Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Commerical Appeal - How much of a problem is the New AAC for Memphis?
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Commerical Appeal - How much of a problem is the New AAC for Memphis?
Headline:
How much of a problem is the new AAC for Memphis? We’re starting to find out

Author:
Mark Giannotto of the Commerical Appeal (Memphis)

Highlights:
1. The effects of the AAC departures is "starting to show'

2. Effect 1 - After Tulane, the remaining AAC games are against opponents with 14-20 records.

3. Effect 2 - The basketball Tigers' have a tough OOC schedule because they know only a few AAC games help their NCAA tourney resume.

4. Effect 3 - The former CUSA6 are as bad as originally feared in FB and BB - FAU BB excepted. Last season, seven AAC schools finished in the top half of the FB Power Index. This season only SMU, Memphis, and Tulane qualify. Not a single former CUSA6 school presently have a winning record.

5. Effect 4 - NIL issues.

6. Effect 5 - Expanding west would have been in the best interest of the Tigers; especially with SMU's pending departure.

7. Effect 6 - Tiger fans and boosters are apathetic and weary.

8. Unlike the past six years, the best AAC school is not assured of a berth in the NY6. In other words, an unblemished Tiger record (save Missouri) may not be good enough. The MWC and SBC have not improved - the issue is the AAC has deteriorated. However, the author points out first year transitions can be difficult (cites UCF, Cincy, and Houston).

9. Other than FAU, the present AAC looks a lot like the old CUSA in basketball.

10. The weakened AAC creates a perception which may be difficult to overcome in the eyes of the CFP committee members.

11. The present AAC "makes it harder than ever" to show (in Penny's words) " we (the AAC) can play with … anybody in this country."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...126466007/
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2023 04:46 PM by Tiger1983.)
10-11-2023 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Commerical Appeal - How much of a problem is the New AAC for Memphis?
IMO, Tiger fans must recognized we are on our own. We will receive little help in strength of schedule, attendance, etc. In essence, we are in the CUSA again. We must shake off the disappointment and redouble our efforts.

FWIW, I practice what I preach. I have donated more money this year than I have in any single year to Tiger athletics.
10-11-2023 02:32 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Why don't you guys try independent?

Pay the exit fee and leave.
10-11-2023 02:48 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(10-11-2023 02:48 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  Why don't you guys try independent?

Let me know when the gofundme is up 07-coffee3
10-11-2023 02:52 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I recommend contacting the author with your question. He can be reached at mgiannotto@gannett.com.

I am just a scribe recording his message.
10-11-2023 02:54 PM
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
I would understand the whining if Memphis was dominating the AAC since they joined but they haven’t. Have they even won a league title?

And now not a single game has been played in the new look AAC and they’re already too good for the league? Let’s see Memphis dominate this league first, before complaining about it. Also winning NCAA Tournament games would help their perception better. Winning 1 tourney game a decade isn’t gonna push any narratives the Memphis media constantly asks for.
10-11-2023 03:04 PM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

Starting to like the idea of Memphis going west, or anywhere else. Especially with the incessant whining by the fans when they've yet to accomplish anything in the new AAC.
10-11-2023 03:04 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(10-11-2023 02:54 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

I recommend contacting the author with your question. He can be reached at mgiannotto@gannett.com.

And I am offering some unsolicited advice to match the tone of the article.
10-11-2023 03:06 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(10-11-2023 03:06 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(10-11-2023 02:54 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

And I am offering some unsolicited advice to match the tone of the article.

Great, please inform us of the author's reply.
10-11-2023 03:08 PM
CLTPirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
Memphis fans do y’all realize neither Cincy or UCF were helping yalls net in basketball last year, several of the CUSA6 had better net rankings
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2023 03:16 PM by CLTPirate.)
10-11-2023 03:15 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(10-11-2023 03:04 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  I would understand the whining if Memphis was dominating the AAC since they joined but they haven’t. Have they even won a league title?

And now not a single game has been played in the new look AAC and they’re already too good for the league? Let’s see Memphis dominate this league first, before complaining about it. Also winning NCAA Tournament games would help their perception better. Winning 1 tourney game a decade isn’t gonna push any narratives the Memphis media constantly asks for.

