Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The Big East, the NYC market and future expansion
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I was very encouraged this week to see that Mikey T and the Big East office quickly pounced on the idea of a Big East Tie-in to the NYC bowl

--However...one of the more interestng things to come out of this NYC news is the idea that Fuhrman (spelling ?) would consider jumping back up to division I(and into the BE) if the staduim got done....I have seen this kind of blip in two seperate articles recently....and while I doubt Furhman will make that jump it might signal the intention of the BE to really gain control of the NYC market for college football

--If not Furhman....then who?? My guess is that the BE would still like to have Army and Navy in the league for football in some capacity....the New York Times article already mentioned the fact that the new stadium and the city of NY would be very interested in hosting the Army-Navy game...it might behoove the BE to include them in the league in some fashion...which would help the league get more exposure in the world's media capital and help immensly with the Big East TV contract....The BE version of rivalry week would include Army-Navy, Pitt- West VIrginia, Louisville-UC and maybe an up and coming new one...say Uconn- Syracuse....I think that rivalry lineup matches favorably with any league in the country

--Also...I think ND would be more likely to join a BE football league that included Army and Navy then one that does not....

---anyway....this NYC bowl stuff is really good new for the league...and from what it sounds like something else may be in the works between NYC and the BE offices

Jackson
06-14-2004 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Jackson1011 Wrote:I was very encouraged this week to see that Mikey T and the Big East office quickly pounced on the idea of a Big East Tie-in to the NYC bowl

--However...one of the more interestng things to come out of this NYC news is the idea that Fuhrman (spelling ?) would consider jumping back up to division I(and into the BE) if the staduim got done....I have seen this kind of blip in two seperate articles recently....and while I doubt Furhman will make that jump it might signal the intention of the BE to really gain control of the NYC market for college football

--If not Furhman....then who?? My guess is that the BE would still like to have Army and Navy in the league for football in some capacity....the New York Times article already mentioned the fact that the new stadium and the city of NY would be very interested in hosting the Army-Navy game...it might behoove the BE to include them in the league in some fashion...which would help the league get more exposure in the world's media capital and help immensly with the Big East TV contract....The BE version of rivalry week would include Army-Navy, Pitt- West VIrginia, Louisville-UC and maybe an up and coming new one...say Uconn- Syracuse....I think that rivalry lineup matches favorably with any league in the country

--Also...I think ND would be more likely to join a BE football league that included Army and Navy then one that does not....

---anyway....this NYC bowl stuff is really good new for the league...and from what it sounds like something else may be in the works between NYC and the BE offices

Jackson
It is Fordham, the school that produced Vincent T. Lombardi.
06-14-2004 08:25 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Yeah, Fordham currently resides in the A-10 in basketball and football (lower level). Their basketball program is HORRIBLE, but if they ever did move up they would probably do a Temple deal, keep all their sports in the A-10 and join the Big East football-only That would be interesting, if/when the Big East splits I guess they could add Memphis and ECU, get to 10 teams and add Army/Navy for a 12 team league.
06-14-2004 11:22 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

[Yeah, Fordham currently resides in the A-10 in basketball and football (lower level). Their basketball program is HORRIBLE, but if they ever did move up they would probably do a Temple deal, keep all their sports in the A-10 and join the Big East football-only That would be interesting, if/when the Big East splits I guess they could add Memphis and ECU, get to 10 teams and add Army/Navy for a 12 team league. QUOTE]

--I know this is a long shot....but don't forget Notre Dame....since the ACC raid....a lot of moves the BE has made has been done with one eye on the Irish.....adding Marquette and DePaul....getting a tie-in to the bowl in Indy...the NYC bowl is something ND would be very interested in

--I think this could apply to the academies as well....ND loves them (especially Navy)

--I find it interesting that the BE isn't trying to tie itself to more Southern Bowls....if future expansion is going to include Memphis and/or ECU....one would think that would be in the works as well....I don't know how high attendance would be for a Memphis bowl game in NYC

