ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ideas for fan/student engagement
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Ideas for fan/student engagement
I know this has been discussed endlessly in several threads and other places over the years, but it looks like there's a little motion on the Facebook page and one of the fans has a meeting upcoming with Executive Associate AD on this topic.

Maybe nothing comes of it, and the ideas are ignored, but at least it's an opportunity. He (the fan who set up the meeting) was soliciting feedback on the Facebook page for ideas.

Thought it would be a good idea to centralize some thoughts so we could provide him with ammo during his meeting.

Now's your chance - how can the AD improve student and fan engagement?
09-18-2023 12:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Ideas for fan/student engagement
Im sure Ill have more later, but just off the top of my head.

More energetic music timed appropriately

More enthusiastic announcer

Id get a second Big Blue costume and have them walking around the stadium taking selfies with kids during the whole game

Bring back the cannon.

Fireworks night

Themed nights (Star Wars, Harry Potter, 80s etc)

$2 concessions night. $2 hot dogs, drinks or pretzel

Bring back the helmet game on the scoreboard

VIP dance off

Flyovers (we do pretty good with these)

Band night (bring in HS school bands to do a joint performance with the Monarchs after the game)

T-shirt cannons (not just cheerleaders throwing) with shirts people actually want to wear. Not crap with a corporations logo, or ODU Global on them.

Ease up on the tailgating rules. Let the kids have fun.

Family movie night on the scoreboard after an early game.

Student VIP area that opens early with free food, youthful music, and even beer for those of age. Basically a student Big Blue Room.

Have the cheerleaders run to the center of the field and jump to the beat of the light show music to get the crowd involved.

Autographs with players or cheerleaders.

Bring back the food trucks!

Inflatables for the kids

Cheap kids meal for kids. (think popcorn and small drink for $3 for kids under 12 or something)

More freebies. Stickers, pompoms, mini footballs, thunder sticks (we do good with those)

After game concerts by local bands

Live DJ

Invite local kids groups, cub scouts, sports teams, youth groups etc and recognize them show them on the screen with a shout out. Give em all free cheap T-shirts. (Good for student recruitment as well)

FM99 (or whoever) live broadcast from the games (make it the place to be)

This is just off the top of my head in 2 minutes. More to come. I do think if you make it so families can come, and the kids have fun without breaking the bank, that would help. Affordable fun=Happy kids=happy mom=happy family.
09-18-2023 01:23 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

-Need a more enthusiastic PA announcer. Jack needs to go and do something else.
-If we are going to keep the NEZ eyesore, then the turn upper part of the North End Zone into a party deck or something. Put a DJ or something up there. Use the DJ to get the students rolling behind the goalpost with chants and taunts.
-Season ticket holders should receive a commemorative bobblehead or t-shirt to one or two of the games.
-If you are a season ticket holder that also donates to ODAF, you should also be rewarded extra benefits.
-Season ticket holders should be eligible for autographs and player/coach meet and greets during a bye week
-Discounted prices for some games for food like popcorn and hot dogs.
-Please stop handing out thundersticks. It is old and repetitive. I want to bang our admins head with all of the thundersticks I have received over the years.
-Ease up on time limits for tailgating: I get it, we are a commuter campus, but places like VT tailgates all day before and after games. Why cannot we?
-More interactive dance cams.
-The current DJ needs better music and more variety.
-Do something more creative with the stupid "Reign On" flag, or just get rid of it and do something else.
-We need a better tradition. Clemson runs down the hill, FSU has Chief Osceola and Renegade plant the spear in the middle of the field, Penn State opens their gate, Oklahmona has a Boomer Schooner that runs across the field.
-I am all for adopting a live lion and have it as our official mascot. Can we partner with the Virginia Zoo on this?

UCF is a commuter school, just like ODU. Take some lessons from them on atmosphere and environment. Or take lessons from any ACC school we have on the schedule.
09-18-2023 01:58 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

I watched our game on ESPN2 and here are my thoughts. Our gameday situation is bad at this point and seems like fans agree. To me the university is not doing everything that they can to make the gameday something fun, unique and one of the best in the sunbelt. Here are a few takes (good and bad) from watching vs Wake:

ODU does flyovers/parachute drops pretty regularly. Its pretty cool and should get credit. The cannon comes from the military base so its not always available but I wish it was.

Fans that do show up are usually loud. You could definitely hear them on the broadcast. However the corporate bums that never leave the silver lot need to get in the stands. Some people in the silver lot just come to tailgate but don't care about ODU football. That needs to change. Winning will bring back other fans.

Student section is solid given the lack of winning recently. Could be better but solid. ODU should approach the student body as a whole, frats/sororities or whoever to get more organization amongst the students for more engagement. Do whatever it takes to get something equivalent to the Monarch Maniacs back.

