Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ok, now its official, no excuses for....
Bookmark and Share
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Ok, now its official, no excuses for....
Not going back to the MAC. This is the first time i have ever said it, for rhe record. I am not a MAC troll. I have been the staunchest defender of the cusa move you will ever see and when we made much more frm TV, it made sense.

But now? MAC has better tv exposure with espn. No more worrying about finding the channel with espn3 for EVERY GAME. And the MAC will pay better.

Competition - The mac was better than cusa last year. Has schools that are established. No difference in competition.

Travel - about every MAC game is a pretty easy drive. Awesme for our fans. Not to mention the history we have with those teams. Plus we save a ton on travel that is no longer offset with greater tv revenue.

Access bowl - MAC gives us better exposure and just as good or better competition. Undefeated there or here, and we are in, or a serious contender, just the same.

Now, I know many are going to talk about tuesday night games. But really? We don't have night games hardly ever now and they are awesome to have at the joan. Attendance will not suffer as much as many would think. We play on thursday occasionally and every black friday at noon now, and thats a terrible time slot.

I am not seeing any reason to stay in CUSA. The MAC now offers more, than CUSA does, and that may be tough to hear and accept, but it is true.
01-15-2016 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Ok, now its official, no excuses for....
(01-15-2016 09:36 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Not going back to the MAC. This is the first time i have ever said it, for rhe record. I am not a MAC troll. I have been the staunchest defender of the cusa move you will ever see and when we made much more frm TV, it made sense.

But now? MAC has better tv exposure with espn. No more worrying about finding the channel with espn3 for EVERY GAME. And the MAC will pay better.

Competition - The mac was better than cusa last year. Has schools that are established. No difference in competition.

Travel - about every MAC game is a pretty easy drive. Awesme for our fans. Not to mention the history we have with those teams. Plus we save a ton on travel that is no longer offset with greater tv revenue.

Access bowl - MAC gives us better exposure and just as good or better competition. Undefeated there or here, and we are in, or a serious contender, just the same.

Now, I know many are going to talk about tuesday night games. But really? We don't have night games hardly ever now and they are awesome to have at the joan. Attendance will not suffer as much as many would think. We play on thursday occasionally and every black friday at noon now, and thats a terrible time slot.

I am not seeing any reason to stay in CUSA. The MAC now offers more, than CUSA does, and that may be tough to hear and accept, but it is true.
I'm certainly no expert on Marshall fans, but I would think that a school like Marshall would have much of their fanbase out of state since there isn't much incentive to stay in West Virginia with a college degree. Unless you don't get many alums coming back for home games and rely mostly on the local population, it seems like attendance would tank for weekday games. Nobody is driving to Huntington from Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, or other large alumni hubs for a Tuesday or Wednesday night game.

Aside from that, I largely agree with your assessment. MAC is probably a better geographic and cultural fit for Marshall than CUSA is.
01-15-2016 09:44 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Ok, now its official, no excuses for....
(01-15-2016 09:36 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  Not going back to the MAC. This is the first time i have ever said it, for rhe record. I am not a MAC troll. I have been the staunchest defender of the cusa move you will ever see and when we made much more frm TV, it made sense.

Damn dude....you need to chill out. CUSA is still a much better option over the Mac. Lets just wait and see what unfolds over the next couple years. Considering going back to the Mac is a bonehead move on many levels. The last thing we need to do is take a step backwards. Hell just the previous year we were the best G5 football conference in America. Just let it go and lets see how it plays out.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 09:55 AM by MUHERD76.)
01-15-2016 09:53 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Huntington fits in perfectly with all those declining Rust Belt cities.
01-15-2016 10:02 AM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WVU Marshall
(01-15-2016 09:53 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Damn dude....you need to chill out. CUSA is still a much better option over the Mac. Lets just wait and see what unfolds over the next couple years. Considering going back to the Mac is a bonehead move on many levels. The last thing we need to do is take a step backwards. Hell just the previous year we were the best G5 football conference in America. Just let it go and lets see how it plays out.

If Marshall doesnt go back to the MAC, or can't go to AAC, then Indy is better. CUSA can keep the money and give us a bowl tie in and the Herd can schedule Louisiana Tech and USM and see if if it could count as a conference game for them. Marshall can schedule who they want and the fans would be more interested. It was discussed on another thread Marshall probably makes $300k+ less playing ODU at home compared to Ohio U coming here, that adds up. A better schedule can make that money back. $500k isn't the end of the world but hopefully it's the final straw. Marshall loses in every way being here, from SOS to travel costs. CUSA east teams can't even give the Herd a good crowd when they play.