Jackson
06-15-2004 07:52 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

That's a great point Jackson, all signs do point to the Big East making Notre Dame feel more comfortable. It is interesting that the BE isn't going after southern bowls. They have South Florida right now so they do have a school in the southern parts. But I guess it really isn't a southern community down there. That is pretty interesting.
06-15-2004 09:22 AM
NYORL Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

cat, ucf could be a futre partner for usf. if that happens the series will be called the i-4 war. ucf has 40,000 who love winning football, citrus, and a promising basketball program that made the tourney(ask pitt about them). also a new b-ball arena is in place.
06-15-2004 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

NYORL Wrote:cat, ucf could be a futre partner for usf. if that happens the series will be called the i-4 war. ucf has 40,000 who love winning football, citrus, and a promising basketball program that made the tourney(ask pitt about them). also a new b-ball arena is in place.
You're right, I forgot about Central Florida! I'm really shocked that the Big East didn't add them on a football-only basis, but I guess it was probably hard enough to convince the Big East schools to add one Florida school right now.
06-15-2004 03:32 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

Jackson1011 Wrote:--I find it interesting that the BE isn't trying to tie itself to more Southern Bowls....if future expansion is going to include Memphis and/or ECU....one would think that would be in the works as well....I don't know how high attendance would be for a Memphis bowl game in NYC
With the current list of teams...it wouldn't make sense to go after a southern bowl. Plus, where Memphis goes, the Liberty Bowl will follow (per the chairman of the Liberty Bowl committee)...so that would almost instantly add a southern bowl game (could be instant, depending on the contract situation).

FYI...the Liberty Bowl payout is currently around $1.6 mil and expected to go up with a new title sponsor (AutoZone).
06-15-2004 05:45 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

It is my hope that the Big East adds Memphis. It makes absolute sense to do so.
06-15-2004 05:58 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

[ It is my hope that the Big East adds Memphis. It makes absolute sense to do so. QUOTE]

I agree...I think Memphis just makes sense for the BE

-- But a lot of this stuff that has come out with the NYC bowl is interesting....Mikey T talking about the "eastern" region trying to catch up in terms of college football fan interest....again...why make such a big deal about the NYC bowl and Eastern football if the teams we are going to add our 1000s of miles away....Why all this talk about Fodham??

-- It sounds like ideally that BE football schools would like to add Notre Dame, Penn St, Army and Navy.... that league would indead control the East and NYC marktet...perhaps if the academies are added...that may spark more ND interst....also if the academies are included in some fashion....we may be able to form some kind of academic alliance that could at least make a competive offer to Penn ST

--Of course....I know all that is a long shot....so what to do if that doesn't occur....would the BE really consder brining up schools like Umass or Fordham....from the comments I read it sounds like Mikey T would consider it.....

--I don't know whats going on behind the scenes.....maybe nothing.....but a lot of the comments that hace come out recently are certainly strange....maybe the Memphis/ECU/UCF stuff isn't the lock we thought it was

Jackson
06-15-2004 06:35 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

Crappies

Jackson1011 Wrote:--I don't know whats going on behind the scenes.....maybe nothing.....but a lot of the comments that hace come out recently are certainly strange....maybe the Memphis/ECU/UCF stuff isn't the lock we thought it was
I haven't put much stock in it happening...and won't put too much stock in it happening.

There's more to the story than us not making sense geographically.
06-15-2004 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

You know, the things you're talking about Jackson makes it seem like the Big East isn't going to split, or at least not do so anytime soon. If Army, Navy and potentially Fordham are added and the Big East tries to woo Notre Dame they wouldn't have to split. But if the Big East tries to get Penn State that might be when they decide to split. I'm guessing that the Big East is looking at an All-Sports conference that looks like this:

West Virginia
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Syracuse
South Florida
Rutger

Notre Dame in the other sports and either football full-time or a partial basis

Navy
Army
Fordham on a football-only basis

While eyeing UMass and Penn State in All-Sports. Looks like the Big East is finally settling down and coming up with a plan.

