ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU NIL
djnva Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
ODU NIL
In the latest email from Monarch Brew, they mention the following:

Quote:Support your Monarchs and get ?? gear? That’s a no brainer.

ODU has partnered with AthletesThreads.com to give fans the opportunity to purchase specialized Monarch gear to support the student-athletes NIL fund.

Link: https://athletesthread.com/collections/o...s=e&_v=1.0

Right now it looks like only football and volleyball, but it's a start.

Anyone with more knowledge here--why just those sports, and why, for instance, foes volleyball not have each player? Do they need to sign up individually? Does each athlete get a set amount or a percentage from an order?
10-16-2023 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
RE: ODU NIL
I remember a few weeks ago when someone posted the link. Has anyone bought a jersey? I was interested but wanted to know how they felt before pulling the trigger

EDIT: Also someone needs to tell the people who run the website that it's Hudson blue, not light blue or even worse, Carolina blue as they have it listed on a few items
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 09:10 AM by MonGNARch.)
10-16-2023 09:09 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 09:09 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  I remember a few weeks ago when someone posted the link. Has anyone bought a jersey? I was interested but wanted to know how they felt before pulling the trigger

These jerseys are not manufactured by Under Armour, so I will not be getting one. They look too off and hokey for me from our actual jerseys. I want something that looks authentic like our actual product, not something that looks like it came off a Walmart shelf.
10-16-2023 09:12 AM
djnva Offline
All American

(10-16-2023 09:12 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  These jerseys are not manufactured by Under Armour, so I will not be getting one. They look too off and hokey for me from our actual jerseys. I want something that looks authentic like our actual product, not something that looks like it came off a Walmart shelf.

I hear you, but that might not be an option. And the idea is to support the student athletes, so if that's our option to do so...Of course, say I want to support one of the smaller sports, like volleyball. I don't really want to buy shirt with a 19 year old women's name on the back. That seems weird... 05-nono But it doesn't seem weird if I buy a jersey with Henderson on it. So, I don't know.

That site is used by a lot of big schools: ASU, Auburn, BYU, FSU, Gonzaga, LSU, MSU, NC State, Syracuse, TCU, Alabama, UVA, Tech, WVU.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 09:19 AM by djnva.)
10-16-2023 09:17 AM
MONARCHSWIN Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
When you purchase one with a specific player's name/number, does that mean that they receive the profits from the sale, or does the money just go to the collective?
10-16-2023 09:18 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-16-2023 09:18 AM)MONARCHSWIN Wrote:  When you purchase one with a specific player's name/number, does that mean that they receive the profits from the sale, or does the money just go to the collective?

Yes, they get a % of each jersey that is sold with their name on it.
10-16-2023 09:35 AM
Advertisement

ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 09:17 AM)djnva Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 09:12 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  These jerseys are not manufactured by Under Armour, so I will not be getting one. They look too off and hokey for me from our actual jerseys. I want something that looks authentic like our actual product, not something that looks like it came off a Walmart shelf.

I hear you, but that might not be an option. And the idea is to support the student athletes, so if that's our option to do so...Of course, say I want to support one of the smaller sports, like volleyball. I don't really want to buy shirt with a 19 year old women's name on the back. That seems weird... 05-nono But it doesn't seem weird if I buy a jersey with Henderson on it. So, I don't know.

That site is used by a lot of big schools: ASU, Auburn, BYU, FSU, Gonzaga, LSU, MSU, NC State, Syracuse, TCU, Alabama, UVA, Tech, WVU.

I just bought a Nike player jersey on Fanatics from one of the schools you just mentioned and believe me, it looks just like their actual jersey on the field. I spent 140 on it and looks and feels like the real deal. Me personally- I do not believe in buying fake looking jerseys though. Some people do not care though and that is fine too.
10-16-2023 09:37 AM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

In one breath you are bemoaning our lateness to NIL....then you are offered a chance to support athletes via an NIL channel and say it isn't good enough.

You find a way to complaint about EVERYTHING.
10-16-2023 09:41 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 09:41 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  In one breath you are bemoaning our lateness to NIL....then you are offered a chance to support athletes via an NIL channel and say it isn't good enough.

We are two years into NIL. Many other schools are advertising their NIL collectives at their football games. We are not. The school is doing our student athletes no favors at all. Shouldnt all fans be upset about that?
10-16-2023 09:53 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(10-16-2023 09:53 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 09:41 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  In one breath you are bemoaning our lateness to NIL....then you are offered a chance to support athletes via an NIL channel and say it isn't good enough.

We are two years into NIL. Many other schools are advertising their NIL collectives at their football games. We are not. The school is doing our student athletes no favors at all. Shouldnt all fans be upset about that?

No. Fans would have every right to be upset if our players weren't getting paid NIL or being given opportunities for NIL.

But we've had athletes making money with NIL since the beginning. And the collective is already operating, fundraising and paying athletes. They just haven't launched publicly yet and that changes VERY soon. As has been said a ton of times on this board.
10-16-2023 09:58 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2023 09:58 AM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  But we've had athletes making money with NIL since the beginning. And the collective is already operating, fundraising and paying athletes. They just haven't launched publicly yet and that changes VERY soon. As has been said a ton of times on this board.

