ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Improvements you'd like to see for the next game
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Exclamation Improvements you'd like to see for the next game
That was a terrible game and i am sure none of us liked how it went. I will say this though, they are the better team and this could've been much worse. That said what do you like to see for the next game as a metric for improvement? For me personally i'd like Rahne to stop acting like a scared kitty and experiment around. Clock management needs to be addressed better and some of these bone headed penalties needs to stop. If we can switch and experiment around play calling when something isn't working i'd call it an improvement. Rahne reminded of Wilder in few aspects tonight. I hope i am wrong but he better address these things ASAP.
09-18-2021 10:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Improvements you'd like to see for the next game
This was the first game I've seen this year. My impressions are:

1. Mack is WAY TOO SLOW in his reads, both on the option plays and on his passes.

2. The O line played awful.

3. 1 + 2 above = A long season. Can Wolf or another QB do worse?

4. That giant TE is a stud.

I have to go cry now.
09-19-2021 01:01 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
1. The outcome was pretty much as expected.

2. Mack indeed seems to be slow on his reads and at times indecisive.
However, I am not sure if it is because of him, or his receivers are not making THEIR reads properly and/or running their routes properly. The WRs certainly have the "dropsies" AND, for the third game in a row (yeah, even vs Hampton), got little or no separation on medium to long routes.

3. The OL played well in the first half. The second half was like deja vu all over again. Liberty stacked the box, ran some run/pass blitzes, which shut down our rushing game and at the same time put pressure on the QB stopping our passing game.

I personally think that Wolff is our best QB option, but Mack adds that extra dimension of running himself in the read option. We don't really know what Wolff can do with THIS offense, as we have not seen him against a first team defense.

Changes?
1. First and foremost, fix the receivers on offense.

2. Opposing receivers getting behind our secondary is also going to bite us in the you-know-what eventually.

3. The really dumb "agression" penalties must stop.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021 01:28 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-19-2021 01:30 AM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

Improvements you'd like to see for the next game
If Wolff doesn't get at least a chance to start I'm going to scream. Damn the scheme in this case. Put the best QB in and see what he does.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
09-19-2021 07:55 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

One +, Steven Williams starting to come into his own as linebacker. Corners have got to stop arm tackling so much. Missing way to mant tackles.
With all our problems, LaLa Davis is an absolute stud and Kuntz is an emerging star.
09-19-2021 08:09 AM
Justice2318 Offline
Special Teams

I agree on Mack and his slow reads and slow to make a decision, its pretty painful. Would love to see that improve. And yes Davis and Kuntz are good. Just imagine how good they would be with improved QB play.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2021 09:56 AM by Justice2318.)
09-19-2021 09:55 AM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I would like to see our playmakers, make more plays. Maybe use Lala out of the backfield more, little open field he's very good. Need to give Mack more protection. Thought we had a good OL. Maybe not or LU was just a better line on D. Receivers need to make more catches and get better separation. We need to see less costly penalties, don't want to get a rep for a teams that fouls a lot. Offense needs to find it's flow and move the chains. Mack has the tools, I think he just doesn't trust himself to make the plays. Every 3rd down, there seemed to be no confidence with the team.
09-19-2021 11:13 AM
TedHead Offline
1st String

I would like to see improvement on 3rd down. Both offense and defense. We can't convert 3rd and short let alone 3rd and long, and we can't get off the field on defense with 3rd down plays long or short.
09-19-2021 11:36 AM
ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

I would like to see us get at least 1 first down before the game is halfway through the second quarter.
09-19-2021 03:22 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2021 07:55 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  If Wolff doesn't get at least a chance to start I'm going to scream. Damn the scheme in this case. Put the best QB in and see what he does.

Im not sure why people are so convinced Wolff is the better QB.
09-19-2021 03:27 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Our WRS are brutal right now. They have decided to go with youth at that position over more experence (Blount, Fitz, Moore). Im actually surprised the staff things the young guys are better options....they must see something but those guys have not stepped up to this point. Some of that is on them and some in certainly on the QB.

Run defense....actually much better than I expected. 4.4 ypc even with a 56 yard run. Thats not gonna kill you.

Pass defense- atrocious. Don't talk smack and then let them move the ball all over the field on you. I had more concerns about the front 6 than I did the back half, but the back half was terrible.

Figure out a way to get the passing game going. I would try more quick passes to limit the reads from Mack and get the ball out of his hands. Some more RPOs that the TE post.

Im confident that the running game will be fine.

I don't see us beating Buffalo but I think we get a couple CUSA wins.
09-19-2021 03:37 PM
Advertisement

Monarch1987 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-19-2021 03:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(09-19-2021 07:55 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  If Wolff doesn't get at least a chance to start I'm going to scream. Damn the scheme in this case. Put the best QB in and see what he does.