One other thing the Big East could do is add Memphis and ECU in All-Sports and then try and woo Penn State and Notre Dame. The Big East will has a lot of options, some options more realistic then others, but definitely options.
06-15-2004 11:39 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Cat's Claw....it seems like any scenerio is possible

It sounds like:

#1 It seems the BE wants the NYC bowl to be for the BE what the Sugar Bowl is the for the SEC....the natural place for the conference championship....kinda of the heart of the conference

#2 In order to gain media attenion in NY...furture expansion should include Eastern teams

[While eyeing UMass and Penn State in All-Sports. Looks like the Big East is finally settling down and coming up with a plan.
QUOTE]

--the Big East is going to have to add some academic muscle in order to get more then a passing glance from Penn St....WVU, UC and Louisville bring down the BE academic record a bit.....Again...if the BE needs some academic muscle to form a confernce that goes beyond sports ....Army and Navy would be just what the doctor ordered

Jackson
06-16-2004 07:45 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:[ It is my hope that the Big East adds Memphis. It makes absolute sense to do so. QUOTE]

I agree...I think Memphis just makes sense for the BE

-- But a lot of this stuff that has come out with the NYC bowl is interesting....Mikey T talking about the "eastern" region trying to catch up in terms of college football fan interest....again...why make such a big deal about the NYC bowl and Eastern football if the teams we are going to add our 1000s of miles away....Why all this talk about Fodham??

-- It sounds like ideally that BE football schools would like to add Notre Dame, Penn St, Army and Navy.... that league would indead control the East and NYC marktet...perhaps if the academies are added...that may spark more ND interst....also if the academies are included in some fashion....we may be able to form some kind of academic alliance that could at least make a competive offer to Penn ST

--Of course....I know all that is a long shot....so what to do if that doesn't occur....would the BE really consder brining up schools like Umass or Fordham....from the comments I read it sounds like Mikey T would consider it.....

--I don't know whats going on behind the scenes.....maybe nothing.....but a lot of the comments that hace come out recently are certainly strange....maybe the Memphis/ECU/UCF stuff isn't the lock we thought it was

Jackson
The only place I've seen anything mentioned about Fordham was speculation by a newspaper writer from NYC. No one in the Big East has so much as mentioned the university in passing as far as I know. UMASS is dirt poor, its common knowledge that they simply cant afford to go 1-A.

I think Boston College is more of a target than either of the schools mentioned above. I think the Army/Navy deal with the end goal bein Notre Dame might also be an idea swirling around out there. Either way it seems Mike's new strategy is to put a choke hold on the largest media market in the world to ensure the Big East is ALWAYS a major player in CFB no matter what some in the ACC may want to happen to the league.
06-16-2004 08:40 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

That makes sense Jackson. You know, this makes Boston College's move to the ACC look even worse. Not only is the Big East alive and well and still look better geographically then the ACC, BC blew a chance at going to a BCS bowl. With the Big East Boston College could grow with the conference, recruit well, and have a second chance at building a national contender while helping to attract Notre Dame and Penn State. This should be interesting.
06-16-2004 09:07 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

[I think Boston College is more of a target than either of the schools mentioned above. I think the Army/Navy deal with the end goal bein Notre Dame might also be an idea swirling around out there. Either way it seems Mike's new strategy is to put a choke hold on the largest media market in the world to ensure the Big East is ALWAYS a major player in CFB no matter what some in the ACC may want to happen to the league.

QUOTE]

L-Yes....I would argue that the real target is Penn St...not Boston College....I think a lot of people underestimate how hurt/angery many BE officials were when the Eagles left....several BE teams have vowed not to play them ever again....besides....BC is SCARED to death of UConn and there potential.....they were/are looking for anyway to seperate themeselves from the Huskies