Jack has to go. Watching the ESPN2 (from Charlotte), Jack's extremely monotone voice reminded me again that his days should have been numbered years ago. I'm sure he has supported our programs over the years as much as anyone and ill give him credit for that. However his voice just seems to suck energy from the crowd and dilutes any positive vibes from a play on the field. Its cringeworthy at this point and we need something fresh and new to spearhead a new gameday initiative.

There are basically no organized stadium wide crowd chants that are lead by the videoboard or the cheerleaders. This is a key component to the college football atmosphere and should have been figured out a long time ago. After the student-led monarch maniacs fell apart, a huge void has been left in the crowd involvement and interaction.

The team entrance is basically dead at this point. Get away from Crazy Train because nobody cares about it at this point. Its comes off as a lazy imitation of VTs entrance song. Just give it to a DJ at this point and let him get some energy pumping.

And basically that's what it all boils down to is MORE ENERGY! This program needs life pumped back into it! You cant keep doing the same boring crap and expect different results
09-18-2023 02:00 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Thanks all - keep em coming. I will synthesize the recommendations and provide to the guy prior to his meeting. Will also try and send these ideas in via some other outlets.
09-18-2023 02:01 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Don't gatekeep tailgating, let anyone who buys a ticket buy a spot, if they are available.

Gotta have a change in PA announcer

Run on the field with a Virginia Flag (Have some pride)

We need some kind of exciting in-stadium pre-game production that engages students and gets some energy building prior to kick off. Hire a production company or something to create something dramatic.

We need an identity. This is bigger than the athletic program, but it is sorely needed.

Lighten up on the students getting wild.

A student led spirit organization is a must.
09-18-2023 02:09 PM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I echo a lot of what's been said already. Students students students.
The flag never seemed like a good idea.
See ECU's playbook and build on it.
Get the students involved and start by asking them why they don't go. A simple survey to get a pulse.

It seems simple on the surface but attendance has trended down for everyone nation-wide. So, it starts with building university pride in the students from day 0. Competing for limited attention with a lot of outside forces. We tend to be less selective, and for good reasons. But if it doesn't mean much to get into the university it won't mean as much to the individual either.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023 02:24 PM by bit_9.)
09-18-2023 02:23 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(09-18-2023 02:09 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Don't gatekeep tailgating, let anyone who buys a ticket buy a spot, if they are available.

Gotta have a change in PA announcer

Run on the field with a Virginia Flag (Have some pride)

We need some kind of exciting in-stadium pre-game production that engages students and gets some energy building prior to kick off. Hire a production company or something to create something dramatic.

We need an identity. This is bigger than the athletic program, but it is sorely needed.

Lighten up on the students getting wild.

A student led spirit organization is a must.

Yes, I feel ODU limits the students and neuters them a little. Look at the Liberty Biblethumpers - they support their students wearing costumes, holding Bibles, and dressing up like their creepy ex chancellor. Why cannot we have that same intensity with our students? We need any investment that brings in noise to the stadium.

I feel like our in-game entertainment is catered to old guys or really young kids, and nothing in between. Its very elementary and vanilla to say the least.
09-18-2023 02:24 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334...e-football

We have no traditions like this article states. Maybe the closest thing we have is "Ice Cream and Cake".

Maybe we should do a student ice cream and cake eating contest during a stoppage of play. The winner gets a free gift card to Dairy Queen. I would also propose Ice Cream and Cake to be played at the start of the 4th quarter.

Look at Wisconsin - they have "Jump Around", which is great. Florida has their fans sing "I Wont Back Down" by Tom Petty. LSU has their fans sing "Callin Baton Rouge".

We have none of that. It is sad how much we have zero tradition or pride as a program. 03-banghead
09-18-2023 02:34 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

When I look at the stadium the student section isn't the biggest problem. The Louisianan game the students showed up and stay, much better than the rest of us. Early games are tuff. Fans need to fill the stadium before we complain about students. Look ODU has been very well supported, so I don't think it's irreversible. Now we are looking at rain for HC, that sucks. We only get 6 games to show up.
09-18-2023 02:42 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-18-2023 02:42 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  When I look at the stadium the student section isn't the biggest problem. The Louisianan game the students showed up and stay, much better than the rest of us. Early games are tuff. Fans need to fill the stadium before we complain about students. Look ODU has been very well supported, so I don't think it's irreversible. Now we are looking at rain for HC, that sucks. We only get 6 games to show up.

