Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In Defense of Quo: Alabama is No. 2 in Sagarin
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
In Defense of Quo: Alabama is No. 2 in Sagarin
https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2022-2/coll...ings-2022/

On the other hand, Alabama is No. 5 in the Massey Composite.
01-01-2023 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
RE: In Defense of Quo: Alabama is No. 2 in Sagarin
Also #5 in simulated BCS rankings. Give me a composite over 1 single metric anyday.
01-01-2023 07:50 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Massey Composite has always been quo’s go-to source. He has argued many times that Massey Composite is the best because it’s an aggregate of computers as opposed to just one computer.

Alabama is #5 in Massey Composite.
01-01-2023 07:58 PM
EdwordL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KU, WVU
(01-01-2023 07:26 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2022-2/coll...ings-2022/

Hence, the expanded playoff: And as a result, 'Bama under Saban will probably never be left out again, at least until the ghost of Mike Price returns.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023 08:05 PM by EdwordL.)
01-01-2023 08:04 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Several years ago, folks would argue about who was 2/3 in the BCS. Today, we are arguing who is 4/5/6. In a few years, we will argue who is 12/13/14.
01-01-2023 08:16 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
Pretty sure Quo declared Bama national champs weeks ago. Kind of reminds me of UCF fans a couple years back.
01-01-2023 08:18 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
It's too bad they didn't win one more game. All those great computer ratings are worth as much as the year Wisconsin had the most players drafted in the NFL, and the most in the 1s round, but were 6-6 (but boy were they loaded on paper). Or put another way, that's why we play the game.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023 08:24 PM by Stugray2.)
01-01-2023 08:20 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(01-01-2023 08:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Several years ago, folks would argue about who was 2/3 in the BCS. Today, we are arguing who is 4/5/6. In a few years, we will argue who is 12/13/14.

I don’t think that argument will happen unless teams 9-12 actually win some championships with regularity. The basis for arguing 1 or 2 teams past the current format is the thought they would be genuinely competitive to win a championship.

The talent drops significantly after the 5th or 6th ranked team. But we shall see!
01-01-2023 08:23 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
And will likely be #1 if Georgia loses by a bit. Sagarin’s is a power ranking and lists most likely to win on a neutral field. Don’t have a problem with saying Alabama is the #2 best team in the country. Postseason play, however, is based on winning the games. Georgia or TCU will have won the ones that count. Alabama did not.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023 08:31 PM by Crayton.)
01-01-2023 08:31 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
The Massey Composite hasn’t been updated since December 3. It will not update again until all bowls and CFP championship are played. Alabama is #3 in the Sagarin rating shown on the Massey Composite if you want evidence. It’s disingenuous to make a comparison to old Massey numbers using updated Sagarin numbers.
01-01-2023 09:07 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Too bad games aren’t played on a spread sheet …. 07-coffee3
01-01-2023 09:10 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-01-2023 07:26 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2022-2/coll...ings-2022/

And Texas is #9 and Oklahoma #19.
01-01-2023 09:37 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-01-2023 08:23 PM)wleakr Wrote:  
(01-01-2023 08:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Several years ago, folks would argue about who was 2/3 in the BCS. Today, we are arguing who is 4/5/6. In a few years, we will argue who is 12/13/14.

I don’t think that argument will happen unless teams 9-12 actually win some championships with regularity. The basis for arguing 1 or 2 teams past the current format is the thought they would be genuinely competitive to win a championship.

The talent drops significantly after the 5th or 6th ranked team. But we shall see!

we see it in college hoops. Folks always argue the bubble teams more than the top teams. It's just natural I think.
01-01-2023 10:18 PM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn

Oh, just wait until roughly 2035, when we'll be having debates about who's #32 and who's #33.

A minority of this website will be complaining that the 32 team playoff is way too big. But most people will be like "who doesn't enjoy more football. This is just great, the #32 team in the country in the playoff. If you don't enjoy all these playoff games, you don't have to watch them."
01-02-2023 03:33 AM
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
(01-01-2023 10:18 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-01-2023 08:23 PM)wleakr Wrote:  

we see it in college hoops. Folks always argue the bubble teams more than the top teams. It's just natural I think.