Yes, you keep saying "soon" and now "very soon," and yet, we've heard nothing for months.

(Please note: I'm not upset with you. I'm just stating my perception. From my standpoint, we've heard NOTHING from the University on the collective. Sending messages through you guys is not really a communication strategy, and that isn't a shot at you.)
10-16-2023 10:01 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2023 09:58 AM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

No. Fans would have every right to be upset if our players weren't getting paid NIL or being given opportunities for NIL.

But we've had athletes making money with NIL since the beginning. And the collective is already operating, fundraising and paying athletes. They just haven't launched publicly yet and that changes VERY soon. As has been said a ton of times on this board.

Reminds me of the old joke, "if you tell a man to do something, he'll do it. Don't need to remind him every 6 months"
10-16-2023 10:02 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 10:01 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(10-16-2023 09:58 AM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  But we've had athletes making money with NIL since the beginning. And the collective is already operating, fundraising and paying athletes. They just haven't launched publicly yet and that changes VERY soon. As has been said a ton of times on this board.

Yes, you keep saying "soon" and now "very soon," and yet, we've heard nothing for months.

(Please note: I'm not upset with you. I'm just stating my perception. From my standpoint, we've heard NOTHING from the University on the collective. Sending messages through you guys is not really a communication strategy, and that isn't a shot at you.)

Id rather hear it directly from the President or ADs mouth. Hey, make an entire podcast about it and put them on the hot seat and grill them on why nothing has come to fruition yet.
10-16-2023 10:10 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 09:58 AM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

Im not getting any younger and my paws are growing grayer and grayer by the day. Tick tock. Tick tock.
10-16-2023 10:12 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

They were prepared to launch earlier and the IRS released a memo changing the dynamics on what NIL collective contributions can be considered tax-wise. So that required them to change their strategy and they wanted to do that before they launched so they didn't have to explain the change to members at a later date. They've faced other hurdles as well.

When they launch, we will have a podcast episode with the collective walking you through all of the different pivots they have had to make to get to this point and fans can learn about how they can take part and what they will get from it. Harry M will have an article as well, which will release before the episode.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 10:30 AM by Monarchist13.)
10-16-2023 10:13 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 10:13 AM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

They were prepared to launch earlier and the IRS released a memo changing the dynamics on what NIL collective contributions can be considered tax-wise. So that required them to change their strategy and they wanted to do that before they launched so they didn't have to explain the change to members at a later date. They've faced other hurdles as well.

When they launch, we will have a podcast episode with the collective walking you through all of the different pivots they have had to make to get to this point and fans can learn about how they can take part and what they will get from it. Harry M will have an article as well, which will release before the episode.

Look at how beautiful FSU's NIL collective is. It is called "The Battle's End." It has payment plans for different packages. It highlights the players represented. It even has PERKS to meet players/coaches. It even has autographed merchandise!

Now, look, I know ODU's NIL would be on a much smaller scale. However, this is the model of NIL we should follow.

FSU The Battle's End NIL Collective
10-16-2023 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I was told that the University is being very cautious about NIL because they are trying to derive a management structure / approach to ensure that is being managed effectively and there is nothing unethical happening. I suspect that once everything is setup appropriately you will hear. However, just know some NIL's have been set up in very specialized cases. Finally...for Volleyball, we just set up a multiyear donation for their enhancement fund. I urge every Monarch on here if you really want to make an impact for our new startup...this is the time. They need help.
10-16-2023 12:56 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 12:56 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

I was told that the University is being very cautious about NIL because they are trying to derive a management structure / approach to ensure that is being managed effectively and there is nothing unethical happening. I suspect that once everything is setup appropriately you will hear. However, just know some NIL's have been set up in very specialized cases. Finally...for Volleyball, we just set up a multiyear donation for their enhancement fund. I urge every Monarch on here if you really want to make an impact for our new startup...this is the time. They need help.

If this part is true, the school admin are one of scared, have no plan, or have no desire to get this rolling. Like, they need to grow up already and wake up and enter 2023. Do we even care about our student athletes? This is a poor attitude from our admin if this is the case, and if I was a perspective student athlete, why would I really want to come to ODU?

I am so sick and tired of our school taking cautious "wait and see" methodical approaches. Its no wonder why our top athletic programs stink. Do we even care about winning?
10-16-2023 01:08 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Very true and they are very worried about the exact example like FSU Battle'sEnd because people that donate to it basically have NO say on where the money goes or guarantee if that collective is actually helping students that the University wants support. Also the impacts to the Booster clubs like ODAF are a huge worry especially at ODU. NILS still have a lot of question marks however, I believe there should be a balance that needs be derived VERY quickly to ensure review and oversight.
10-16-2023 01:21 PM
bit_9 Offline

How did you read "management structure / approach to ensure that is being managed effectively and there is nothing unethical happening" and come to the conclusion that the admin needs to grow up and do they even care about the student athletes?
10-16-2023 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.