Students were great for Louisiana. My simple guess is students like night games better. I know I do too. When its ODUs choice (no TV), why wouldn't they do every game at night? Does it save that much in electricity for lights? Do they have to pay the staff overtime? Does Wood have an early bedtime?
09-18-2023 02:48 PM
Advertisement

ODUi Offline
1st String

As far as pageantry goes, we’re the MONARCHS. Hello, “Game of Thrones”.. very popular. Why don’t we roll out house banners when we take the field? Whether it’s animated on the video board or happening in real time on the field have a joust our colors vs the opponents (we always win of course). Where’s Big Blue’s throne after he runs out on to the field? Photo ops with pre-mentioned throne? A royal court jester that entertains in the stands? Anything that plays up the Monarch theme will do. “Off with their heads!” 03-lmfao
09-18-2023 03:03 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(09-18-2023 02:48 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 02:42 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  When I look at the stadium the student section isn't the biggest problem. The Louisianan game the students showed up and stay, much better than the rest of us. Early games are tuff. Fans need to fill the stadium before we complain about students. Look ODU has been very well supported, so I don't think it's irreversible. Now we are looking at rain for HC, that sucks. We only get 6 games to show up.

Students were great for Louisiana. My simple guess is students like night games better. I know I do too. When its ODUs choice (no TV), why wouldn't they do every game at night? Does it save that much in electricity for lights? Do they have to pay the staff overtime? Does Wood have an early bedtime?

We have been spoiled recently though. It has been a while since we have had a noon kickoff at home, and we have not had too many of them, thank god. We need to keep winning though, so that we can earn more prime spots.
09-18-2023 03:15 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I would not peg the students as a problem in either of the first 2 games. Not ideal for this last game, but the student section was better than than it has been in many of the previous games.
09-18-2023 03:28 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-18-2023 03:03 PM)ODUi Wrote:  As far as pageantry goes, we’re the MONARCHS. Hello, “Game of Thrones”.. very popular. Why don’t we roll out house banners when we take the field? Whether it’s animated on the video board or happening in real time on the field have a joust our colors vs the opponents (we always win of course). Where’s Big Blue’s throne after he runs out on to the field? Photo ops with pre-mentioned throne? A royal court jester that entertains in the stands? Anything that plays up the Monarch theme will do. “Off with their heads!” 03-lmfao

Darn good idea! I love the rolling out the banners when the team takes the field idea. Maybe Blue's throne has those handles and the cheerleaders run out and take him off the field... scepter in hand. We should use the ODU seal as a coat of arms.
09-18-2023 03:44 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

How about pep rallies and bon fires? At least before one big game a year. If we ever got competitive again, a giant pep rally before the JMU game or App game would be a blast. Problem is it feels like preparing for an execution instead of a rally at the moment. But if we we able to compete and actually expect to win on our own field, that would be so much fun!

Maybe let students camp out on Kaufman Mall the night before with cool night games and activities etc. We need to let the students take over Kaufman with tailgating. But the cops have to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on alcohol" on that. Unless a kid is doing something stupid, or has a blatant open container, turn the other way.
09-18-2023 03:48 PM
Advertisement

LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

#1 get rid of Jack.
#2 get rid of Jack.
#3 ice cream and cake at the half is stupid. People are still in line for the horrible tasting/overpriced food.
#4 the Reign On flag thing is absolutely stupid. That needs to go. Or maybe it needs it go up a giant flag pole to start the 3rd and let it flap in the breeze.
#5 bye bye Jack. Seriously. This has to happen.
09-18-2023 05:11 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(09-18-2023 05:11 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  #1 get rid of Jack.
#2 get rid of Jack.
#3 ice cream and cake at the half is stupid. People are still in line for the horrible tasting/overpriced food.
#4 the Reign On flag thing is absolutely stupid. That needs to go. Or maybe it needs it go up a giant flag pole to start the 3rd and let it flap in the breeze.

Agree all 5

Someone earlier said the Va flag. Oh god that's a bad one. Love Va but we have an ugly state flag, not cool like SC.

Someone needs to tell Aramark that $5 for a $.25 bottle of water is flat crazy. Also bring in food connected to our area. There is nothing I would eat there.
09-18-2023 05:30 PM
LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

(09-18-2023 05:30 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
#2 get rid of Jack.

Agree all 5

Someone earlier said the Va flag. Oh god that's a bad one. Love Va but we have an ugly state flag, not cool like SC.

Someone needs to tell Aramark that $5 for a $.25 bottle of water is flat crazy. Also bring in food connected to our area. There is nothing I would eat there.

I swear I remember when the stadium was just an idea or being built they talked up all the unique and great food that we’d get to choose from. Am I crazy or did that happen??
09-18-2023 05:35 PM
ODU local Offline
2nd String

(09-18-2023 05:30 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
#2 get rid of Jack.

Agree all 5

You don’t like the Aramark ynot pizza that was cooked hours before the game? lol Yeah they need to bring some food trucks in for sure. Aramark cuts so many corners when it comes to making food.
09-18-2023 05:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.