Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is the Marshall vs App State game the most important for CUSA and Sun Belt in decades?
Very Important
Not Important
Somewhat Important
Not Very Important
Neutral (no opinion)
[Show Results]

POLL: How important is the Marshall vs App State game?
Bookmark and Share
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Exclamation POLL: How important is the Marshall vs App State game?
Is the Marshall vs App State game Saturday on CBS the most important game for CUSA and Sun Belt in decades?

Yes or No. Why or why not?

That is the question I wanted to ask, but was too long for a thread title.

And I didn't want this discussion to just get lost in the other threads, so I thought it was important to create this dialogue here.

Yes or No, and why or why not?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020 10:24 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
09-15-2020 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
RE: POLL: How important is the Marshall vs App State game?
Because it is on a major network? I mean I think it's a great opp but I would not say most important in decades. This year will be an asterisk year for years to come as well.
09-15-2020 04:11 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Here is why I say yes, and it's not just because of Marshall.

I say this is the most important game from a perception changing CUSA perspective since the 2011 CUSA championship, when we had two ranked top 25 teams gutting it out on ESPN.

Nationally televised CBS games at 3:30 p.m. EST just don't get handed out every year.

On top of that, we have a ranked opponent, the winner guaranteed to cement a spot in the top 25 going forward.

This is a major rub opportunity for both conferences.
09-15-2020 04:14 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
It is the most important on the field game? no

It is the most important game for conference perception/recognition because of the potential size of the audience? yes

I voted yes because CUSA needs to make all of the noise we can on a national level in both football and basketball when we can since we don't get those opportunities very often.
09-15-2020 04:23 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2020 04:23 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  It is the most important on the field game? no

It is the most important game for conference perception/recognition because of the potential size of the audience? yes

I voted yes because CUSA needs to make all of the noise we can on a national level in both football and basketball when we can since we don't get those opportunities very often.

Completely agree. Not the most important game on the field we've had over the years, but this will go a long way in changing perception for either side.

It's a balls out game.
09-15-2020 04:29 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says it is unfortunate that marshal isn't playing the best lowly sun belt team.
09-15-2020 04:31 PM
Advertisement

Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I think it is more important for CUSA than it is for the Belt. Yes, it is important for the Belt too, but they just ran the table at Big 12 opponents, and we are wallowing at 1-6. In the big picture, the national landscape of college football, it is hardly a blip on the radar. The Big 12 got spanked, and that brought some chuckles from fans of other P5 conferences, but no one has assigned any real meaning to their 0-3 weekend. No one has elevated the Belt to some elite status either. Just got the Belt some respect and has set the table for them to build on it...if they can.

But, CUSA sucks. We stank it up last year, and the 1-6 start has already put us in a hole. For the sake of pride and a bit of prestige, we need the Herd to beat Appy State.
09-15-2020 04:34 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

This is the other thing that we all need to comprehend.

In covid world 2020, having many fans in the stands is a great emotional lift.

I know it was for me when we played on ESPN a couple weeks ago.

For example, I'm a suffering New York Giants fan, just watched my Giants get clobbered by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football. No fans.

Marshall is going to have a nationally broadcast game on CBS in front of 12,500 fans. That IMHO is going to look really good for both conferences.
09-15-2020 04:37 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I am curious, if you voted NO, then why?

Could you provide details?

Mind you, this is a free and open discussion, no ill intent here, I am just curious for feedback. Thanks all!
09-15-2020 05:23 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
I’m just pleased that because of this most of you will not be watching the Battle for the Palladium Part I, because really I don’t want to subject any of you to MT football this year. Friends don’t let friends watch 2020 MT football. You’re welcome.
09-15-2020 05:31 PM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
I voted no just because it's still just G5 vs G5. Despite the network picking it up, most viewers will still likely be Marshall and App fans. Important games still require one of us taking down someone in a shocking upset like the App-Michigan game. Those are the games, to me, that move the needle nationally.

Or alternatively, you need something ridiculous to happen that gets played for years to come like the UNT punt return against Arkansas that Fox Sports just posted about again today.

Thats the only stuff the P5 fans will remember.
09-15-2020 05:31 PM
Advertisement

DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Is it important- absolutely it is! Is it "the most important game for CUSA and Sun Belt in decades"? Absolutely not. This game doesn't decide anyone's season, it doesn't affect a potential Access Bowl slot, or a conference championship,... It is a head to head game between two of the best in each conference, so CUSA needs Marshall to win this game.
09-15-2020 05:50 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Cool. Thanks for your feedback.

But realize, there is a major psychological win for CUSA and Sun Belt getting this slot. Fans in the stands we're not even at many NFL games this weekend.

This is THE marquee SEC time slot. There will be many bars, many homes that will have this on . I disagree with one of the commenters that said their will only be Marshall and App State fans watching,

No sir, big no to that.

This is a major negotiating TV viewership opportunity for our next contract. We should have enough data with Marshall playing on ESPN a few weeks ago, and TV numbers from this matchup to build a much better case going forward.
09-15-2020 06:12 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2020 05:31 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I’m just pleased that because of this most of you will not be watching the Battle for the Palladium Part I, because really I don’t want to subject any of you to MT football this year. Friends don’t let friends watch 2020 MT football. You’re welcome.

Lol. MTSU will still find a way to pick off Marshall or WKU.

That would be such a CUSA thing to happen.
09-15-2020 06:51 PM
everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
My main no reason is it is G5 vs G5. If you were playing Alabama and beat them on CBS then yes, maybe the biggest game is decades. To the ignorant masses App State is either a university devoted to building phone apps or some small school that once beat Michigan.
09-15-2020 06:53 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2020 05:50 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  Is it important- absolutely it is! Is it "the most important game for CUSA and Sun Belt in decades"? Absolutely not. This game doesn't decide anyone's season, it doesn't affect a potential Access Bowl slot, or a conference championship,... It is a head to head game between two of the best in each conference, so CUSA needs Marshall to win this game.

We do know Sun Belt came out swinging in week 2, and want to take our lunch. Let me use a wrestling analogy (because, yes, I love wrestling).

One of these teams is going to get "the rub" from this matchup. And in wrestling, you don't have to win to get the rub. You can show out, look good and even in losing can gain respect and notoriety.

I think that will happen on Saturday, these will be two very evenly high-powered teams with A LOT on the line. I think we will represent CUSA well, and I believe App State will come swinging.

And I disagree with your sentiment, I know for a fact a lot of SEC fans here in Lexington are watching more CUSA, American and Sunbelt games because let's face it, half of the teams are not playing.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020 06:58 PM by rileylives.)
09-15-2020 06:54 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

It's Top Tier CUSA v. Top Tier SBC doesn't change much regardless of who wins. If Marshall got beat by Coastal or S. Alabama that would be important since it would be Top Tier losing to Bottom Tier. A big deal for Marshall yes, but it won't result in CUSA getting new found respect, that comes from P5 wins.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2020 07:14 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
09-15-2020 07:00 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I have to be completely honest. I'm a little shocked so many on here do not see the big picture ramifications on the line.

So far 66% of the vote is going towards "no"
09-15-2020 07:03 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
I think it is the most important game between the two conferences this season, but I'm not sure about the last 20 or so years. We certainly need Marshall to win. UTSA's win over Texas State was good for C-USA, and Charlotte's close loss to App was encouraging. But, we need Marshall to beat Appy, especially if both end up being the best programs in our conferences.
09-15-2020 07:08 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Yeah, I think it’s a pretty big deal. Cusa in the SEC afternoon honey slot? More people will tune in than they would on friggin Stadium or Facebook watch.
09-15-2020 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.