"I like WVU, Marshall plays easy teams." -10 year old nephew

"UAB? Who the F*** is that" -sister in law

"They got their perfect season ruined by some trash team Ive never even heard of."- co worker (and alot of others)

I liked the move to CUSA but CUSA is gone. Lets go.
01-15-2016 10:38 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2016 10:38 AM)polkhigh Wrote:  

If Marshall doesnt go back to the MAC, or can't go to AAC, then Indy is better. CUSA can keep the money and give us a bowl tie in and the Herd can schedule Louisiana Tech and USM and see if if it could count as a conference game for them. Marshall can schedule who they want and the fans would be more interested. It was discussed on another thread Marshall probably makes $300k+ less playing ODU at home compared to Ohio U coming here, that adds up. A better schedule can make that money back. $500k isn't the end of the world but hopefully it's the final straw. Marshall loses in every way being here, from SOS to travel costs. CUSA east teams can't even give the Herd a good crowd when they play.

"I like WVU, Marshall plays easy teams." -10 year old nephew

"They got their perfect season ruined by some trash team Ive never even heard of."- co worker (and alot of others)

I liked the move to CUSA but CUSA is gone. Lets go.

And what are you going to do with the rest of your sports? Marshall's performance in non-revenue sports is abysmal. Why would any conference take Marshall if they're not getting football unless they're desperate to add another member? You guys were in CUSA for like 10 years before you won a conference championship in any sport.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 10:45 AM by Niner National.)
01-15-2016 10:45 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Lighten up Francis.

We are just one year removed from being the top ranked G5. We had a bad year. Basketball is a dumpster fire though and we need some serious leadership on that.

But we don't know all the details yet. What if it still comes out to $1 million per school?

What if ESPN buys in and sublets to ASN putting us on ESPN's streaming platform and nationally across ASN's OTA network simultaneously?

Let's see what the facts are before we go all psycho on the board.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 10:49 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
01-15-2016 10:48 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Quote:and give us a bowl tie in and the Herd can schedule Louisiana Tech and USM and see if if it could count as a conference game for them

WOULD NEVER happen in a million years.

A) The NCAA would put a Kibosh on that in a heartbeat. Hell, Notre Dame and the ACC had to jump through a MILLION hoops to even get that proposal under consideration for their schools, and Marshall doesn't have the name/branding power of Notre Dame.

B) You want C-USA to give a non C-USA school a bowl tie in? Not going to happen. You leave a conference, you're just SOL and have to deal with the bowls on your own as an independent tie in.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 10:54 AM by DaSaintFan.)
01-15-2016 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

I'm not convinced about that....hoops as it currently sits is a wash (1 bid league) and regional exposure with the Marshall brand of football makes the MAC stronger and could only weaken the perception of CUSA moving forward.....

it's going to be interesting to see this phase play out.....

there are many scenarios in play right now.....who and how they jockey for position is going to be a hoot to watch (and I already know we don't have a dog that can hunt)
01-15-2016 10:56 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-15-2016 10:38 AM)polkhigh Wrote:  "I like WVU, Marshall plays easy teams." -10 year old nephew

MAC (nor AAC) will help this perception. The only reason to go to the MAC would be for an extra $300,000 a year or so. Depends on how desperate for money your athletic dept is.
01-15-2016 11:00 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-15-2016 10:54 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
Quote:and give us a bowl tie in and the Herd can schedule Louisiana Tech and USM and see if if it could count as a conference game for them

A) The NCAA would put a Kibosh on that in a heartbeat. Hell, Notre Dame and the ACC had to jump through a MILLION hoops to even get that proposal under consideration for their schools, and Marshall doesn't have the name/branding power of Notre Dame.

B) You want C-USA to give a non C-USA school a bowl tie in? Not going to happen. You leave a conference, you're just SOL and have to deal with the bowls on your own as an independent tie in.

I pondered the premise of going indy a few years ago when the first wave of realignment began.....it was a silly thought I had in anger knowing that southern miss was fk'd.....

going indy is a death sentence for any g5 team....
01-15-2016 11:01 AM
Advertisement

polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

If Marshall leaves that's one less hand in the pot. You'd be getting more and CUSA didn't even fill all their bowl tie-ins this year. Again, there is some more money for you guys.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 11:10 AM by polkhigh.)
01-15-2016 11:02 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

Polk, I'm not saying they should/shouldn't do it. That's up to a school's administration to decide what's best for them,

But if the decision is made to do it, don't even think about asking C-USA to help pick up the tab for the decision.
01-15-2016 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-15-2016 11:02 AM)polkhigh Wrote:  

If Marshall leaves that's one less hand in the pot. You'd be getting more and CUSA didn't even fill all their bowl tie-ins this year. Again, there is some more money for you guys.

