ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Virginian-Pilot coverage of ODU
bluelight Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Virginian-Pilot coverage of ODU
(02-03-2024 01:41 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  They have 3 senior starters. We'll find out next year just how good Byington is.

Edwards is a junior. But yes, we will find out next year. Carey is a freshman. That is like somewhat replacing the seniors. Who knows other than the incoming freshman, who at ODU will be coming back next year. I have a child that graduated from ODU and one who graduated from JMU.I have always been a ODU fan. It will always be that way!

Wood took over in 2010. Todays VP front sports page, just about showed total coverage of 2024 football schedules for Norfolk St. & Hampton.I would have thought because of the unexpected win Thursday, that ODU would have had a better highlight. Instead we got a wire service, not even written by the regular beat writer for ODU. Of course it was at the bottom. Does this show what Wood has done with one with the biggest athlete departments in the arena? Yes Norfolk St. has a winning record.
02-03-2024 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

RE: JMU III
(02-03-2024 02:16 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 01:41 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  They have 3 senior starters. We'll find out next year just how good Byington is.

Edwards is a junior. But yes, we will find out next year. Carey is a freshman. That is like somewhat replacing the seniors. Who knows other than the incoming freshman, who at ODU will be coming back next year. I have a child that graduated from ODU and one who graduated from JMU.I have always been a ODU fan. It will always be that way!

Wood took over in 2010. Todays VP front sports page, just about showed total coverage of 2024 football schedules for Norfolk St. & Hampton.I would have thought because of the unexpected win Thursday, that ODU would have had a better highlight. Instead we got a wire service, not even written by the regular beat writer for ODU. Of course it was at the bottom. Does this show what Wood has done with one with the biggest athlete departments in the arena? Yes Norfolk St. has a winning record.

The pilot being cheap by using stringers for road games has zero to do with ODU. It’s just a side effect of the newspaper industries downfall.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2024 03:16 PM by Monarchist13.)
02-03-2024 03:15 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(02-03-2024 03:15 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

The pilot being cheap by using stringers for road games has zero to do with ODU. It’s just a side effect of the newspaper industries downfall.

Probably getting ready to be sold again or chapter 11. I do get the paper but will go through the internet when my subscription is finished. All I see is mostly high school stuff in all sports, and some side stories that may or may not be of interest. The good writers have left. Thank goodness we have Harry, writing full time on all ODU sports interest.
02-04-2024 02:39 PM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(02-04-2024 02:39 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

Probably getting ready to be sold again or chapter 11. I do get the paper but will go through the internet when my subscription is finished. All I see is mostly high school stuff in all sports, and some side stories that may or may not be of interest. The good writers have left. Thank goodness we have Harry, writing full time on all ODU sports interest.

Harry has been awful since he has been at ODU. His coverage of ODU was much better at the VP. And IF ODU has abandoned the VP with their sports coverage, then the school is full fledged being cheap.

I feel Harry was more honest about ODU Sports when he was an outsider looking in. Now, all he does is feel good posts and pieces on buying season tickets, saying how our teams are going to have great years. I do not need any more blind optimism posts in my life.
02-04-2024 03:59 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

"Harry has been awful since he has been at ODU. His coverage of ODU was much better at the VP. And IF ODU has abandoned the VP with their sports coverage, then the school is full fledged being cheap."

And you say you are smarter than given credit for. Ha! ODU hasn't abandoned the Pilot. The Pilot, because of drastic cuts/layoffs/buyouts, has abandoned ODU. In this market at this time, you have to EARN coverage. ODU isn't. It doesn't help that the writer assigned to the school is insanely lazy and uninterested in the beat or doing anything original by way of coverage. If fact, ODU is lucky. If there was a real writer on the beat, given the crap et al on the basketball court, they'd be savaged in print for their ineptitude, questioned about the plan going forward, whether and who tampered with Allette (if that is what happened). At the very least get an interview with the kid -- or write something saying you tried but he wouldn't respond, something to let people know he cared.
Harry's just doing the job he was hired to do; you don't like it? Fine. But could our ignorant fans please stop thinking that Harry was hired by ODU to rip ODU? You really are clueless, no matter how much you say otherwise.
This is great, we got one guy living in the 1980s and another living on another planet.
02-04-2024 04:16 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-04-2024 03:59 PM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  

Harry has been awful since he has been at ODU. His coverage of ODU was much better at the VP. And IF ODU has abandoned the VP with their sports coverage, then the school is full fledged being cheap.

I feel Harry was more honest about ODU Sports when he was an outsider looking in. Now, all he does is feel good posts and pieces on buying season tickets, saying how our teams are going to have great years. I do not need any more blind optimism posts in my life.