Throws a better more accurate ball. Kid has nice touch on his throws, but not sure about his mobility and decision making.
09-19-2021 03:44 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-19-2021 03:37 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Our WRS are brutal right now. They have decided to go with youth at that position over more experence (Blount, Fitz, Moore). Im actually surprised the staff things the young guys are better options....they must see something but those guys have not stepped up to this point. Some of that is on them and some in certainly on the QB.

Run defense....actually much better than I expected. 4.4 ypc even with a 56 yard run. Thats not gonna kill you.

Pass defense- atrocious. Don't talk smack and then let them move the ball all over the field on you. I had more concerns about the front 6 than I did the back half, but the back half was terrible.

Figure out a way to get the passing game going. I would try more quick passes to limit the reads from Mack and get the ball out of his hands. Some more RPOs that the TE post.

Im confident that the running game will be fine.

I don't see us beating Buffalo but I think we get a couple CUSA wins.

I am not sure what to make of the fabric of reality when I am in complete agreement with Giles, (j/k) but this is spot on.

03-thumbsup
09-19-2021 04:02 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(09-19-2021 03:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Cause he can actually throw the ball to receivers. The whole deal with Mack is that he's supposed to be more mobile and a threat to run the ball. But the defense never bites on him keeping it when he hands it off, and is extremely ineffective when he does run the ball. And since the defense knows the QB can't throw the ball, they just stack the box which makes the run game more ineffective. So if the only reason why you're not playing a QB is because they're less mobile, but the more mobile QB is completely ineffective and actually makes the run game worse, then I don't know why you wouldn't put in the better throwing QB in that situation. What do you lose?
09-19-2021 04:09 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Wolff has averaged 5.8 yards per pass this year. The 4 games he played 2 years ago were 5.7 ypa. Granted Mack is lower this year but 5.8 would not be an effective passing game either. When Wolff has been in, he hasnt looked like a guy that can just dominate the team through the air. Maybe Im wrong, but he hasn't shown it.

I really doubt Wolff is lighting things up in practice and the staff is refusing to start him.
09-19-2021 04:13 PM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

(09-19-2021 04:13 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Wolff has averaged 5.8 yards per pass this year. The 4 games he played 2 years ago were 5.7 ypa. Granted Mack is lower this year but 5.8 would not be an effective passing game either. When Wolff has been in, he hasnt looked like a guy that can just dominate the team through the air. Maybe Im wrong, but he hasn't shown it.

I really doubt Wolff is lighting things up in practice and the staff is refusing to start him.

We don't need to be dominant in the air, we just need to be a threat to open up running lanes. Mack ain't doing that.
09-19-2021 04:16 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2021 04:16 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  
(09-19-2021 04:13 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Wolff has averaged 5.8 yards per pass this year. The 4 games he played 2 years ago were 5.7 ypa. Granted Mack is lower this year but 5.8 would not be an effective passing game either. When Wolff has been in, he hasnt looked like a guy that can just dominate the team through the air. Maybe Im wrong, but he hasn't shown it.

We don't need to be dominant in the air, we just need to be a threat to open up running lanes. Mack ain't doing that.

Our running game has been fine with Mack. Do we know it would not be hurt going to Wolff?
09-19-2021 04:19 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(09-19-2021 04:19 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Our running game has been fine with Mack. Do we know it would not be hurt going to Wolff?
Do we know that Mack is hurting the running game by being an ineffective passer? Wolff didn't seem to hurt the running game when he has been in there, but we won't really know for sure until he starts a game. You don't alway have to be sure about something to try it.
09-19-2021 04:35 PM
Monarch Pride Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bleed Blue!
We need to play a complete, consistent game against an FBS team. There are times our offense and defense look outstanding - but then there are times they make critical errors that swing the game. This is a symptom of a young team that should cure over time. I respect our coach immensely, but we have to decide our offensive philosophy. If we are a knock your * in the dirt via the o-line and a QB that can run (that every team will easily game plan for), then we should stick w/Mack. If we want to be more dynamic w/a passing game, then it’s time for Wolff.
09-19-2021 04:39 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2021 04:35 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(09-19-2021 04:19 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Do we know that Mack is hurting the running game by being an ineffective passer? Wolff didn't seem to hurt the running game when he has been in there, but we won't really know for sure until he starts a game. You don't alway have to be sure about something to try it.

Its not likely that someone is going to perform differently in practice than they do in the game. We have faced 2 defenses that would have overwelmed our offense with any of our QBs under center.

The advantage of Mack is that it is another runner that teams have to prepare for. It gives them an numbers advantage in the box.

I would probably go Wolff but I would not expect good things from him. He hasn't looked ready. At this point, I still trust the staff to play the best players. They see these guys every day. We see them for 3 hours a week.
09-19-2021 04:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.