What leverage do you think you guys would have in this discussion?

"Do it or else we'll leave" ???
01-15-2016 11:23 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
I don't like the idea of going independent. I don't think that would work financially. And lets drop the "step backwards" line, because its not anymore. It is no competetively, and used to be for financial reasons. I can see not wanting to walk away from the extra tv money, but now? Thats gone.

If you take Marshall from cusa and back to the MAC, the balance of which conference is better on the field certainly shifts to the MAC.

And we were never the highest ranked G5, we were 2nd, 2 years ago.

Its no offense to any other cusa school here, I am not suggesting the MAC is a better conference for any other school, except Marshall, because we do travel a lot of fans and the MAC games give us another 4 games we can travel to each season, and we save so much money on travel and get more money from TV, with no drop in competition, and get ESPN, it seems like a no brainer to me.

As for attendance on weeknights, we always had good crowds for night games against Miami OH, etc at night. I remember the joan rocking during those games. Marshall has alumni everywhere, but we have a solid 22k fanbase locally that can and do come to those games, that come rain, shine, or snow. Im perfectly fine playing a cpuple tuesday games, we do Thursdays and fridays now, with the friday on black friday in the worst time slot ever anyway, so its no big deal. Its an excuse and a "i am better than you because we play saturday" type of argument.
01-15-2016 11:23 AM
triplegood Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Life
(01-15-2016 11:23 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  I don't like the idea of going independent. I don't think that would work financially. And lets drop the "step backwards" line, because its not anymore. It is no competetively, and used to be for financial reasons. I can see not wanting to walk away from the extra tv money, but now? Thats gone.

If you take Marshall from cusa and back to the MAC, the balance of which conference is better on the field certainly shifts to the MAC.

And we were never the highest ranked G5, we were 2nd, 2 years ago.

Its no offense to any other cusa school here, I am not suggesting the MAC is a better conference for any other school, except Marshall, because we do travel a lot of fans and the MAC games give us another 4 games we can travel to each season, and we save so much money on travel and get more money from TV, with no drop in competition, and get ESPN, it seems like a no brainer to me.

As for attendance on weeknights, we always had good crowds for night games against Miami OH, etc at night. I remember the joan rocking during those games. Marshall has alumni everywhere, but we have a solid 22k fanbase locally that can and do come to those games, that come rain, shine, or snow. Im perfectly fine playing a cpuple tuesday games, we do Thursdays and fridays now, with the friday on black friday in the worst time slot ever anyway, so its no big deal. Its an excuse and a "i am better than you because we play saturday" type of argument.

Marshall is NOT going back to the MAC. End of Story. Next!
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 11:36 AM by triplegood.)
01-15-2016 11:36 AM
Advertisement

polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2016 10:45 AM)Niner National Wrote:  And what are you going to do with the rest of your sports? Marshall's performance in non-revenue sports is abysmal. Why would any conference take Marshall if they're not getting football unless they're desperate to add another member? You guys were in CUSA for like 10 years before you won a conference championship in any sport.

Even if Marshall went indy and could stick everything else in the MVC, CAA, or A10 thats pretty ok. Those teams in those conferences (if they would have us ) would know they could take turns coming here to play a football game each year. They get a chance at another extra pay day and be on Root Sports Pittsburgh at the least and Marshall has a chance at picking up a 7th home game.

I wouldn't be depressed about playing any of those guys In basketball and have them for a warm up in football. I know you guys hate hearing it but the current situation has to change.
01-15-2016 11:43 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

You're not going back to the MAC and going independent would be really really stupid. That is all.
01-15-2016 11:44 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
PANIC will only worsen the situation.Just play MORE OOC games with close MAC members(in all sports).
01-15-2016 12:19 PM
polkhigh Offline
Special Teams

Then we need to drop to 12 and CUSA needs to put USM and Louisiana Tech on MU's schedule as much as possible. Also, of the 12 left, need to start looking at replacing some programs with possibly Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Georgia State, and Texas State. The "markets" strategy was a failure like we all knew since day one so let's undo that and get it right like should've been done to begin with.

College football is supposed to be fun, CUSA east isn't fun. Next year Marshall plays Louisville, Pitt, USM, and who ever else. Win or lose the Herd is playing the same old bowl game in Florida against another MAC or AAC school.
01-15-2016 12:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.