--As for Penn St....Joe Pa has gone on recrod as saying the BE is a better fit for his school sports wise...but the PSU will never leave the Big 10 because of that leagu's academic alliance....however if the BE adds Notre Dame and Army/Navy and forms a similar alliance for academics.....we may be able to at least put forth a competitive offer to PSU....A Big East made up of the current football members, ND and Army and NAvy would be Joe Pa's Eastern football league dream come true....vurtually every road game for PSU (except ND and USF) would be well withing driving range of the Nittany Lion faithfull....something that they don't have in the Big 10 and something which would make there alumuni very happy

--those are just my thoughts...but again...I am very impressed with Mikey T and his new commitment to controlling the NE market

Jackson
06-16-2004 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I heard this in Morgantown last night....and I thought you guys might be interested...some folks were talking about future BE football expansion...and the Memphis/ECU idea was brought up...One of the guys said that the Big East can't make itself into something that its not...and the more money/publicity that does into this NYC bowl...the more the BE is going to make an effort to get teams that NYC and the East would be interested in watching.....I am not sure if that means Army+Navy and/or a school or two of higher profile....take it for what its worth but that is what was said

Jackson
06-17-2004 06:02 PM
pirate65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

the BE will go to a 12team all sports conference....the champ game will be in NYC......ND with its own tv deal,NAVY and Army will stay indy.....but will play BE schools......and be in someway tied into the NYC BE bowl game.....Memphis,ECU,and UCF will be added to the BE........if the new BE takes off Penn State....could jump....but there is just to much $$$$$$ there in the Big11 for them to jump to soon......if the BE dosn't split.....WVU and ECU get cherry picked by the SEC.......but i just think the BE is just to smart to let that happen 04-cheers
06-17-2004 07:31 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

Crappies

Jackson1011 Wrote:--As for Penn St....Joe Pa has gone on recrod as saying the BE is a better fit for his school sports wise...but the PSU will never leave the Big 10 because of that leagu's academic alliance....however if the BE adds Notre Dame and Army/Navy and forms a similar alliance for academics.....we may be able to at least put forth a competitive offer to PSU....A Big East made up of the current football members, ND and Army and NAvy would be Joe Pa's Eastern football league dream come true....vurtually every road game for PSU (except ND and USF) would be well withing driving range of the Nittany Lion faithfull....something that they don't have in the Big 10 and something which would make there alumuni very happy
I don't think ND, Army, and Navy could compete with the Big Televen academic arrangements. It's not a put-down of those schools academics, but just the fact that they don't focus on graduate-level research. PSU has been involved in research partnerships that have increased the $$ coming into their programs...ND, Army, and Navy can't replace that.
06-17-2004 07:56 PM
pirate65 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

99Tiger Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:--As for Penn St....Joe Pa has gone on recrod as saying the BE is a better fit for his school sports wise...but the PSU will never leave the Big 10 because of that leagu's academic alliance....however if the BE adds Notre Dame and Army/Navy and forms a similar alliance for academics.....we may be able to at least put forth a competitive offer to PSU....A Big East made up of the current football members, ND and Army and NAvy would be Joe Pa's Eastern football league dream come true....vurtually every road game for PSU (except ND and USF) would be well withing driving range of the Nittany Lion faithfull....something that they don't have in the Big 10 and something which would make there alumuni very happy
I don't think ND, Army, and Navy could compete with the Big Televen academic arrangements. It's not a put-down of those schools academics, but just the fact that they don't focus on graduate-level research. PSU has been involved in research partnerships that have increased the $$ coming into their programs...ND, Army, and Navy can't replace that.
ND, Army and Navy, will stay indy.....Army just left CUSA cause they got so beat up and couldn't compete......you see the military schools have this thing called a service comitment.......that coaches and ADs at these schools have tried for decades to have waved......the Pentagon always says, no......they would never join a conference like the Big East.....they would get beat up to bad. they want to play the SMUs, Northwesterns, Rice's,Baylor's, and Duke's of the college football world, not WVU. but i think if they have an outstanding year they can go to any bowl game they want........so why join a conference?....same with ND......they have a good year they go where they want....why if you are ND do you join a conference?.......i think the Big East goes to 12.....and has there champ game in NYC.......plus a bowl game in NYC 04-cheers
06-17-2004 08:34 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.