My friend, you have it backward. VP abandoned ODU coverage because they got gutted and sold for parts by the hedge fund that bought them. ODU hiring Harry and having him doing pieces was their way of making sure ODU had at least *some* stories being posted about them.

Also yeah, of course Harry is less objective when writing stories about his bosses. If you want more hard-hitting journalism, find someone in local news that will do it or get on the beat yourself since you make it sound so easy. Lord knows you'd be able to fill word count in no time flat if your posts on this forum are any indication.
02-04-2024 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Big4Blue Offline
Water Engineer

(02-04-2024 04:19 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 02:16 PM)bluelight Wrote:  Edwards is a junior. But yes, we will find out next year. Carey is a freshman. That is like somewhat replacing the seniors. Who knows other than the incoming freshman, who at ODU will be coming back next year. I have a child that graduated from ODU and one who graduated from JMU.I have always been a ODU fan. It will always be that way!

My friend, you have it backward. VP abandoned ODU coverage because they got gutted and sold for parts by the hedge fund that bought them. ODU hiring Harry and having him doing pieces was their way of making sure ODU had at least *some* stories being posted about them.

Also yeah, of course Harry is less objective when writing stories about his bosses. If you want more hard-hitting journalism, find someone in local news that will do it or get on the beat yourself since you make it sound so easy. Lord knows you'd be able to fill word count in no time flat if your posts on this forum are any indication.

Newspapers will cover what they believe will bring eyes for their advertisers and readers…not programs in decline …

On a related topic our attendance is more about our promotion department and fans’ muscle memory than interest in the program… We are circling the bowl…
02-04-2024 07:01 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(02-03-2024 02:16 PM)bluelight Wrote:  Edwards is a junior. But yes, we will find out next year. Carey is a freshman. That is like somewhat replacing the seniors. Who knows other than the incoming freshman, who at ODU will be coming back next year. I have a child that graduated from ODU and one who graduated from JMU.I have always been a ODU fan. It will always be that way!

I know someone, who has urged the VP to write a story about the problems at the athletic department at ODU. They will not touch it.
02-04-2024 07:18 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

Rally fox, you are worse than myself in criticism (I have seen both the good basketball and the worse. Jarrett did hire good coaches in Pernell, Jeff Capel & Blaine Taylor) they all took us to post conference tournaments. Wood since 2010 has one NCAA & one nit thanks to transfer Trey Freemen). So since you are more bitter, you write a letter to the editor of the VP and see how much time you wasted. As bad as we feel, Wood is going nowhere. Talking about player development, we have two new coaches with experience in that. Richardson & Stith was let go or had enough.
02-04-2024 08:13 PM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(02-04-2024 04:16 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  "Harry has been awful since he has been at ODU. His coverage of ODU was much better at the VP. And IF ODU has abandoned the VP with their sports coverage, then the school is full fledged being cheap."

And you say you are smarter than given credit for. Ha! ODU hasn't abandoned the Pilot. The Pilot, because of drastic cuts/layoffs/buyouts, has abandoned ODU. In this market at this time, you have to EARN coverage. ODU isn't. It doesn't help that the writer assigned to the school is insanely lazy and uninterested in the beat or doing anything original by way of coverage. If fact, ODU is lucky. If there was a real writer on the beat, given the crap et al on the basketball court, they'd be savaged in print for their ineptitude, questioned about the plan going forward, whether and who tampered with Allette (if that is what happened). At the very least get an interview with the kid -- or write something saying you tried but he wouldn't respond, something to let people know he cared.
Harry's just doing the job he was hired to do; you don't like it? Fine. But could our ignorant fans please stop thinking that Harry was hired by ODU to rip ODU? You really are clueless, no matter how much you say otherwise.
This is great, we got one guy living in the 1980s and another living on another planet.

Id respect Harry's pieces more if he did more comparisons with us versus other programs that are close in comparison to us. He needs to dig deeper with program finances, and where ODU should try to improve. He can do that in a professional writing, and not overkill it with the false optimism. Yes, I get it - Harry is paid to be a homer. But if the school cannot even allow a little bit of constructive criticism - then there is a problem there. And I know Harry is just as passionate as anyone with ODU's program.

If the VP has abandoned ODU, its a bad business decision. Sorry, but the rest of the universities in the Hampton Roads area do not even come close when it comes to people caring about them. Sorry Norfolk State, sorry Hampton, sorry William and Mary, but ODU rules the roost in the Hampton Roads area with alumni numbers and general notoriety.
02-04-2024 11:52 PM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

I would be that fox that would dig deeper into ODU's program and identify all of the problems and bring them to light to the general public. And guess what? I would not care about pushback or getting any negative feedback. I would not care if people came at me with pitchforks. I would not care to bump heads with those folks in ODU's leadership. I would bring great content that people would want to read, even if I am not liked by the reader.
02-04-2024 11:57 PM
Advertisement

ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(02-04-2024 08:13 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 03:15 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  The pilot being cheap by using stringers for road games has zero to do with ODU. It’s just a side effect of the newspaper industries downfall.

