Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All encompassing BE expansion/configuration thread
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Boston College Article
This article makes me wish that we never put these clowns back on the schedule. If they are so successful in the acc, why look to a BE team for a rivalry game? It also says that the BE has a standing invitation for BC to return to the BE.

The following excerpt really got my blood boiling:

The question you ask now is, ‘Do we want to be playing football with South Florida, Central Florida, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Rutgers, or do we want to be in the league we’re in?’ And the answer is we want to be in the league we’re in.

WHY WOULD HE MENTION CENTRAL FLORIDA?

http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-19/sp...k-spaziani
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011 09:57 AM by cuseroc.)
06-20-2011 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Boston College Article
(06-20-2011 09:51 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  This article makes me wish that we never put these clowns back on the schedule. It also says that the BE has a standing invitation for BC to return to the BE.

I'm sure that's what BC would like people to believe. No one has a standing offer...ask Villanova.
06-20-2011 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-20-2011 09:51 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  This article makes me wish that we never put these clowns back on the schedule. If they are so successful in the acc, why look to a BE team for a rivalry game? It also says that the BE has a standing invitation for BC to return to the BE.

The question you ask now is, ‘Do we want to be playing football with South Florida, Central Florida, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Rutgers, or do we want to be in the league we’re in?’ And the answer is we want to be in the league we’re in.

Looks like maybe the Big East contacted BC and asked if they'd be interested since the $$$ will be about the same or maybe a bit more. This is their reply through the media.

Love to for bb, but not for football.

Can't say that I blame them. Though I'd definitely prefer playing Cincinnati and Connecticut to Duke and Wake in football. And I'd say playing Louisville and Rutgers isn't that much different from playing Virginia and Maryland.

WVU, Pitt, TCU, and SU would be at least comparable for them to VT, UNC, Clemson, and GT - better rivalries helps compensate in some of these cases.

But USF and UCF just aren't FSU and Miami. Down the road 20 years or so they might be, just not now.

Cheers,
Neil
06-20-2011 11:48 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
This is what I posted on the realignment board when the same article was posted......

DeFilippo has a selective memory. BC is 4-3 all time against UC and 3-3 all time against Louisville. So much for being too good to play in The Big East. Judging from BC's 18-28 record against Syracuse, perhaps they are just dodging the Orange.

Bottomline is BC was never competitive in Big East basketball before expansion. If they had stuck around, chances are they would have never made the tournament and would have been among the leagues worse teams. As for Big East football, I looked through league results and strangely all of BC's Big East football Championships are missing. Surely if BC has played in two championship games for such an elite, power conference as the ACC, since joining 6 short years ago, the Eagles must have dominated Big East football. Where are all their championships. 04-jawdrop
CJ
06-20-2011 12:12 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Read this yesterday and the comments are fantastic. Lots of people who called this a puff piece and noted that BC has grown rather stagnant.

One who reminds the rest of them that some BC fans still hang their hat on a Cotton Bowl played 26 years ago.
06-20-2011 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-20-2011 12:44 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  Read this yesterday and the comments are fantastic. Lots of people who called this a puff piece and noted that BC has grown rather stagnant.

One who reminds the rest of them that some BC fans still hang their hat on a Cotton Bowl played 26 years ago.
Those are the BC fans who also conveniently forget that WVU is the only team Flutie never beat. I say screw the traitors. If they're going to come back, let them crawl over after we surpass 'em...
06-20-2011 12:51 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Who cares about BC? I mean they are not Penn State, miami, FSU etc that would be huge to the Big East. Even if BC came back it would not change much in the league's perception. We would be adding a team that hasnt been to a BCS bowl, horrible fan traveling base and one thathas little TV name exposure outside of the Boston area.
06-20-2011 01:03 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Despite the market, Boston College is not the type of school this league needs. I'm glad there happy but I wish we would have never made the offer for them to come back. We need schools in this league that have large fan bases. This league needs more Uconn types and fewer BC types

Jackson
06-20-2011 01:08 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Agree. I'd even go as far to say ECU > BC.
06-20-2011 01:11 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I guess the best way to piss off BC would be adding Umass to the Big East.
06-20-2011 01:18 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-20-2011 01:08 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  Despite the market, Boston College is not the type of school this league needs. I'm glad there happy but I wish we would have never made the offer for them to come back. We need schools in this league that have large fan bases. This league needs more Uconn types and fewer BC types

Jackson

Well, to be fair, BC and UConn have basically the same sized football fan base.

