Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This is exactly why we need a 9th and possibly 10th team
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
This is exactly why we need a 9th and possibly 10th team
Pitt could possibly turn it around, maybe Louisville or Syracuse as well. But, right now, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse are horrid and lets assume it stays that way. That puts extra pressure on the other 4 or 5 Big East teams to play at a Top 25 level so the conference isn't dragged down. That's why we have to add a school like an ECU, to add depth to the football side. Having 8 teams leave little margin for error when multiple teams are struggling. That's what conferences like the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12. If the top teams are down the conference has another 8 to 10 teams that can pick up the slack. If a few of our teams are down we're down to half of those teams.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 05:36 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-31-2008 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: This is exactly why we need a 9th or 10th team
I agree. We need a 9th team.
08-31-2008 05:36 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

It didn't hurt USC or Oklahoma during those years in which they were the only power in their respective conferences.
08-31-2008 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:It didn't hurt USC or Oklahoma during those years in which they were the only power in their respective conferences.

You're talking about a completely different era. And there's a reason why the Pac-10 (whatever their names were before), the Big 8 and the ACC expanded. The ACC showed you what USC and Oklahoma would have been up against if their conferences hadn't expanded. Imagine if the Big 8 hadn't expanded and Oklahoma struggled like they did a few years ago? That conference would be brutal. When you rely on one program to carry your conference every year you're in for a world of hurt when they struggle. If Cincinnati, Connecticut, South Florida and Rutgers hadn't stepped up the Big East would just be West Virginia. And we would be getting our @sses shredded by the media. Remember the crap we got back in 2003 and 2004 for only having two powers?
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 05:42 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-31-2008 05:41 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: This is exactly why we need a 9th and possibly 10th team
Yes, we need a ninth team, but the fact that SU, Pitt and UL are all stinking it up is not rationale for doing so. They'd be stinking it up, whether or not there was a ninth team in the BE.
08-31-2008 05:41 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Yes, we need a ninth team, but the fact that SU, Pitt and UL are all stinking it up is not rationale for doing so. They'd be stinking it up, whether or not there was a ninth team in the BE.

That's not my point though. My point is, if you add another quality 9th team (I'm not talking about Army or Navy I'm talking about a good 9th team), then it's easier to weather down years from your top programs. Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville just highlight how much trouble this conference is in by a numbers standpoint. If 3 teams struggled in the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12, big deal. But when 3 teams struggle in the Big East that's nearly half the conference and that is a problem. If we had someone who keeps up their football program like an East Carolina, then right now we're talking about insurance when multiple teams struggle. It also gives us a chance to have a couple of powers. When Ohio State and Michigan were down the Big Ten, because of sheer numbers, were able to weather it because of programs like Iowa and Purdue and Wisconsin. And the Big 12 as well. And now the Big 12 is reaping the benefit of those programs establishing themselves. Now, not only do they have Oklahoma and Texas but they also have Missouri and Kansas and that makes the conference a heck of a lot more solid and nationally respected. Imagine going into conference play with West Virginia, South Florida, Rutgers, Cincinnati and East Carolina ranked? That is very possible, and that kind of stuff has a chance of happening every year because those programs keep up with themselves. And it allows programs like Louisville and Syracuse and Pitt to rebuild themselves under the radar. Sorry to be long winded. :)
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 05:51 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-31-2008 05:45 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow, Louisville a just spitting the bit right now (sorry about that bit! :) )
08-31-2008 05:46 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
CatsClaw Wrote:
Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Yes, we need a ninth team, but the fact that SU, Pitt and UL are all stinking it up is not rationale for doing so. They'd be stinking it up, whether or not there was a ninth team in the BE.

That's not my point though. My point is, if you add another quality 9th team (I'm not talking about Army or Navy I'm talking about a good 9th team), then it's easier to weather down years from your top programs. Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville just highlight how much trouble this conference is in by a numbers standpoint. If 3 teams struggled in the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12, big deal. But when 3 teams struggle in the Big East that's nearly half the conference and that is a problem. If we had someone who keeps up their football program like an East Carolina, then right now we're talking about insurance when multiple teams struggle. It also gives us a chance to have a couple of powers. When Ohio State and Michigan were down the Big Ten, because of sheer numbers, were able to weather it because of programs like Iowa and Purdue and Wisconsin. And the Big 12 as well. And now the Big 12 is reaping the benefit of those programs establishing themselves. Now, not only do they have Oklahoma and Texas but they also have Missouri and Kansas and that makes the conference a heck of a lot more solid and nationally respected. Imagine going into conference play with West Virginia, South Florida, Rutgers, Cincinnati and East Carolina ranked? That is very possible, and that kind of stuff has a chance of happening every year because those programs keep up with themselves. And it allows programs like Louisville and Syracuse and Pitt to rebuild themselves under the radar. Sorry to be long winded. :)

I think you make a solid point. When you have a large conference it's easier to hide the bad teams.
08-31-2008 06:02 PM
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
CatsClaw Wrote:

You are right on the money with this post. We do need a ninth. It would help the BE in many different ways.
08-31-2008 06:03 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

CatsClaw Wrote:Wow, Louisville a just spitting the bit right now (sorry about that bit! :) )
I recognized the equestrian reference... 04-cheers
08-31-2008 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
the worst thing is the team quit.. not that they got beat.
08-31-2008 06:38 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

What if the ninth team ended up being as bad as 6-8 in a particular year?? Then you'd have the Mt. West, no?
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 07:04 PM by Ring of Black.)
08-31-2008 07:04 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:What if the ninth team ended up being as bad as 6-8 in a particular year?? Then you'd have the Mt. West, no?
I guess I should present an example: Suppose we picked Memphis at #9 (which is BY FAR the most popular choice on this board). So, then we'd have: one team that got slapped around by a Big Ten bottom feeder, one team that lost to a MAC opponent, and TWO teams losing to SEC bottom-feeders. ALL QUITE DECISIVELY.