Rally fox, you are worse than myself in criticism (I have seen both the good basketball and the worse. Jarrett did hire good coaches in Pernell, Jeff Capel & Blaine Taylor) they all took us to post conference tournaments. Wood since 2010 has one NCAA & one nit thanks to transfer Trey Freemen). So since you are more bitter, you write a letter to the editor of the VP and see how much time you wasted. As bad as we feel, Wood is going nowhere. Talking about player development, we have two new coaches with experience in that. Richardson & Stith was let go or had enough.

ODU needs to step up to the plate and get on the VP to provide more coverage for the programs. Its up to them to get on these lazy VP writers to give the school more coverage.

I would not say I am bitter. I just state the facts. Despite our hoops team and football team being circus acts, ODU's athletic department problems are fixable. The sooner our President, BOV, and big donors/boosters act, the quicker things will improve. Our athletic department clearly needs an overhaul, and it is going to take time, effort, and energy to fix it.

But as I always say, I am just one fox. It cannot just be me leading the charge. We need a large revolt amongst a lot of fans to send our leadership a strong message. Hell, maybe our top donors should all ban together and contribute for a full-page letter in the VP to voice/write their concerns about ODU's program. I would definitely contribute to something like that.
02-05-2024 12:06 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-04-2024 07:18 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(02-03-2024 03:15 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  The pilot being cheap by using stringers for road games has zero to do with ODU. It’s just a side effect of the newspaper industries downfall.

I know someone, who has urged the VP to write a story about the problems at the athletic department at ODU. They will not touch it.

Actually Bob Molinaro just wrote about what a shambled state the ODU basketball program is currently in just this past Friday in his column . And he mentioned that Wood Selig will need to do something about it.
02-05-2024 06:57 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

Less objective? Has he been even 1% objective about anything since the school hired him? I don't even read anything he puts out anymore.
02-05-2024 08:27 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(02-05-2024 06:57 AM)mac Wrote:  
(02-04-2024 07:18 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(02-04-2024 02:39 PM)bluelight Wrote:  Probably getting ready to be sold again or chapter 11. I do get the paper but will go through the internet when my subscription is finished. All I see is mostly high school stuff in all sports, and some side stories that may or may not be of interest. The good writers have left. Thank goodness we have Harry, writing full time on all ODU sports interest.

Actually Bob Molinaro just wrote about what a shambled state the ODU basketball program is currently in just this past Friday in his column . And he mentioned that Wood Selig will need to do something about it.
Yeah one paragraph won't do what's necessary. And Capt. Obvious says WS needs
To do something. Wow, never thought of that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app
02-05-2024 08:54 AM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

While we are on the subject of Harry and ODU feel good articles, here is one right on cue, posted today.

https://odusports.com/news/2024/2/5/mini...-fall.aspx

You better buy a season ticket, or you wont get a chance to see VT play ODU! We have plenty of regional rivals on the schedule, so come and watch us play! We've given the fans everything they want! We blew a 28-point lead in the bowl game, but we were a young team!

Lots of fluff here. 02-13-banana 02-13-banana
02-05-2024 02:02 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(02-05-2024 02:02 PM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  While we are on the subject of Harry and ODU feel good articles, here is one right on cue, posted today.

You better buy a season ticket, or you wont get a chance to see VT play ODU! We have plenty of regional rivals on the schedule, so come and watch us play! We've given the fans everything they want! We blew a 28-point lead in the bowl game, but we were a young team!

I appreciate you adding to the message board discussion, but could you attempt to put posts in the correct thread? This is a football schedule article in a thread about us playing JMU in hoops.
02-05-2024 02:06 PM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(02-05-2024 02:06 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 02:02 PM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  While we are on the subject of Harry and ODU feel good articles, here is one right on cue, posted today.

I appreciate you adding to the message board discussion, but could you attempt to put posts in the correct thread? This is a football schedule article in a thread about us playing JMU in hoops.

The only reason I put this here was because the latest posts had shifted to VP and Harry's coverages of ODU.
02-05-2024 02:39 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

RE: Virginian-Pilot coverage of ODU
(02-05-2024 02:39 PM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 02:06 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

The only reason I put this here was because the latest posts had shifted to VP and Harry's coverages of ODU.

There you go. Here’s a new thread that fits the subject matter.
02-05-2024 03:30 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

RE: Virginian-Pilot coverage of ODU
Are we going to act surprised that an ODU employee may sugarcoat things? I mean what are we really crying about here?
02-05-2024 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.