Nobody except for the fans of the bubble teams cares l about what bubble teams get included and which bubble teams get excluded. However, debates about who should be #4 get the whole CFB world riled up.

I think that the debates about who's #12 and who's #13 will be somewhere in between the arguments about basketball bubble teams and the debates about who should make the current 4 team football playoff. It'll get more traction than bubble team debates, but not as much traction as 4 team playoff arguments.

Once the football playoff inevitably expands to 24 or 32 teams, it'll be at the point where nobody except for the fans of the (allegedly) sleighted teams will care in about who's excluded.
01-02-2023 03:41 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
To me, it is kind of weird that I need "defense" over the idea that Alabama - ALABAMA - is better than TCU or Michigan.

IMO, they obviously have better players and better coaches, and what else is there?

Performance on the field? Alabama played an SEC schedule and won all its games save for two at-the-buzzer losses to good SEC teams on the road. IMO that is better performance than going 12-1 or 13-0 vs B1G and Big 12 schedules. Is it really that controversial to assert that the SEC is the best league so wins there should count for more?

And then after what Alabama did to the Big 12 champ, a team that bested TCU in Dallas, a TCU team that dumped Michigan?

I bet that if Alabama was playing TCU or Michigan this week, they'd be at least a TD favorite over both.

And yet I keep getting told stuff like "Alabama's best win was over Texas, while TCU's was over Kansas State and Michigan's was over Ohio State and Alabama lost two games", stuff that IMO does nothing to detract from the IMO obviousness that Alabama is better and that if they played next week just about all of us would expect Alabama to win.

Oh well.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023 08:21 AM by quo vadis.)
01-02-2023 08:19 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-01-2023 07:58 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Massey Composite has always been quo’s go-to source. He has argued many times that Massey Composite is the best because it’s an aggregate of computers as opposed to just one computer.

Alabama is #5 in Massey Composite.

That's very true. I love the MC and IMO it is the best source.

But it isn't perfect. And IMO this is one time where it isn't/wasn't.
01-02-2023 08:23 AM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
“Who does Number 2 work for?”

12 team playoff couldn’t come soon enough. But the committee got the right 4 teams this year. SOS isn’t based on perception of the SEC or undervalued perceptions of the BigXII or BigTen. *And this is why a 4 team playoff is inadequate. 12 is much better because it would be silly complaining about who’s #12.

Two undefeated and two 1-loss teams, with SOS ratings per many computer ratings, as strong as Alabama’s SOS rating = Alabama, with 2 losses, does not make this years 4 team playoff…sorry. You got all your money and got to play in a NYD Bowl so I’m not sure why people are crying and moaning about Bama.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2023 08:36 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
01-02-2023 08:23 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-01-2023 08:31 PM)Crayton Wrote:  And will likely be #1 if Georgia loses by a bit. Sagarin’s is a power ranking and lists most likely to win on a neutral field. Don’t have a problem with saying Alabama is the #2 best team in the country. Postseason play, however, is based on winning the games. Georgia or TCU will have won the ones that count. Alabama did not.

About the bolded, IMO Alabama is probably the #2 best team, after Georgia. Coaching and talent exceed anyone but Georgia. I say probably because Ohio State has similar talent, it might be Ohio State. But IMO Alabama is no worse then #2/#3, and with a month of preparation I would favor them to beat anyone in a playoff game save for Georgia.

Just MO.
01-02-2023 08:26 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The very idea of ranking teams is already absurd on its face. Team A could be better than Team B, and Team C could be better than Team A, and Team B could be better than Team C. Some teams' strengths and weaknesses just match up better against some teams than they do against others.

I have no problem saying that Alabama is one of the five best teams in the country, but I can't narrow it down any further than that. And clearly, neither can Sagarin, or Massey or anyone else. What I am confident in saying is that it would be extremely rare if a team outside the top 8 were capable of winning a three round single elimination FBS tournament.

In my mind, expanding the CFP beyond 12 makes no sense if the goal is to produce a worthy national champion.
01-02-2023 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.