ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Other College Hoops Thread
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Other College Hoops Thread
Just a thread for non ODU related hoops.

One thing to note that scoring is up through the first few days due to the new charge/block rules, which I'm a big fan of. More free throws, but I think that will be ironed out.

Mehki Long came off the bench but played 22 minutes. Jaylin Hunter played 31 minutes but was 1-9 from 3.

Battle for the Belt:

Great concept, IMO. Troy beat Ohio last night.

Tonight we have JMU at Kent State with Kent State a 3.5 point favorite. It looks like MAC is the favorite in the first couple games but the SB has 8 teams in the KenPom top 200 compared to 5 for MAC.

Also interesting to me that Andrew Taylor averaged 20 points a game last year, transfers to Miss State and plays 11 minutes off the bench.
11-09-2023 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Other College Hoops Thread
If Radford somehow beats VCU on 11/15 and then we beat Radford on 11/29, we can at least claim victory over VCU by transitive property this year. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
11-13-2023 07:30 PM
odubsu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
Penn upsets #21 Villanova 76-72
11-13-2023 09:18 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

How the heck does JMU get ranked with just one good win? Just looked at their schedule and it’s so weak. They’ll probably stay ranked until conference play because they may run the gauntlet ooc.
11-13-2023 10:23 PM
LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

(11-13-2023 10:23 PM)monarx Wrote:  How the heck does JMU get ranked with just one good win? Just looked at their schedule and it’s so weak. They’ll probably stay ranked until conference play because they may run the gauntlet ooc.

Really? Oh I don’t know, maybe beating #4 at home…or beating a team with a 23 game home win streak in 2OT on the road, or scoring 107 against a crap team, but absolutely dominating teams they should. They are good and we’ll just be 3 more wins for them.
11-13-2023 10:26 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 10:23 PM)monarx Wrote:  How the heck does JMU get ranked with just one good win? Just looked at their schedule and it’s so weak. They’ll probably stay ranked until conference play because they may run the gauntlet ooc.

Bc the rankings are based on buzz and JMu got buzz from the Michigan State win. They dont really play many tough teams so they have a chance to stay up there but they are 85ish in KenPom.

There are good. They are probably not top 25 good
11-13-2023 10:30 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(11-13-2023 10:30 PM)Stat Geek Wrote:  

Bc the rankings are based on buzz and JMu got buzz from the Michigan State win. They dont really play many tough teams so they have a chance to stay up there but they are 85ish in KenPom.

Are any metrics worth **** this early on? Human poles aren’t any better but they have a couple good wins early, so people take notice. If they keep winning they will probably keep their spot but drop a game and it’s over. Still some nice early resume games that we missed on.
11-13-2023 11:04 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe thats the trick. Schedule one ranked team early on where they can be tripped up early. If you get lucky, you win and get ranked. Then just play nobodies until conference play. Build up buzz, convert that into recruiting wins and enjoy it until the holidays. Something tells me if we had snuck past Ball State and somehow won tonight ODU would not be ranked next week though. Just saying. Ill be so glad to beat them this year.
11-13-2023 11:24 PM
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

(11-13-2023 11:24 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Maybe thats the trick. Schedule one ranked team early on where they can be tripped up early. If you get lucky, you win and get ranked. Then just play nobodies until conference play. Build up buzz, convert that into recruiting wins and enjoy it until the holidays. Something tells me if we had snuck past Ball State and somehow won tonight ODU would not be ranked next week though. Just saying. Ill be so glad IF WE beat them this year.

Fixed it for ya LOL
11-14-2023 07:37 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I just have to believe there are some transitive properties between having a nationally ranked football team and upsetting a nationally ranked basketball team on the road. Put it all together, you get a nationally ranked basketball team ( for a while).
11-14-2023 08:09 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
Whatever. We were ranked before they were 02-13-banana
11-14-2023 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

(11-13-2023 11:24 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Maybe thats the trick. Schedule one ranked team early on where they can be tripped up early. If you get lucky, you win and get ranked. Then just play nobodies until conference play. Build up buzz, convert that into recruiting wins and enjoy it until the holidays. Something tells me if we had snuck past Ball State and somehow won tonight ODU would not be ranked next week though. Just saying. Ill be so glad to beat them this year.

This pretty much sums up VT football during the Beamer years #overrated.
11-14-2023 09:19 AM
Special Teams

Agreed - they are good, but they're not the 24th best team in the country.
11-14-2023 09:21 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Tonight would be a good night to check out Princeton. They are a good team. Duquense is also good and has been on fire.
11-15-2023 09:05 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Also Radford/VCU.....can we see Radford take them??
11-15-2023 09:05 AM
odubsu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
At the half. Radford 33 - VCU 33
11-15-2023 07:49 PM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Really good win for Princeton
11-15-2023 09:54 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(11-15-2023 09:54 PM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Really good win for Princeton

They look good. They can shoot, they can handle the ball, and those back door plays are back breakers. But they make just enough mistakes that we might be able to pull this one out. They step on the sideline just as much as we do.
11-15-2023 11:34 PM
Special Teams

I watched some of the Radford/vcu game last night. Radford has a decent team and a pretty good schedule this year. They will be tough in the Big South. They wilted down the stretch, but vcu shot the ball much better in the 2nd half and the refs at the Costco Center were not giving Radford anything. vcu has some pieces and will win some games, but that team's not scary.

Speaking of vcu it's funny how irrelevant they seeming are as a program and how little I think of them (and Mason) these days. With the renewed rivalry with JMU that's been kicked up several notches and all our other nearby Sun Belt foes, I don't really miss a couple of vcu basketball games as much as I thought I would. This year is a good example - we replaced a mediocre vcu team with playing a ranked JMU a few times. Rams fans are probably beside themselves. I certainly wouldn't trade what we have with football and the Sun Belt for a game with vcu. In fact, without football and nearby conference foes, I think vcu continues to slip into irrelevance. They may spring up in March every now and then, but other than that they seem to be an afterthought around the state, especially this time of year, when football is center stage.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023 08:37 AM by Can't Tame the Lion.)
11-16-2023 08:32 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

FYI - Radford plays JMU tomorrow night at 7 espn+
11-16-2023 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.