One could argue some of the best teams Memphis had in somewhat recent history were the ones that dominated CUSA. Even if the league is as bad as some think it will be, it may not be a bad thing for them.
10-11-2023 03:15 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(10-11-2023 02:32 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  IMO, Tiger fans must recognized we are on our own. We will receive little help in strength of schedule, attendance, etc. In essence, we are in the CUSA again. We must shake off the disappointment and redouble our efforts.

FWIW, I practice what I preach. I have donated more money this year than I have in any single year to Tiger athletics.

I appreciate your financial support to the school.
10-11-2023 03:32 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(10-11-2023 03:04 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  I would understand the whining if Memphis was dominating the AAC since they joined but they haven’t. Have they even won a league title?

You mean like beating Houston in the conference tournament to win the league last season?

01-wingedeagle
10-11-2023 03:34 PM
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2023 03:34 PM)msu35 Wrote:  

You mean like beating Houston in the conference tournament to win the league last season?

01-wingedeagle

Regular season?
10-11-2023 03:49 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(10-11-2023 03:49 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Regular season?

Regular season is meaningless. Tournament results bring the glory. To be clear, we're the reigning AAC champs and have a nice shiny trophy to prove it. What the conference needs is for the Shockers to be relevant again. Memphis will do their part, don't worry.
10-11-2023 04:00 PM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
Wow, sounds just like UConn when they departed.

Now if a USF fan had posted this, all hell would have broken out. 03-lmfao
10-11-2023 04:20 PM
Advertisement

ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2023 04:00 PM)msu35 Wrote:  
(10-11-2023 03:49 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  

01-wingedeagle

Regular season?

Regular season is meaningless. Tournament results bring the glory. To be clear, we're the reigning AAC champs and have a nice shiny trophy to prove it. What the conference needs is for the Shockers to be relevant again. Memphis will do their part, don't worry.

lol wow.

Then just forfeit the regular season and we’ll catch back up with you in March.
10-11-2023 04:33 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(10-11-2023 04:33 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  lol wow.

Then just forfeit the regular season and we’ll catch back up with you in March.

The concept of a tournament is challenging for you? Record determines seeding, not champions. Mull on that a bit.
10-11-2023 05:08 PM
Sea Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(10-11-2023 02:28 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Headline:
How much of a problem is the new AAC for Memphis? We’re starting to find out

Author:
Mark Giannotto of the Commerical Appeal (Memphis)

Highlights:
1. The effects of the AAC departures is "starting to show'

2. Effect 1 - After Tulane, the remaining AAC games are against opponents with 14-20 records.

3. Effect 2 - The basketball Tigers' have a tough OOC schedule because they know only a few AAC games help their NCAA tourney resume.

4. Effect 3 - The former CUSA6 are as bad as originally feared in FB and BB - FAU BB excepted. Last season, seven AAC schools finished in the top half of the FB Power Index. This season only SMU, Memphis, and Tulane qualify. Not a single former CUSA6 school presently have a winning record.

5. Effect 4 - NIL issues.

6. Effect 5 - Expanding west would have been in the best interest of the Tigers; especially with SMU's pending departure.

7. Effect 6 - Tiger fans and boosters are apathetic and weary.

8. Unlike the past six years, the best AAC school is not assured of a berth in the NY6. In other words, an unblemished Tiger record (save Missouri) may not be good enough. The MWC and SBC have not improved - the issue is the AAC has deteriorated. However, the author points out first year transitions can be difficult (cites UCF, Cincy, and Houston).

9. Other than FAU, the present AAC looks a lot like the old CUSA in basketball.

10. The weakened AAC creates a perception which may be difficult to overcome in the eyes of the CFP committee members.

11. The present AAC "makes it harder than ever" to show (in Penny's words) " we (the AAC) can play with … anybody in this country."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...126466007/

Sounds like ECU fans.
10-11-2023 05:42 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt cannot believe that memphis would be in the same mbb league as charlotte, that has never happened before!

the reporter needs to get to the real issue, utsa mbb and how it is easily the worst program in north america
10-11-2023 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.