Again, I like to add a ninth FB member for scheduling, the rivalries, and bowl situation. But, let's not BS over the reasons for it.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 07:13 PM by Ring of Black.)
08-31-2008 07:12 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

For football, ECU would probably be the better choice. They have more rivalry with the established BEast powers. They are also familiar with our newer members from CUSA. I'd say that would be the more logical choice if it's just football only. If it's full membership, then Memphis brings more to the table.

And please don't bring up the Liberty Bowl... 03-banghead
08-31-2008 07:20 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
CatsClaw Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:It didn't hurt USC or Oklahoma during those years in which they were the only power in their respective conferences.

You're talking about a completely different era. And there's a reason why the Pac-10 (whatever their names were before)

FYI, before the two Arizona schools joined in 1978, they were the Pac 8. Before 1967, they were the AAWU, the "athletic association of western universities".

I think you are right about OK and USC dominating in a different era: In the 1970s and before, college football was more provincial. There was little pressure on conferences to be "big time" in a national sense. Conferences were by-definition regional entities and as long as you generated interest in your region, well that was enough. This was before ESPN and national tv contracts and strict enforcement of Title IX and all that.

It was one of the things that made college football very fun back then. When an OK and Michigan played in a bowl game, it was probably the first time all year Big 8 and Big 10 schools played each other. It heightened the curiosity factor.

Nowadays, with all the pressure to be "national" and generate revenue from 5 billion sources to fund women's synchronized diving teams, we have all these cross-sectional, OOC games being played. Personally, i don't like it. But it might be inevitable, given that the financial pressures have forced so many more schools to seriously care about college football. Back then, only 4, arguably 5, conferences cared, and they comprised about 45 schools, and there footprints didn't overlap. Now everyone is trying to build a big-time program, and we have these gerrymandered conferences lapping all over each other.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 07:38 PM by quo vadis.)
08-31-2008 07:31 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:What if the ninth team ended up being as bad as 6-8 in a particular year?? Then you'd have the Mt. West, no?

Actually, I think you would be wrong. As much as I dislike the MWC, they are a very good football conference.

But regardless of what happened to UL, Syracuse and Pitt this weekend the BE needs a 9th football member period.
08-31-2008 07:44 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
bitcruncher Wrote:And please don't bring up the Liberty Bowl... 03-banghead

So that drives you crazy too hunh?
08-31-2008 07:45 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
CatsClaw Wrote:Pitt could possibly turn it around, maybe Louisville or Syracuse as well. But, right now, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse are horrid and lets assume it stays that way. That puts extra pressure on the other 4 or 5 Big East teams to play at a Top 25 level so the conference isn't dragged down. That's why we have to add a school like an ECU, to add depth to the football side. Having 8 teams leave little margin for error when multiple teams are struggling. That's what conferences like the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12. If the top teams are down the conference has another 8 to 10 teams that can pick up the slack. If a few of our teams are down we're down to half of those teams.

-- The problem with the theory is that adding another football school means less money for the rest of us....we are already behind the other BCS leagues in terms of $$s per year. We don't need to widen the gap.

Our problem is some of the schools in the league seem to have made questionable coaching hires...and are paying the price. And that's not counting Bill Stewart being an unknown at this point.

Even with our poor weekend...I still see three solid top 25-30 schools emerging in our league before the season is over

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 08:50 PM by Jackson1011.)
08-31-2008 08:49 PM
ECU_Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Jackson1011 Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:Pitt could possibly turn it around, maybe Louisville or Syracuse as well. But, right now, Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse are horrid and lets assume it stays that way. That puts extra pressure on the other 4 or 5 Big East teams to play at a Top 25 level so the conference isn't dragged down. That's why we have to add a school like an ECU, to add depth to the football side. Having 8 teams leave little margin for error when multiple teams are struggling. That's what conferences like the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12. If the top teams are down the conference has another 8 to 10 teams that can pick up the slack. If a few of our teams are down we're down to half of those teams.

-- The problem with the theory is that adding another football school means less money for the rest of us....we are already behind the other BCS leagues in terms of $$s per year. We don't need to widen the gap.

Our problem is some of the schools in the league seem to have made questionable coaching hires...and are paying the price. And that's not counting Bill Stewart being an unknown at this point.

Even with our poor weekend...I still see three solid top 25-30 schools emerging in our league before the season is over

Jackson

I will take a guess for the top 25 teams..

West Virginia, South Florida and Cincy.. What do I win?

ECU Pirate
08-31-2008 09:12 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I have been saying for a couple of years now ECU would be the best choice IF for football only. The basketball conference simply cannot get any bigger.

If ECU were willing to join for football only then I would be all for it. They bring a good program with an excellent fan base and a history of playing many current Big East teams anyway.
08-31-2008 09:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.