 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-03-2022 09:22 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  
(02-03-2022 08:42 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

A company I have done business with for over twenty years is located in Indiana. When I dealt with that sort of thing I saw that they were awarded treble damages on a regular basis for breach of contract cases.

My understanding is it’s rare but I’m not an attorney. In my experience you’re typically looking at compensatory damages and legal fees. Basically you should be made whole, nothing more. Maybe an Indiana statute allows for it, not sure I see the civic interest in allowing punitive damages, especially to that degree, for disagreements in private party contracts.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022 09:42 AM by mturn017.)
02-03-2022 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.