Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Have you had to disown family members and/or friends due to politics?
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
Have you had to disown family members and/or friends due to politics?
I'm sure there will be variety of responses to this one.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2023 11:48 PM by andybible1995.)
08-19-2023 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Have you disowned family members due to politics?
I have never, and would never, disown someone as family because of politics.

I would extend that to friends as well.
08-19-2023 01:36 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-19-2023 01:36 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I have never, and would never, disown someone as family because of politics.

Same here. I have had it done to me, but would not do it to anyone else.
08-19-2023 01:40 PM
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
I don't have any family that needs disowned.
08-19-2023 01:42 PM
WalkThePlank Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Have you disowned family members due to politics?
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-19-2023 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I don't talk politics with my family. Don't really do it with friends either. Doesn't seem fun.
08-19-2023 02:04 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
My sister and I are very close, and I'm also somewhat close to her daughter.

Both of them are lefties. Not progressives, but way left of me. Mostly on one issue, abortion, but they only listen to left wing media. My sister thinks Rachel Maddow is not biased. She is far enough left that she just let it slip that both of them will move to Scotland if Trump wins. And she was serious.

My niece is engaged to a man from Scotland, and she was indoctrinated in a California university 25 years ago.

The only way we survive is to not talk politics, but neither of us would disown the other. Although moving to Scotland would basically do the same thing. I doubt she would do it when push came to shove, though, but she is absolutely Orange Man Bad. Worse than AM, lol. And she thinks the Dems don't do anything wrong.
08-19-2023 02:25 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I have a decent amount of conservative friends, mainly over 50ish, that are also Orange man bad.
08-19-2023 02:57 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I haven't and doubt the vast majority here will say they have.

Most people I know fit mostly or completely in 1 of 4 groups:

1. Anti-establishment Trumpy Republicans.

2. More traditional Republicans.

3. Younger progressive Dems that don't really like Biden and are more left on economics.

4. Older MSNBC Biden bot Democrats that tends to care more about social issues and don't understand why the people in group #3 don't enthusiastically showing up to vote Biden.

Group #3 gets a bad rap, but group #4 easily takes first place for being the most self-righteous and being the most likely to attribute political differences to immorality, which is what causes political differences to mess up personal relationships. People may not agree, but that's my experience.
08-19-2023 02:59 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-19-2023 01:36 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I have never, and would never, disown someone as family because of politics.

Agreed. I think its ridiculous. People are more than their political beliefs.
We have some very different viewpoints in our family.
08-19-2023 03:01 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Politics no. Being an all around *******, yes.
08-19-2023 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-19-2023 02:25 PM)TripleA Wrote:  My sister and I are very close, and I'm also somewhat close to her daughter.

Both of them are lefties. Not progressives, but way left of me. Mostly on one issue, abortion, but they only listen to left wing media. My sister thinks Rachel Maddow is not biased. She is far enough left that she just let it slip that both of them will move to Scotland if Trump wins. And she was serious.

My niece is engaged to a man from Scotland, and she was indoctrinated in a California university 25 years ago.

The only way we survive is to not talk politics, but neither of us would disown the other. Although moving to Scotland would basically do the same thing. I doubt she would do it when push came to shove, though, but she is absolutely Orange Man Bad. Worse than AM, lol. And she thinks the Dems don't do anything wrong.

One of my nieces was talking about moving to New Zealand in 2016, but her very conservative cousins talked her off the ledge.
08-19-2023 03:03 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I haven't but my clan has a liberal wing that disowned all the rest of us. Haven't talked to any of them since about, well, 2016.
08-19-2023 03:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I started disowning my old friends whom we partied with a lot after seeing my Compa's facebook posts. It would make me mad because I couldn't believe he could be so dumb even if he is, but that's another story. He called a few times and I would ghost him but he insisted and I finally relented by returning his call but I texted him instead. When we didn't use to talk politics we were entirely fine but me being me I would bring up the subject even knowing that it would create tension. I've since learned my lesson, I don't talk about politics or religion, another subject where he is completely lost, example: he prays to his mother.

I had a really bad argument with my SIL who is very, very Democrat. I stopped talking about politics with her and we get along fine like that. She has proven to be a Godsend in the caring of my wife when she comes. They talk about girl things and on the days that she comes if we don't order out she'll make the lunch for all of us. She's an okay cook and on some dishes she hits it out of the ball park like with her enchiladas. One day she cooked some ribeyes but they were wasted because they didn't taste like ribeyes should. An expensive meat with a D grade. I like it because she takes care of her and gives me a break. I don't want to offend her with politics so I "try" not to talk about politics and again religion.

In EP you have to refrain from politics unless you know the person you're talking with shares your political views, because everyone it seems is a Democrat and in case we ever have a civil war you don't want to be the next casualty, LOL.
08-19-2023 03:22 PM
BigTigerMike Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Blood is thicker than politics. There are people in my family more left of me but I can’t ever imagine disowning them ever because one day none of that will matter

There is no reason to disown someone over politics although I’ve heard of other people doing that — typically it’s rabid leftists doing that against someone who liked W.Bush or Trump at the time.
08-19-2023 03:34 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-19-2023 03:34 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Blood is thicker than politics. There are people in my family more left of me but I can’t ever imagine disowning them ever because one day none of that will matter

There is no reason to disown someone over politics although I’ve heard of other people doing that — typically it’s rabid leftists doing that against someone who liked W.Bush or Trump at the time.

To some on the Left, politics is their religion. My Lefty "friends" can't tell me one thing they agree with Democrats on, but just know they don't like Republicans. I laugh at them.
08-19-2023 04:24 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
No filth in my fam

07-coffee3
08-19-2023 04:37 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-19-2023 04:37 PM)shere khan Wrote:  No filth in my fam

07-coffee3

not only is the entire stink clan pro-red, but I'm trying to come up with any democrat I call a friend ... oops, just remembered one that recently moved to PDX ... he finally found his 'home'... 03-wink
08-19-2023 04:45 PM
Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
If you have friends or family that stopped speaking to you because the TV told them to, they don’t deserve a second chance. They will always do it again.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2023 05:37 PM by Todor.)
08-19-2023 05:35 PM
tigtoodawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
No. In the Clinton years, I was a Dem, and thought the fact that he lied for getting a BJ was BS, but the economy was good. My Mom and I gently fought all the time, because she couldn't understand, but we never let go of our love for our relationship as Mom and Son. In the end politics didn't matter, especially when you are a man holding your Mom's hand as her soul leaves this world.

After the economy collapsed and then we had BO as a president, I became a staunch Rep. I actually have a dear friend who is a Lib and sometimes we piss people off in fake fights on FB. She's a hardcore Lib, and I'm a hard core conservitive now. We see the rage and on IM we laugh, because we like and even love each other not because of politics, but for who we are. If the rest of the world would just understand, we are not politics...just humans, the world would be a better world.
08-19-2023 05:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.