Cheers,
Neil
06-20-2011 02:56 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(06-20-2011 02:56 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(06-20-2011 01:08 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  Despite the market, Boston College is not the type of school this league needs. I'm glad there happy but I wish we would have never made the offer for them to come back. We need schools in this league that have large fan bases. This league needs more Uconn types and fewer BC types

Jackson

Cheers,
Neil

Think it will still be the same in ten years? I forsee Uconn football taking off (from a fan base standpoint) just like it has in hoops

Jackson
06-20-2011 03:22 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(06-20-2011 03:22 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  Think it will still be the same in ten years? I forsee Uconn football taking off (from a fan base standpoint) just like it has in hoops

Probably not enough football fans in the Nutmeg State to make that happen, as Yale has found out.
06-20-2011 05:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Yale had plenty of fans when they were relevant in the college football world. But once the Ivy League deemphasized sports, that ended their glory...
06-20-2011 05:55 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-20-2011 05:55 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Yale had plenty of fans when they were relevant in the college football world. But once the Ivy League deemphasized sports, that ended their glory...

Exactly and no one was there to fill the void until about 10 years ago.
06-20-2011 08:45 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-20-2011 03:22 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  
(06-20-2011 02:56 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Jackson

Cheers,
Neil

Think it will still be the same in ten years? I forsee Uconn football taking off (from a fan base standpoint) just like it has in hoops

Jackson

But it really hasn't in hoops when one factors in the success of the UConn bb program for over two decades now.

Prior to the Calhoun success years they were averaging over 7K and once they started to have sustained success in the early 90s their average rose to 11K-13K where it has remained since. About where WVU is now with their most recent bb achievements, which doesn't include three NCs in the past 12 years.

I don't see UConn's football attendance growing much beyond where it is right now unless it becomes a program with VT like success on the field. And even then, it's not a given.

Anymore than I see Syracuse or BC growing much beyond 45K with more success on the field.

Cheers,
Neil
06-20-2011 09:07 PM
Advertisement

uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
If BC gets kicked out of the ACC, I hope we don't offer them an invite to the Big East. I'd love to see them die quickly, though watching them die painfully in the ACC is amusing as well.
06-20-2011 10:06 PM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-20-2011 11:48 AM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(06-20-2011 09:51 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  This article makes me wish that we never put these clowns back on the schedule. If they are so successful in the acc, why look to a BE team for a rivalry game? It also says that the BE has a standing invitation for BC to return to the BE.

Looks like maybe the Big East contacted BC and asked if they'd be interested since the $$$ will be about the same or maybe a bit more. This is their reply through the media.

Can't say that I blame them. Though I'd definitely prefer playing Cincinnati and Connecticut to Duke and Wake in football. And I'd say playing Louisville and Rutgers isn't that much different from playing Virginia and Maryland.

WVU, Pitt, TCU, and SU would be at least comparable for them to VT, UNC, Clemson, and GT - better rivalries helps compensate in some of these cases.

But USF and UCF just aren't FSU and Miami. Down the road 20 years or so they might be, just not now.

Cheers,
Neil

bottom line is if usf stays the only florida team in the be, i can easily see usf on a miami/fsu level in 20 years or at least a consistent top 15 va tech type team. if we add ucf, than i'm afraid we're looking at two mediocre programs going forward.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 07:40 AM by USFMike.)
06-22-2011 07:40 AM
Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(06-22-2011 07:40 AM)USFMike Wrote:  
(06-20-2011 11:48 AM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

bottom line is if usf stays the only florida team in the be, i can easily see usf on a miami/fsu level in 20 years or at least a consistent top 15 va tech type team. if we add ucf, than i'm afraid we're looking at two mediocre programs going forward.

Exactly. And USF is big enough that there's really no need to add a 2nd team to capture the market in that part of the state.

With 4 AQ teams & 3 NFL teams, Florida is in danger of becoming saturated with football programs despite the large population & high interest in the sport in that state.
06-24-2011 07:37 AM
Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(06-20-2011 10:06 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  If BC gets kicked out of the ACC, I hope we don't offer them an invite to the Big East. I'd love to see them die quickly, though watching them die painfully in the ACC is amusing as well.

It's not possible for BC to be "kicked out" of the ACC. They are a full fledged member & will remain that way unless they choose to leave - which will never happen under the current administration.
06-24-2011 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.